• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Recommendations for underground pet fencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for underground pet fencing

Anyone have a brand of underground electric fencing for dogs that they can recommend? Looking for something to contain our JRT who has discovered the thrills of car chasing . Must be easy to install and actually work. Thanks in advance!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

we used to have it for our JRT's. While training, use a lunge line and make sure he can touch the edge of the fence, and not run thru it. Our male ran thru it the first few times AFTER 2 weeks of regular training, b/c the deer were almost tame and he wanted to chase them. after he ran thru it, we did the lunge line and waited for the deer, and he could only get shocked or come toward the house. So he DID learn. it was not a lot of training. i think the brand was petsafe? but i cannot remember. We have lived here for 4 yrs and this house has a chainlink fence. we installed the underground fence ourselves with a pick axe.
    Last edited by Nezzy; Feb. 5, 2009, 02:29 PM.

Comment

We have a wireless radio fence. Can't get much easier than no installation other than plugging it in, checking it's boundaries, adjusting the distance for your property and putting the collar on the dog. Oh yeah, you do need to train him to it. It has different settings for distance and for strength. Because it is wireless it is also portable. I think we paid aroung $250 for ours. Just google wireless dog fence and it should come up. I think ours is a pet safe model. We love ours (and so does our dog since it means he gets off leash time.)

Comment

we've just installed our Petsafe wireless fence and I am not impressed. The original kit cost $225 and the extra collar for the second dog was $125.

Firstly, it only comes with 500 feet of wire, even though the kit we bought says"on the box 'Good for up to 2000 feet'. So we searched everywhere in town for more wire- we needed 1600 feet. The pet store where we bought the fence didn't have it and won't order it in. The local electrical suppliers wanted about $300 for a minimum 1000 foot spool. So we called Petsafe's 1-800 # and waited on line for 20 minutes for them to answer. Oh sure, they'll send us the wire. That was in September, and neither the wire nor my refund has ever arrived. We finally got some different wire that a radio expert assures me will work even though its not the same type. Another $110. We set it up, its not working. Machine says the perimeter is not connected. So we walk the entire 1500 foot perimeter and can't find a break in the wire, so we call the radio expert, and he says check the connection. Well, we'd used the marretts supplied in the box, and they apparently are not the correct ones, and the failure is due to moisture getting in the marrett or something. The electrical supply store sells me weatherproof marretts- they are $25 for the smallest box, which contains 25 of them, when I need 3. sigh. Get the perimeter up, functional. Test the collars- working ( *zap*- works on me fine) and commence training the dogs. Well, no, the collars are too small, even though we bought the largest size available. Spend another day tracking down two cheap nylon collars that do fit and attaching the shock units to them. ( $20) Commence training the dogsyesterday. So far they don't get it, and try to run away from me when the shock zaps them- which means they run OVER the fenceline and can't get back until I remove the collar... Le Large Sigh. I really hope this eventually works. It was July when we bought the unit and now its February, we're out nearly $600, and still tethering the poor dears.
        "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Before I buy anything for my animals, I try it myself.
          My unruly and strong Golden was pulling me around by a leash, so I tried one of those metal prong colars. Wrapped it around my bare forearm and squeezed. Felt it, but it didn't hurt. Purchased & love it.

Try one of those electric shock collars on your arm. I did, and decided not to buy it.

Comment

Invisible Fence

I have invisible fence and it works great for my JRT that races the cars across the front lawn. He does respect it but it took some training. I highly recommend the training that Invisible Fence does because they will adjust it accordingly. I have had it for almost two years and don't have any complaints and I have four dogs on it.

Comment

I have Petsafe

I have the underground wire. I have four JRT's, three Minpins and a chihuahua. They all respect the fence. I love it. I've had it for 2.5 years.
              M

Comment

A good fence does two things: it keeps something in and keeps everything else out.

Wireless fences keep something in (sometimes) but let everything else in always. As such they fail from the get-go.

Get a real fence appropriate for your use. You'll be glad you did.

G.
                Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

A groundhog, maybe?

I'm sorry, I read your thread title, and thought to myself, "Who has underground pets?"

It is a funny visual....
                  I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                  I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

We've had the wireless fence for two years. Have the remote thingy plugged in at the corner of the house in the front bedroom. I put out the flags, took the dogs one by one on a leash with the set collar in my hand when we first got the set-up so they'd know the perimeters. We have a JRT and a Australian Cattle Dog mix and both respect it. The JRT will freeze if she goes a little too far and the collar starts to beep.
                    The ACD mix doesn't wear the collar anymore because all he wants to do is be in with us. Can't convince him to leave the property . The dog(s) learn their boundaries and even if they don't have the collars on they will stop at the "edge". We do get critters in the yard at night but we've never had the JRT leave the property with the collar on. We are not near a busy road so don't know if she would blast through the perimeters after a car.
                    Having the wireless sure beats burying wire. I think we paid $350 a couple years ago and at least $100 for the second collar. Expensive but worth it.

Comment

Get a real fence appropriate for your use.
                      uh yeah, sure.
                      dog proof fence for 3 1/2 acres that has already been really fenced for horses.

I am still hoping the wireless will eventually work. Or it means back to kenneling and I am sure the dogs would prefer to be able to roam a little more freely.

Tiki- the shock I got from putting the collar in my bare wet hand, was no worse than the electric fence for my horses.
                      "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Originally posted by threemares View Post
                        I have invisible fence and it works great for my JRT that races the cars across the front lawn. He does respect it but it took some training. I highly recommend the training that Invisible Fence does because they will adjust it accordingly. I have had it for almost two years and don't have any complaints and I have four dogs on it.
                        I have used this product for about 10 plus years now. Works great !!

I have about 4 acres of my 20 plus acres fenced with Invisible Fence. Would be impossible to keep my 2 Aussies away from areas that they don't belong without it (other than putting them in a kennel). They love running around, they have never gone through the fences, and they cannot chase or get injured by one of the horses.

Love it
                        Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
                        Website
                        and Facebook page
                        Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
                        Website and Facebook page

Comment

Invisible Fence!! We had it for maybe 18 or more years and it works great!
                          \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lori B View Post
                            I'm sorry, I read your thread title, and thought to myself, "Who has underground pets?"
                            Thanks Lori, I spewed on my keyboard with your post! I guess the moles that joyfully tunnel under my lawn don't count as "pets" or I would raise my hand to your question.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have some good info, tips and ideas to go on!
                            Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                            http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

My neighbor has the Invisible Fence. Her Heeler dog has figured out that the shock only lasts a couple of seconds and he seems willing to put up with that discomfort to get where he's going. Interestingly enough, he won't cross over it to get back on the property! I can't figure out if he's really really stupid or smart as hell.

Comment

I had the Dog Guard brand installed. It works quite nicely. No, it does not keep out the neighbor's 2 dogs, who take a dump on my farm daily, and then continue their way onto a large portion of the county and they have Invisible Fence collars on. The neighbor doesn't seem to care that the dogs leave. It bothers all the other people though.

I spent $1900 to have about 12 acres fenced. It works very well for 2 of the dogs, even if they are not wearing the collars, the third, I take his off so he can go visit the neighbor's corgis (they have dog guard too) and so if his batteries are dead, he'll just go on over. The other two will not leave unless in a car.

Comment

Working...
                                X