• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Planning for new horse property - GATE WIDTHs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for new horse property - GATE WIDTHs

We are about to close on our new little horse ranch! It's a blank slate right now (just has perimeter pasture fencing and a nice big tack shed/feed room)

Anyways - in planning for everything, I'm a big stickler on making sure that heavy equipment can get in and out and around all over the place.

So for gate size - which is ideal? I know 12 foot is common/popular, but do you wish you had more 16 ft gates?

I'm imagining having a large access/gate to get into: pasture, arena, paddock, stable-yard, etc with tractors/trucks, etc.

Anyone put a 12 footer in and wish it was bigger? Or is 16 ft overkill for these areas?

Of course, there will be a "regular size gate" too....so we don't alway have to open the big one. Just making sure we aren't limited with any large/heavy equipment/vehicles that may need to get somewhere on the property.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

We have two 14-foot gates (one to the paddock, one to the arena) and like the extra length, especially the entrance to our paddock/barnyard which is not a straight shot (a slightly curvy driveway) so the 14 foot gate easily accomodates a truck with large trailer coming around the curve. I don't think 12' would be large enough without being a lot more precise in the driving.

At the entrance to our pasture from the main road we have two 10-foot gates connected together. Our fencing still needs replacing there, so we haven't finished this gate, but when we do I think we will put in at least a 16' gate because anything smaller will be very difficult as the main road is narrow. When we had our arena built the trucks delivering materials could back into the 20' opening from the main road but I know they never would have been able to make it with a 14' gate. In fact, at one point the contractor had to refuse a truck, even with a 20' opening, because it had an extra long hauling trailer filled with materials and could not make the turn. When we finish this section of fencing we may stick with a 20' opening and either get two gates or one really long one.

So....I doubt you will ever think 16' is overkill unless you have to open/close it frequently for people or horse traffic; but if you have to back a horse trailer through it, you might appreciate the extra width. I put in a person gate for me to go through to get to the barn. It opens "in" and is only 3' wide. Even if I left it open, it would likely swing shut, and a horse would really have to work to escape without slamming the gate shut in front of them. It's my favorite thing so I don't have "gate panic" at 3am!

Comment

Standard field gates here are 16'.
      In some places we have two 16' gates.

Our pens are 14' wide, so that is what the gates there are.
      12' would be very small for here and the miminum for cattleguards.

Comment

Have at least one 16' gate to each pasture or riding arena so that you can get heavy equipment in there if needed. 16' is not too cumbersome for everyday use (turning out horses, etc.) Also spend the extra money on 2" diameter tubular metal gates rather than the lighter-duty ones. Well worth the money for the extra durability.
        http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Comment

If you think you'll ever need to have your fields sprayed for weeds or anything like that, go with 16' gates. I don't have them on my small paddock and the farm bureau can't get in with the 2,4-D, which is a huge bummer because it means I'm out there with a hand sprayer busting my butt for 2 hours over 2 acres while they do the big field (with a big gate) in 10 minutes.
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

I went with 16' gates. I figure that you never know what you'll want to get into a field, and gate posts are huge and concreted in - you don't ever want to remove one. I am happy that I have nice, big openings.

One thing though: when you buy a 16' gate, it won't be 16'. Depending on the vendor, it will be 15'6" or 15'9" or some other measurement. Thus, if you stack two 8' gates (which is what I did), you might have two 7'6" gates and thus have only 15' of gate for your opening. So, buy your gates first, then plan your opening.
            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

DW is right about the 16' gate situations. And, you'll have to go wider if the truck can't get a straight shot through the gate.

If the biggest gate is also your main person pass-through area, make sure you create some sort of people gate right there as well so you don't have to be opening the big gate all the time.

My biggest gate is 16', then also a 14', both of which are THE 2 gates into the pasture area, opposite sides. I have 1 permanent cross-fence which is 12'. I think my ring gate is also 12'.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks...

as usual - bigger is better

I keep telling my SO that we'll need 16 foot gates for easy access with the "big stuff" I even like the idea of putting two 10 footers together to make a 20 foot opening for the areas where there is a bit of an angle to deal with.

And yes, love the idea of a "people gate" for easy in/out. And the regular horse sized gate, too.

