• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question: Does anybody else's dog not like your SO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Does anybody else's dog not like your SO?

I was just curious to know if I'm the only one in this situation and how to deal with it. I have a four year old Australian Cattle Dog (aka Blue Heeler) who loves me, loves other people, but really really doesn't like my husband!Now, she's fine with everybody else, including my husband's friends, so I don't think that it's because Chris is new to her. I don't know what the deal is. He hasn't hurt her, heck he just got back from Iraq! Chris tries to love on her and play with her, give her treats, all that jazz. Nothing works! Molly barely tolerates him being in the house. She doesn't like him being near me either. She barked at him this morning as he was getting ready for work and came in to give me a kiss. She barks at him when he gets home or even just goes outside then comes back in the house.

Is anyone else going through or has already gone through this? Can it be fixed or am I just gonna have to deal with it? I'm not getting rid of my dog!
    Devil Pup 13 May 2010
    Veni, vidi, nates calce concidi
    Molly~4yo Blue Heeler & Dakota Nov 09 Baby Heeler

It's been two years...

Our little rescue mutt has been with us two years and still just tolerates my husband. He had obviously been abused as a pup and we are guessing that it was the "man of the house" who beat him and the family because he gets squirrely if my husband is playing with the girls sometimes. Only now will he sit in the same room with DH and occasionally come over for a pet - but just on the tip of the nose or top of his head. However, he will sleep in bed with us and let my husband pet him then. He is an oddball to say the least. He is leary of men in general but it is DH that spooks him the most. He just can't seem to trust him and still barks like a murderer is breaking into the house when he gets home at night. Issues? Yeah, he has a few!

He is only now starting to take treats from my husband's hand. For the longest time he wouldn't even take a steak from him. My husband tried sitting on the floor with and without food and nothing really worked except for time and kind words. Oddly enough when we are on vacation he is fine with my husband - it is only at home.

Hang in there - hopefully things will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Walk_N_Gal88 View Post
      I was just curious to know if I'm the only one in this situation and how to deal with it. I have a four year old Australian Cattle Dog (aka Blue Heeler) who loves me, loves other people, but really really doesn't like my husband!Now, she's fine with everybody else, including my husband's friends, so I don't think that it's because Chris is new to her. I don't know what the deal is. He hasn't hurt her, heck he just got back from Iraq! Chris tries to love on her and play with her, give her treats, all that jazz. Nothing works! Molly barely tolerates him being in the house. She doesn't like him being near me either. She barked at him this morning as he was getting ready for work and came in to give me a kiss. She barks at him when he gets home or even just goes outside then comes back in the house.

Is anyone else going through or has already gone through this? Can it be fixed or am I just gonna have to deal with it? I'm not getting rid of my dog!
      Here's your answer....because YOU belong to her.

Trying to help, promise.....how do YOU treat Molly? Is Molly a dominant dog and you have subconsciously allowed her to take over the alpha role of the house?

There was a Ceaser Episode about this very thing not too long ago. In that particular case, it was a bassett hound who HATED the husband.....barked at him, ran from him......They figured out that the husband was so frustrated that he was sending negative energy towards the dog and then the wife was the dog's enabler.

Does your husband try to go to her? If so, I would tell him to ignore her and let her come to him. I would also try to make her associate him with positive things..not necessariy treats, but things like walks.

If you can find that Ceaser episode online somewhere, it might help you. It was from this past season.

Comment

You need to watch "It's Me or the Dog!", on Animal Planet! Your husband and the dog need to bond. He needs to get down to the dog's level and lavish her with treats--now--make friends.... The longer this problem goes on the harder it will be to fix it. It would be helpful if he would take her out for walks and play with her if he isn't now. And watch that show!!!!
        "We want to raise our children so that they can take a sense of pleasure in both their own heritage and the diversity of others." ~Mr. (Fred) Rogers~

Comment

Originally posted by lcw579 View Post
          Our little rescue mutt has been with us two years and still just tolerates my husband. He had obviously been abused as a pup and we are guessing that it was the "man of the house" who beat him and the family because he gets squirrely if my husband is playing with the girls sometimes. Only now will he sit in the same room with DH and occasionally come over for a pet - but just on the tip of the nose or top of his head. However, he will sleep in bed with us and let my husband pet him then. He is an oddball to say the least. He is leary of men in general but it is DH that spooks him the most. He just can't seem to trust him and still barks like a murderer is breaking into the house when he gets home at night. Issues? Yeah, he has a few!

He is only now starting to take treats from my husband's hand. For the longest time he wouldn't even take a steak from him. My husband tried sitting on the floor with and without food and nothing really worked except for time and kind words. Oddly enough when we are on vacation he is fine with my husband - it is only at home.

Hang in there - hopefully things will get better.
          Just wanted to mention that your little guy "may" have been abused by a man....BUT, I have one here in this household who I know has never been abused by a man and he is leery of men, takes him a very long time to warm up to them.

