• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Desperately need advice....(kind of long)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately need advice....(kind of long)

I have an 11yo Golden "Katie" who I recently took in for Senior screening. Everything was fine but her liver counts were a little high. Vet put her on Denamarin and it has been downhill from there. Started having very bad diarrhea, throwing up, not eating etc. Called vet and he said it cant be meds b/c diarrea is not side effect and told me to give it a few more days. This is middle of week and by Saturday i had had enough. I took her off the meds.

Monday morning we get to the vet and Katie needs to go #2. Of course it is green and part liquid diarrhea (sorry for the detail). I take her in and explain all the symptoms and let the vet know she just had a BM outside and explaining the description. He says he does not need to see it but they do want to keep her overnight to evaluate. Well of course I call that afternoon and she is fine, stool is firm eating (had lost 3lb) well but they will keep her overnight JIC. Of course she is fine, she has been off med for two days! I pick her up the next dat and the verdict is the same. They tell me she probably got into some new spring grass that upset her tummy. This has been going on for 3 weeks but ok whatever you say.
    I put Katie back on the Denamarin (per vet) and of course all symptoms return. So I bring her back Thursday (fully loaded). I call that afternoon and of course they are trying to get her diarrhea under control (thank God).
    So Katie ended up staying two days at vets. She had dropped a total of 7lbs and they were taking her off the Denamarin. Big shocker there. They send her home with canned food and meds to firm the stool. Of course she is sensitive to the meds (but her stool is firmer) and she will hardly eat. She has been on Prescription Diet i/d (I know please don't flame) all her life. I have tried mixing canned with wet, adding warm water to dry food, dilted chicken broth to food etc. She eats a little but she is just not interested. She has been off the stool hardener for almost a week. When she lays down I can hear the digesation and gas. Her demeanor is great and she always wants whatever I am having (I do not give treats, table scraps, etc) but gives me the forlorn look and only eats a few bites of her food.

I need advice on another pet food that will be easy on her stomach and not taxing on her liver. I have done COTH searches here on the premium dog foods so know what is ok/not ok but I know nothing about any other brands besides the i/d. Please help!

Eukanuba Low Residue is an Rx diet for sensitive stomachs that is a good alternative to i/d, in my experience dogs that do not like i/d do like low res...good luck!!!

Comment

Did your vet mention anything about Milk Thistle and SaME supplements? We had a dog with liver problems, and our vet recommended trying that, and it did help her for several months.
      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

• Original Poster

No I had read about the milk thistle and was thinking about picking some up at health food store. There is also a holistic vet about 30 min from us that I will probably take her to. I got her to eat some canned i/d this evening but she only did because I kept after her. I think she is equating this food with sickness and has just lost interest it. She is going in for a 10 day checkup soon and I want some weight on her. There is another med similar to Denamarin I would like to try (cant think of name) but I just don't want her to go through those same side effects again. I think the vets are just waiting for her to gain some weight before they try something else.

Comment

canned pumpkin works really well for regulating them-hardens if needed, softens if needed.

She might need to get some good flora back in her digestive tract- acidophilis- or yougart...

as far as food, how about some rice and boiled chicken for a little while?

Comment

Originally posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
            Did your vet mention anything about Milk Thistle and SaME supplements? We had a dog with liver problems, and our vet recommended trying that, and it did help her for several months.
            Denamarin IS SAMe and milk thistle.

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products...arin/index.asp

So if she is sensitive to Denamarin, she may very well have a reaction to these as well.
            ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

Purina EN is good, as is Iams/Eukanuba Low-Residue for sensitive stomachs. Boiled meat and rice is OK only short-term, but it is unbalanced and not to be used for more than a few days as a diet. Basically, you want something easily digestible with low fat. Royal Canin low-fat diet is also good. Giving her some yogurt isn't a bad idea, either.

