• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Aging farm dog messing in the house - Anipryl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging farm dog messing in the house - Anipryl?

My big dog is 10.5 year old spayed shepherd mix female. The past few weeks she's become incontinent. She was recently treated for a bladder infection and did clear up with medication. Now, she's making messes in the house and drooping little piece of stool. I've found a few that look like she just couldn't hold em in. She's also not been able to make it through the night and made a big mess on the rug by the backdoor.

This is entirely out of character for her. She's always been VERY good about her potty manners, but is aging quickly. I was even thinking lately that I was hoping she would make it until the ground thaws. She's been going downhill fast enough for me to think about letting her go before disaster strikes. (A huge emotional burden for me because she's been my rock since I graduated college.)

Anyway, I was reading online and came across some articles about Anipryl for dogs and its treatment use for "old dog" syndrome, which includes loss of bowel control. I'm off to the vet tomorrow with another of the pets so I will ask the vet about it then, but wondered if anybody has tried Anipryl or has suggestions for the older dog that is going downhill.

(We also have an almost 1 year old crawling around and health issues aside for the dog it won't be good for the baby to be crawling along and find a poop nugget.) I really don't want to let my old girl go yet. She still wants to be here and I can tell she's bothered that she can't control herself so I'm looking for answers to buy us more time together.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Anipryl was originally thought to be a less expenisive alternative to Lysodren to treat Cushings in dogs...It did not work out that way, but it was noticed that some of the dogs that were somewhat "senile" improved in that area while on it...The dogs that it works on it tends to work well, it does not however work with all of them. You should also check your dog for spinal issues that effect the nerves that help control the spinchter muscle of the anus. Sometimes this can be helped with low dose steroids..I have such a dog now. lts true that steroids due have side effects, however this dog was just walking and pooping, so if the side effects of the steroids cut off six months off her life(she is 14 now) it is immaterial, because without the steroids she would have had to have been put to sleep as the pooping while walking and being totally unware of it was unacceptable to me and upsetting to her...Good luck and let us know what happens...

Comment

Proin

Proin.

It works. You can get a prescription and order it from petmeds. Then gradually adjust the dosage downward till you have a level that is effective.

edited to add: One of the side effects of Proin is constipation.
      Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Jan. 14, 2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I give Proin to one of mine but she only has bladder problems not bowel problems or both so I can't say how it would work for poo.
        "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

My Jack Russell was diagnosed with Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (I called it Dogsheimers because the symptoms are quite similar to Alzheimers in people) and was given Anipryl for that, which helped. I don't know about the bladder issues because Eddie's potty issues were related to his mental senility.

I hope you find a solution for both your dog's comfort and yours.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tradewind View Post
            Anipryl was originally thought to be a less expenisive alternative to Lysodren to treat Cushings in dogs...It did not work out that way, but it was noticed that some of the dogs that were somewhat "senile" improved in that area while on it...The dogs that it works on it tends to work well, it does not however work with all of them. You should also check your dog for spinal issues that effect the nerves that help control the spinchter muscle of the anus. Sometimes this can be helped with low dose steroids..I have such a dog now. lts true that steroids due have side effects, however this dog was just walking and pooping, so if the side effects of the steroids cut off six months off her life(she is 14 now) it is immaterial, because without the steroids she would have had to have been put to sleep as the pooping while walking and being totally unware of it was unacceptable to me and upsetting to her...Good luck and let us know what happens...
            I'll ask the vet about it tomorrow, but she is walking and not noticing poop is falling out? Hubby is not the animal science major in the family and confused and annoyed about why the big dog is suddenly pooping in the house. He doesn't get it and see she is again. (I hate to have to break it to him.)

This girl's a shepherd/lab mix (best I can guess) so if we lose some time because of steroid use that will be nothing to the alternative if she can't control her movements in the house. If I was still single it would be more managable, but with a hubby and crawling/walking baby it just can't be this way. I've been covering up for her as best as I can, but I can't let the baby find the nuggets on the floor.

Comment

I had an older aussie that last bladder control towards the end (not bowel though) that none of the drugs worked on. She would feel it on her legs and then freak because only then did she realize she had an accident. We got her doggie depends and although it was a pain in the *ss to change them twice a day did seem to make her happier. She lived another 9 months before she died of a stroke.

Comment

I'm going through this with the urine more so than the poop.(occasionally the poop too)I highly recommend dollar store pull up adult diapers,cheap and they work great. All you have to do is cut a tail hole in them and viola doggie diaper. I found that my dog likes them.She's a chow chow and she wears the mediums,yours probably needs the smalls unless she's chunky. Good luck,it's not easy is it? I have a 37 yr old horse and my old chow..........the thought of losing them both soon haunts me daily.

