• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

JSwan...how do you deal w/Chucky??!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSwan...how do you deal w/Chucky??!!

Sniff, sniff. My rooster has turned on me. Raised the b*****d in the house for the first 14 weeks of his life. Hormones have kicked in and I swear he's stalking me. I was talking baby talk to him the other day, he was cocking his head hanging on my every word, turned around and the flogging began. Damn if I didn't wack and he came back for more.

His name WAS ROOfus and now I'm thinking it's Tyson. I've got 2 and the second one may be renamed Purdue as he's been eyeing me too.

Do I really need them to protect my hens??!!

Hubby grew up on a working farm and is used to eating the food he raised but he's having a hard time thinking about eating our roos.

The buggers weigh about 8#'s so doing the grabbing by the legs, turning them upside down, etc. just doesn't seem like any fun. I'd do it if I knew it would nip it in the bud. Time for dinner??!!
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

All that I can think of when you say the name "Chuckie" is that creepy horror movie. I only watched the ads when it first came out...could never watch the movie.

Can't imagine living with a rooster named Chuckie...he must be possessed! This reminds me of a fabulous thread posted by Jilltx a few years back about "El Pollo Diablo". Thought I'd wet my pants!
    www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
    "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
    Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Ahhh, but Chucky is an appropriate name for a rooster. Short and evil, LOL!
      Have you seen Bride of Chucky? That one was pretty hilarious in a tacky way.
      Carrying them upside down helps some. With others it seems to make them pretty vindictive.
      Many times as a kid either myself or my siblings could be seen running shrieking through the backyard with a cheesed off rooster attached to use beating, pecking and spurring. All roosters we had were named Rex...I think Rex XIV was the worst that I remember...but then we did skip Rex XIII to make sure we didn't have a 13th rooster...that trick didn't work.
      I think JSwan's idea of using a tennis racket is pretty decent.
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

Oh I rue the day that I adopted Tucker ( short for Kentucky as in KFC) . His name should be *ucker, he is a bad ass rooster famous for his fly bys.
        I have kicked him like a football across the ring, he is less likely to attack me but not reformed.
        If you are timid about that method of rooster training then try a hose, nothing else seems to discourage him, I have advanced rooster training for the little kids that are really intimidated but the swift aggressive advance seems to register with this cock. I won't cook him and the playful moments he has with my large GS mix are priceless. We have thought about videoing the frolic of rooster/dog moments and putting it up on you tube but I would incur the wrath of PETA.

Comment

Ya knows guys...it should be *required* that everyone on here with evil roosters HAS to video these antics and post them for us to laugh....erm...offer support for.
          You jump in the saddle,
          Hold onto the bridle!
          Jump in the line!
          ...Belefonte

Comment

I have a lawn mower box full of baby Australorps and Delawares in my kitchen right now. I live in fear that one of them is a rooster. I've had hens my whole life, and we (family and now me) have avoided/eliminated them at the first opportunity. Good luck. It kind of oocks me out, thinking of eating fertilized eggs... (where's that sick icon when you need it??)

I've had luck just rehoming them to folks who love having them around. Or giving them to folks who eat them... I just can't do that to a chicken I've lovingly raised to lay me eggs for its life.
            Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

OMG, your post gave me the shivers . As a teen, I have a vivid recollection of trying to shoo the hens in the henhouse, and our rhode island red roosteer coming up behind me and driving both spurs into the muscle on either side of my spine. My dad had to pull him off me, and I made a trip to the ER to deal with the inch deep puncture wounds.

I HATE roosters!

Comment

• Original Poster

Devil Roo doesn't have his spurs yet but I'm thinking farm life won't be as fun anymore with these roosters.

I know how I feel about rehoming vicious animals of any kind and don't know if I'm comfortable pawning him/them off on others. Sigh.
                "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Comment

Eat him! Sorry, I'm not much help.
                  Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Last Wed. my daughter and granddaughters were up to the farm here I mentioned to her the two year old rooster had just started attacking me when I gathered eggs. She must have wanted a part in the movie " Cold Back Mountain " cause first thing she said was " Lets put him in a pot " and next thing I know thats where he was. Kids love gathering eggs getting attacked not so much, problem solved and supper cooking.
                    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

We had a Blue Andalusian rooster that was the MEANEST creature I've ever met. He would attack, flog you and then strut off and crow. I kicked him across the yard many times and he'd just come back for more. If you chased him he'd run but as soon as you stopped he'd rush right back at you. A dog injured him and hubby put him down. I feel mean saying this but I didn't feel sorry for him.

My suggestion? Try a different breed. We have Polish, one white crested blue and one buff laced. They are the STUPIDEST, most COWARDLY roos I've ever met but they don't make me bleed so I like them

Comment

My experience has been once they start only death will stop them. Usually they are your "hand raised" roosters. Phoenix, Buttercup and Old English Games are particularly aggressive. My DH's really mad at me because I won't let him kill my Buttercup rooster, Speckles. Very, very aggressive.

Comment

Yup. Mean roosters land in the pot!!
                          I have no time for bad behavior when it comes to chickens...
                          -Jessica

Comment

Chucky is getting on my last nerve.

I know what the answer is. It's chicken and dumplings.

But my neighbor did the same to his evil rooster and then lost his flock soon after. Whatever his faults - that rooster keeps the hens together and near or under shelter - and always patrols when they're out in the open.

I really and truly do love animals, but I tell you plain - that rooster may be the most evil animal I have ever known.

