• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Farm layout - Is this ridiculous? (long!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm layout - Is this ridiculous? (long!)

I'd like to get some input from those of you who may have learned the hard way how NOT to design a farm I've seen the designs of quite a few farms and can pick out what I like and don't like, but who knew it would be so hard to start from scratch!

Ok just for reference purposes (so you'll know what the heck I'm talking about!) here is a map of the area in question.

Some background info:
    Planning to build a house on parcel #1. The actual lot is probably 1 acre and the house will be in the upper left hand corner of the lot where the old existing structure is pictured.

Parcel #2: Approx. 3 acres of high flat land. Everything to the left of that is very low - not suitable for building or pastureland.

Parcel #3, 4, and 5: Approx. 2.5, 6, and 7 acres respectively. All well drained, flat land suitable for building or pasture land.

The blue dotted line indicates property lines of tracts of land we control. The road dividing parcels 1&2 from 3&4 is a very narrow, rarely traveled 2 lane road. This area is NOT heavily populated and we're a minimum of 2 miles from any major highway at this point - avoiding traffic (of any sort) on this road is of very little concern.

My question to you: Assuming you'll have 3-4 horses max to deal with, where would you build your barn while maximizing your pasture space and minimizing work load?? Keep in mind that all of this land is actively farmed and any unused land will still be kept in production (i.e. don't make it a nightmare for those tending the land!)

All suggestions appreciated!!!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Two questions:

1. How busy is that road? Never mind - I reread for comprehension - rarely traveled. That helps.

2. The prevailing wind blows from what direction?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

• Original Poster

Winds are generally from the southwest for most of the year. And yes, very little traffic. I could probably nap on the yellow line and not lose my life.
      "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Comment

I'd put the barn on #2 or #3, as close to the house as feasible with doorways & stalls opening to the Northwest - away from prevailing winds.

If you put the barn on #2 you still have room for a good-sized pasture connected to it, depending on how large a barn you're planning. What is the land to the left of 2 used for now?

If you are attaching an indoor/outdoor to your barn then #3 may be the better option.
        From my limited experience (just built my own farm 5 years ago) the closer you can get pasture to barn the easier your life becomes.

If I had it to do over I'd put pasture in front of barn facing the house.
        You have to travel a bit farther to get to the barn but your view from the house is better: horses in pasture!

On second view of your map - since the road separates #3 from the house I'd pick #2 for the barn. Let 3,4 & 5 remain in crops. Maybe grow your own hay?

Most important is drainage - if #2 is lower than the house or #3 you may have problems. Have you seen the place after a heavy rain?
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I agree about locating the barn on 2, with run-outs between the barn and the house, and larger pasture behind the barn. All gates along the dividing line between 1 and 2 (for security reasons).

Do you plan on having an outdoor and/or indoor arena? Will you be storing hay? Will it be in the same barn as the horses?

Even though the land to the west of 2 is low, can it be built up for an arena? If so, then positioning your barn and doors towards that area should be considered.

Do you have breeding operation or riding horses? Area #5 would be a nice pasture - even though the trees are to the east and it's a ways from the house - but if you didn't need frequent access to some of the horses, that might be the least disruptive to the farming operation as I see in the mow/grow patterns of 3 and 4. If you were to use #5 as pasture, then placing the barn in #3 would be a good deal. BUT... then you have issue with electric; whereas using #2 MIGHT be easier for elec & water.

Another question - even though the "low" areas aren't good for pasture - are they okay for a few months 2 times a year? If so, they could be part of your rotational system.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

2dogs- To the left of #2 is in crop production (all of it is!) but is very low land. Doesn't drain well even with extensive ditching in the area. I wouldn't be able to use it for anything unless we were in a drought ha!

#2 and #3 are both high ground and do drain well... #3 possibly drains every so slightly better than #2 but there's not much difference.

gabz- I have two options for hay storage. One being in the barn (just in an empty stall - no loft) and the other being in an old barn on an adjacent piece of property. My hopes are to leave myself enough pasture room that I end up feeding very little hay. *fingers crossed!* I plan to have an outdoor somewhere on the farm also... but I'd rather give pastures the top priority for location. I have riding horses only... no breeding.

Good point about power/water. This would be no problem for #2 but we'd have to run both out to all of the other pastures which might be a bit of a headache. It'd be nice to have at least one of those for pastures though so I might have to end up doing it regardless.

Keep the ideas coming!!
            Last edited by SkipHiLad4me; Jan. 14, 2009, 06:33 PM. Reason: #2 isn't low!

Comment

i'd put it on site one, as close to the house as is logical, even attached it you get deep snow. down wind and downhill too. with a small barnyard/sacrifice area attached.

Comment

I'd put it on one also, maybe making a stable yard out of the structures to reduce wind/create a sheltered area, and taking advantage of your southern exposures for passive solar heating. With that public road you have a nice set up for a two ended driveway that big trucks can access. Looks as though it is in place already? If so try to work around it if it has a good base or is paved. Keeping all the structures close can reduce some construction costs.
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We had planned on building the house on #1 due to existing workshops that the hubby wants to use and quite a few mature trees that we don't really want to take down to make room for other structures. I'll definitely keep that in consideration though. There is a 2 ended driveway to the existing house so it's definitely convenient to come and go from there.

Comment

For your current horse needs, I would not build much of a barn, unless you expect those needs to grow.
                    A small structure with run in and a way to separate two or three of the horses, if you have some injured or that need extra care, works fine for me.
                    I have a lean to onto our main Quonset barn, half is a run in shed and half three stalls with runs, for the occassional horse or two that may have to be separated.

