• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New farm--Need advice from those with no climb fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New farm--Need advice from those with no climb fence

Hi everyone,
    To those who have installed and are maintaining no climb horse fence with a top board--what do I need to know before installing and about maintaining? Will a handy brother-in-law with a semi-handy lackie (DH) and I (not all that handy pharmacist/horse owner who will do the research to make sure its done properly) be able to install it ourselves? (we have access to a post hole digger etc.). It looks to be slightly...complicated We'll be fencing an area that's between 2 and 3 acres (winter sacrifice paddock).
    I've watched the videos on the Redbrand website and learned a lot by searching this forum (e.g. going with a 5 ft fence )...but im looking for insider tips and advice--what not to do etc. I know that gates & corners need to be braced but that's about it.
    I've read that they need to be tightened...how does one go about doing that? Please excuse the dumb questions...such things are not intuative to me
    Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Originally posted by higgs View Post
    I've read that they need to be tightened...how does one go about doing that?
    You will want to get a tool like this one: http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...&Special=false

My husband did install our woven wire fencing himself. We hired someone to put the posts in and had them driven in. But my husband did the wire and top board himself. He used a small tractor and that tool to stretch the wire. Mostly, I just stayed out of the way

We have had our fence up for probably 4 years and have done minimal maintenance on it - I think he may have re-tightened a section or two of the fence after the first year and that is it.

We used the Red Brand wire in the 4' height. Added a top rail with a small gap between it and the wire and then put hot wire (Electrobraid) a few inches above the top rail. Our fence is approx 4' 6" tall.

Comment

Love, love, love our 5' non-climb. We live in rocky MA. We dug three post holes ourselves, then hired a backhoe to come and do the rest. It was expensive but worth it. Don't hesitate to call Red Brand. They were very helpful. Once you get the hang of running the fence on the outside of the posts at the corners and on the inside of the posts on the lines, it goes pretty easy. You need a fence tightener, and you need somethings to attach to the fence and to attach the fence tightener to. My farrier had made a tool that he loaned us, but others have said that they made a bracket of wood. The problem is that the fence tightener has one hook, and you have to distribute the pull along the entire fence. You can build something with two pieces of wood and wing nuts that fasten through the mesh. Then when you attach the fence tighener, the pull is distributed along the wood.

Comment

Absolutely don't use any other brand of fence other than Red Brand. The others might be the same gauge but I've found them all to be brittle instead of Red Brand. RB actually does what it says & stretches before breaking. The others just take a small hit & then they expose sharp wires. Also the bottoms of the others aren't wrapped as well & are literally just sharp wires at each wrap pointing down. Really will cut up a horse that gets it's leg under it. RB is well wrapped. This sounds dumb but be sure to put the smooth side against the horse & on the horse side of the posts. A friend just had a "professional" fencing job done & the entire 20 acres is done with the sharp part next to the horses & on the outside of the posts.
        I found that the bigger fence posts are of course the best, a true 5-6" round post with bigger at every gate. Also I wish I'd measured every gate I was installing so the fit would be tighter. Less chance of leg getting caught between gate & post. First fence we pounded in sand at every post. NEVER AGAIN!!! What a pain. Now, just dump in powdered concrete. Also fence post 8 feet with 3 feet in the ground.
        I like to wrap all the joined areas & areas at posts, etc instead of using the quick connect brackets as it's smother without the sharp edges.
        One guy who built one of my fences placed the pull posts then put the fence on the INSIDE. What a mess. Saggy!
        Have fun & buy some gatoraid!! That's hard work!
        Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
        www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Comment

Originally posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
          Absolutely don't use any other brand of fence other than Red Brand. The others might be the same gauge but I've found them all to be brittle instead of Red Brand. RB actually does what it says & stretches before breaking. The others just take a small hit & then they expose sharp wires. Also the bottoms of the others aren't wrapped as well & are literally just sharp wires at each wrap pointing down. . . .
          Ok, I'm going to disagree. We have Baekert (not sure of the spelling) & I have compared it to Red Brand & I think the brand we have is much better. I'm pretty sure Poltroon (who posted about their 5' high fence with the black vinyl rail top) also has Baekert.