Now, about her liver. The only time you need to worry about harming the liver through diet is if she has REALLY high liver enzymes and hepatic encephalopathy. You don't have to reduce the protein in the diet; having a highly-digestible form of protein will do fine. Meat is better than dairy which is better than plant. Eggs are very digestible too (there is a Royal Canin formula that has egg as the exclusive protein). But really, I wouldn't worry about her liver much when picking a diet. If she has severe liver disease, that's another story, but from what you've said, it doesn't sound like that.

Has she been on any other medications prior to the senior screening? Any other concurrent diseases? The chronic diarrhea may or may not be related to the liver problem. You've said she's had diarrhea like this for 3 weeks, even though the screening was just a week ago?

I would avoid milk thistle and SAMe, like Nancy said, since she seems to be sensitive to these products.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Pancakes View Post
                Has she been on any other medications prior to the senior screening? Any other concurrent diseases? The chronic diarrhea may or may not be related to the liver problem. You've said she's had diarrhea like this for 3 weeks, even though the screening was just a week ago?

I would avoid milk thistle and SAMe, like Nancy said, since she seems to be sensitive to these products.
                She has been on Cosequin and the PD i/d. She did not have any symptoms until she started the Denamarin. Senior screening was end of January. But she has had the diarrhea for a good 3 weeks+ (it varies in the consistency).

I was thinking the Denamarin had milk thistle but there is another product similar that I was getting it confused with. Once I find out the name I will ask the vet about it.

I just got through giving her more canned i/d. If I can keep breaking it up into small meals I might be ok.

I will have to try the sweet potatoe, rice and yogurt.

Comment

My Rottie has had blood pulled several times over the last 2 years~ her liver enzymes tend to be in the high "range" although at this point the vet is not exactly worried, we'er just monitoring right now~ she has been put on Metronidizale (sp?) for her vicious bouts of diarhhea~ it has helped to stablize her enzymes while she's been sick, I don't know if it has any direct links to aiding the hgih enzymes or if it's just something that helps her while she's sick.
                  Rice boiled in a chicken or beef broth does help 'bind' her up (when I can get her to eat it)

I second the Royal Canin suggestion~ they make a wonderfully balanced diet and stand behind their product 100%, IF you dog doesn't like it, they refund the money, IF it makes your dog sick they refund the money... AWESOME customer service etc...

Good Luck~ its awful when one of your pets is sick~ the big ol'puppy dog eyes just kill me

Comment

Can you get tripe there??? If so that just minced or cut into small bits with wholemeal biscuits or plain cooked wholemeal pasta.

If not tripe then just cooked chicken or fish with wholemeal biscuits or pasta .

With our old golden retrievers, we tend to go back to feeding little and often and split their food into 2 or 3 feeds a day and which is easier on their older digestive systems and kidneys.

I'd also be inclined to go get a second opinion for the old girl. Specifically check kidney function and get a stool sample tested. I think the approach of giving an animal a "stool hardener" is curious ..... seems to me that is treating a symptom and not a root cause. I'd want to know why the dog has got diarrhoea and treat that. If it's because her diet is bad, then change the diet. If it's as a consequence or side effect of another drug, then take her off that unless of course there's no alternative and it's critical she's on it.

However it sounds to me like you had a healthy and happy old dog until you took her to the vet and they put her on medication. Now either she's got a condition that is coincidental or else it's a side effect of that drug. My understanding though is that this drug shouldn't cause that effect and indeed it should improve appetite. Was the dog having problems before you took her to the vet?

The "spring grass" thing got me totally confused........ I started thinking "golden retriever" then was thinking horse??? Tell your vet it's a dog!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scpezold View Post
                      She has been on Cosequin and the PD i/d. She did not have any symptoms until she started the Denamarin. Senior screening was end of January. But she has had the diarrhea for a good 3 weeks+ (it varies in the consistency).

I was thinking the Denamarin had milk thistle but there is another product similar that I was getting it confused with. Once I find out the name I will ask the vet about it.

I just got through giving her more canned i/d. If I can keep breaking it up into small meals I might be ok.

I will have to try the sweet potatoe, rice and yogurt.
                      Silymarin? That is the "chemical" name for milk thistle. Denosyl, maybe? Another similar product, different name.