I think some dogs are scared of men in general because they walk differently, are usually taller/bigger and usually have a deeper voice.

Doesn't necessarily mean that they were abused.....I've got proof in this house.

Comment

Dalpal, I wasn't going to admit this but when we first got him and he started acting so fearful my girls begged me to call the "pet psychic" - so we actually have consulted two animal communicators and both mentioned him being beat in the head by a violent man. One said he gets headaches sometimes. They were spot on about some of the things they said about the other pets in the house (in for a penny in for a pound ) so I am inclined to believe their is some truth to the story. It was interesting how similar both "readings" were and I was very careful not to say anything leading since I was a skeptic. We used one my sister likes and another that was recommended at the pet supply store.

Comment

Originally posted by lcw579 View Post
              Dalpal, I wasn't going to admit this but when we first got him and he started acting so fearful my girls begged me to call the "pet psychic" - so we actually have consulted two animal communicators and both mentioned him being beat in the head by a violent man. One said he gets headaches sometimes. They were spot on about some of the things they said about the other pets in the house (in for a penny in for a pound ) so I am inclined to believe their is some truth to the story. It was interesting how similar both "readings" were and I was very careful not to say anything leading since I was a skeptic. We used one my sister likes and another that was recommended at the pet supply store.
              Gotcha...Oh that is so sad for him.

I just mentioned it because I know that's the assumption alot of the time, but I don't think it's always the case.

Comment

You might also want to consider the breed. Aussies, heelers, border collies - all are working dogs who tend to be one-person dogs. I loved my husband's late Aussie dearly, and she me, but there was no question that he belonged to her, first!, and that was that. Reba was so jealous at first that any time Mark and I would hug or kiss, she'd stick her head in between us. It was funny to me, and I didn't take offense, since I know that Aussies are just like that. The behaviour decreased as time went on, but never totally went away.

God rest you, Reba. And keep Rocky in line, will you? And show him the ropes? (We euthanized Reba's best friend, Rocky, yesterday, at age 16)

I miss you both.
                In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                A life lived by example, done too soon.
                www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

• Original Poster

No Molly is actually a very submissive dog. Hard to believe but she is! Before I got her a few months ago, she was kept outside with two other Blue Heelers (one of them her sire who could be mean if you messed with his folks), a rambunctious German Shepard and a Yorkie. The other female Heeler was the omega of the "pack" with Molly right above her. She wasn't abused or anything, I got her from folks my family's known for 50+ years.

I'll get Chris to spend more time with Molly and see if that helps. It may be nothing or it may just be her pregnancy hormones

Thanks Y'all!
                  Devil Pup 13 May 2010

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm sorry about your loss ESG <<<<<HUGS>>>>>
                    Devil Pup 13 May 2010

Comment

my dog, aussie ACD mix, owner her since she was 6 weeks old, is sometimes fearful of men. I have noticed it is often men with deep voices, and when they try to approach her, she gets more scared. Seeing as you sid you hubby is from the military I am envisioning a manly-man . I agree that you should have him do things with her that rock her world-given that she is an ACD- she has to have things that are "the best" like playing ball, running in the woods, (for my dog it's frisbee and chasing the waves). If she can associate him with those things he will become the best to her. It is important to ignore her and let her come to him.

My first meeting of an ACD was when I worked on a ranch in WY. My boss had an old cranky ACD. Everyone said to just ignore him, he wasn't people friendly etc. So I did. Well, his favorite thing was to ride on the back of the 4-wheeler. Well, one night I got on the 4 wheeler to go feed the Llama, and Dawg jumped on the back. I was a bit leary, because he was a grupy crazy old ACD. About halfway out to the pasture, Dawg leaned over and pressed his cheek to my cheek. After that moment we were BFFs.

They are smart quirky little dogs, she will have to come to the decision on her own tha hubby is the best, once she does they will be best friends.

Comment

I'm sorry about your loss ESG <<<<<HUGS>>>>>
                        Thanks. The Bridge got two of ours in one week. The other was my 29 year old TB gelding. That one was tough, too.
                        In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                        A life lived by example, done too soon.
                        www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

I have an Aussie. He was 3 when my first husb and I split up and a little while later I met my current husband.
                          Many of the working breeds are very much one person dogs. When my current husb and I first moved in together, my Aussie actually jumped on his back once (leaving scars and drawing blood) when DH was playing with my older dog, and then one other time bit DH in the hand, quite badly.
                          We were trying to place him and agonizing over possibly putting him down when a friend had a litter of black labs. So we got him a puppy. The change was dramatic. He did a 180, fell in love with the puppy and they became fast friends. Total attitude adjustment where DH was concerned. No problems to this day and the dog will be 13 this year.
                          he is still very much my dog and always will be, but they get along fine now and even hang out together. My Dh has deployed a bunch to Iraq too and it goes well when he returns.

