• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I've been adopted by a sick kitten **Updated With Pics!!**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took in two little ones when they were dumped into a dumpster (by mom, or human...don't know). They were about 3 weeks old....VERY sick and skinny. I bottle fed them every 2 hours for the first week and until I could convince them to lap the formula from a bowl. I employed one of my dogs for grooming! Grizzly Bear is now 8 months old and my love bug....Unfortunatly, his little sister Koala Bear passed away at 14 weeks. She was always tiny, and vet thinks that something was wrong internaly that we could not have corrected. Grizzy is my little love and one of the best kittens ever. If I had taken him to the shleter, he would have been tossed out with the trash that very day.

Here is a before and after of Grizz....my little grey kitten

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...2&id=735246878 - after, at 7 months
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...8&id=735246878 - Before with his little sister

If the kitten gets crusty eyes...make sure to clean them with a hot, damp rag...don't scrub, just hold it there for a few secconds till the crud comes off...same thing for its nose. If you have any Neo Poly bac (opthalmic and NON steroid) for the horses...you could use that for kittens eyes to keep them moisturized. Also, NO milk products. If the kitten wont eat dry food, try soaking it in a bit of hot water. Or you can sprinkle a bit of kitten formula over it to tempt kitten. I agree that I would try and isolate her from your other kitties. Although, if you cats are UTD on their vaccinations, they should be fairly well protected...except for FIP, FIV, and Feluk (the last two can be vaccinated against, but its not as common). As long as she stays warm, and her tummy is full, she should do OK. Make sure she's drinking though. You could also put a hot water bottle in her bed to give her something to snuggle with. Kinda like mom. I always put a stuffed animal in there too.

THANK YOU for taking her in! and THANK YOU for NOT taking her to the shelter.....she would most likely be euthanized there due to her being sickly. Welcome to the bleeding heart club! The ones that adopt you are often the best ones.

GOOD LUCK! keep us posted!

Johanna
    Last edited by QHEventr; Mar. 5, 2009, 10:26 AM. Reason: adding photo link
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Comment

We had a sick kitten dropped in our front yard on Christmas Eve 11 years ago. She has always appeared to me to be brain damaged but she is also my most loyal cat. Perhaps there is a connection. I can't advise on its illness.

Comment

Found a little tortie kitten in the middle of a road one cold rainy night. We were leaving my husband's uncles house in Dillon and she was just sitting there in the headlights and wouldn't move. I got out and picked her up and discovered her little eyes were sealed shut with crust. I brought her back to the truck and wrapped her in a shirt and dried her in front of the heater. Poor thing was scrawny, sick and half dead, but she snuggled up to me and purred.
        Took her to my Mom's house and cleaned her up, and promptly called my aunt down the road, who had just lost her beloved old dog. She came up to the house and I said "Here, she needs you!" My aunt took her in the next day, and after some antibiotics and other stuff she perked up. She did turn out to be blind in one eye from being sick, but she is the sweetest little kitty. My aunt calls her Mary Dill (she's a bit eccentric) and that little kitty is her best friend.
        Little homeless kittens are the best! I've taken in several over the years, and they have been the best barn cats. They've all passed on now, but each one is still special to me.
        Hope your little grey gets better and thrives!
        Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
        Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
          Hubby sounds like me...... I swear I've got "MUG" tattooed on my forehead!
          too funny! my husband swears he has "sucker" on his forehead and only strays can see it.
          we were leaving a h.s. football game with about 300 other people when my dh stops and says "do you hear that?"
          dh climbs down into a ravine, comes back covered in mud holding the tiniest little kitten in his palm. bloody and covered in burrs, we brought him home. dh took him to the vet the next day and 300.00 later we have a black cat who dh names luke bc "the force is stong with this one".
          luke now weighs 19 lbs(and is always on a diet) and is very sure that we were the lucky ones.
          good for you for helping this little one. keep us posted.

Comment

Awww!

These sick kitten stories are heartbreaking but also so hopeful that they were found. My sick kitty used to have nightmares (saw mom and siblings get hit by a car but was also starving so who knows what he dreamed). When he was little he used to sleep in the crook of my arm. He'd start whimpering and twitching in his sleep which would wake me up. When I'd start to pet him, he'd wake up and purr his little heart out and then eventually purr himself back to sleep. When he got older and I would have trouble sleeping, he would curl up against me and purr ME to sleep. Man I miss that cat!
            Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

I am so very, very glad that there are so many people like the posters in this thread....every single one of you ROCKS.
              If anybody has a weak or too-young-for-solids kitteh, KMR is incredible stuff. It isn't the cheapest thing around, but dang, it WORKS. I had great experience with the powdered version, and it does come in ready-to-serve as well.
              http://www.petco.com/product/5863/Pe...l-Animals.aspx
              A heating pad is also a wonderful thing for little ones who are too small to keep themselves warm.
              Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
              Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
              http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Good for you for being this little kitty's angel There are way too many cats in the animal shelters...