If you can keep her eating the i/d, then do that -- any further changes to the diet will only upset her stomach more. Rice, sweet potato, and yogurt are all good to supplement if she'll eat it. Stick to a balanced diet -- Royal Canin really does make great stuff, and it seems to be very palatable to dogs too. I'd try that first before giving her organ meats (sorry, tripe is not nutritious) and chicken/rice for more than a day or two.

It sounds like you just need to support her through this time until her GI tract adjusts again, and stay away from any of the related products to denamarin, silymarin, denosyl, or S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe). Maybe once she gets better, try her with a different medication to the one she was given initially -- these products do help the liver, and it may have been the specific way the medication was created (additives, formulations, etc) that upset her GI tract.

If she continues to have diarrhea despite the bland (i/d) diet and still seems depressed, bring her back or get a second opinion. There are many causes of diarrhea, and someone who is able to look at her entire history and labwork can better piece together the puzzle.

I don't necessarily think stool binders for now is a bad idea -- the inciting cause was removed presumably (the denamarin) and it's a supporting medication to add to make the dog more comfortable and stop the diarrhea. If you had diarrhea, wouldn't you take something to stop it in the meantime while you searched for a cause or waited it to run its course? Or would you just want to have diarrhea for days? In this case, I think time will tell and help resolve things.

I'm sorry your girl is feeling crappy It really breaks my heart to have them look at you like "why am I feeling this way, mom??" Hopefully she'll start to improve in a few days and get back to normal.

Comment

echo thomas when my dogs are unwell it back to basics and treat them as you would a puppy chicken and rice or pasta is not heavy on there tums or mince beef and rice
                        you can mince chicken or beef smaller in a home mincer so it ssame size as rice and easier to diegest failling that a liquidizer if she not eating then liquidise it to tempt her to eat it

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey guys thanks so much for all suggestions. I have been unable to get back on COTH the last few days (making sure she is settled, work and the barn routine once I get home--I am sure you can relate).

Update: Up until today I have been sitting with Katie while she eats. She has been doing better (mixing dry and canned) but it still keeps going through her. She went back to the vet today. She is spending a few nights there for monitoring as well as trying out new meds. Good news is she has not lost any weight, badd news she has not gained either

Originally posted by Seriously_Hunter View Post
                          she has been put on Metronidizale (sp?) for her vicious bouts of diarhhea~ it has helped to stablize her enzymes while she's been sick
                          I second the Royal Canin suggestion~ they make a wonderfully balanced diet and stand behind their product 100%, IF you dog doesn't like it, they refund the money, IF it makes your dog sick they refund the money... AWESOME customer service etc...
                          SH-the vet mentioned enzyme imbalance and is going to try meds to stabilize. I also spoke to him about her maybe being tired of her food (been on it all her life). He said that definitely could be part of it so I will bring these recommendations to him. Thanks!

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                          Can you get tripe there??? If so that just minced or cut into small bits with wholemeal biscuits or plain cooked wholemeal pasta.

Thomas, unfortunately we cannot get tripe in our area. I have heard lots of people feeding and am looking at the nutritional benefits. Still doing research on it myself.

With our old golden retrievers, we tend to go back to feeding little and often and split their food into 2 or 3 feeds a day and which is easier on their older digestive systems and kidneys.
                          You have Goldens too! Aren't they just the best I have reduced her feedings to smaller portions more times per day. A little better but not much.

I'd also be inclined to go get a second opinion for the old girl. Specifically check kidney function and get a stool sample tested. I think the approach of giving an animal a "stool hardener" is curious ..... seems to me that is treating a symptom and not a root cause. I'd want to know why the dog has got diarrhoea and treat that. If it's because her diet is bad, then change the diet. If it's as a consequence or side effect of another drug, then take her off that unless of course there's no alternative and it's critical she's on it.
                          Yes I will be getting second opinion once she comes home from regular vet. There is a vet around 30 min from here whom I have heard is wonderful. May use her. They gave her the stool "firmer" meds to get her stool stabilized. Right now they are focusing on getting her weight up before they tried any other meds. She is so sensitive to meds they did not want her taking more then one at a time especially if we are trying to get weight back on her.
                          She has been fed nothing but the i/d (aka very very bland) all her life. She also never gets treats (except her "treat" Cosequin and "treat" Heartguard). She also never gets any table scraps and no "sharing" is ever done.
                          At this point it is not critical that she is on anything except to get her stool firmer and more weight put on.