Seems that you will also just have a handful of horses and mostly on pasture, that is why I am suggesting this.
                    If you go that route, you may use a different approach to what and where to build.

When I was building here, the builder told me to take as long as I want to plan, because you can't ever plan enough and once building, it is much harder and costly to change your mind.

Neat that you have so many options and are thinking about all up front.

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=Bluey;3805914]When I was building here, the builder told me to take as long as I want to plan, because you can't ever plan enough and once building, it is much harder and costly to change your mind.
                      QUOTE]

You're so right! I guess that's why I'm kinda stressing out over it. Once they build it, it's done! So I'd better be darn sure that's how I want it before we build it Fortunately it's no rush, so I've got plenty of time to over-analyze every detail.

Comment

Plan on some type of a run in situation. Barn not too far from the house, mine is 75 ft I think and that works well.

I have thought if I had to do it again on different property I would put in a couple of box stalls and then have large standing stalls or feed stations with small outside paddocks attached.

My horses tend to spend way more time in the barn than I had anticipated and they make a mess of their box stalls. The only time I need them separated is when feeding but I like the option of putting the pony up every night. I use round pen panels to build small turn outs outside the stalls so it works but I probably spent more than I needed to.
                        No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

Planning well can be ever so helpful, but sometimes once you start working with what you have, you discover some drawbacks ... so if possible, try "walking" the patterns you will create with buildings and see how that works for you.

Use good perimeter fence and then something lesser to subdivide the pastures. Think about what kind of grass is growing in which fields and how tolerant to stress it will be to determine which months you'll use which area for pasture grazing.

Hot days, the horses will want shade and protection from the flies... think about where your manure pile will be too (prevailing winds).

If the road is not traveled much - you might be able to just run a good hose across the road to fill a water tank for summer/ spring months, then keep horses closer to the barn when the weather gets colder. Perhaps part hose and part pipe for the #3 or #4 for pasture.

I've always wanted a good barn with deep overhangs myself. But... I've got awonderful old bank barn. : )

Comment

• Original Poster

gabz - You're right. Everything looks one way on paper but not always the same in person! I really have a hard time visualizing things like this but I think if I get a rough idea of how to lay it out, walking the fields will really help. I'll be able to get a better feel of how far stuff is going to be from each other and how easy/hard that will make it on me.

Fortunately I have plenty of time to think it over! We have to sell a house first and who knows how long that will take Hopefully I'll have it all figured out by then though!

Comment

I would put the barn on #1 as close to the house as is feasible without cutting down any trees. Then have the pasture straddle #1 and #2, extending out through all of #2 (assuming it is good pastureland and you only have a couple horses, if you are planning that they get most of their food requirements off of it). I'd cut the pasture into at least 2 pieces and rotate it. I put the barn in #1 because this is a place you will likely be visiting at least two times a day no matter the weather, so being able to get to it with a minimum of stress is helpful. You also, theoretically will be able to hear better if there is a problem.

My barn is adjacent to my house, with the paddock paralleling the back of my house. My bedroom window is right off the paddock and I very much appreciate being able to hear what's happening. Sleeping through normal sounds is easy, but when there's a ruckus, I like being able to know it.

How fun to be planning your place!
                              Sandra

Comment

I think I would put barn on #3, mainly because it has greater access to pasture land. still close to the house for convenience. I'd probably save #2 for the ring.
                                I know turning out is easy if you just have to open a few gates and let them go. Alot easier than crossing a road, no matter how slow the traffic to turn out and at night bringing in etc. I'd go with #3.
                                http://community.webshots.com/user/summitspringsfarm

Comment

Originally posted by Summit Springs Farm View Post
                                  I think I would put barn on #3, mainly because it has greater access to pasture land. still close to the house for convenience. I'd probably save #2 for the ring.
                                  I know turning out is easy if you just have to open a few gates and let them go. Alot easier than crossing a road, no matter how slow the traffic to turn out and at night bringing in etc. I'd go with #3.
                                  This is what I was thinking too. I'd go with 3, putting the barn closish to the road, which will make getting trailers, deliveries etc. in and out easier, and closer to get to, and have horse related barn features face the pasture to the right. I'd never purposefully set my self up to cross roads for turnout every day, even with low traffic.

You can always fence 1, and add a run in there as future funds/time allow.

Comment

Think about who will take care of your horses if you want to go on vacation. Can they lead them somewhere for turnout and back again, or would just opening a gate be safer?
                                    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
                                    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Comment

Denny Emerson had an article in CoTH on farm layout just a couple of weeks ago in their special real estate issue. Had some very good points to think about when you're designing your farm.
                                      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by gabz View Post
                                        Planning well can be ever so helpful, but sometimes once you start working with what you have, you discover some drawbacks ... so if possible, try "walking" the patterns you will create with buildings and see how that works for you.

Think about what kind of grass is growing in which fields and how tolerant to stress it will be to determine which months you'll use which area for pasture grazing.

Hot days, the horses will want shade and protection from the flies... think about where your manure pile will be too (prevailing winds).

If the road is not traveled much - you might be able to just run a good hose across the road to fill a water tank for summer/ spring months, then keep horses closer to the barn when the weather gets colder. Perhaps part hose and part pipe for the #3 or #4 for pasture.
                                        You can't really plan EFFECTIVELY until you've spent some time on the property. Ideally, live there through a few seasons, THEN KNOW how things will WORK.

Comment

Working...
                                        X