• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oy, Oy, Oy. PSA!... Please lock up your meds!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oy, Oy, Oy. PSA!... Please lock up your meds!

I don't care about your views on abortion. This is NOT a political statement. It is a warning for you to keep your meds, especially those meant to induce spontaneous abortion in mares, locked up securely. I posted this in light of the previous thread about a barn that was broken into with nothing we would normally consider "of value" being taken.

I have posted the most pertinent excerpts to Horses but here's the whole article if you desire to read it.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=92186

Some teens in rural America are now self-inducing abortions with chemicals intended to abort livestock, reports one of the nation's oldest and most influential pro-life organizations.

The grisly situation was first exposed through the efforts of Anna Anderson, head of the Care Net Pregnancy Center in Green County, Wis., who reported the trend on the Stephenson County Right to Life website of Freeport, Ill.

Anderson reported getting numerous calls and visits to her pregnancy care center from teens who either had taken the drugs or were worried about friends who had taken them.

Cases have been documented in at least three rural Wisconsin counties, she said.

The drugs, kept on farms for management of livestock under the names Prostaglandins, Cystorelin, Factrel, Gonadorelin or Lutalyse, were being ingested orally in large quantities, even though animals are treated by injection, the alert said.

Besides resulting in the death of the unborn baby, other complications that could ensue include infections, blood loss and even death.

"If I hadn't known the woman who reported this, I wouldn't have believed it," Brown said.

But both Wisconsin and national veterinary associations have acknowledged the problem.

According to the American Animal Hospital Association warning, its state officials in Wisconsin "contacted the district school nurse, who verified that the district has received reports of this abuse."

"This situation underscores the need for veterinarians to remain vigilant about storing, distributing, prescribing and using veterinary products that can pose human health risks," the advisory said.

Anderson's warning reported she knew the practice had been going on "at least since this past summer when a young 'hired' man in our area gave a girl a medication meant to (among other uses) induce abortions in cows and horses to cause her to abort their child."

"This is a very deadly drug for fetuses," she continued. "According to a local veterinarian, pregnant women are not even supposed to handle the bottles in which it is stored unless they are wearing gloves. Needless to say this girl lost the baby. The drug consists of a high concentration of hormones so human ingestion of it is not poisonous to the girls but it is deadly to the developing fetus and has potentially deadly consequences for the girls.

"The news of this young couple's success in aborting their baby has spread through the Monroe High School and possibly elsewhere, which has resulted in other pregnant girls obtaining and consuming this drug in order to abort their unborn babies," Anderson reported.

"Some of the girls who are taking the drug are much further along in their pregnancies than the original girl. This is resulting in life-threatening complications for the pregnant girls when the drug successfully results in the placenta pulling away from the uterine wall; the baby being starved; the baby then dying; which results in spotting and uterine contractions followed by an abortion of the baby. In these more advanced pregnancies, these girls could potentially bleed to death or have a life-threatening systemic infection if the uterus is not completely emptied of the baby and other pregnancy tissues. In addition, one physician said that there could be clotting issues because of this drug."

"If this is going on at our high school, chances are that it is happening at other high schools as well – especially in rural agricultural areas. Unsuspecting parents and anyone else who might be in a position to help these girls and stop this deadly practice need to be aware of this 'drug abuse' among area teens," Anderson said.

So lock your meds up!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

And provide multiple choices for young, pregnant women. Then they wouldn't need to steal the horse medications.

Comment

Wow-- that's some ambition!

My momma was a SoCal girl and joked about a "weekend in Tijuana" as a cure for unwanted pregancy. She thought she was all clever, taking advantage of local resources.

Teenagers with the same problem in rural states seem just as resourceful, no? Their strategy never would have occurred to me.
      The armchair saddler
      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Other horsey drugs are also prime for kids/teens to sample and equally or more dangerous.
        Barns who are large, have a large number of lessons and young adults boarding and do not lock up their drugs are nuts, imo.
        For one, think lawsuits
        For two, if you have money to throw away on lawyers and lawsuits, think a kid critically ill or dead.

Leaving it out on a counter- which everyone entering/leaving the tack room passes by- and saying 'we know how many ___ pills we have' when the bottle holds 1000 pills is just sticking your head in the sand, aka stupid, stupid, stupid.
        Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mvp View Post
          Teenagers with the same problem in rural states seem just as resourceful, no? Their strategy never would have occurred to me.
          Nor I. Five years ago, when my app mare was still alive, there was the potential for her to be in foal to a TWH stallion that escaped from the neighbor's. So my vet left me with the meds pre-drawn. At the time, I had no way of locking that syringe up. It never, ever occured to me that someone could come along and steal it for such nefarious and sad purposes.
          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

There are a lot of veterinary drugs abused by people. Ketamine comes to mind- a hallucinatory drug.

Very, very sad.

