• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How much ace for dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much ace for dogs

I rarely need to, but have reason to ace my dog this weekend and I can't find the paper where I wrote down the dosage. She's 60#, I'm thinking it was 1/4 cc, but actual knowledge would help.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

You should ask your vet...ace is a completely different dosage on dogs, I always use oral ace for my dogs.

Comment

Don't ever use Ace on Sighthounds or Chinese Cresteds. They have a difficult time metabolizing some Anesthesia, and Ace can kill them. It's b/c they have less body fat than most other dogs.

Comment

Funny, I was wondering this same thing last night... I have a Westie that needs to go to the groomers, he is going to be awful (I do clip him myself but thought he deserved a good haircut )... I was thinking around a quarter, but he is only 15 pounds... I'm going to to call my vet.

Comment

I was reading the bottle the other day...it's 0.05 mg per kg for horses, and I think 0.10 mg per kg for dogs? Don't quote me on that though.
          flickr | instagram | deviantart

Comment

Ace should NEVER be used on Boxers or Boxer mixes either.

The bottle I have says 0.25-1mg per lb of body weight...so the max dose you would give a 60lb dog would be 60mg.

Comment

Ace is a very cheap drug from your small animal vet, so why mess around with the injectable which is very difficult to properly dose in dogs, particularly smaller ones. I am not a spendthrift, but there are some things that you just should not mess with.

Comment

CHECK WITH YOUR VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ace affects different dogs differently (even members of the same breed), and even can affect the SAME dog differently from one dose to another. And some dogs react VERY badly to ace -- sometimes on the initial introduction, sometimes after having used it previously with no problem.

Please don't take a chance on it, ace is not one of the meds that you can take a short-cut with and prescribe yourself, at least, not unless that particular dog has been monitored in previous applications of the identical dosage prescribed by a vet.

Benedryl might be a better choice for mild sedation, but again, please check with your vet.

Comment

Don't trust what's on the bottle. It's not the same dose that's used in practice. Ace has some serious hypotensive effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Riley0522 View Post

I've been in practice for 14 years and used Ace on just about every breed of dog under the sun, sighthounds and Boxers included. I've worked in emergency and speciality practices and have never heard anything like this.

Now, a seizure dog, that's a different animal. Ace lowers the seizure threshold.

I've seen a dog get three ccs of Ace and live. I've seen the same size dog get overdosed on oral Ace. There's a reason it's a prescription item. Consult your vet.
                    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

• Original Poster

Don't know what breeds, etc. I use it on my lab every year for fireworks, just couldn't remember the dosage. Talked w/the vet this am and the horse im, given orally to a dog would be at the rate of 1/2cc per 100#. Thanks though.
                      Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Found this:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dogace.html

it does mention Boxers. Interesting info as I have used Benadryl with no results on a tightly wound GSD.
                        I will get it from my Vet though for sure.
                        "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

Originally posted by Riley0522 View Post

The bottle I have says 0.25-1mg per lb of body weight...so the max dose you would give a 60lb dog would be 60mg.
                          THIS IS ORAL ACE!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE if we're oing to discuss dosages of perscription drugs (which is ILLEGAL for a reason!) please be very very clear about oral versus injectable.

Ace can be used in every breed under the sun, and can be used with seizure dogs, but as someone else said this is only under a vet's supervision, as any dog can have a fatal reaction to any sedative or anesthetic on any given day.

A lot of dogs can overpower ace as well, and if they do it makes them even more hypersensitive and freaked out than they would have been without it. Hence why it's always good to check with your vet before using it, and knowing how your dog will react.

Also, here's an article form a site I know and trust, which addresses the Boxer issue at the bottom.
                          http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...&S=0&C=0&A=570

Katherine
                          Vet Tech
                          Last edited by Horsegal984; Mar. 19, 2009, 09:41 PM. Reason: add link
                          You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

It's not illegal to discuss dosages of prescription drugs. It's illegal to prescribe and dispense without a license.

Comment

Some of the posters here are getting into a grey area, at least as far as the NC veterinary medical board laws go.

Either way some of this info is potentially very dangerous, since noone has actually been clear on oral versus injectable dosages, and in dogs at least there is a HUGE difference.
                              You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sing Mia Song View Post

I've been in practice for 14 years and used Ace on just about every breed of dog under the sun, sighthounds and Boxers included. I've worked in emergency and speciality practices and have never heard anything like this.

