• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cats outside in cold: OK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats outside in cold: OK?

We are having ridiculously cold temps here in Washington. OK, OK, nothing like what you folks in the Midwest or Northeast or (god forbid) Canada have to put up with. But I don't live there, I live HERE, and I am being faced with animal issues that I'm not prepared for!

I'm assuming the horses are all going to make it just fine. Some are in stalls, some are turned out; they are getting lots of hay and are drinking just great (normal volume, bless them). Dogs are all inside.

I don't have the option of bringing the barn kitties inside. One reason, shared housing; another reason, cats aren't really catchable. They are inside the barn but the barn is hardly snug (lots of open air which most of the time -- not now -- I really appreciate!). There's hay for them to get up on, and a loft. They have food and water. Are they going to be OK with temps in the teens or single digits? So far they seem OK...

Also, we have some cats in cages. Long story -- basically they are new introductions to the farm and they haven't been neutered yet (they are teenage kittens). We have hay in the cages, and a blanket over the cage. Food, water and company (2 furries in one cage, 3 in the other).

In general, does this sound like adequate care for the kitties?
    Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
    Starman

I think that sounds just fine, especially since the caged kitties have friends!

We have barn kitties here and temps were -15 earlier this week. Kitties are fine

If you are concerned, is there a place you could plug in a heating pad? One barn I was at had a teenaged kitty, and she lived on the heating pad in the winter.

Comment

Our barn cats in Central Michigan live outdoors all the time. (Well, in the barn, but it's not like it's heated.) If it gets REALLY bad, Dad will put on the kerosene heater for them in the tack room. But generally, they're fine--they have all their kitty beds in the tack room, and the hay in the loft or the old stalls if they like. They all seem to get along fine.
      Author Page
      Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
      Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Safer than a plug-in heater might be one of those pads that reflect the heat back when the cat is on it. Like this. I got one for the working student's kitten one winter after I finished changing my clothes in the tack room and she was curled up on my semi-warm discarded riding clothes. They do get pretty warm. I sat on it to test it out.

I suspect the cats will be fine tho, especially with their friends for warmth. I saw cats living outside in New England.
        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Mine are fine, when it gets really cold, they either fight for prime real estate under the heat lamp or dig caves in the hay and straw and curl up in cat heaps. The biggest thing is a source of water - heated dish works best, and feed some tinned food as well and the cheaper the better because of the higher fat and moisture content. Also left overs from the house would be appreciated - things like fat trimmings, too tough to eat bits of meat, gristle, poultry skin...all fatty and calorie laden. The fat does really warm them up. Of course lots of cat petting time if you can manage it.
          Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Ah, a similar story: I'm in WA with an airy barn and barn kitties that I'm worried about. For them I created a little cave on the hay with some saddle pads. They seem to enjoy it more than their hay nests, but I'm sure they'd be fine without it. Your setup for the other cats of blanket covered, hay bedded cages with multiple cats inside sounds more than adequate. As long as they all have access to food and water they should be fine.

Supplementing them a little bit with fats and oils might help. My cats are taking that a little further and adding some birds into the mix (first catch I've seen from these two). Time to break out the canned food!

Comment

With food, water and shelter they'll be absolutely fine. Remember they've got lovely made to measure fur coats.

It tends to be persistent freezing rain and wet and lack of food that does harm to animals.

The only ones I'd be concerned about are the caged ones if they're not able to move about a lot to keep warm. I'd suggest using a vet bed (is that what you call them? purpose made fleecy that always stays dry) and putting some polystyrene or pack hay round the wind prevailing side of the cage.

I definitely wouldn't suggest heat pads and stuff like that unless they were very tiny kittens or unwell.

Comment

Well, I brought the outside cats in last night...but not because of the cold. Because of the snow and winds. However I have outside feral cats...not barn cats. Go figure...I get feral cats who claimed my back deck as a home and refuse to go in my barn. So while I do have 2 insulated cat houses out on the deck...they weren't happy about trying to hop through loose powdered snow that's deeper than they are tall. Hubby and I felt bad, so they're shut up in my finished basement family room.
                But if it were just really cold they;d be fine outside. When I lifted each to bring him in last night, both were toasty warm to the touch even without having a barn to live in. We're just dingbat suckers who felt bad for them, they were fine.
                Cats so amazingly well in cold temps. And really hot temps too. They're an extremely adaptable animal. Many times when it's below zero with the wind chill I've watched Spare Kitty happily sitting up on the deck railing enjoying the night instead of in his insulated and fleece lined igloo.
                Do make sure they have water, keep their water bowls from being ice skating rinks and keep them well fed during the cold temps.
                You jump in the saddle,
                Hold onto the bridle!
                Jump in the line!
                ...Belefonte

Comment

granted i'm not even close to your temps, but our 3 cats stay out all the time, they will bed in the fresh straw and snuggle up together. we do have a cat bed for each and they do use that as well...our barn does not have any area that is completely closed off, so they are in the elements...