However it sounds to me like you had a healthy and happy old dog until you took her to the vet and they put her on medication. Now either she's got a condition that is coincidental or else it's a side effect of that drug. My understanding though is that this drug shouldn't cause that effect and indeed it should improve appetite. Was the dog having problems before you took her to the vet?

The "spring grass" thing got me totally confused........ I started thinking "golden retriever" then was thinking horse??? Tell your vet it's a dog!!!
                          That is what is so crazy...she was perfectly happy and healthy before and ever since the Denamarin she has gone down hill. She has been off Denamarin for 2 weeks and stool firmer for about 1.5 weeks so more then enough time to get out of system.

Yes, Katie has always been a grass eater (nothing out of the ordinary). Hah...yes she is definitely a dog but loves to go after the horses (fenceline seperating of course ). She is not lethargic at all displays her same activity level when she goes outside. She is in very good spirits.

Silymarin? That is the "chemical" name for milk thistle. Denosyl, maybe? Another similar product, different name.
                          DENOSYL! That was the name I was trying to think of (racking my brain).

If you can keep her eating the i/d, then do that -- any further changes to the diet will only upset her stomach more. Rice, sweet potato, and yogurt are all good to supplement if she'll eat it. Stick to a balanced diet
                          She is eating the i/d and vet is going to give her something to make more palatable while she is GI is stabilizing.

stay away from any of the related products to denamarin, silymarin, denosyl, or S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe). Maybe once she gets better, try her with a different medication to the one she was given initially -- these products do help the liver, and it may have been the specific way the medication was created (additives, formulations, etc) that upset her GI tract.
                          This is exactly what we are doing. Not focusing on any liver meds but getting her back healthy.

I'm sorry your girl is feeling crappy It really breaks my heart to have them look at you like "why am I feeling this way, mom??" Hopefully she'll start to improve in a few days and get back to normal.
                          It makes me feel so bad and I so want to read her mind to know whats going on. Every time I take her to the vet (especially to leave her) I have to tell myself when I am speaking to vet: "This is a business meeting, this is a business meeting" over and over in my mind otherwise I would be a blubbering idiot of a mess. It is all I can do to keep from crying when I drop her off-even when it is just to get her teeth cleaned (I know, pitiful).

Guys, thank you all for your advice and recommendations. Sounds like you all are spot on with the vet (what profession did you say you are in?).

I will let you know when I get an update.

Comment

I just wanted to add my well wishes. My fragile flower has gone through digestion problems in the past, so we've done the chicken/rice routine, the feed-each-piece-of-kibble-from-my-fingers routine, etc. One thing that seemed to help her appetite when she was very disinterested even in chicken and rice was warming it in the microwave before giving it to her.

Personally, I'd ask my current vet now about consulting the nearest large vet hospital or a specialist, and if he/she can't get this under control in the next 2 days, I'd go that route.

It is all I can do to keep from crying when I drop her off-even when it is just to get her teeth cleaned (I know, pitiful).
                            Oh, not pitiful at all. On the very rare occasion I've had to leave mine at the vet, I drove home sobbing. It's scary. Get well soon, Katie!

Comment

I have an 11yo Golden "Katie" who I recently took in for Senior screening. Everything was fine but her liver counts were a little high. Vet put her on Denamarin and it has been downhill from there. Started having very bad diarrhea, throwing up, not eating etc. Called vet and he said it cant be meds b/c diarrea is not side effect and told me to give it a few more days. This is middle of week and by Saturday i had had enough. I took her off the meds.