But yes - I'm thinking ahead for if/when we need the biggest kind of equipment to get into our backyard, the paddock, the pastures and the arena.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
                www.elainehickman.com
                **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

I should clarify--I have two 8-foot gates to my big pasture, not a single 16 footer. Much easier for day-to-day opening/shutting. I just use one gate routinely, and keep the other one fastened to the ground with blocks, which I can move if needed.
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

We put a separate driveway in for our barn, when we bought this place. It has 32' of culvert, and two 16' gates that meet in the middle. We had eighteen wheelers come in to deliver building materials, and they were able to turn off of our rather narrow street with absolutely no problem. I thought the 32' culvert was overkill at the time, but my husband insisted. I'm delighted that he did. He did, after all, own his own trucking firm for more than a few years, and has logged over a million miles on the road himself.
                    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                    A life lived by example, done too soon.
                    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Do consider a gate wheel or gate anchor for gates larger than 12' though...they help a whole lot to prevent gate sag. I have anchors on my 12' gates so when I swing them open and need them to stay open I can lower the push-pin on the anchor so it stabilizes the gate to keep it from stressing the hinges and so I don't have to drive through it at Mach 2 to prevent it from swinging shut on my truck, LOL!
                      Really wide gates I prefer the big gate wheels, although I'm not sure where you can buy those these days. Back when I was young we had 16' gates in the fields where I boarded and they all had one tall metal wheel on one end. You'd unlatch the gate and just push it and it would roll open and the wheel kept it from sagging too.
                      You jump in the saddle,
                      Hold onto the bridle!
                      Jump in the line!
                      ...Belefonte

Comment

Valley Vet carries the gate wheels-be sure to get the metal kind-they are much sturdier!
                        Misty Blue-flying thru the gate before it slams shut on your truck-mental image priceless!!
                        http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

I don't think that the width of a gate makes any difference for every day use.
                          We have 16' gates we use regularly and you only open them as much or little as you need to open them.
                          I can't see any need to add a smaller gate nearby.

Comment

I'm with Bluey

Every gate is 16 foot. If one gets busted we know exactly what to do .......... go to the fence parts area and get another. They are all exactly alike.

sixteen foot is also big enough to tie two pastures or paddocks together as they can span the lane and create a passage between the two. Just make the openings directly opposite eachother and hang the gates from opposite sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                              I don't think that the width of a gate makes any difference for every day use.
                              We have 16' gates we use regularly and you only open them as much or little as you need to open them.
                              I can't see any need to add a smaller gate nearby.
                              I supposed I'm a bit jaded as none of my gates are on flat ground, they are all on slopes. So, wheels don't work in more than one position. I do keep the latch ends of the big gates propped up on blocks to the hinge side isn't stressed. It's too annoying to have to lift the gate off, open it, put it back on, every time I want to go through. I actually have electric tape, so I just duck between strands. I couldn't do that as easily if it was a wooden fence.

So, it's really more than about *just* the gate.

Comment

I have 12' gates at the main fields, which are fortunately all "straight shots", if they were not I would REALLY regret not having 16' gates. At the front entrance we have two 16' gates which is essential as the fence is close to our very, very narrow road, with a significant slope at the edge, so to get in just with a 4 horse trailer means both 16' gates have to be wide open (you can't swing wide or the tailgate will lift up into the gooseneck, know what I mean?). These have been awesome for having tractor trailer loads of stuff delivered.

Jennifer
                                Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I also have a 12' gate with a 4' gate right next to it.... lot less wear and tear on the posts having 4' of free weight as opposed to 12'.... and the 4' opens/swings more easily.... so we use the 4' gate and never open the 12'. It's only there for the Hay Guys....

Jennifer
                                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I have what Third Charm has and it's very nice. You almost never "over gate" on a farm so go for 16' in some form.

Enjoy your new farm!!

Comment

Yes, I definatly like fences set up with a large gate for machinary and a 4' gate for people and animals. Makes life so much easier!

Comment

Plan your traffic patterns, then put in gates that permit ease of use by equipment.

For straight entry into a flat pasture a 12 foot gate is adequate for virtually every type of equipment an average horse farm would routinely use.

For larger openings I'd rather use two 8's than one 16 in most instances, as I'm much more likely to be moving a horse or a vehicle than a large piece of equipement through most of the year. Consider, too, that 8's are a lot cheaper to replace when (not if) they get damaged.

There's no rule that says gates have to be equal. If you need a 20 foot opening it's perfectly OK to use a 12 and an 8. You could even use a 16 and a 4!!!

There's no rule that you can only have one gate into a pasture, either!

Put gates where they will be the most utilitarian, not necessarily the most pleasing to the eye.

But PLAN your layout and fencing first, then decide what kind of gates to use.

Good luck in your project.

G.
                                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Working...
                                        X