• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

slant vs. head to head??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slant vs. head to head??

We are looking at trailers, YEAH!! Now considering the pros and cons of slant vs. head to head trailers. Mostly likely going with a 4 horse, unless we find a really good deal on a 6 horse. Anyone wish to tell about their experinces with these two types? Which do you prefer?

One thing that keeps me going back to the head to head, is we event. So unless the horse is REALLY good about tying to the trailer, they are loaded when we are off walking courses or in between their rides. So some horses have to come on and off the trailer up to three times in one day. With a slant load that may become a bit more tricky.

Other thing is finding a slant load with a ramp. I love ramps! Some step ups seem high.

We are looking at 2005 and newer trailers.

We have a 3h GN slant.... i want a head to head or a trailer like our trainers 3h straight reverse. It's got a huge ramp and the three horses load straight backwards. It's a NICE setup!!

I feel like the trailer better in the straight loads... but that's IMO.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Comment

I have to say that I love head to heads. My trainer had one when I was in college, and it was great. She had a 6 horse, and she could load a total of 7 or 8 if two were small (they would go in the middle and just tie to the rings inside). It was so easy for loading and unloading, and most horses loaded really easily. My favorite thing, and obviously the biggest perk of a head to head, was the ease of off loading just one or two horses, and leaving the rest put. Also, all of the horses seemed to travel really well, and the horses that like to ride backwards could. If you can afford to get a head to head, I absolutly would, and I am sure you won't be able to imagine how you survived without it!

Comment

Much prefer straight loads over slant loads.

Comment

Slant loads are generally for smaller horses. Head to heads work better for the bigger guys. Unless you have an 8' wide slant, general rule of thumb is over 15.3 or so, go to a straight stall.
          You will have about (and this will vary) 90" NOSE to TAIL in a slant and up to 90" CHEST to TAIL in a straight.
          You can have ramps put on behind slant trailer doors too, FYI.

Comment

I do not like slants at all. I prefer straight loads. I have had quite a few larger horses have problems with slant loads. Though one shipper I use has a custom 6 horse slant with extra large stalls that go all the way from top to bottom and a ramp that drops down from each of the slant stalls to unload without unloading every horse.

Comment

Are you willing to consider another alternative?

I have a combo stock by Titan. It's 16' on the floor, divided into two "stalls". You can get them made with a front exit door if desired. I have an emergency escape door, but some of my horses will use it as a regular load/unload door. My horses can be loaded straight or slant, can ride front or rear facing, and if there's just one in each compartment, they've even been known to lay down and get comfy. I find it much more versatile than either slant or straight, and as a bonus, it's open and welcoming for the young ones that aren't as keen on loading.

Neil at MidPlains Equipment is always happy to write up a quote for exactly the trailer you want. http://midplainsonline.com

Comment

Head-to-Head...no competition.

You can remove any horse at any time without shifting the crowd, lots of room. Leave two at home and you have 2 nice box stalls.
                "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Head to Head.... hands down.

IF I needed one, I'd have an EquiSpirit in a heartbeat: http://www.equispirit.com/products/4horse.htm
                  <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

We have a C & C 5 horse head to head. After using this trailer for 3 years, I would never go back to slant. It is so much safer for the horses and so much easier for the people. Really, no contest. We can set it up as box stalls or straight stalls. The horses load easily and haul wonderfully.
                    Patty
                    www.rivervalefarm.com
                    Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Most eventers have head-to-head trailers. I think it is because unless you are stabling, it is a PITA to keep loading and unloading horses between phases. When it is raining, you have a great area to hang out, too!

I LOVE my 4-horse Sooner h-t-h.
                      \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

I agree with the majority of the posts, head to head all the way. Slants are a PITA. The horse you have to remove is always in slot #1 and you have to unload everyone else. Plus our Large Marge mare hates slants. I'm pretty sure they make her claustrophobic.
                        A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

Comment

Head to head - no question. It's too hard to get to the middle horse on a 3 or more slant, if they're in trouble. That's beside the issue of loading/unloading every time you need one.
                          In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                          A life lived by example, done too soon.
                          www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

I lOVE my 4 horse h-t-h. I am going to miss it very much (I had to send it to be sold....damn economy)
                            "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                            carolprudm

Comment

We've owned both a slant load and currently have a 4 horse H-2-H. I totally agree with those who say there is no competition - head to head is the way to go! More room, easier loading and unloading, more ramps in ours as in both sides and in the rear. I've never had any major problems loading a horse on our head to head - the slant was a different story although I do have to say it did not have a ramp. I like to be able to get to any horse on any kind of lengthy trip and a head to head gives me plenty of room. I also now prefer a straight load over a slant load and my little two horse Trail-et is a straight load - there again, I can get to each horse. If you can afford a head to head, you'll be glad you bought it.
                              Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Head to head. Period. No question, no competition.
                                Laurie

Comment

The other issue to consider is that the horses don't do well in slant loads over time. They end up with physical problems because of the constant single way to stand in the trailer; they cannot "slant" the other way.

My vote is for the h-t-h, too, obviously.
                                  Laurie Higgins
                                  www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

Head to head!!! For all the reasons mentioned plus...they are GREAT to work out of in bad weather. Pull the horse into the middle section - tack up and back them into the stall until you're ready to go!! Makes a great place (company will come) to stand out of the rain or yuck!!!
                                    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Head to head, most definitely. I had a 4 horse slant for years, it was extra tall and wide, so it was big enough for warmbloods, but consider some of the problems I had: once a horse in the front stall started choking. She couldn't put her head down to get the hay out. I had to unload all the horses to get to her, in a very inconvenient place along a busy road. I love the fact with a head to head that I can unsnap the cross-ties and they can put their heads down to drink a bucket of water, cough out a piece of hay, etc. I had another horse bust out of her trailer tie and turn around (how I do not know) in the front stall. Again I had to unload ALL the horses to get to her.

We now have a six horse head to head (C & C) and the middle part is big enough to put a pony or small horse. There are two ramps (one back and one side) so if a horse won't go in one side, they will usually go in the other. For weekend shows or schooling shows, they can stand in the trailer, in their cross-ties and out of the weather.

No contest. Head to head all the way!
                                      "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
                                      -H.M.E.

Comment

Another vote for H-to-H!! We have the choice of loading through the back or side, too. It's a nice option. I'm on my third one. The only thing about this last one that I'm not totally happy with is that it only has one side ramp. There's a large escape door on the driver's side.

Also, if you have one that needs extra space, you can remove the divider and give him a double stall. We do that in the front, so we don't have a problem with no butt bars in the back stalls and the safety factor. There's so much more you can do with a H-to-H!!
                                        \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Comment

Working...
                                        X