• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who the heck designs stalls with a water spigot INSIDE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the heck designs stalls with a water spigot INSIDE?

Do they not actually have horses?

After 4 complete shaving changes (and changes of horse in the stall to try to find one who WOULDN'T mess with the spigot, we ended up taking a hay rack and modifying it to fit over the spigot. My hand will fit through, but the knob is protected.

But what a design flaw - I'm sure it seemed quite convenient at the time, but we didn't have ONE horse that didn't figure out within a day how to turn on the fun new toy!

Mine would probably alternate between turning it on and slicing his leg on it. Of course, this is the horse who figured out how to turn on the one outside his stall at his first horse show. What a lovely new toy! Especially when he figured out to turn it on as people were walking by.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I think you can get handles for the spigots that are removable, so you put it on only when you need to turn the water on.

Oh, I just did a google search and found they make a water spigot "lock":

http://www.amazon.com/tag/spigot%20lock

maybe that would work for you?
      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Now that I have never heard! My horses would empty my well if I had that. Would love to know the reasoning for it. Convenience?--but not thinking past that!! Definitely designed by someone who doesn't know horses.

Comment

Well, how convenient.
          I would not have thought of that.
          Maybe next time we build a barn, we will do just that.

Seriously, we don't have water in the stalls, because we don't keep horses shut in there.
          They have 6' water tanks on covered floats between two pens.
          If a horse were to need rehab in a stall, we would use water buckets.

I would never again have horses stalled without an outside pen to wander on, although stalls and even standing stalls is where most horses were kept in Europe and they did fine, since we exercised them several times a day in lessons and trail rides.
          Still, if you have the room, don't keep them stalled unless absolutely necessary.
          Better for them and much less labor cleaning after them.

And, oh, I have never seen spigots IN stalls.
          That must be a very unique barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm sure that someone thought it would be tremendously convenient to not have to drag a hose over there - it's in the far corner of the barn farthest from the hose coupling. But honestly...

The hay rack seems to be working fine - the spigot is about eye level with me (not near the floor) so we just nestled the rack over it and the bottom part, where the bars are close together, covers it completely. I can reach through and down to turn it on, but the horse can't get his nose in there. Problem solved, but geez...

Comment

Maybe it was a wash stall that they turned into a regular stall. I've been at barns were they would always find room for one more horse. A wash stall would be easy to convert. Just a thought.
              "Looked bigger when I couldn't see him."~ Jayne Cobb

Comment

Some things that appear quite reasonable to a non-horsey builder make horse folks go NNOOOOO!!!!!!!

The guy who built my barn is a heck of a good welder and builder and did a great job. Except for the day I walked in to find one stall's exterior door with a brand new latch -- a teeny tiny one, installed on the INSIDE of the stall. Made sense to him - the latch went into the wall stud...you know, for structural soundness. YIKES! I told him that as much as I love my horses, I am neither going inside a barn stall in a fire, nor am I going into a stall should an animal become fractious or dangerous, in hopes of opening the exterior door from the inside. It was fixed forthwith, so no harm no foul.

Imagine what a great barn we could have if your water architect met my inside latch man!
                :-)
                "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Comment

My neighbor thought he was oh so helpful and the day I had my arm operated on came over and set the post for the shed extension into the ground and framed it.
                  What a neat surprise, he tought.
                  He had my plans and knew we were building a 14' extension, but didn't look at the plans carefully.
                  He knew we wanted the existing 14' gates to fit as they had.

Being a builder, but not a user of pens and gates, he thought 14' were OUTSIDE dimensions, so he set the 12" post where the 14' dimensions ended up 13' and didn't notice it.

We are the proud owners of 14' gates hung on the OUTSIDE of the 12' posts, leaving the aisle 13'.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1231946525

He still kicks himself over that and now waits for me before getting into any new project.

Comment

I have an elevated/gravity water system made of PVC that runs above my stalls and drops down in the corner of each stall with a spicket at the end. So I can have hot and cold water run to my stalls. Very handy in winter. I absolutely love it. For the guys that have figured out it's a nifty toy, we were able to put a 2/4 to block their access.
                    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                    <>< I.I.

