• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jingles needed for my pup--Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jingles for Nakita from SC!

And some words of hope: We had a Tervuren bitch who developed a mysterious, very-sudden-onset liver issue. Some sort of hard-hitting infection that the vets (very good vets at a huge hospital with resources out the wazoo) just couldn't definitively identify. Maddie got very sick, very fast ... we feared the worst. But she DID recover (took about a week and included a couple of days in the hospital) with broad-spectrum antibiotics and supportive care and had no problems afterward.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Comment

Sorry to hear about your girl. I almost lost my Husky many years ago (when she was 9, she died when she was 14) from being poisoned (someone's idea of a cruel joke.)

She was an outside dog that immediately became an inside dog again. It wasn't until she turned around and was getting better that the figured she'd been poisoned so it was hard to treat. All she did was lay around and sleep and it was like pulling teeth just to get her outside to potty.

Getting her to eat was a challenge, but I knew what she liked. I got her to eat to regain her strength by fixing her scrambled eggs and hamburger twice a day, as much as I could get her to eat. She ate that for a over month until she was well enough and started eating dog food again. The extra protein helped w/ the anemia she had.

She made a full recovery. I hope this happens for your girl. They are very special dogs for sure. I miss my girl. She's been gone 5 years now. Her name was Sasha. Give your girls a pet for me.
      A Merrick N Dream Farm
      Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

amdfarm--

That's terrible about your girl!!!! People who poison other people's dogs should just be shot!

It's going to be a challenge in the eating department. The trick with our two is having a variety in their diet. So, I'm prepared to make a trip to PetCo tonight and pick up some different goodies for her to eat (all with vet approval). I feel like she won't be in the free and clear for awhile, not until I see her big white tail wagging again and high-fives and hugs. She's doing better, but still not her old self, which I know will take awhile. Thank goodness she's in good shape and strong.

She's going to be inside a lot more now. I want to keep a careful watch on her while she's recovering.

Huskies are special dogs indeed. I don't believe I could have another breed. (well, maybe a dobie, nah, huskies all the way).

Thanks coloredhorse for the encouraging words. We're going on 3 full days in the vet hospital, and if everything stays the same today or improves, then she'll come home. I'm nervous about her recovery. I just hope she doesn't relapse once she's home and I can't watch her 24/7 while we're at work. She will have Sheba with her, but that's not the same. I may see about bringing her in on Monday, and having the vet just look at her to make sure she's not rebounding. Poor girl. It's hard to watch a husky that's not bubbly and hyper. Even my husband can't believe how sick she's been.

The vet's office hasn't called me today, so I'm guessing that everything is okay. I will give them a shout later to find out about the bile acid test. I'm hoping it's good news.

Christina
        Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
        CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Comment

Just a side note, I don't want to panic you or anything, but if she turns out to be positive for Lepto it is zoonotic, meaning you can get it as well. It is more rare in people, and most only devlop mild flu symptoms and then recover. However it can cause kidney damage in some people, so if you or your hubby starts to feel ill in the next few weeks you should probably give your doc a call. It is contagous to people through contact with blood or urine from a sick dog, so be careful when she comes home if she has accidents.

Hope she's still improving, and your other dog is doing well.

Katherine, Vet Technician
          You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

Sending good wishes for your Husky girl.

If you want to make some healthy treats that dogs love, you can easily make home made chicken jerky.

Preheat oven to 180.

Use a nonstick cookie sheet or grease a cookie sheet.

Cut chicken in thin strips. (I froze the chicken first, then partially defrosted, and cut with a serrated knife).

Lay on cookie sheet.

Bake 2 hrs at 180, then turn pieces over and bake another hour. Sore in Ziplock bag.

Very healthy and all my dogs LOVE them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blkarab View Post
              amdfarm--

That's terrible about your girl!!!! People who poison other people's dogs should just be shot!

It's going to be a challenge in the eating department. The trick with our two is having a variety in their diet. So, I'm prepared to make a trip to PetCo tonight and pick up some different goodies for her to eat (all with vet approval). I feel like she won't be in the free and clear for awhile, not until I see her big white tail wagging again and high-fives and hugs. She's doing better, but still not her old self, which I know will take awhile. Thank goodness she's in good shape and strong.

She's going to be inside a lot more now. I want to keep a careful watch on her while she's recovering.

Huskies are special dogs indeed. I don't believe I could have another breed. (well, maybe a dobie, nah, huskies all the way).
              That's what I kinda thought, too, but of course couldn't prove who did it. We only found out because the Fire Chief and friend that lived down the road from us had two dogs come down the same symptoms, but both of them died (both well trained Labs, hunting dogs and their kid's best buds.) Then another neighbor lost his dog, too. Mine was the only dog out of 4 that we found out about that lived. Husky's are tough, no doubt about it. I spend a ton of money trying to figure out what was making her sick (University, local vets, etc... and nobody could tell me so we treated the symptoms.)

Vets said to give her anything she'll eat that's high in protein. So eggs, scrambled and a tiny bit raw mixed w/ browned hamburger. She didn't eat a whole lot at first, but it worked. She had to eat something and it didn't interfere w/ her sensitive tummy. When she regained more strength, I was able to start adding her dog food in w/ the mixture and eventually back off all together.