It's one thing to have a fit of temper or be a bit protective - quite another to lie in wait and beat the crap out of a person when his back is turned.

I swear on the Bible this is what happens.

I open the back door and off in the distance I see a head pop up. I start putting up laundry, or maybe fill the water bowl... only to turn around to see that SOB has raced about 200 feet towards me. Fast little bas**rd.

As soon as he sees me, he freezes. Then he starts pecking the ground perfectly innocently.

Turn my back - and I hear pitter patter pitter patter - turn around - Chucky freezes about 10 feet from me.

I warn him to keep away from me - and he flares his neck feathers, puts his head down - and attacks.

Out comes my tennis racket. Ffffwwwwiiiing... and Chucky is booted away, unhurt.

SOB comes back for more - this time he flies up in the air with talons towards me.
                            Fwwwwwiiing - I score another point.

Chucky gives me the evil eye and walks away.

That only lasts a few minutes, though. He's right back at it as soon as I turn my back, and God forbid I try and bend over. He weighs about 10-12 pounds - and when he hits you it really does hurt and bruise - especially if he spurs you.

Yesterday I cut the grass in the back yard and the SOB ran over and stood right in front of the mower. Can you believe that? I mean he just purposefully walked over and STOOD in the path of the mower.

Well... I stopped the mower and idled it - sitting there waiting for him to move out of the way.

Nope - he wanted ME to move out of the way. Then he flared his neck feathers and got ready to charge.

I put that mower in 6th gear and revved it - yelling - YOU UNGRATEFUL *!(*#)!!*&# I brought you into this world and I can take you out!!!!!!!!

And he hopped out of the way at the last second. I turned my head to see if he was going to attack me from behind and I ran right into the laundry line.

Not sure who won that particular battle but only one of us emerged with our dignity intact.

My most recent bright idea was to wear a halloween mask on the back of my head so he thinks I'm looking at him when my back is turned. Like what people do in tiger country. I have no self-respect left.

The answer to your question is that I have not found anything that will keep Chucky from not acting according to his nature. I bet he'd be one heck of a fighting cock.

He's going in the pot soon. Unless one of y'all have a better idea. For what it's worth - I did not handraise this flock and do not treat them like little feather children. My hens are nice and henlike - and the rooster is just acting like a rooster. He was supposed to be a Speckled Sussex... but the order got screwed up and he's either a RIR or maybe a Welsummer. Looks like RIR to me. Sure as he** acts like one.
                            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

OMG, JSwan: my rooster was reincarnated and lives with you!!

Gosh that sounds familar.... Mine would actually wait at the bottom of the porch for me. I'm not sure why but he wouldn't chase me up onto the porch.

And if you bent over near him, he LOVED to jump on your back and flog you.

The hubby and I are both in law enforcement and probably a bit more paranoid than the average people, so those suprise attacks didn't go over very well....

As far as rooster effectiveness goes, I haven't lost a hen since that jerk went to the big coop in the sky... Our new roos are not near as evil but seem to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                                My experience has been once they start only death will stop them. Usually they are your "hand raised" roosters. Phoenix, Buttercup and Old English Games are particularly aggressive. My DH's really mad at me because I won't let him kill my Buttercup rooster, Speckles. Very, very aggressive.

Not to change the subject but am I seeing blue laced red brahmas in that photo?

And to get back on the subject, I had a mille fluer roo. Thank gawd he was little as his name was boots but soon became bastard instead. He went down the street to a guy who wanted him for breeding. He did stalk us but was too damn small to cook. I mean he was like a 5 minute microwave job.

I have been told that fighting back at roos make them even worse. Of course what the heck are you supposed to do when they attack? I know a trash can lid works well
                                "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

Well, this really truly sound horrible and like animal abuse.. because it was..

when I was a kid we had chickens. They were my mothers whim one summer. Mind you, my mother really didn't go outside much. You get the idea.

Anyway, she BOUGHT a rooster. Big thing. My dad had to tell his hunting dogs to not kill it. So they ignored it. Eventually the rooster decided he was The Man. And he came after me.

I happened to be holding a riding crop; I had just gotten off my pony.

I have always been a fighter. 3 brothers, two older than me.. you come after me I will fight until the death (or 'til a parent catches you, as it were).

I dropped the reins and went after him. He fought for a few minutes and then decided to run. I was mad. My dads dogs were all at attention, waiting for the word.

I yelled GET HIM! And we all took off after his now former Bad Boy self. Chased him thru the barn and into a stall, 4 big hunting dogs of unknown parentage and I. He ran into the corner and stuck his head under the feeder. The dogs pulled all his tail feathers out trying to get him. He managed to squish himself into a very tiny hole under there.

Eventually we all gave up and left.

He came out the next day.

He was rather timid after that.

In retrospect I kinda feel bad but after reading all your stories maybe I don't. I think I was 7 or 8 years old.
                                  "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                  ---
                                  The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

[quote=JSwan;

I really and truly do love animals, but I tell you plain - that rooster may be the most evil animal I have ever known.[/quote]
                                    JSwan you made me laugh and laugh and laugh. Thanks I needed that

Comment

Originally posted by ponygirl View Post
                                      Not to change the subject but am I seeing blue laced red brahmas in that photo?
                                      blue laced red wyandottes

Comment

These stories are great!

I never had a rooster... but I had a few hens...
                                        PotPie
                                        Nugget
                                        Noodle
                                        and Henrietta (the only nice one)
                                        2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X