• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

halti vs. gentle leader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riley0522 View Post
    I definitely disagree with you, but am curious as to why you say this?
    It's a personal opinion. I know most people think they are great, but if you need serious knowledge and training to be able to fit and use one properly, I just don't think they should be available to the general public.

Has anyone ever wrapped one around your neck, and given the leash to your friend? I've seen it, it wasn't pretty. You don't have to pull hard either.

I also think it is more effective to get inside a dogs head, and get it to behave and listen to commands you request that way, than to use training tools, or get physical to correct a behaviour.
    Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Whatever you use, please do not leave choke collars on dogs who are unattended.

I used to work as a vet tech and at least once a year we were called about dogs who hung themselves and died.

Comment

I think what we forget sometimes is that not all people want to train their way through problems. A lot of owners simply want to walk their dog. In cases like that, is it better to help the owner manage their dog or have them only attend a few classes/privates and get little out of them?

True story 1. I had an elderly client with a large All American who was …. Ummm…enthusiastic. He loved life. He was a generally happy dog. However, because he was so happy and loved life so much, it was hazardous for her to take him out anywhere. He would run to the end of the lead (flat collar) and then tow her along till something caught his attention and then he would lunge after that. We trained through a few minor problems but she was getting impatient to be able to take her dog out for a walk and with his high energy and her low compliance, training wasn’t going fast enough. So I brought a head halter to use. He was like a fish on a line. He struggled and struggled with it, which made my client really distressed. So we tried a prong. He hit the end of that 2X, and that was that. In this case the prong was a better choice, she would have made nice noises at me if I had insisted the head halter was the way to go and never used it or called me back. It would have been a fail episode.

True story 2. Another female client with a large rescue dog. Very friendly to people but quite dog aggressive. He had a large dose of self confidence and to top it off he was a sport fighter. She wanted to be able to walk him around town but was afraid of his behavior. So….we tried to train past it but again, she couldn’t put the time and miles in that this required. In this case I brought the head halter and he never tried to wipe it off his face, he never came to the end of the lead and was a totally different dog with it on. In this case the head halter was a fine choice.

So I think what we have to keep in mind is that each case is different. If you give a person a tool they don’t like or don’t believe in, they won’t use it. And if a tool that might not be my choice allows a dog to get out with their owner and do things, instead of being left home all the time, then I say use it.

Comment

Originally posted by LLDM View Post
          I just didn't like the Gentle Leader. I am fine with the Halti and my dog that pulls is a Foxhound. She dislikes both, but the Halti seems to bug her less. She hasn't gotten it off, but she did rub the Gentle Leader off on occasion.

SCFarm
          My foxhound also does well on the Halti. He does try to shake it off a bit, but he is more calm when we take walks now- he doesn't mind it that much. Before on a regular leash/collar, he would pull and pull and pull, even with a choke chain. The halti fits his face really well- he takes a size 4- and he hasn't slipped it off yet.
          Professional COTH lurker.
          Horses serve as a balm for the disquieted soul, and somehow allow even the most lost to feel at home in their presence ♥

Comment

When I took our first dog to obediance training, we used a head collar as a 'step' in the training. He was horrible to walk, and that daily walk was SO important to his mental and physical well-being. We tried him in both the Halti and the Gentle Leader. He absolutely hated the Halti. When we put him in it, he would put his paws on his nose, throw himself on the ground, and absolutely REFUSE to get up. Walking wasn't even a choice.

Then we tried the Gentle Leader. At first, while walking, he would try to fight it, however, with a bag of treats, he eventually ignored the collar and would walk well beside me. In time, I would start the walk with the head collar, then switch his leash from his head collar (and leave it on) to his regular collar. He would walk the rest of the way perfectly beside me. Eventually, he walked well in his regular collar without the Gentle Leader at all. Four years later, he's a joy to walk on the leash.

Our other dog is a tank. He's a lab mix, and only 55 lbs., but he gets his regular collar down lower on his neck and against his shoulders, and he can pull me wherever he wants. He's also getting older, and the strain that he uses to pull is causing some hind end lameness. I think if he would pull less when walked, he would be much more comfortable physically. I've tried him in the Gentle Leader, and he really doesn't like it, but I can keep his head 'up' and thus have much better control. I can, however, get the same effect by making sure he regular collar is right behind his ears when I walk him (so the underside of his collar is right behind his jowls). That way, I still have control of his head (he can't lower it and plow through my 'aids'), and without having the Gentle Leader across his nose. All of that said, I've been quite 'lax' with his regular, consistent training, and he's still sort of a pain in the a** to walk on the leash. If I were more consistent, he would be as well.
            Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
            Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
            My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X