Comment

• Original Poster

Smalls? Ha ha. She's 124 lbs. I'll have to get her some depends for grown ladies. The diapers are an option. We'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

Comment

I have a 13yo female shepard lab mix, and she was diagnosed with "doggie dementia" earlier this year. Symptoms were some bladder incontinence but more obvious was that she started waking up in the middle of the night wandering around the house. Vet put her on Selegiline- the generic of Anipryl. The cost different is HUGE! She has to take 3 pills a day because of her size, they don't make Selegiline in more that 5mg tablets. We have seen great improvement in her- no more incontinence, no more night wandering. Vet did say medication works well for some and not at all for others. Good luck and I hope you find a solution- I have a soft spot for those shepard/lab mixes!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goingplaces View Post
                      I have a 13yo female shepard lab mix, and she was diagnosed with "doggie dementia" earlier this year. Symptoms were some bladder incontinence but more obvious was that she started waking up in the middle of the night wandering around the house. Vet put her on Selegiline- the generic of Anipryl. The cost different is HUGE! She has to take 3 pills a day because of her size, they don't make Selegiline in more that 5mg tablets. We have seen great improvement in her- no more incontinence, no more night wandering. Vet did say medication works well for some and not at all for others. Good luck and I hope you find a solution- I have a soft spot for those shepard/lab mixes!
                      Mine wanders at night too.

Comment

Is she actively having urinary accidents or is she incontinent (ie dripping/dribbling urine)? The dropping stool w/o knowing it, can point to a condition called Wobblers, this a neuro condition that deals with cervical vertebral malformation/malarticulation. Any ataxia, dragging of hind limb (look at her nails in the back, is one side more worn than the other?), neck pain?

Jingles for both of you!!
                        www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
                        Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
                        "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Comment

• Original Poster

No urine incontinence after the bladder infection cleared up. It's mostly the poo pellets and leaving big piles by the backdoor in the middle of the night. She has an awful time getting up and down off our hardwood floors. *sigh* I paid the horse vet all summer I guess I'll pay the small animal vet all winter. Ugh.

(Corgi boy had a scratch on his eye. Goes in for recheck tomorrow. Corgi girl is having some sort of skin attack and won't stop scratching and biting at her hind end. Big girl is having mobility and poo issues. *sigh* Oh, and mom has cancer for the 5th time (small cell lung cancer) and hubby's Grandmother just passed. It's been a great start to 2009.)

Comment

If she is painful in her back, it could be that she is filling up with stool b/c it is difficult to posture to have a BM, so then it just comes out..that is another avenue to look at.. A few things you can think about is changing her to a low residue food, it makes their stools smaller and less frequent, and easy clean up. More fiber will make her poop more, not something you are wanting.

Jingles for you and your critters!!
                            www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
                            Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
                            "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Comment

It has been mentioned that selegiline is the generic form of anipryl, which is true. Seligiline can be compounded from a compound company in many differenct strength, including higher than 5 mg.

Comment

I second hip/back problems. One of my shepherds started having bowel movements in the house at the age of 13 1/2. I realized that she could not "assume the position" for long enough time to fully evaculate her bowels. Then I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I saw her sitting down. Since she was already on Adequan and Rymadyl, I elected to euthanize her. She was obviously in more pain than she was letting on.

Comment

this might not be an option for the op but i had a single dog for many years and when she got old, the vet said she was senile, chalked up most of her problems to old age
                                  i got her a young dog, i think her friend kept her going another few years, the incontinence pretty much stopped, everytime he went out she wanted to go with him, she was more active and interested in life

Comment

• Original Poster

She has two younger corgis that keep her active. It has helped. She goes to see the vet Wednesday night.

Comment

In addition to Brydelle's comments, I would also recommend a rectal exam to see if she might either have sphincter control issues or any masses in her rectum.

As mentioned, back pain also high on the rule-out list. NSAIDs like Rimadyl can be lifesavers, but they do require liver function screening before starting them. Most of the problems with Rimadyl has occurred in Labradors, but there's no monopoly on it.

I had a dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. We put him on Anipryl at about 11 years and he made it to 16 1/2. He was pretty loopy at the end but still mean as the day is long (we used to call him "Uncle Junior" after the Sopranos). Improvement was subtle, but I sure could tell when we ran out and he went off of it (he was the only dog in our practice on it and I had to order it well in advance--which didn't always happen--bad Mom). I also put him on Hills' prescription food b/d, which is also designed for these dogs.
                                      Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

nother vote for back/spine problems. My older dog that had spinal arthritis, ended up having a hard time getting up/and would drop poop unknowingly. A pain reliever like and NSAID can help.

Let us know what the vet says.

Comment

Working...
                                        X