Comment

Good god, that is unbelievably stupid! How can they not know that veterinary medicine for such purpose is dangerous.

I seriously don't want to know the answer to that.

Comment

There is also a street drug that has the slang name of "bute." A few years ago I was in a tack shop and a girl came in trying to buy "bute." Her car had DC plates and the driver and girl did not look horsey.

You can put 2 and 2 together, they had the wrong "bute" Needless to say everyone in the tS was confused.
                RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

Years ago my vet mentioned that they'd had to take some extra safety precautions due to an increase of attacks/thefts over ketamine.

Abortion drugs? Lordy. People are just insane.

Comment

Uhhhh.... I have to admit that never occurred to me. And our farm was robbed a few months ago. I never thought to look in my meds chest and fridge to make sure drugs were still there. Nor did I look in my medicine chest in the house.

Clearly I need to get out more. I'm sorry that any young girl believes that this is a safe choice.

Thanks for posting that, ChocoMare. I don't have any of these drugs but I do have others and I would hate for them to fall into the wrong hands.
                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
                      Good god, that is unbelievably stupid! How can they not know that veterinary medicine for such purpose is dangerous.

I seriously don't want to know the answer to that.
                      Desperation makes people do reckless and stupid things. It's very sad.
                      exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

This is a nationwide problem, aside from vet hospitals being robbed, parents are now strongly urged to lock up their prescription meds from the kids, who are stealing them and using them for purposes for which they are not intended. All my meds are locked up and I dont even have any kids. I also dont want to be responsible for some stupid childs desperation should they be looking for alternative meds for any issue. I am also not fond of lawsuits.

Comment

What a scary world this is.
                          Horsey Stick Art clique
                          Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
                          PPP Grand-Poobah

Comment

that's so sad. more options need to be available to scared, desperate, pregnant teenage girls.
                            Horse power

Horse" pow`er\ (Noun) The extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit.

Comment

Our society needs to start meeting the needs of today's teens--it was a lot different than from when I grew up and society needs to realize that. We don't do a very good job at "getting the word out" either to unwed teenage mothers--they still don't realize in many states they can surrender a baby to "safe havens" if they feel they can't keep it and not be taken to task (get in legal trouble). They don't need to leave their baby on doorsteps anymore in most places.
                              "None of us can move forward if half of us are being held back." ~Anonymous~

Comment

Just cleaning out the gene pool!
                                Erin and
                                Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Comment

Originally posted by Cherry View Post
                                  Our society needs to start meeting the needs of today's teens--it was a lot different than from when I grew up and society needs to realize that. We don't do a very good job at "getting the word out" either to unwed teenage mothers--they still don't realize in many states they can surrender a baby to "safe havens" if they feel they can't keep it and not be taken to task (get in legal trouble). They don't need to leave their baby on doorsteps anymore in most places.
                                  If they do not know it is their own doing. These facts and the information about planned parenthood and their parent's not having to know is VERY available. Heck, there are even TV commercials about all this stuff now, on the non-cable stations even (so the poor people like me, who do not have cable can see them). And all schools cover such things in health class and the like.

Comment

These girls are not stupid. They are scared, and desperate. In my very progressive state, a first term abortion still costs around $400-$500. That is A LOT OF MONEY for a teenager who's still living with her parents...she might not even have a job/accessible money in a bank account and would have no way of coming up with hundreds of dollars. Plus, most teens will be too scared/too oblivious to even notice a missed period or two...and once you get into the second trimester, an abortion can cost upwards of $1000. How is a teenager going to afford that!?

And yes, there are other options, and they should have been protected, etc. But these girls aren't stupid...they're just scared. And hey, it worked for her best friend's cousin's sister's friend....so why not her?

And trub, you live in a very progressive state. New England as a whole is excellent about getting info out to teens. HOWEVER, this is not true for all states....some states don't even teach much besides abstinence!

Back on topic: As a college-aged teen, I can tell you right now that you cannot even imagine the sorts of drugs that your children are doing. Lock up your prescriptions...it's often the kids you don't suspect that are the ones who are most hardcore into drugs. Most of the kids at the top of my class, who got into excellent colleges, can't even remember most of their weekends cause they just blacked out after cocktails of drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                                      These girls are not stupid. They are scared, and desperate. In my very progressive state, a first term abortion still costs around $400-$500. That is A LOT OF MONEY for a teenager who's still living with her parents...
                                      If you can not afford the abortion then maybe you should not be doing what causes you to need one!

If the kids know enough to go steal some horse drug and how to go about stealing some horse drug and how to go about using some horse drug then it seems like they should have enough resources (brain matter and ability) to find a way to get this done legally.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                                        If you can not afford the abortion then maybe you should not be doing what causes you to need one!

Sure, but when has that reasoning ever stopped kids from having sex? Never.

Comment

Working...
                                        X