Monday morning we get to the vet and Katie needs to go #2. Of course it is green and part liquid diarrhea (sorry for the detail). I take her in and explain all the symptoms and let the vet know she just had a BM outside and explaining the description. He says he does not need to see it but they do want to keep her overnight to evaluate. Well of course I call that afternoon and she is fine, stool is firm eating (had lost 3lb) well but they will keep her overnight JIC. Of course she is fine, she has been off med for two days! I pick her up the next dat and the verdict is the same. They tell me she probably got into some new spring grass that upset her tummy. This has been going on for 3 weeks but ok whatever you say.
                              I put Katie back on the Denamarin (per vet) and of course all symptoms return. So I bring her back Thursday (fully loaded). I call that afternoon and of course they are trying to get her diarrhea under control (thank God).
                              So Katie ended up staying two days at vets. She had dropped a total of 7lbs and they were taking her off the Denamarin. Big shocker there. They send her home with canned food and meds to firm the stool. Of course she is sensitive to the meds (but her stool is firmer) and she will hardly eat. She has been on Prescription Diet i/d (I know please don't flame) all her life. I have tried mixing canned with wet, adding warm water to dry food, dilted chicken broth to food etc. She eats a little but she is just not interested. She has been off the stool hardener for almost a week. When she lays down I can hear the digesation and gas. Her demeanor is great and she always wants whatever I am having (I do not give treats, table scraps, etc) but gives me the forlorn look and only eats a few bites of her food.

I need advice on another pet food that will be easy on her stomach and not taxing on her liver. I have done COTH searches here on the premium dog foods so know what is ok/not ok but I know nothing about any other brands besides the i/d. Please help!

Hello scpezold,

I ran across your post as I have been googling Denamarin and your thread came up....

I odd that my 12 year old Siberian has had some similar issues... 3 weeks ago we brought her into the vet to ge full blood workup as she is a senior dog. We do this every 6-9 months to watch for signs of anything, as any slight change could be an indicator of something else in a senior dog...

Anyways, the bloodwork came back showing 2 slightly elevated liver enzymes. The doctor put her on denamarin and wanted her to come back 30 days later to see if the enzymes improved.

Also to mention is that when the bloodwork was done, Bandit had the runs for nearly 2 1/2 weeks straight. Just like you described with Katie...

Anyways, the vet didn't think the 2 were related and sent me on my merry way. being the AR personality that I am, especially on my "girl" bandit, I took her to a internist and oncologist who promptly did an ultrasound only to find a tumor on the liver.

It has been 2 weeks since the grapefruit sized tumor has been removed from my bandit. The unfortunate thing is that the histpath results came back and she still has cancer cells in her liver, which means that she still has cancer and it can come back at any time, or not, we just dont know. Chemo has little results against the type of cancer she has so we will have to make some hard decsions to see if we want to try that route or not...

Sorry I deviated - going back to the runs on your katie and my bandit, the oncologist was also able to diagnose correctly that in addtion to the liver tumor/cancer, she also had lymphoplasmacytic enteritis.

http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/Irri...welDisease.htm

They gave me some meds (sorry I dont have them here they are at home and I'm camping in my trailer) and it fixed it in a few days.

I will post the name of the meds when I get home on Monday, but I remeber googling the med and found it to be a lo grade carsanogin, but only with long term use...

Sorry I have no specific medicine name to give now, but I hope that you can persue the diagnosis that Bandit had and hope it helps Katie.

Also may want to get an ultrasound done to check if there is any growth on the liver causing the enzymes to rise on her too...

best of luck.

Kevin

Comment

How nice of you, Kevin, to join here just to help someone out ! Good luck with Bandit.
                                from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Comment

Originally posted by bambi_bandit View Post
                                  Hello scpezold,

I ran across your post as I have been googling Denamarin and your thread came up....

I odd that my 12 year old Siberian has had some similar issues... 3 weeks ago we brought her into the vet to ge full blood workup as she is a senior dog. We do this every 6-9 months to watch for signs of anything, as any slight change could be an indicator of something else in a senior dog...