We had our fence professionally installed (with the posts driven, NOT put in post holes). It has been over 4 years now & it is beautiful - no maintenance at all. Before we had our fence installed, our installer brought samples of Red Brand & Baekert & gave us a choice of either one at the same price - it was so obvious with the two side by side that the Baekert was much better, much heavier gauge wire for one thing.

Anyway, I love no climb. By the way, we have about 3,600 linear feet of no climb on the perimeter of our property so we have quite a lot of it.

Comment

Yeah, I spelled it wrong. I believe this is the fencing we have:

http://www.bekaert.com/en/Product%20...b%20Fence.aspx

It's spelled BEKAERT!

Comment

We have that Red brand too and I am very happy with it. You must pull it very tight.
              It's helpful to set a separate pulling post in concrete but you don't have to, but it is a very good idea to set at least your corner posts in concrete, and definitly brace them well.

If you can borrow, rent or hire someone with a post driver it will make your life much easier.

The fence stretcher thing someone else posted was a pain in the a#$. That lasted about a half a day when we did our fence and we got sick of it.

We pulled ours with a tractor, I have seen people pull it with a truck.

Roll out the whole roll along the posts. Make sure that it is set the right way (the smooth side of the knots to the inside, the red wire toward the top) and we put the fence on the inside of the posts to make it harder for the horses to push it. Some folks put it on the outside for aesthetics but IMHO safety and practicality are more important.
              Anyway, at the end of the fence roll, take two 2x4s and lay them parallel to the edge of the fence about 2 or 3" in from it. Nail them together (we used a nail gun, but you can use a hammer, they just need to be nailed well) then take your pull strap and tie one end to what you are pulling with, then wrap it around the 2x4s several times going through the fence, then wrap the other end of the pull strap to whatever you are pulling with (tractor, truck bumper whatever). The key is to tie evenly so you get even tension on the fence.
              Also plan what fence line you will put up when. We cross fenced and found it was easier to do one particular fence before another due to how we had to pull it, etc.

Go to the beginning of the fence line, and secure that end. Many people use fencing staples, we nailed them in with a pneumatic nailer. We just put the generator in the truck bed with the compressor and went at it.
              One person gets in the pulling vehicle and then begins pulling forward SLOWLY while the other person starts the beginning of the fence and sets it up onto the posts, making sure the bottom is where it needs to be etc.
              Once the fence is pulled tight and is where you need it, go to the beginning and start tacking it down.

It was much faster, and tighter than trying to go down the fence line pulling it with a hand stretcher. We did five acres.
              "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

We have some diamond mesh that is a good 60 years old and still looks like new.

For a wire stretching fence tool, we use two 2x4's, that we drilled two holes in and bolt together, the wire sandwiched in the middle and then stretch it with a chain on two points on the boards and a simple cable comealong.

Still have the original, half century boards, so it works, no one broke them.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for the advice so far everyone, definately useful
                  I haven't been able to find info on post spacing...is 12 ft OK or does it need to be 8? We are going to have to go with 9 or 10 foot posts since we must go down 4 feet to get below the frost line here so would like to save money where we can (without sacrificing durability or safety).

Do you find the fence needs to be re-tightened over time? If so how is that done, do you need to undo one end and re-stretch or is there an easier way?
                  Thanks again!

Comment

The closer your posts are the stronger your fence will be. Just make sure to put them at a distance where you can easily get the top rail. (12' or less) and remember to measure the posts so the measuring point is in the middle of the post so the boards will fit.

Our fence has been up for 6 years so far, and we haven't had to tighten it or anything. I don't know how you could without really effin up the whole thing.
                    A couple of the first sections we did have a couple of saggy places, but that was only due to our inexperience in putting it up. The rest of it that we put up after we figured out what was what are doing great and stayed nice and tight.
                    Reiterating that you definitely need a post driver.
                    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Baekert (spellling might not be right) is first choice for me. It's hot dipped galvanized as opposed to electrocoated.

One of the most important things is not to kink it when you roll it out. Roll it out in place beside the posts with the top away from the fence. Get as many hands as possible to roll it up into place without letting it fold enough to kink. It's not hard but you have to make everyone pay attention to what they are doing.

