• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Emaciated Young Hound -- Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emaciated Young Hound -- Advice?

I looked out the window this AM, and a pathetic young redbone hound was desperately searching for something edible. She is obviously young (under a year) and just skin stretched over protruding bones, sunk in everywhere and some sores on her legs (could have been caught in a trap), but a gorgeous face and expression. I immediately put some canned food in a bowl and gave it to her and she just gulped it down. I gave her a bit of dry also. Then I cooked some rice in some chicken broth and I'm giving her small amounts every 2 or 3 hours with canned food and olive oil and will be getting some chicken livers or ground meat to cook and give her with it. This is just heartbreaking, but she found the right place -- any other suggestions for her? I won't deworm or anything until she regains some weight. I know she'll need a warm place to sleep and probably a coat or something. Anyone need a sweet young hound? TIA
    PennyG

I guess my recommendation would be to take her in to the vet as soon as you can.

Also to be careful on the food because if she's that emaciated, feeding her a lot at once can make her sick.

If you have other pets, be careful to quarantine her if she's going to hang out at your place.

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Notify Animal Control that you have found a lost/abandoned dog. For all you know she may indeed be lost and been out for some time. You'd be amazed how far animals can travel if they're scared. I once found a dog that had been reported lost several counties away, and only reported missing in its home county. I have no idea why I thought to check other shelters... but I did.

Don't feed her. Feeding her if she's starved can kill her. Fast. You need to get the help of a vet or a vet tech for advice on refeeding.

If you wish to tend to the animal at your expense, take her to the vet immediately. She may need fluids, and you'll at least want to give her a rabies shot. (ask the vet to cut you a break since you're being a Good Samaritan - mine does!)

Any evidence that she's nursing?
      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Sounds like a good plan on the feeding, just keep going easy on it.

Try to get her to a vet asap and have them also check for a microchip.
        She may be someone else's that is going nuts looking for her and then she may not be.

We kept a very nice sweet cat once, or lets say he stayed over for a few days until a lady came over crying about having lost her cat and he was at that time, late in the evening, asleep on my pillow.
        He was happy to see her and she could not thank us enough for keeping him safe, although maybe she wanted to kill us for not having checked around for his owner.

Any pictures of your new dog?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I've actually done this before, but you can always learn something from this message board. She is doing ok with the small feedings. I have the Chicken Soup dry and canned food and rice/broth and will also use some ground meat, etc. I can't get her to the vet today, but will get that done. Here are some photos. She is feeling better after a few meals.
          Thanks!
          PennyG
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh wow. You weren't kidding. Skin and bones.

Good luck. Poor pup...looks like her luck is changing though. That's great!
            A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Oh my. Looks like she's going to be stunning after some TLC. Please keep us posted on this girl!

Comment

Her toenails look so long I don't think she has been lost and on the road long, but is looking more like a case of neglect.

The vet will also test for heartworms, I think.

She is sure pretty and looks strong, so maybe she will be fine with good food and care.

Comment

I doubt you will find a microchip, or a report of someone looking for her. A lot of hunters will dump a hound that doesn't hunt.
                  I found a hound a few years ago that looked like that. She was in the median of the highway, and the only reason I was able to catch her is because I had purchased some cheese at a farmer's market. I used it to bribe her until she was close enough to grab. Fortunately, she had a collar on. Unfortunately, it had taken most of the hair off her neck. However, a lot of her hair loss (like on her belly) was from malnutrition. Her skin was in such bad shape that she would scratch herself bloody. She also had worms, heartworms, lyme disease, and ehrlichia.
                  I named her "Skinny Minnie," for obvious reasons. The vet had me feed her puppy food for several months, as it's higher in calories and protein. I also gave her Omega-3 supplements for her skin and coat. We had to put quite a bit of weight on her before she could be treated for the HW, and of course once her body condition improved, she came in heat.
                  It's unlikely that your hound has had any preventative care, as many of these hunters just don't bother with it. It's cheaper to get another dog than to treat the one they have. I'm not saying that all the people who hunt with hounds are like this, just some of them.
                  She's also unlikely to be housebroken, as she's probably lived in a kennel or out on a chain her whole life. Minnie was terrified of normal household sounds, like the dryer, the garage door opener, or the refrigerator coming on.
                  You will find that once you get her feeling better, she will turn out to be a wonderful, affectionate dog. Minnie is very sweet, and seems to have recovered from her past. She's happiest cuddled up with me on "her" couch.

