• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do your farm dogs GO to the vet, or get farm calls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your farm dogs GO to the vet, or get farm calls?

pretty pathetic when you spin off your own thread... but...

My dogs get routine care from the horse vet during farm calls, or they tag along to the track for a trailer-in. He briefly checks their eyes, ears, teeth... jabs them, and we're good. I do the vax for horses and dogs that aren't required to be by the vet. I worked at a kennel owned by a vet for a couple years, and learned many vet procedures when working/living on a 4,250 acre working cattle, horse, sheep (& dude) Ranch.

But otherwise... they only go to the office for emergencies or surgery, which <knocking wood madly> are few and far between. That's how farm dogs have always been in my life... do others do it this way still?

I have to say, my vet doesn't require that he gives the annual vaccines to my horses either... he's more than happy to hand ME the shots to give, and even makes me do stuff a lot of times without him actually coming out. ("Oh, you can do that... just do a, b & c..." ) He often meets me somewhere during the day so I don't have to travel 90 mi to the office, and gives me Rx or supplies too... maybe it's just a weird relationship...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

We have the farm vet do the routine dog care. In case of a real emergency, I think he would send us to an emergency clinic. Having the farm vet do the dog care is wonderful. Many years ago, I used to have to drag two 90 lb retrievers into the vet's office. One would show his anxiety by growling at every dog in the waiting room. The other would play dead and make me drag her into the office. When my older daughter was a baby, I had her in the front carrier when we went to the vet's office. The male dog was snarling and leaping out at every male dog in the waiting room while I was using all of my strength to try to drag the limp female retriever. I was afraid I was going to drop my daughter out of the front carrier or fall and land on top of her. That was when I decided that we were going to have our routine vet work done at home.

Comment

The mountain comes to Mohammad.
      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

My dogs get rabies shots when the vet is at the farm for a horse visit. All other shots I give them. New litters of Corgi pups go to the vet for tails and dewclaws, but other than that they only go to the vet's office for emergencies, spay/neuter or other problems that I can't resolve myself.

My horse vet will, and has, told me to just come by the office to get meds rather than making a farm call. My small animal vet is cool about letting me buy things like Otomax without seeing the dog, and also drugs like Banamine/SMZs/Bute just to have on hand.

Comment

No dogs here at 2 Dogs, but my vet gives me a 10% "multiple pet discount" when barncat gets her Spring rabies shot & tapeworm meds.
          This counts if it's a farm call or if I bring them all to the clinic.
          I <3 my vet
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I have the same relationship with my vet and boy am I going to miss her when we move!!!

We often meet at mid point in a parking lot to exchange Rx, needles, etc. (I have a diabetic cat too) and samples of all sorts, including manure!

The last time, she even did the first checkup on our new puppy in a parking lot!

We have a great great relationship and I really appreciate having her confidence to handle all sorts of manageable health issues. It saves me a bundle of $$$ too and being that my life-long dream was to be a vet, I really enjoy participating in everyting.
            www.EquusMagnificus.ca
            Breeding & Sales
            Facebook | YouTube

Comment

In the past the large animal vet was strictly a large animal vet and would not do small animals/dogs and cats got packed up....but the new vet has a mixed practice so I bet I can get him to do both!!
              Providence Farm
              http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

It sounds great for routine shots, but the dogs still need a heartworm check (annually here in Georgia, but don't know where you live) in addition to an annual exam. The OP says her vet does listen to their heart and gives them a physical annually? I guess he gives them rabies shots and you get a rabies certificate and tag? What about spay and neuter procedures?

I know people don't want to spend gobs if they don't have to, but I do recommend toting them to the vet clinic for routine bloodwork such as HW check, then a weight check, and fecal test. I do routine bloodwork at certain ages for my dogs as baseline values as well. What if there is an emergency? Is there a pet ER? Otherwise, your closest clinic may not take you in after hours if you are not a regular client.

I have show dogs and they seem to never go more than 6 months without having to go to the vet for something!

Comment

Many, many years ago, out vet came to tend to the horses and stopped by the house to look at the dogs and cats, visit with Grandma and eat lunch.
                  I think that eating lunch was the real reason.

Once a year, we would shut all barn cats in the tackroom and he would give them their shots.

Today, small animals go to the small animal vets, we haul our horses to our large animal vets.

When my little dog was snakebitten a year ago, her vet called at 9.30 that night to ask if she was stable.
                  She was not quite, I was about to take her to the emergency clinic, where that vet also works some days, local vets rotate there to keep that clinic staffed.

That vet came over with some supplies and we live out of town and at 10 pm we were giving her medication and more fluids.
                  That good vet left at 10.30 and on top of that got stopped for driving too fast, as she was driving home, 45 minutes away.

There is no way you can thank a good vet enough for what they do for your animals.
                  I always wonder about those that have to gripe about every little perceived oversight from their vets.

I guess that some times we don't realize all they do for our animals, forgotten when things may not suit us.

I would say that, if like us, we had vets here regularly, with a broodmare and race training operation and at least 75 horses here, that the vet treated the dogs and cats right here was handy.
                  Now that we only have a few older horses and we need a vet rarely and many vets are more specialized, we "haul" horses and dogs to the vets.

Comment

Both. Our small animal vet is an old, old friend of the boss, and she either comes to the farm when I need her (she's here a lot right now, since her son is riding one of our horses), or I stop by her house with what ever critter needs care. It was FANTASTIC with my old dog, who was a "muzzle" dog prior to this. When this ve would visit her, it was way less stressful. Stella could care less, but it is great for the cats...if I don't have to pack them up and haul them off just for shots, it makes a big difference.
                    Amanda

Comment

Our vet does the dogs & cats whilst out doing our horses. They schedule all vaccinations all the way around for spring, when they also pull coggins, etc. If anyone is new, and therefore needs spayed or neutered, then they go into the office.

Love it being done this way, much nicer for all of us. Our vet clinic back home in WA State also did it this way, said it was easier for the people and the pets.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
                      "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Comment

Farm vets are so scare around here, I was lucky to find a vet for Dumplin' let alone one that will take care of the brood!
                        I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

We did have the horse vet give our semi-feral barn cats their shots, as they were NOT going to be stuck in carriers for an office visit. It was a real ordeal for them to be spayed/neutered but after that they were corraled somewhere annually for their shots.

Comment

I think I'm going to try and get the horse vet to vaccinate the barn cat instead of taking her into the small animal clinic when she's due. I think she'd be happier, I'd be happier and I wouldn't have to spend half a day getting her and taking her (office is a ways from the barn). If not, back to small animal hospital.

A week ago the horse vet did put down an old farm dog. I was so grateful for that, as he was able to pass away at home, quietly, without stress of trying to get the big dog into the car (he was pretty painful in his joints/legs) and his owner wanted to bury him at the farm, too.

Comment

Working...
                            X