She never had one accident in the house either. If I couldn't get her to walk out, I carried her. She was an inside dog before she became an outside dog, so she still remembered that going in the house was not a good thing. I wouldn't have been mad at her if she did.

My girl was obedience trained through Advanced and had her CGC. She also knew how to "high five". Such a cool dog. I will have another Husky again. They're cool dogs. Getting teary just typing about her now. I so miss my Pooter Newter. Her nickname was Newt (from the Alien movie.) She was the first dog I ever bought. Got her when she was 8 weeks.

Jingles for Nakita. Do you have a pic of your girl so we can see who you're talking about and Sheba, too?

Here's one of my girl doing what she loved to do in her pool. Yep, she had her own pool, but had to share it w/ the lab and GSD, too. Do your girls love water, too? She would go nuts in the hose biting the water and chasing it.
              http://www.geocities.com/rljoutdoors/images/pool1.jpg

I raised three litters of pups w/ her, too. They were so much fun!!
              A Merrick N Dream Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

amdfarm--

What a beautiful girl!!!

Sheba hates water, however, she was adopted from Animal Rescue Foundation when she was little, and the litter was found in a ditch, soaked. I have always wondered if she nearly drowned, because she is terrified of water. Nakita, you could do anything to. I think she would be a great therapy dog, and I'm going to check into this with her (I have a friend who trains them). She is just so sweet and loving. Kids and those with disabilities, really seem to love her. I'm going to get new pictures this week and post. My others are old, and they still have their winter coats right now, so they are at their most beautiful.

Naktia is home now and doing well. She was running around the backyard on Friday like nothing ever happened. She's still very picky about her food, and will eat mainly if I give it to her like treats. She goes back on Monday for a check-up and to have the catheter removed. (they left it in, just in case). We have truckload of meds that we're giving her to help support her liver function and antibiotics that we are treating in case this is lepto. The vet won't receive the results from the Lepto test until next week. I'm still not entirely convinced it's that, but who knows. I'm leaning more towards the mushroom theory, since we found one in the backyard.

Horsegal-thanks for the FYI on the lepto being contagious. I wasn't sure, but it's good to know. We were being careful anyway, because Hubby has been sick with a really bad respiratory cold for a couple of weeks.

The chicken jerky sounds awesome!! I'll try that. I'm heading to the pet store today to pick up some different flavors of dog food to tempt the finickies. They both left their food yesterday. They were so happy to see each other, that they played all day, then slept right next to one another. We may have to take both dogs with us to the vet on Monday, just to eliminate doggie panic.

Thank you guys for all of the jingles!!!

Christina
                CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Comment

That's great news! Thanks for the update.
                  She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

Thanks, Christina! She was a good egg. Sounds like your Nakita, very sweet and loving. She loved everybody. The neighbor kids would call her "White Fang" and were scared of her, but I showed them that had nothing to fear.

Poor Sheba, I bet you're right.

Glad to hear your girl is back home and doing well. Will continue to jingle for her and look forward to pics. They have the best coats don't they?
                    A Merrick N Dream Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

We've had a bit of a set-back.

My husband took Nakita into the vet today to have the catheter removed and she had a seizure!

I'm just beside myself. She's at the vet's now for observation. Nakita had a fabulous weekend, bounding around the backyard, playing with Sheba, hyper, hyper, hyper. Completely back to her old self, even begging for treats.

We will hopefully have the Lepto titer results back today along with the bile acid test. They are going to recheck her liver enzymes today, just to see where we are at. I hope something conclusive comes back. Ughh.

Hubby and I are at a complete loss about what's wrong and just beside ourselves with worry. He had to help Nakita during her seizure, and is just so upset about the whole ordeal.

Hopefully, the vets can figure this out. In the meantime, Sheba is just so worried about her pal and confused about what is going on. Sheba would follow Nakita all over the backyard this weekend.

Thanks for all of the jingles and supportive words.

Christina
                      CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Comment

Oh no, Christina!! Sorry to hear that! I hope they figure things out when the test results come back. Poor girl.

(((HUGS))) to you, your husband and Sheba.

JINGLING LIKE MAD!!
                        A Merrick N Dream Farm

Comment

Sending get well wishes from TX.

Comment

• Original Poster

Nakita's home

We brought Nakita home last night, and so far, so good.

She seems a little tired and maybe a little worn out from her ordeal. It's also pretty hot here right now for March (80's), so that may have a little to do with it too.

We are going to change the routine up a little bit with her food, and hopefully once she finishes the antibiotics, she'll be better. I guess, it's just wait and see. I was so hoping that she would be completely better after yesterday's visit, but we now know that's not the case, so the focus has become management instead. The vet seemed hopeful that the epilepsy may subside after her liver heals. The ultra-sound apparently did show a shunt, close to the liver that was small, and the vets feel that once the liver recovers, the shunt should close. We are still waiting for the lepto titers to come back, and the bile acid test results. I'm hopeful that we will receive those today.

I hated to leave her home today, unsupervised, but I have to work (especially now to pay off the vet bill). She didn't seem stressed or anxious this morning and Sheba is there with her too.

Hopefully, after a day or two of normal routine, she'll stabilize.
                            CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Comment

Working...
                            X