Your dog may just be feeling a little jealous since he doesn't have you all to himself anymore and there is a new pecking order in the pack. I think the trick is try not to disrupt the routine any more than you have to. IF he's been sleeping with you, don't kick him out of the bed, for example. That's what my DH tried at the beginning and it didn't go over well at all.
                          Another idea is have your SO feed the dog. And only your SO feed the dog, til he gets over himself.
                          They may never be best friends, but they should at least be able to co exist peacefully.
                          "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I wouldn't have kicked Molly out of the bed except for one teensy little problem...she tried to tear a chunk out of my husband's butt when we were...ahem...busy ...cuz she thought he was hurting me!!! I called her off but Chris and I laughed our hides off just about. Mama did too didn't you!? Daddy told Mama to tell me to tell Molly to bite Chris again! he thought Molly actually got to Chris.
                            Devil Pup 13 May 2010

Comment

My So is not a dog person... I have two Briards that he thinks are not as smart as his cat. They feel his disdain and as soon as we leave the house the move EVERYTHING the man owns out through the dogdoor into the back yard. This includes going through the laundry basket and picking out only his things<g> They are quite good at looking innocent and smug at the same time...
                              Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
                              http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

Comment

Originally posted by Touchstone Farm,Ky View Post
                                My So is not a dog person... I have two Briards that he thinks are not as smart as his cat. They feel his disdain and as soon as we leave the house the move EVERYTHING the man owns out through the dogdoor into the back yard. This includes going through the laundry basket and picking out only his things<g> They are quite good at looking innocent and smug at the same time...

that is freakin hilarious. YOu need to set up a video camera and send that in to one of those video shows. You might get some $$
                                "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Well I wouldn't have kicked Molly out of the bed except for one teensy little problem...she tried to tear a chunk out of my husband's butt when we were...ahem...busy ...cuz she thought he was hurting me!!! I called her off but Chris and I laughed our hides off just about. Mama did too didn't you!? Daddy told Mama to tell me to tell Molly to bite Chris again! he thought Molly actually got to Chris.
                                  Yep that happened to us too
                                  My husband screwed up in that if he came home and I was already in bed (of course the dog was right there with me) he would order him out of the bed and make a big deal out of it. I didn't think that was fair since the dog had been sleeping with me since he was a little tiny puppy. So it became a major issue, and once i got him to stop being so dramatic about it it got better. Now, there's no dogs in the bed during activities, and after when it's time to go to sleep he can come up.
                                  Of course these days I have to help him since he can't jump that high anymore but when he was younger it took a little retraining.

Comment

Maybe she's just not comfortable sharing a house with a guy, if she's gotten used to a household without a man? My current dog's lived in an all-female household for a long time, and she clearly gets intimidated/defensive when men come into the house. This was not a problem with my previous dogs, who both lived in mixed-sex households. She particularly dislikes my one brother, who is not a dog person and who helped create the problem by losing his temper with her. I've been trying to get them to quit attacking each other by feeding her treats when he comes around - he tosses them to her, I feed her treats off his knee, etc. (edit to add - they don't actually attack each other, just glare)

I agree about "It's Me Or The Dog." Quite a few episodes have a dog who dislikes the husband, and Victoria seems to emphasize having the wife make it clear to the dog that being cranky to the husband results in the dog losing attention - if wife and husband are on the couch, for example, and the dog comes over for a pat from the wife and gives the husband attitude, the wife gets up and turns her back on the dog.

Comment

My husband is in the Navy and wasn't in port for the first 6 months of us having Onyx, our lab mix. I was also working at a barn at the time, so she got to spend almost all day with me. She was DH's sister's dog before, and she lived alone, so she was very much a one-woman dog! When hubby came home... not good! She would not listen to him at all. If he wanted to take her out and asked her to sit, she would literally turn to face me, with her back to him, and wait until I confirmed that she should sit. Eventually she started to listen to him, but she would still turn to face me while doing what he asked. You can imagine how much that irked him!!

She also went on a rampage for a couple days where she destroyed everything of his that she could get her hands on... underwear, t-shirts, his toothbrush, and - get this - his RAZOR. There was blood everywhere! She had torn her gums up while trying to chew up his razor. She hadn't touched anything of mine. Yes, my dog has issues. She has gotten better, and although she harbors a bit of resentment toward him, she now listens to him and asks for attention from him.
                                      Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Comment

• Original Poster

I think that this may be a big part of the problem! Chris hasn't even been home from Iraq for a week and a half. While I have wanted Molly for several years, my best friend's parents didn't give her to me until the last week of January. so from the end of January until last monday it was mainly just Molly and I, with other folks mixed in. She's had a lot of changes since January so I'm almost positive thats another factor.
                                        Devil Pup 13 May 2010

Comment

Working...
                                        X