You need some kind of puller. I use a "rope puller" which looks like a "comealong" that normally has a cable but it will clamp onto 1/2" twisted rope which can go as far as necessary to tie to something secure to tighten the fence. Drill 3 or 4 holes through 2 2x4s and bolt that to the fence to do the pulling. If you have two really big helpers who can bench press over 400lbs., like I do-have such helpers not bench press 400, then you don't need the above.

The night before, or sometime before you start to work on the fence itself, take a hammer and a hard block of wood or metal-like an anvil-and tap the legs of the staples straight. They come all sorts of ways in the box and usually the legs point away from each other and splay in all sorts of odd ways as you drive them. Anything shorter than 1 1/4" makes it easy to hit your fingers and you probably should use at least 1 1/2" anyway. Don't drive them into the post as hard as you can to include denting in the wire. It makes it very hard to get them back out if you ever, or whenever, you need to do a repair. Just tight enough to hold snuggly.

Set your corner posts STRONGLY.
                      www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Bekeart!
                        We put up Red Brand fence 13 years ago and have had to replace ALL of it because it rusted and stretched out. It looked awful after only 5 years.
                        We replaced it with Bekeart, which still looks great after 5 years. You should NOT have to tighten your fence unless something runs into it. I will buy no other brand.
                        The corners are the key. Make sure they are properly braced and use big posts.
                        Consider having the posts driven. We have augered holes and it is a no brainer that it is worth EVERY PENNY to have the posts driven instead!
                        april
                        Equine Retirement at
                        www.StonyRidgeFarm.webs.com

Comment

1. Post should be in ground around 3 feet? Deep
                          2. Water at base of post while adding dirt back in and tamp down to eliminate air pockets and make post solid in ground (like concrete).
                          3. Corners should be thicker posts - 3 post in an "L" shape with cross beams nailed in - use LARGE Nails - around 4 - 6 inches long and thick. Pre-drill hole in end of the post that's going sideways in the "L".
                          l----l----l (Like this with center "l" the middle of the corner and the thickest post - we use telephone poles or marine - dock - poles).

For gates (NOT in corners) just use l-----l GATE l-----l
                          Why do you need these? Because when you adhere one side of the fencing to the first post you'll be pulling it with a tractor (til tractor stalls out) OR a pickup truck. Idea is to pull it taunt then tack it to fence post, wrapping fence wire around post.

4. Distance between fence posts is no more than 12 feet - we usually do 10 feet. If you're putting a board on top it'll be shorter than that.

And always pull a line before starting to put poles in - you want it straight.
                          Now in Kentucky

Comment

If at all possible you should definately use locust posts and don't forget to string hotwire over the top or the beavers will eat your boards and lean over you fence!
                            The rider casts his heart over the fence,
                            the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Comment

After installing 1000's 1000's of bf of both 4 board, and no climb with my extended family on our farm; I will encourage you to pay the man to drive the posts. ( I will never operate an auger again, the man is worth it, and he can do hundreds in a day.)

Comment

• Original Poster

if posts are driven do corners/braces still require cementing?

I've emailed Bekaert about suppliers in Ontario. It seems the local Home Hardware (national chain in Canada) sells "Rangemaster" no climb fence--it has the EXACT same description, specs & picture as the Redbrand--anyone know if the two companies are affiliated?

Thanks again!

Comment

Well, the professional fence installer who did our no-climb DID drive the posts & did NOT put corner posts in concrete. I can tell you that 4-1/2 years later the fence is still perfect. I think driving the posts is the very best way, at least in this area.

Comment

Our corner posts are not in concrete. The guy dug the holes with a backhoe. Our rocky New England soil, though, may be like concrete.

Comment

We have 1 no climb field. Although I love it, asking my SO to do another would probably leave me single Its the only job on the farm he I saw him really grumpy from. The rest of our fields are flexi vinyl and/or coated wire - he doesn't mind doing those.
                                      Epona Farm
                                      Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by higgs View Post
                                        if posts are driven do corners/braces still require cementing?
                                        I am not cemented or braced, and we have a mix of clay and loam soil. The corners are fine, I tried to not make a square corner wherever possible though. The angled corner is nice because horses can't squash each other in a corner this way.

Comment

Working...
                                        X