Comment

Here's another idea from a friend of mine.
                    She takes an old, rectangular, plastic hard shell food cooler (large, Igloo type), flips it upside down and cuts a doorway hole in one of the short ends. Then she puts pads/blanketing down in the sheltered corner of her deck, puts the cooler-turned-cat-shelter over the stuffing, and then covers it all with blankets and a plastic tarp, so that just the doorway is open for entry. The cat(s) stay warm, toasty and dry in it.
                    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

That is a clever idea with the cooler turned condo for an outside kitty.

To the OP, your crew sounds like they have been very well provided for during this tough time. I have one older kitty, she is 14, who lives in the barn. She has her box on a table, with a pillow in it which has a nice old plush bathrobe over it. Above the box is a heat lamp which keeps her toasty and her drinking water melted for a couple hours- twice a day it gets dumped and refilled. She gets canned food at night and dry food 24/7.

Comment

Ditto on the heated water dish!
                        The only drawback to mine is the birds use it too so I need to empty & refill nightly or kitty has to drink birdy bathwater w/poop. Mostly she hops into the stalls through the feed opening and drinks from the horses' water buckets (also heated) anyhow.

I got two of those fleece pet beds on sale (2 for $10!) and kitty sleeps in one that I've cocooned with an old sleeping bag on the stacked hay inside the barn. My barn is open as the stall doors to outside never get shut, but it is insulated and noticeably warmer than outside.

If those heatable gel pads go on sale I'll get one, but right now she's doing just fine in single-digit temps w/o.

I also feed her canned food for the extra fat & liquid but just as much as she'll eat at one time or it freezes.
                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I pretty much agree with Thomas on this one. The loose cats will be fine as long as they have a place to get into shelter. The ones in cages are more vulnerable because they don't have the option of running around to warm up or finding better shelter if theirs is inadequate. The one thing I'd add is that it makes a difference how well the cat is acclimated. A barn cat is much better prepared for weather extremes than an indoor cat. My shorthaired indoor only pet cat suffers when we turn the heat down to 60 degrees. He'd freeze if I abruptly put him outside; his coat and his metabolism aren't prepared for it. In contrast, his country cousins are perfectly happy in a hay loft when it's 15 degrees outside.

Comment

My barn cats stay warm and toasty in all sorts of weather, as long as they have hay, food, and water. I've even seen them out in the field hunting when it was negative-brrr and they could have been tucked up in shelter. One of the best cat cubbies I've ever seen was two plastic storage stackable things, the kind that have an opening on the front and are airtight when closed, like you would store cookies or flour or pet food in. They are about 18 inches cubed. I found two unused in a relative's garage, took the doors off, put some hay in, and put those in my garage. Nearly every morning when I go out to feed, at least one cat pops out of each of them at food call.

Comment

My cats are total wusses. They have heated beds.

Comment

Well we've 4 cats and all supposed to be farm cats.

One is lying sprawled on top of the radiator next to me with her head on the phone. One is under the christmas tree playing with the tinsel. One is flat out asleep on the settee.

The fourth "Sid Vicious" will be somewhere outside. He's the only one we have that decided he didn't want servants and feed on demand. He was an older un-neutered Tom cat when we first acquired him. My wife went to see him at the vets after he'd just been trapped as part of a huge feral colony clear-out. Our vet (some friend he is!) said come and see them, no obligation. Sid had a sign on his cage that said "euthanase or neuter after Susan has viewed"

Needless to say he got neutered and came to Flodden Edge! He's not sociable - indeed he's a total wild thug! We often don't see him for weeks on end.We put food down for him and he copes perfectly well each winter. He normally gets himself in the hay barn and somewhere between and in the middle of the stacks of round bales

Comment

I always worry about this, especially as my barn cat makes her annual bid to become a house cat. Unfortunately, she doesn't get along with the house cats - I actually tried it over Thanksgiving and it just doesn't work. So, it's -9 here this morning and Molly is out in the barn. She has a box house with a wool sweater insulated by hay bales on all sides, and also has a "front porch" in front of the box, also surrounded on all sides by hay. This morning when I went to feed, she was in her hay hole on the "front porch". The box is actually warmer, so she's obviously doing just fine out there. I stuck my hand in to pet her when I brought her food to her and she was toasty warm. I still worry, but there's really no reason to. I do have a heated water bowl for her so she gets her water.
                                  Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                                    Well we've 4 cats and all supposed to be farm cats.

One is lying sprawled on top of the radiator next to me with her head on the phone. One is under the christmas tree playing with the tinsel. One is flat out asleep on the settee.
                                    I can just see it!

Comment

We have 4 farm cats that live in the barns they do fine even at -30 F they curl up in the straw or hay except old mama cat she sleeps on top of the outdoor wood boiler we use to heat the house.
                                      Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

Our 2 barn cats do fine in all temperatures, right down to below zero. They have shelter in the barn, and have found all the warm little spots to cuddle in. They especially like the hayloft, and the rumps of the horses. Usually I see one cat perched on each horse's butt every time I drive by the barn if it's not snowing.
                                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X