• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What's wrong with my foxhound?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with my foxhound?

We were adopted by stray foxhound puppy back in the Fall. She is my first experience with a scent dog or hound of any kind. And boy does she have me flummoxed at times!

The big question is this: Why doesn't she have any bones in her neck? Seriously, are they supposed to be able to touch their noses all the way straight over to their backs like that? Really? And how do they bend in half like that? We should have named her Gumby! I thought she might grow out of it, but it's not looking like it.

The real question in all this is, is 4 acres enough room for her to run? We are looking to have an invisible fence installed for her. I don't want her tied all day and I don't think I could keep her in a kennel (she digs, she climbs and she whines and barks when she's lonely). 4 acres would include the house, the barn and one of the small paddocks, but be to the inside the rest of the horse fencing (meaning outside their fields, but on the house and barn side - not the property line side). She loves to run, but it is just too dangerous for her to be completely loose. She gets on a scent or harasses the neighbors horses and disrupts their lesson program. Plus she is too stupid about cars.

Any advice would be most welcome!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

I don't think hounds have any hard parts at all. It exaplins why they can squeeze through such tiny gaps in the fencing and how the same dog can curl up in a folding camp chair yet later ooze out to cover an entire queen size bed. Watching them beat themselves in the eyes with their tails because they've curled in half from happiness and can't stop wagging never gets old.

4 acres would be awesome with the invisible fencing, I bet she'd be so happy. They really love to go outside and run around and check stuff out. I am on my 3rd hound and they ARE trainable, it just takes time and patience. Cursing and throwing clumps of dirt at them is also helpful. Hounds are actually reasonably biddable once you get them to acknowledge you are in charge and stop pretending they can't hear you, it helps to have another older dog who is obedient, they tend to stick with their buddies.

Comment

I have a foxhound and a bluetick hound. I have never installed an invisible fence, because I have heard that hounds will run through them. Then again, my hounds are both weenies, and it would probably only take one zap to keep them well within the perimeter. Mine are very happy with their overhead cable run. I got one of the 100' ones, and put it between 2 trees. They just love to lounge out there, and it gives them a good range of running space.
      If you can afford to do 4 acres of invisible fencing, and won't be too upset if it doesn't work, then go for it.
      Amateur rider, professional braider.
      ----
      Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think you're right silver2, no hard parts at all. LOL. She's a pretty good girl, but stubborn as all and sensitive too. Very unusual combo for me. But we are making progress. Getting her attention is the hardest part. The hope is that she will get better with enough exercise. A tired dog is a good dog - so they tell me. Oh, my Gorden Setter is a very good dog, esp. now that she is old. But the puppy is just too much for her. She needs lots of breaks from puppy.

The reason we are looking to have it installed is that they guarantee no "run throughs". All of them swear it is a training issue and they work with us to get the training right. If it doesn't work, they take it out and refund. But the trolley system is the back up plan - good to know it will work foxhound!

SCFarm
        The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

Comment

LLDM I don't have any real advice, I just wanted to say a FH recently adopted me! Of course no one has stepped up to claim him.I checked the SPCA, Craig's list, pet finder, and our local hunts! Three wks ago I was mumbling "of course no one is missing this sack of shite!" After some persistence I'm in love with this dog.

Our hound is so darned smart I'm blown away! I never really put them at the top of the smart dog list, but this bugger is something else! Of course he was not house broken, but after just 2 days he knows what to do, and where to do it.

I would not know how to contain him as he is very eager to explore, and surely enjoys his exercise. I'm not too concerned as we are on a dead end street, and not much traffic. From the first time I handed him his groceries he knew our farm was his home, and does not roam off the farm. That said when I bring him home for the night, I do walk him on a leash as there are too many opportunities for him to get squashed here. I feel certain he could dig his way out of containment, or climb to freedom.

Best of luck with your girl!
          Collector of fine ponies.

In loving memory of Mr.Zipp 3-25-72 / 11-4-08

Comment

I found that my hounds did not respond well, until I treated them like hounds. Both had left the pack to recooperate from injuries and decided they would rather be house hounds.

I got a whip to crack. They would ignore me, deaf to my voice. Crack a whip and you have their undiveded attention.

We also have shock collars. They only have to wear them when they forget their boundaries. After the first shock, which they have never forgotten, they respond to the beep. I would think that a invisible fence would work fine.

You and your family members have become her pack, so establish yourself as the alfa. This is a lot eaiser when she's a pup, then when she is grown. (We have a female we got at four months, that now weighs one hundred fifteen pounds.)

Hounds are the best kept secret of the dog world.

Comment

Hounds will often ignore that invisible fencing. If they're on a line they'll just run right through it.

I've also seen a hound climb a 6 foot tall chain link fence. Funniest thing in the world - climbed in just like a ladder!

Whatever method you choose, fence, invisible fence, shock collar - the key is training to recall and also have a method to get them to lift if they're on a line.

If you can get the hound's attention, you'll be able to recall the hound. I use the crack of a whip to get my hounds attention. It's just a sharp quick sound - not a threat to hit her with it of course!

If you treat the hound like a hound, you will find her to be the best dog in the entire world. If you treat her like a regular housepet - you'll both end up being frustrated.

