• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cesar Millan an equine guru??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cesar Millan an equine guru??

Horses and dogs seem to go together. I'm sure many of you have watched the "Dog Whisperer". Have you all made a similar connection to Cesar Millan's canine philosophy and horses? I am sure Cesar Millan could make a mint in the horse industry if he wanted to. I am probably not the only horse person to make the connection between his canine training and our equine training methods. Certainly, dogs are predators and horses are prey, but the training methods regarding the animal psyche are connected. The common theme lies in being aware of your surroundings and having the timing to be able to make a correction at the first signs of distraction and then LET GO! so that the animal has the chance to understand the correction. Being a "calm and asserive pack leader" has credibility in the equine world as well as the canine world. I could go on, but I am more interested in all of your thoughts.
    "Pigs and horses are mortal enemies." K. Perkins

I only get the chance to watch the show sporadically (no cable in my house)... but I really like what I do get to see. I actually remember one episode where the dog owner was a horse person. He was able to connect with the owner the similarities in training techniques. It was very cool to watch.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this! I'm a big fan of Cesar and always think about this too.

Comment

I thought I heard/read at some point that he and Parelli were going to do a show together... they were looking for dogs and horses that had problems with each other. Agressive towards each other and such...

I am a huge fan of Cesar.
        We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
        www.dleestudio.com

Comment

I love Cesar, I think he does a fantastic job with dogs, and I think he could do a fantastic job with horses. It seems to me that if you have determined how to be the alpha with a species like a dog (who can obviously be strong, aggressive, and very ADD) you can transfer it to many different animals. It would be very interesting to watch him work with a horse.
          It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Comment

I like the fact that he's no-nonsense and is quite blunt about placing the blame where it belongs: directly on the owners.

Comment

There is a definite parallel!

I too love Cesar (watch his show whenever possible, and strongly urge my "dog clients" to watch him; I'm an obedience trainer with PetsMart.) His points are very logical, and his philosophy extremely useful for training herd and pack mammals, period! (I actually find that I *instinctively* do a lot of what he does with the dogs, as well as with the people in my dog classes. And it echoes what I do with my own horse *and* my student's horses--though my training does tend to be much more "reward based", and I use praise more than he does, on the whole...)

It really is all about being the "leader" (of the pack/herd), and Cesar is right: 99.9% of the time, the owners/trainers/"pet parents" are to blame for their animals' behavior issues.

(It's great when the people "get it" though, finally. Very gratifying to see, and I especially love it because the animal is always the one who benefits the most. )
              "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Cesar is what the Buddhists call a Bodisatva, one who dies and returns to earth to just do good deeds. His philosophy can be applied to almost anything. We hardly miss a show
                RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

guru?

Everytime I watch his show I see him using excessive force to "train." I personally don't believe that kicking a dog in the head repeatedly to get it's attention is necessary. Positive reinforcement goes a long way to train dogs and horses. Let the flaming begin...

Comment

I think he does fabulous work HOWEVER I have 2 points of contention.

1. is the show format. I KNOW there are people out the who watch the show and then try it on their or someone else's dog. It just a normal end result. But many of the dogs featured and the reform process to 'fix' these issues are actual complex. It requires people to know what the heck they are doing. For example: Betty Sue has a mutt. Mutt has an aggression problem. Betty watches the show and catches an episode of a dog with a similar issue. Betty thinks she can do that with her dog. So she gives it a whirl but because the show was not specific enough on dealing with said issue and there may have been other factors that show editors clipped out in order to pack said episode in 30 minutes, Betty ends up stressing the dog out and making issues worse. So if Cesar wants to HELP dog owners, he needs to be a wee bit more specific. Turn the show into a 'clinic'/lesson. Oh and we all don't have dog helpers so what's a person to do then.

2. If the dog is screwed up (mentally, training, whatever) there is a point of no return. Sometimes it's just better to put the dog down. Why? Because not all dogs are in perfect world situations. This pertains to aggressive biting dogs. I saw a show where two rotties were getting to the aggressive biting stage. Well you can put those 2 dogs into the perfect training world but still- if the owner loses control (environment situation) or maybe has to give up dogs and they end up in another inexperienced owner situation- agression IS going to return. This is a no win situation for the dogs or the poor adult or god forbid child who is inevitably going to be near the dogs at the wrong time. So Cesar gives these folks a false sense of hope for some desperate owners where the best idea- although saddest idea- should be to just put the aggressive dogs to sleep.

The only correlation I see between dog training and horse training is: that both species can be and need to be trained and that voice training is beneficial. Not seeing much correlation between methods though. I mean you could I guess use treats to train you horse but I wouldn't. Nor would I lunge my dog- lol.

Comment

We love to watch the show, but it usually results in our Westie barking at the TV! Maybe we need Cesar to help us with barking so we can watch his show!

Comment

Originally posted by maxdog View Post
                        Everytime I watch his show I see him using excessive force to "train." I personally don't believe that kicking a dog in the head repeatedly to get it's attention is necessary. Positive reinforcement goes a long way to train dogs and horses. Let the flaming begin...
                        Um, I must have missed that episode because I have NEVER seen him kick a dog in the head. Can you please cite which episode/dog that was. I would like to see it before I can make any comment.

Comment

I have heard this criticism of Cesar before and resolved to be mindful of it when watching the shows, which we do quite frequently at our house. I have never seen him "kick" a dog in the head. I have seen him use his heel to briefly touch/poke at the back end of a dog (usually a dog who has more severe aggression or dominance issues) while walking the dog in order to get its attention diverted from whatever stimulus was making it ramp up. If this is what you are describing, then using the phrase "repeatedly kicking a dog in the head" does not fairly describe what he's doing.