Now, a seizure dog, that's a different animal. Ace lowers the seizure threshold.

I've seen a dog get three ccs of Ace and live. I've seen the same size dog get overdosed on oral Ace. There's a reason it's a prescription item. Consult your vet.
                                Well, Maybe no one ever told you before. I have been on Chinese Crested forums and Most of the people told me to warn my vet when my dog got spayed, so when i called my Vet, He already knew not to use it on Sighthounds or Chinese Cresteds. . Just b/c you never had a problem, does not mean it won't happen. IMO, if you are a vet it's better to be safe than sorry. there are alternatives out there.

Comment

Sorry! Didn't see the "cc" in her original post. But yes, obviously there is a difference between oral and injectable meds in anything, humans, dogs horses. Drugs are metabolized differently in the gut versus the tissue, and more often they can be more dangerous in the injectable form and you should check with your vet before giving anything you're not sure of!

I don't even use the Ace on my dogs, just have it leftover from my horse when I tranq'd him for his first turnout after 6 months of stall rest.

And as for the Boxer thing, I've had more than a couple vets/shelter staff/etc tell me that it is unsafe to use it in Boxers. Maybe under a vet's supervision is fine, but I was just passing on some info I knew if it were to be given at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sing Mia Song View Post

There is some debate about this, however, we stay on the safe side and don't use it in Boxers. The story goes that it lowers the seizure threshold particularly in Boxers. Every clinic I have worked in has agreed: No Ace in Boxers. Why risk it?

There was a big discussion about this on VIN maybe a year or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Nezzy View Post
                                      Don't ever use Ace on Sighthounds or Chinese Cresteds. They have a difficult time metabolizing some Anesthesia, and Ace can kill them. It's b/c they have less body fat than most other dogs.

Acepromazine is perfectly safe to use in sighthounds, if being administered by a licensed veterinarian. It is commonly used in anesthesia premed protocols, and I have seen it recommended in the treatment of malignant hyperthermia in greyhounds.

I have checked with veterinary anesthesiologists on this issue. I do think they have more credibility than a Chinese crested mailing list.

It is metabolized in the liver, and eliminated in the urine, so body fat isn't a player here.

The lack of body fat and anesthesia issues seem to be a sort of "telephone game" rationale for all sorts of things.

Older anesthetic gases (halothane) are redistributed in adipose tissue during anesthesia.

Therefore metabolism of these gases differed significantly in dogs with minimal body fat.
                                      So sight hounds, young animals with little body fat, or thin dogs of any breed required lower levels/closer monitoring when halothane was used.

I'm not sure halothane is even readily available now. there are much newer and safer anesthetic gases out there, though.
                                      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                                        Acepromazine is perfectly safe to use in sighthounds, if being administered by a licensed veterinarian. It is commonly used in anesthesia premed protocols, and I have seen it recommended in the treatment of malignant hyperthermia in greyhounds.

I have checked with veterinary anesthesiologists on this issue. I do think they have more credibility than a Chinese crested mailing list.

It is metabolized in the liver, and eliminated in the urine, so body fat isn't a player here.

The lack of body fat and anesthesia issues seem to be a sort of "telephone game" rationale for all sorts of things.

Older anesthetic gases (halothane) are redistributed in adipose tissue during anesthesia.

Therefore metabolism of these gases differed significantly in dogs with minimal body fat.
                                        So sight hounds, young animals with little body fat, or thin dogs of any breed required lower levels/closer monitoring when halothane was used.

I'm not sure halothane is even readily available now. there are much newer and safer anesthetic gases out there, though.
                                        Why take the chance? WHY?

This is not a 'mailing list" it is a forum of Chinese Crested owners who either LOST a dog to this or have been warned by their OWN vets about this. YES, vets have warned the owners so they know for future surgeries. These people have dealt with this personally. That is why Ace and Ketamine are not allowed when i have my dog in surgery. Gee, if my vet already KNEW about it, then YES it is true. ANd My groomer is involved big time with Greyhound rescue and she knew all about it too. Oh, i guess we must be all making it up for no good reason.

Comment

Working...
                                        X