What you might want to do is ask this question in the hunting forum. There is at least one huntsman and several whippers in who will be a treasure trove of good information.

good luck! (I've had scent hounds for many years..... they are the best!)
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

To keep our hound in we have a woven wire fence, within that is an electric fence and within that is an underground shock fencing system.

She is one determined fence busting, egg sucking, chicken killing hound dog! But we loff her.

Comment

I have (or am had by) two failed coonhounds-- an English & a Bluetick. Both came from the shelter, unretrieved by their hunting owners who didn't want dogs that wouldn't hunt. My challenge is getting them OUT of the house; they are couch potatoes. We have a 1/2 acre city lot with 4' chain link fencing, and they never challenge it.

However, they are absolutely the most sensitive dogs I know, and I have no doubts that they'll be trainable to the invisible fence. Make a sharp click noise, or a beep, and they're attention is riveted, sometimes in an anxious what's next? way. I suspect that tendency could be put to good use in training to the shock/beep of invisible fence.

They're not stupid dogs, so use that to your advantage-- train the bejeepers out of them, and enjoy!

Comment

They certainly are not stupid dogs. Hounds have a way of looking at you when you give them a command, and you can tell they are considering whether being obedient is more in their self-interest than ignoring you.
                    Amateur rider, professional braider.
                    ----
                    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

I have a coonhound. She can be very stubborn and sensitive. She is trained to come when I call her name and a sports whistle when my voice is not loud enough. And last resort when her stubborniness is high or her ears stop working, she gets the shock collar. And I get the poor, pathetic hound look.
                      She makes me laugh because she wouldn't have a clue what to do with a coon. Her favorite things are howling at trees because she smelled a squirrel or may have a live squirrel to howl at, if the squirrel is game to play with her. Also she thinks newly weaned calves are her friends, sometimes the calves will wash her ears and she cleans their butts --usually a group activity.

Comment

Originally posted by appdream View Post
                        I got a whip to crack. They would ignore me, deaf to my voice. Crack a whip and you have their undiveded attention.
                        Rather dreamily considering how that would look in suburbia...

Comment

I've found that hounds are generally too smart for their own good and tend to come off as pretty dense when they decide they are better off ignoring the silly human.

We have 4 hounds- a plott hound, a dobie/greyhound x, a basset hound, and a walker hound (he's fostered for a local rescue).

The plott hound is incredibly smart. She watches what people do and literally does it herself. I have a loft bed and the day I we brought her home, she watched me climb up the ladder. Well, I leave the room, and sure enough, come in and she managed to climb up the ladder and was in my bed She also knows how to open cupboards, open garbage cans (both the kind where you have to step on something and he kind where you have to take the lid off) etc. She has mastered taking a 12" diameter bowl full of pasta off the counter, carrying it into another room and jumping on the couch without spilling a drop. She's also learned to make holes under the fence but not use them immediately. She'll make 4-5 holes under the fence, and then she waits until the right moment when she figures we haven't checked the fence in a while. Yesterday she got out 4 times- when we thought we fixed one hole, she went out through another one

The key to getting her to come back after she gets out is to NOT chase her. Seriously, people think that when she gets out they need to run after her and follow her. NO! She thinks it's a game and the more you chase her, the more she runs! Instead, you just watch her. She'll come back when she figures out we're not playing her game. It usually takes a while to get her if people chase her- yesterday each time she got out I stood at the door and called to her and watched her, and it took 5 minutes for her to come back.

The basset hound is stubborn and slow. He is fine without a leash because he's too lazy to go anywhere

The dobie/greyhound x is smart but not as much as the plott hound. She LOVES to run and will go until she's tired. We've tried working on recall with her but haven't had much luck, so we just try and prevent her from getting out as much as possible. We have a fenced yard and she never jumps or digs under the fence, but occasionally the front door will get left open and out she'll go!

The walker hound is interesting. He was very abused so he isn't very trusting wtih many people. He is very bonded to me and tries incredibly hard to please me, so I think he would be fine without a leash if I was around. However, I don't think he would stick around for just anyone. He doesn't dig or jump the fence. He thinks he's a big lap dog (all 75lbs of him) and I think he needs a farm.

Don't know if that really helps... but with our hounds we've found that a) Don't chase them when they get out and decide to run. Keep an eye on them but they will come back a lot sooner if they realize you aren't playing their game and b)They are incredibly smart, sometimes too smart.
                          "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, thought this thread had run its course and hadn't checked! Thanks so much for all the input, advice and stories!

Randi is a pretty good girl and very smart. She is really pretty easy to live with and the training has been coming along (hers AND mine - ). The biggest problem is what most of you described - getting her attention when she's about something else. Great advice on that!

I think we will try the underground fencing. There are enough guarantees that these guys will try really hard to get it right and get her trained well. I know she can get a head of steam on, but she is both sensitive and smart too, so hopefully that will do it. We have a bunch of waterlines to run to the front fields, but will put this in as so as that is done. I'll let you all know if it works!

SCFarm

PS to JSwan - I'll be seeing the PHA Huntsman in a couple weeks and will ask him for advice too. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X