As to people trying his methods at home without expert supervision, each show has multiple warnings about NOT trying this at home without the guidance of a professional. No matter how many times you warn some people, they will go ahead and try it anyway because of their own hubris or disregard (think of cautions to not let kids operate 4-wheelers, etc. and all the other warnings we see in our daily lives) sometimes with an adverse outcome. Can't really tag Cesar or his show with responsibility for that when they are doing what they reasonably can to educate people about the risks of trying out the methods without the assistance of a dog training professional.

Just my 2 cents.
                          Last edited by It'sintheMomBag; Jan. 17, 2009, 09:56 AM. Reason: Obsessive proofreader

Comment

We rarely miss a show and I have yet to see this. Tapping a dog with a foot to get his attention is very different from "kicking a dog in the head repeatedly" There is no flaming involved, you must be watching a different show.
                            RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

Many people don't like Cesar since he puts affection down the list from exercise and discipline. We all know dogs that can use a lot more exercise to contain their exhuberance and thus their poor behavior!
                              Dogs are pack animals that respect the pack leader and horses are herd animals that respect the herd leader so we need to maintain the role with both animals in order to acheive our goals with them.
                              I have also heard him say that some dogs cannot be rehabilitated and should be put down and he has in his own pack, dogs that are not suitable to going back to thier owners so he has kept them. He ahs the skills and patience to keep those dogs under control and out of trouble, not all of us could do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by copper1 View Post
                                Many people don't like Cesar since he puts affection down the list from exercise and discipline. We all know dogs that can use a lot more exercise to contain their exhuberance and thus their poor behavior!
                                Dogs are pack animals that respect the pack leader and horses are herd animals that respect the herd leader so we need to maintain the role with both animals in order to acheive our goals with them.
                                I have also heard him say that some dogs cannot be rehabilitated and should be put down and he has in his own pack, dogs that are not suitable to going back to thier owners so he has kept them. He ahs the skills and patience to keep those dogs under control and out of trouble, not all of us could do the same.

I agree. I think the thing he is most opposed to is irresponsible owners that put down "problem dogs". My current Rottie is just 2....I got her at 10 weeks old when her "owners" decided to put her down since they wanted a Shitzu instead of a Rottie.

There is a beagle puppy (about 10 weeks old) looking for a home whose owners abandoned him at doggie daycare because they decided they wanted a bigger dog.

People buy a large active strong breed who have NEVER had a dog....or worse, rescue such a dog without the skills to take on such a rescue (who is going to be tougher)...and then are surprised when the dog starts having issues. Or a little fufu dog that never has had anysort of training....and are surprised when little fufu picks fights with bigger dogs getting little fufu hurt.

He isn't afraid to tell people they are the problem.....taking on a dog they shouldn't have, not doing what a responsible dog owner should do. Positive reinforcement is good...but it doesn't work for all dogs and all issues. I watch that show....and am shocked by some of the absolute lack of common sense that some people have.
                                ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Here comes another flame-worthy comment:

The GOOD natural horsemanship people, meaning the ones who are not nutballs or exploitative greedy jerks, generally follow the same principles that Cesar follows: understand how the animal is hard-wired, understand how that particular species structures itself and keeps order in the wild, and then use it for the good of the animal. And to Cesar Milan's credit, he openly admits that that's all he's doing and that it takes extensive training *in the presence of a professional* before it can be safely replicated by an amateur and that it doesn't require any kind of special gadget. If only all of our NH practitioners operated that way.

However, Cesar also openly acknowledges that horses and dogs are different. Yes, they share the desire for a calm and assertive pack leader, but the way that pack leader responds to an unbalanced subordinate is not the same. Cesar, who grew up around horses, has alluded to this on the show.
                                  Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

jn4jenny - would just say that the GOOD nh people are just good horsemen to begin with. Good horsemen have always worked with the horse and shaped it from the horse's own inclinations. Good horsemanship solves 90% of the problem; the remaining 10% might indeed benefit from the advice of a good nh, or some sort of specialist. You don't need fancy hoola hoops and lead ropes; you also have to realistic about what you want from the horse --is it a fantasy to make up for the loneliness in your life (which we all suffer from in greater/lesser degrees) or are you acting in the best interests of the animal, with its natural limitations and talents?

I love watching Cesar b/c it's nice to see a realistic approach to animals, and it underscores the realistic relationship you have to have with them -- vs. treating them like a stuffed toy...

And agree with Super STB -- a little printed disclaimer at the bottom of the TV screen doesn't offset the ellipses of the show. Like, how much repetition -- like, a ton of it, people!! -- is needed to replace an ingrained behavior; like using sharp! jerks on the leash to get the attn; making the animal somewhat fatigued for compliance. Not against any of this, but these are tools for the expert who know how much is the right amount. Not tools for someone who's style is to be sweet on their pet... And, at the end of the day, how much the person needs to be disciplined with themselves to make the dog a success.

Comment

What always cracks me up is a certain dog food ad they run, often during his show. It shows a woman with a golden retriever that jumps up on her to the point of knocking her off balance and runs rampant like a wild thing, while she says something along the lines of "oh, my sweet doggie - it's the special dog food that gives him this wonderful energy..."

Comment

Cyberbay and Jn4Jenny -- great posts. Very well said.

Comment

Working...
                                        X