• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I've been adopted by a sick kitten **Updated With Pics!!**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been adopted by a sick kitten **Updated With Pics!!**

*sigh* I was out feeding the chickens this am and a little grey kitten popped out of a pile of brush. Very sweet, kind thing, but so so so snotty that it was having a hard time breathing. I picked its nose and that helped. Its really skinny and small, prob. about 10 weeks old. It MUST have been someone's pet, but I can't find its family. Can you tell tomorrow is pay day? I guess that I am going to have to take her (i assume) to the vet.

Hubby won't let me keep her in the house. But I don't think that the barn is the best place for her. I don't know what to do!

PICTURES!!!

Here is Polly with my Dad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3335706618/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3334869573/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3334868129/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3334866017/
    Last edited by Carrera; Mar. 7, 2009, 11:01 AM.
    www.simplicityweimaraners.ca

Put her in a box with a blanket in the barn, or a shed if you have one, then take her to the vet or take her to the shelter.

I'm not sure it would HAVE to have been someone's pet--in my experience feral kittens tend to be less human-averse than adult ferals, and we've had a few just walk right up. It could also be dumped out of a car.
    Author Page
    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Animal Shelter right away.

If you have any other felines, do a lot of hand and clothes washing NOW.
      "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

If you have

If you have been adopted by a sick kitten, you are indeed special. I just lost the sick grey kitten that adopted me (at almost 7 due to kidney failure) and he told me I was special every day he was alive. Hope you find a way to bring her into the house. I'm sure she will repay you many times over. (mine was dumped by the way)

Sick kitty pictures and good cat quotes here:

http://web.centre.edu/dajones/

Congratulations on receiving such a special gift!
        Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

• Original Poster

She won't go to a shelter. If she is here, she is here to stay. She will just have to be a barn cat (for now). I have 2 other cats out there that are showing her the ropes and keeping her company

Comment

Please try.....yes, be religious about disinfecting and cleaning - but you are this little grey's chance - and for some reason, it chose YOU out of anybody else to ask for help.
            One little starfish and all that....
            Good on ya.
            ETA - just read your above post - I feel like doing a happy dance!!!!! I wonder if baby wipes might help clean the snots off...and am thinking about how some people use different products when kittehs have runny eyes so they don't get scald...any suggestions?
            Dee
            Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
            Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
            http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Many years ago I found a sick kitty! Her Mother had been beating her up and the faimly who was caring for them was away! Sidney turned out to be one of my favorite cats. I still remember how sick she was and how i sat and cried about it!

Good luck with your new Kitty!
              Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Comment

Having lost a kitten to FIP, until you take her to the vet, please keep her isolated from your other kitties as you don't know what her snotty nose really is. We had a kitten seem to have an URI and it turned out to be FIP. Just advice here as we want to keep your current kitties safe and healthy.
                "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

I was adopted by a little tiny snot-nosed sick kitten 3 years ago. She screamed outside my house for 2 days and I finally coaxed her into the garage with food (she was a bit feral). I had other cats so after her vet visit she stayed in a small bathroom until she had finished her medicine. She's now a TANK and sits on my lap when I'm in bed watching TV. Good luck with your new baby!
                  She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

I was adopted by a skinny, cold, and wet (but thankfully not sick) kitty 9.5 years ago. Best, most loving kitty I could have ever imagined. She'll have her 10th birthday this June.

Ditto the advice about keeping the sick one separate from your others if you can. Keep us posted on her progress.
                    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

Good for you Carrera, good for you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
                      \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

Uh-oh! join the club. I "blame" my horse vet for being a softie and taking this little guy when the dairy farmer asked her if she could find him an indoor home. He was a runt, 2 months old and just over a pound, with all kinds of worms and snots and snuffles. He even needed kitty PT because he was so delayed in motor skills from being undernourished. Today he's huge, 15+ lbs, with a motor that will drown out conversation and the only one of our cats that's allowed outside because he's too fat to climb out of the fenced yard!

I was going to post a picture but I can't figure out how. He was ugly. Now he's not.

Comment

She's more than likely got cat flu. The vet will quickly sort it and it won't cost too much

It will be fine in the barn. Put it in a box with a blanket to keep it warm and feed it twice a day and it won't give a damn where it is.

Oh and cats have a habit of doing this. You need to know that dogs have owners and cats have servants!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                            She's more than likely got cat flu. The vet will quickly sort it and it won't cost too much

It will be fine in the barn. Put it in a box with a blanket to keep it warm and feed it twice a day and it won't give a damn where it is.

Oh and cats have a habit of doing this. You need to know that dogs have owners and cats have servants!
                            You are so right... I've booked an appt. with the vet for friday. And hubby said she can stay in the house until she feels better

Comment

Hehehe

You are so right... I've booked an appt. with the vet for friday. And hubby said she can stay in the house until she feels better
                              Yea!!!!
                              Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

Hubby sounds like me...... I swear I've got "MUG" tattooed on my forehead!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thomas_1: Too funny!

But she (and that is now confirmed) must have a bath! She smells like pee. Its really gross actually... And I guess that once she is well enough she will be getting spayed too...

*sigh* I am trying to save up for a new dressage saddle. At least I have the funds to help this kitty

Comment

I was adopted by a 2 month old tabby back in October. I came in to feed one morning and she was at the back of the barn screaming at the top of her little lungs. She was cold, hungry, and injured. She's now my third house cat and just as sweet as can be. She loves to lay on my shoulder and neck when I'm sprawled on the couch or in bed. Good thing she's stayed small or I might be having issues with this!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend bathing her whilst she's ill...... stressful and she'll get cold.

Rather sling a load of talcolm powder on her for just now and just brush her. She'll like that and it will act as a dry shampoo.

Oh and stop smelling her!

Comment

I'd be a little worried about distemper, I'd be a lot worried about what she's got that the other cats might catch... BUT... I'd still do exactly as you're doing.

They tend to find me in my job(s). Usually when the time is right. For whatever reason. Good on'ya.
                                        InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Working...
                                        X