I took in a stray skinny cat recently and he seemed sickly to me - he had to be put down a week or so later with kidney failure.

I do think it is smart to keep it separated from your other cats until the vet visit though, before it's tested for diseases. The stray might be fine, but you never know, and it's not worth the risk to your other cats.
                "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Comment

Awww, another heartwarming thread. I hope the kitty gets well! Did you name her yet?
                  There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I've got 5 kitties and 2 of them came to me in similar ways as yours. Little Oscar was literally thrown out of a car onto our driveway (has the scars from the embedded tar to prove it) and was starving and filthy to boot. Took us 3 days to catch him and we were frantic that he would not make it.
                    Before of Oscar:
                    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=100_0131.jpg

later and now:
                    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=1f9f3854.jpg
                    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=IMG_2251.jpg

Here's our newest edition, Peaches:
                    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...urrent=080.jpg

Good luck with your kitten. I always keep the new ones separated in one of our 2 bathrooms until I can get them tested at the vet. Once they are proven negative for FIV, I introduce them to the rest of the "herd".

Comment

My sick kitten is now 5 years old and has been ruling the household since the day I found her .
                      "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
                      -fry & laurie

Comment

Originally posted by 3horsemom View Post
                        too funny! my husband swears he has "sucker" on his forehead and only strays can see it.
                        we were leaving a h.s. football game with about 300 other people when my dh stops and says "do you hear that?"
                        dh climbs down into a ravine, comes back covered in mud holding the tiniest little kitten in his palm. bloody and covered in burrs, we brought him home. dh took him to the vet the next day and 300.00 later we have a black cat who dh names luke bc "the force is stong with this one".
                        luke now weighs 19 lbs(and is always on a diet) and is very sure that we were the lucky ones.
                        good for you for helping this little one. keep us posted.
                        Been there! Done that!

Many years ago we were coming home having been to vets with a couple of dogs for vaccinations and came across a cat on the road that had obviously been hit by a car. It was a big well cared for cat and even had a collar and bell on but no name tag. So we picked it up and took it straight back into the vets........ which was actually just a few yards down the road. The cat had to have surgery and a leg amputated so was at the vets for some time. The vet had cards up in the practice to see if anyone knew whose it was. Nothing! They arranged for the local RSPCA and cat protection league to be informed to see if they could find the owner. Nothing! The cat recovered so we brought it home to recouperate rather than having it put to stress in a big welfare cattery. We paid for supplementary advertising in the local newspaper. Nothing! We ended up with an £800 vet bill and a cat called Tripod!!!!

Our current compliment is 4/5 cats!!

We're in the process of trying to trap number 5 who just turned up about 2 months ago: and to have him/her neutered! To date that one is just having food put out so it starts to come regularly and eventually it will be trapped and neutered and either re-homed elsewhere ...... I've a chance of persuading one of the girls who works for me to have it for her parents farm. Or else we'll end up with 5!

Each and every one was 'homed' to us and 3 from feral colonies.

Having said that all but Sid Viscious, has decided in time that the farm house is much more preferable to the barn and they only venture down to the stables and barn when they want to.

Sid's the only one we have that decided he didn't want servants and feed on demand. He was an older un-neutered Tom cat when we first acquired him. My wife went to see him at the vets after he'd just been trapped as part of a huge feral colony clear-out. Our vet (some friend he is!) said come and see them, no obligation. Sid had a sign on his cage that said "euthanase or neuter after Susan has viewed"

Needless to say he got neutered and came to Flodden Edge! He's not sociable - indeed he's a total wild thug! Huge! Bigger than a lot of small terrier dogs and twice as fierce! We often don't see him for weeks on end. We put dry food down for him but I'm convinced he doesn't touch it and it feeds the mice! He copes perfectly well each winter. He normally gets himself in the hay barn and somewhere between and in the middle of the stacks of round bales.