Comment

Then there was the day my friend showed me her newly constructed/fixed up horse facility in her backyard. Houses in this area run down into a canyon so the horse facilities are generally on a slope and anything that needs to be on a flat (or is that level?) surface gets terraced. The new cross ties were her pride and joy, complete with tie posts set on the upright wall side and absolutely nothing to block the backside of the horse as it backed off the cross ties and down the slope of the canyon. They had thought it would be handy to have the wall at the horses' heads so they could put shelves and whatnot there. I did suggest that they put a fence behind where the horses would stand so they wouldn't roll down the hill.
                      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Ya know... I boarded at a place that had them, and I absolutely LOFFED it. But they did have the removable "key" to the spigot.

The advantages:

1 - You know how much water your horse consumes in the stall (which you don't, with auto-waterers) and

2 - You're not hauling heavy buckets.

If I ever built my own barn, I'd put them in, for sure!
                        "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

what a silly idea. horses will play with anything. I like the look of the posted spigot lock though. that is pretty neat.

I have never heard of a spigot inside the stall. at the barn I am at now we have to do it the old fashioned way and go around stall by stall with the hose.

at a barn I used to ride at though the stalls all had their own spigots outside or something. I can't remember what it looked like, but somehow they connected to the stall's inside, but the horses couldn't play with them.

Comment

There's a very nice boarding barn here that has them, but they're overhead with hoses that extend to the buckets. It's a refurbished dairy barn, so I think the waterlines were already in place.

Comment

In the 3 barns I ride/board at they all have spigots in the stalls. It save a huge amount of time becasue we don't have to drag hoses to water, there is not the concern of automatic waterer breaking and we can change/clean buckets for sick horses.

There are plenty of ways to make it so the horses don't mess or break the spigots. Over the last 5 years there has only been one case I can remember where a stall flooded because a horse broke the spigot. The other floods were becasue a person forgot to turn off the spigot after watering their horse.

Reed

Comment

It's really not a silly idea AT ALL, so long as the spigots are well-placed and do have either keys or removable handles so that the horses cannot get at them.

The ones at the barn I had were built into concrete walls so horsey could not possibly mess with it, and were positioned in a corner where horsey could not possibly get hurt on it.

I'd have them again in a heartbeat, I really would.

I've also seen individual spigots outside with short pieces of hose attached to them which reach into the bucket. This works too, but I didn't like it as well: you're constantly having to re-make the hose pieces b/c either someone leaves them up and they get chewed, or the hose just plain cracks/breaks w/ age and temperature. I got to be quite the pro at making them after a while...
                                "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Friends of mine had their barn built with a spigot over every stall and a hose piece in each that went down into the bucket. It was constructed so that the horses really couldn't get to it so it was never a problem and it was horribly convenient. The problem came when one of the pipes that ran from stall to stall burst. Whomever had built the barn had put the plumbing under the cement aisle - what a disaster. They had to have the entire barn aisle torn out.

I love the convenience of the spigot at every stall, don't love the auto waterers b/c you don't know h2o consumption. But in the long run, I'm sort of a Luddite to a degree - I'd rather have my industrial strength hose (hosepipe when I lived in SC!!). If it bursts I can just pull one out of the trailer until I can run to the hardware store.

Comment

Couldn't the water be turned off somewhere "upstream"? I think it sounds like a wonderful idea! Walk into the barn, flip some lever to turn the water on, and go about your business. Of course there's the night you forget to turn it OFF at the source, I suppose. But still...

Being in the PNW, our barn water system is just a network of hoses from a hydrant outside the barn. I've wanted to rig a hose matrix along the back wall of the stalls -- long horizontal hose with couplings and vertical hoses dropping into each stall/bucket. Of course they couldn't all be turned on at once. And since they'd have to be at the backs of each stall, it would require going INTO each stall. I swear the idea has merit, just needs some tweaking.
                                    Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                                    Starman

Comment

Interesting setup, Bluey. I like it.
                                      "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
                                        Interesting setup, Bluey. I like it.
                                        Thank you, we have now finished the trim on that end, but people many years from now will wonder what idiot set the post inside and hung the gates from the outside of a gate opening.

I remember some stables that had water in each stall, but the faucets were not where horses could get to them to play with them.

Just remember that water pipes and faucets have a way to leak or break.
                                        In one stable with automatic waterers, each stall had concrete floors and a drain to the ouside, for when they flooded.

Comment

Working...
                                        X