• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fencing has been left up to me. HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fencing has been left up to me. HELP

So I have been given the job of deciding whats going to be best for fencing on a farm that I take care of for a city person. Right now I care for his 2 horses and 2 cows(will be more by summers end) and the current fencing needs to be torn down and started from new.

I am not sure how much land is there but there is atleast 120 acres to be fenced (some is hay fields that wont be pasture until late fall). The good thing is that my 3 horses will be moved there as soon as fence is up, the barn and stalls are there.

I know that along the road frontage will be board which is mainly the hay fields. There is 20 acres that leads to the old dairy barn that will be only for the cows, another section off the barn will be for the goats(5) and donkey he plans to get which will probably be 5+/- acres. Then the horse's will get a laneway to an upper pasture that is nearly 15 acres and then there will be a couple other smaller pastures built for the horse's too.

He has hired a company to come in and do the pastures but it is up to me as to what type of fencing goes in. I have yet to be given a spending limit on this project.

So really I guess the question is what are going to be the best fencing options for horses, goats, and cows. All will be in different areas of the property so fencing does not have to be the same it just needs to look nice. The only board fencing that he wants to do is around the road frontage so that is not an option for everything.

No climb with a board on top - probably don't need something quite that nice for the cows - but it looks very nice!!

Comment

I agree with no climb. Especially with the goats. The cows can probably deal with high tension wire if they are in a back field somewhere but if you are going to move different animals around, then no climb is your best bet. And if it's wide open space, then do the board on top so the horses can see it. Otherwise, for my pasture, I have a high tension wire on top. If big fat Louie is wanting to press on it, he's not pressing on the no climb.
      If you have a problem with animals coming onto your property from the hay field, you might want to think about no climb there too. If you want it to look classy, then maybe a 4 board with a low hot wire to shock dogs and low critters.
      Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

I have 140 acres of High Tensile for our horses and cattle and love it!!!!! Very easy to maintain, livestock respects it, fast to put up, and the price is cheap.
        Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

You might want to ask about budget first since it will dictate materials. Knowing what noclimb costs I think you'd give the owner a heart attack. I fenced in 7 acres with the stuff and it was $$$$ to do so. They also will lean and scratch on it unless you run something to keep them off of it like electric tape. Speaking of electric, I'd look at HorseGuard if budget is very tight. We had it at another farm as perimeter and it held up to 3 major hurricanes which surprised all of us. Never had an issue with horses escaping as they stayed clear of it.
          "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

Horses goats and cattle?

No climb with an oak sight board.

Works great for just about every species and helps keep out marauding dogs and feral hogs.

I don't dislike high tensile but for goats.... they'll get out.

Question - why would you fence a hayfield? I'd not fence a hayfield at all - waste of money and equipment might bugger it up.

If you plan to rotate livestock in and out of different pastures you'd want to go with a fence that works for multiple species.

If the animals will only be rotated within their own fields -then you may want to go with what's best for that species.

But many people would prefer a single "look" for their farm. Depends on how serious this guy is about farming. Is this a rich guy that wants to play farmer on the weekends - you know - bring the city folk down for wine and cheese on the deck overlooking his horsies? He might prefer the place look uniform and beautiful throughout, or cost may not be a significant factor.

Or does the owner intend to run a real dairy/horse/beef/goat operation?

To me - that would make a difference (if I was the operator).

What some people do is have a "nice looking" fence bordering roads or driveways, and then switch to high tensile for the rest of it. It dresses up the place but still remains economical.

Others might decide to use the same fence throughout - and rotate multiple species into fields as part of their management plan. (goats rotate in to clear the weeds/brush left behind by horses, then pigs rotate in to prepare seedbeds/aerate, cattle in first to graze it down, etc.)
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

After owning several farms and putting up different fencing, the kind I prefer THE MOST is the horseguard tape. It is economical, looks great, fairly easy to install. You MSUT MUST MUST buy HORSEGUARD brand though, no other tape will hold up as well and other tapes "flutter" in the wind which Horseguard WILL NOT DO if properly installed. It should hold all of the animals mentioned as it is electric, you may need a fairly low strand for the goats, lower than what I would put for horses or cows.
              www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Does the owner care about environmental impact? If they do, you could consider using locust posts instead of pressure treated. Pressure treated posts leach toxins from the preservative into the ground. Have no idea what impact that has but if you operate under the "better safe than sorry" principle then locust is the way to go. (Also factor in how many posts you'll be using -- if not that many, maybe toxins are less of a concern). Locust costs the same as pressure treated.

On the other hand, if you are using a big fencing company they won't be used to using locust. On the other other hand, in this economy you can probably find a good fencer who's willing to do something a little different if it means getting the job.

You can get locust posts at small sawmills. I'm in northeastern Dutchess County, if you are anywhere nearby I can let you know some local sawmills which make locust posts if you are interested.

PS I second the no climb w/board, which is what I have. We did our own fencing w/our own equipment and it still came out to be about $10,000 for a 3 acre field. Any kind of solid fencing (board, no climb) is going to be literally hundreds of thousands of dollars for 120 acres.
                Last edited by SMF11; Mar. 24, 2009, 10:33 AM. Reason: add more info
                https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

All my crop feilds are fenced including hay feilds I graze them between crop rotations and or after harvest in the fall we graze hay feilds when they go dormant. We have a neighbor that raises Boer goats he has 50 to 60 does and says high tensile works great for them he uses two strands and keeps it hot.

Comment

Originally posted by county View Post
                    he uses two strands and keeps it hot.
                    That must make the difference. The one place I know (where I purchased my goats) had high tensile and it didn't keep them in at all. They had goats everywhere. But it wasn't hot.

I didn't know if the owner was going to use his hayfields for grazing. We've got cattle grazing corn stubble and whatnot here - but not all folks do that. Some keep livestock out of hayfields. I guess it all depends on how a person wants to manage their land. If he's purely hayfield and nothing else - I'd not fence it. If it's part of a rotation - I'd fence it.

Dunno what the owner intends.
                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I think alot depends on where your at and the type land you have as to grazing hayfeilds. Around here we have a great deal of land with small pot holes and low land in crop feilds not unusual for a 40 acre feild to have a 3 acre pot hole. After last hay cutting we turn livestock onto the hay feilds so horses and cattle will eat off the grasses in the low lands. Works really well on alfalfa feilds with horses, they would much rather eat grasses over live growing alflafa. Once the grass is gleaned off we pull them off the land so the alfalfa doesn't winter kill.

Comment

I prefer no-climb also, but place a board on the bottom, too. Keeps the wire tight and helps stop horses from getting a leg under.

Would also suggest hot wiring somewhere in the middle...around eye height for the cows. It's best to train them to stay away from the fence, period. Will help with the goats as well. Them little buggers will climb anything.
                        Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

I have no climb but did it a little different. see this page, it has the complete design.

it is 100% zero maintenance other than I had to have the wire tightened in some places the first year. I have had it up five years now.

http://www.fencingsolutions.com/

Comment

Yup, what Webmistress said.

I love the equitee system. very safe and fairly economical

Although I must admit we used welded wire instead of non-climb for interior fences. We keep all fences hot anyway, and the welded wire is cheaper but gives a good goat and horse barrier like the nonclimb.

Comment

Working...
                            X