• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

slant vs. head to head??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slant without a moment of hesitation.

For a myriad of reasons it's better.

Comment

if boxing in a horse box then i do slant as its better or what we call herribone
      if on trialer they normally are made in uk head to head as straight up
      i have had allsorts of trialers from rice, to richardson to pegasus to ifor williams
      rear and front unloads
      i would now always chose a front unloading trialer
      which is the correct size width and height for my horses

some as in equi tek trialers or little lorries ride with horse facing backwards
      ie ramp end bonnie has travelled all ways as most of my horses have

but i much prefer a slant - as a horse can balance better

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
        Slant without a moment of hesitation.

For a myriad of reasons it's better.
        Just curious, what are some of those miriads of reasons?

Comment

Having owned a 4 horse head to head for almost 15 years and a 3 horse slant now for almost two years I prefer the slant load without a doubt! My large warmblood horses fit just fine (my trailer is 8 feet wide) they travel safer and I love the fact they can stick their heads out the side of the trailer at the shows, munch away at their hay nets and have all the fresh air they can breath. As well as I can see them from some distance away if I am at ringside watching the action

They are most definetly the best trailer configuration out there in my opinion!

Comment

In the 4 or 6 horse size a head to head. If you look at slants, particularly 4, 6, or 8 horse slants, pay attention to the stall sizes, many manufacturers squeeze more stalls in by making the stalls smaller, then for more normal size stalls they will label them "warmblood" size and the trailer with be more expensive.

A 4 horse slant load will be a little shorter trailer than a 4 horse head to head, but a 6 horse slant and 6 horse head to head will be about the same length in the horse area.

With head to heads you have the center aisle to put things like tack trunks, hay, or even a pony.

In a head to head you don't have to unload all the other horses to get to the one in the front.

I once saw a compromise between the two, a custom trailer that had 3 straight load stalls facing the rear in the mid section and 3 slant load stalls at the rear. Side and rear ramps.

I greatly prefer head to heads for the easy access to all of the horses, being able to move the dividers and give horses a stall and a half if need be, being able to make a section into a loose box area if need be, and having different options to haul a horse depending on what works best for that horse.

Comment

No question - head to head.
              Mary Lou
              http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                Just curious, what are some of those miriads of reasons?
                We actually call it herringbone here rather than slant.

Horse preference during transportation is that they most often choose to stand herringbone.

The reason you see so many rubbed tails when they're travelled forward-facing is because they use their back ends to balance, when they should be using their head and necks.

The research done in the UK by the University of Edinburgh backed up why herringbone by suggesting that there was effect of orientation on balancing ability and they found it easier to balance herringbone or slant, provided they were in where they could move their heads and necks and were properly and adequately supported with partitioning and there was good non slip flooring. Coming in 2nd was travelling facing away from the direction of travel. There's research that indicates that travelling really long distance on straight roads rear facing is preferable. But we don't have any such thing as straight roads or enormous distances!

Then herringbone optimises the space available. So you can transport 2 or 3 horses without needing any more space than you'd need for 2 travelling straight.

Gives more options for transportation: I travel with a host of combinations: Horses only. Pair of horses and 2 carriages. 4 horses and 1 big carriage.

The carriages are loaded first and on the back - using an electric winch which is permanently floor mounted at the back of the truck and not where any horses stand. Basically a tensile cable and hook is fastened to the carriage and the winch operated push button to bring the carriage up the ramp. (no pushing and pulling and having carriages rolling out and over you!) They're then chocked and kept secured and attached to the winch so they're not slipping and moving about and a partition placed in front of the carriage as extra safety. Because the horses are herringbone they can see the carriage/s too. Next to the winch on either side are equipment lockers and a load of clip things for fastening or hanging stuff (like carriage shaft/driving whips/livery coats etc). Grooms door is down this far end too.

For me an essential is also having a grooms door AND a side ramp and this just totally removes one of the potential disadvantages of herringbone loading more than 2 horses in that it enables access to all in there. My side ramp is just a little forward of the middle of the truck. Then there's a big ramp at the back.

The way my truck is configured because I need the flexibility with the variety of combination loads, I can actually alter the partitioning and change it from a herringbone load to a straight load. When it's like that there's a big empty space at the front (or 1 or 2 carriages) and then a pair of horses can stand facing either facing forward or away from the direction of travel and standing at the back. Truth is that though I built it so it would do that, I've never actually done it.

Again for me an essential is having power operated ramps. So they're just press button. I can't be doing with all that heaving and pulling and riving stuff about where you end up with a bad back and not able to do anything. (that's the engineer in me!)

Photo of mine showing central side ramp arrangement is here:

Last edited by Thomas_1; Mar. 16, 2009, 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

Thank you for the explanation.

I was wondering, because here, some rodeo contestants, that haul long and all year around, say that some of their horses in slants end up with a sore right shoulder, eventually.

I would not know, we only use a 16' gooseneck stock trailer with one middle partition if we have to haul more than a horse or two, like some cattle in front.
                  Our horses are trained to jump in there and not turn around and most do choose to stand at a slant, front end to the left.

Comment

Working...
                  X