We have all tested for feline leukaemia and aids once they've been trapped. Anything that has been positive over the years has been put down. Anything feral that is negative is neutered, has an ear tip clipped (so we/others/vets etc know it's been done) and is either rehomed to another farm or if all else we tend to get stuck with it.

Comment

you big softy tom,,
                          mind you i have had loads of cats the same way, i found tootsie mum and her brother in a bag in the road after seeing a mate, the bag moved and it wasnt windy, curiousity got the better of me, i had mum done and paid heaps out for her and the kittys
                          pelham the mother was my 1st barn cat rescue her son snaffles was huge dirty big cat
                          hes still about and comes and goes hes been done, normally catches me off guard and when i least expect it ie when i am mucking out he appears from nowhere and jumps on my neck
                          and bites my head and hair,, hes like a litttle black panther his sister tootsie is the one that died last year after 28yrs together there mum got knocked down in the lane 2yrs after i brought her home, since then i was given a pair of tabbies socks and tom

socks died one week before fogi, shes 20yrs old tom her brother is still here and her son
                          cuddles of whom is also long haired but smokey grey, then have 2 nieces from her other son
                          balze or kara as wasnt quick enought to catch them , that mated to a rescue cat poppy
                          of whom we got cause someone didnt want her and dumped her outside my gate
                          all i have left are snap and crackle tootsie kittens which are about 20yrs
                          tom hes about 20 cuddles 15 poppy kittens as pop died last year, sky and star
                          and new rescue due to be done-- quick as in hes quick so thats hes name

i would rrather have a dozen cats than a dozen rats- i odnt have rats well not ones i can see anyways

Comment

• Original Poster

So we just got back from the vet...The only thing wrong with the little one is that she is skinny and has a bit of a runny nose. Its cleared up on its own rather well! Vet gave her the all clear to be introduced to my boys and to live a long and happy life here.

Now I need a name! She's a keeper...
                            www.simplicityweimaraners.ca

Comment

Carrera, I'm so pleased for you and even more so for young kitten. I still have Baby who moved with me from the small farm to the big farm to the city. She's 20 this year and going strong. Old Cat came from the farm with me and she's probably around 17. There's nothing like a stray!

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
                              \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

Originally posted by Carrera View Post

Now I need a name! She's a keeper...
                                Now comes the fun part - A NAME! Since she was found amongst the chickens, how about:

Chick (or Chicky)
                                Scratch
                                Hen (or Henny)
                                Roo (for roost)
                                Brush (found in brush pile, and for horse brushes!)

So glad she's yours!
                                Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrera View Post
                                  And hubby said she can stay in the house until she feels better

I had a wild, hurt kitty adopt me about 5 years ago. He was so small he fit in the palm of my hand, his eyes were still blue and he had to be bottle fed by hand every two hours for almost two weeks. He was missing the paw part of one hind leg. Don't know if he was born that way or if he was injured shortly after being born.

Hubby said he could stay in the house until he was done being bottle fed, then he had to move to the tack room. Yeah, like that happened!!!!

Cujo is 5 now, weighs in at 25 pounds and still lives in the house. Once they're in, they're in!!!
                                  The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
                                  Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
                                  Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Comment

Ok, I have to ask. Is it just mine or do these poor little sick kittens have the ability to purr louder then any other cats known to man? When my little October (I named her after the month I found her in) gets rolling, you need earplugs to drown her out. My other two, not so much. Heck, my Himalayan I don't think knows how to purr!

Comment

Originally posted by smid2 View Post
                                      Ok, I have to ask. Is it just mine or do these poor little sick kittens have the ability to purr louder then any other cats known to man? When my little October (I named her after the month I found her in) gets rolling, you need earplugs to drown her out. My other two, not so much. Heck, my Himalayan I don't think knows how to purr!
                                      Nope!!! It's not just yours!!!!

Cujo has been affectionately dubbed the "NASCAT" because when he purrs he sounds like a NASCAR stock car!!!!
                                      The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
                                      Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
                                      Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Comment

Originally posted by pinkdiamondracing View Post
                                        Nope!!! It's not just yours!!!!

Cujo has been affectionately dubbed the "NASCAT" because when he purrs he sounds like a NASCAR stock car!!!!

Yeah Carrera!! Hmmm.... now a name... How 'bout a pic or two to help us out?
                                        View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Comment

Originally posted by smid2 View Post
                                          Both of mine purr loud enough to all but rattle the windows
                                          "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
                                          -fry & laurie

Comment

Working...
                                          X