Edited to add that she looks like a Redbone Hound.
                  Also, I got a Good Samaritan grant from United Animal Nations. They pay it directly to the vet to help defray the cost of treatment.
                  Amateur rider, professional braider.
                  ----
                  Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

• Original Poster

She's is dripping tapeworms. I'd love to get rid of those. I have some liquid pyrantel Pamoate and will check and see if I have any of the tapeworm pills for dogs. I might wait a couple of days to give it to her, but the worms are doing damage and taking away nutrition the longer they stay. She probably has all other varieties including heart worms as well, which we will take care of as she can handle it. My sister is coming out with a sweater for her and I moved an igloo up by the back door and put bedding in it and have a doggie bed also coming for her. I'd love to get her to stay in the feed room of one of the stallion barns, it's warm and cozy with alot of hay on the floor. I need to cook some more rice. It's so hard to see her like this -- I just want to fix it all at once, which is my problem and I'll have to find a dose of "patience" for me (very elusive!). Thanks for the advice. I'll post pictures as she recovers.
                    PennyG

Comment

Will she let you handle her? Does she appear to have any clue about walking on a leash?
                      Amateur rider, professional braider.
                      ----
                      Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

She is very cute. Keep posting pictures as she gets healthy and fills out.

Comment

Originally posted by TKR View Post
                          She's is dripping tapeworms. I'd love to get rid of those. I have some liquid pyrantel Pamoate and will check and see if I have any of the tapeworm pills for dogs.I might wait a couple of days to give it to her, but the worms are doing damage and taking away nutrition the longer they stay.
                          You need Praziquantel for the tapes. I would *not* deworm her until you brought her to a vet.

I can think of several other parasites that are much more pathogenic and harmful than tape worms.

I would be *Very* careful feeding her. We took an old dog that looked like this, and we started feeding him 1/4 or 1/2 cup of food 3 or 4 times daily. Yes, it will take time to put weight on them, but for a dog that has not seen a good meal in a long time, refeeding syndrome can literally kill. Also, I would feed her dog food rather than a variety of other sorts of human food.

I would make sure she goes to a vet with a microchip scanner. Many good breeders will chip all their puppies....

She looks like a doll, and I am so glad you took her in. She wouldn't have survived long out there...

Comment

Good on you for taking her in. She's going to be a beautiful girl with some TLC.

I can't really add any advice - but I have learned a few things about treating for HWs (through working with border collie rescue) so let us know when you get to that stage.

I had no idea about re-feeding syndrome until I joined COTH. Y'all are a wealth of information.
                            I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I would snatch her up in a second! Pretty girl, and good luck.

Comment

Found Hound

Did you check inside her earflaps to see if she has any tatoos?
                                That might give a clue-------

Comment

Your Karma just went up a few points...I heart you for taking her in.

What a beautiful dog...she appears to have been without food for a long time. Obviously you don't know her circumstances, but a dog that emaciated has been starved for weeks. I have Corgis but have always had a soft spot for "Southern" hound breeds. Keep us up-to-date on her.

Comment

She is going to be beautiful. A pox on the idiot who let her get like that.
                                    You are a saviour.
                                    My sister just almost lost a dog to bloat, she was lost for 4 days and when she came home my sister fed her a regular meal and she immediately bloated. she knows dogs, but didnt think about this.
                                    So be careful and bless you for taking her in.
                                    www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

Like others have said, be very careful with the food, ESPECIALLY the fats, if anything a sudden large dose of fat can give her pancreatitis and that's very deadly, especially to a hound who's already so debilitated. Once she's seen a vet, a few small bland meals a day like boiled chicken and broth with dry food will ease her system back to normal and prevent her from getting sick or from bloating.

Comment

No advice here but I just wanted to say how kind it is that you helped that hound.

Comment

Working...
                                        X