Anyways, the bloodwork came back showing 2 slightly elevated liver enzymes. The doctor put her on denamarin and wanted her to come back 30 days later to see if the enzymes improved.

Also to mention is that when the bloodwork was done, Bandit had the runs for nearly 2 1/2 weeks straight. Just like you described with Katie...

Anyways, the vet didn't think the 2 were related and sent me on my merry way. being the AR personality that I am, especially on my "girl" bandit, I took her to a internist and oncologist who promptly did an ultrasound only to find a tumor on the liver.

It has been 2 weeks since the grapefruit sized tumor has been removed from my bandit. The unfortunate thing is that the histpath results came back and she still has cancer cells in her liver, which means that she still has cancer and it can come back at any time, or not, we just dont know. Chemo has little results against the type of cancer she has so we will have to make some hard decsions to see if we want to try that route or not...

Sorry I deviated - going back to the runs on your katie and my bandit, the oncologist was also able to diagnose correctly that in addtion to the liver tumor/cancer, she also had lymphoplasmacytic enteritis.

http://www.cairnrescue.com/docs/Irri...welDisease.htm

They gave me some meds (sorry I dont have them here they are at home and I'm camping in my trailer) and it fixed it in a few days.

I will post the name of the meds when I get home on Monday, but I remeber googling the med and found it to be a lo grade carsanogin, but only with long term use...

Sorry I have no specific medicine name to give now, but I hope that you can persue the diagnosis that Bandit had and hope it helps Katie.

Also may want to get an ultrasound done to check if there is any growth on the liver causing the enzymes to rise on her too...

best of luck.

Kevin
                                  The meds that cured her runs is called Metronidazole, 250mg tablet every 12 hours for 10 days for her weight (~50 lbs).

As I mentioned before, the meds does have risk of side effects, but my Bandit did not seemed to be affected by it, possible due to the realtivly low dosage and short duration.

Google canine Metronidazole to get info if this a vet takes does indeed diagnose lymphoplasmacytic enteritis or other inflammatory processes in the gastrointestinal system.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...le&btnG=Search

Good luck.

Kevin

Comment

Why has she been on I/D all her life? History of GI issues? That's typically not a food they need to be on all the time.

Did they check for pancreatitis? Kind of sounds like secondary hepatitis?

Really sounds like some chronic pancreatitis to me...but I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV.
                                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

What is going on with the pups????

I just wanted to offer jingles and support.

My Siberian has been battling liver problems since last week. I just posted about it last week (Jingles for my pup).

I would second the Denosyl and the Metro. That's what my vet put Nakita on last week and seems to be helping, along with IV fluids to get her rehydrated.

I would second the ultrasound. I was amazed at what you could see. The vet was excellent in walking through what we were seeing and what we should look for.

As for diet...I have become really fond of Wellness for all of my pets (cats and dogs). It's pricey, but not as much as the prescription. I had a cat with severe food allergies, and once we put him on Wellness, all of that cleared up and he now acts like a kitten! It's also a tasty food too.

Jingles for Katie...I know how scared you must be, and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Christina
                                      Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
                                      CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Comment

Thomas, unfortunately we cannot get tripe in our area.
                                        Scpezold--poppycock! Tripe is beef tongue and you can often get it at the supermarket in with the other disgusting things like chicken's feet, head cheese and pig stomach....

Do you cook the tripe, Thomas???? Boil it, I suppose???

Sorry your pup is not doing well. I used to have two dogs and remember how exasperating it was when they were ill....

You might try the pumpkin for the loose stool though--just a couple teaspoons at a time:
                                        http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm .

Wasn't Science Diet involved in that scandal a few months back when the dogs and cats were being poisoned with that melamine from China??? It struck me as odd when I heard that because Science Diet is supposed to be such high class feed (not!).
                                        Last edited by Cherry; Mar. 12, 2009, 03:42 AM.
                                        "None of us can move forward if half of us are being held back." ~Anonymous~

Comment

Working...
                                        X