• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Adequan for dogs?.. update post 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to jump in here to help everyone understand that:

Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Tramadol, Gabapenten (cats/horses), and others like that are PAIN RELIEVERS! These drugs minimize or mask pain and possibly reduce inflammation (depending on which one we're talking about). Some cause side effects such as GI issues or depression, spaciness, agitation, aggression, etc. Rimadyl is not recommended for labs.

Adequan is something totally different and cannot be compared to pain relievers. It provides lubrication and healing to the joint.

Use the internet to research these different products to understand how each is different.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Twiliath View Post
      Use the internet to research these different products to understand how each is different.
      Hmmm. Sorry. Am confused. I think we get that Adequan is different. I am personally checking to see how others have fared. You have asked that we use the internet to research. Should we not talk to our vets first? Which many of us have. That's why we are here. To see how Adequan, which has been prescribed, is working.
      Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
      LouLove - OTTB - 1992-2008...miss you my pretty red girl...
      Wilde! NEW - OTTSTB - 2004 Gelding...my heart's new journey...

Comment

Any idea if it can be used in cats?

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the administration of Adequan can exacerbate a bleeding problem in the animal. Make sure you have your vet on board if you may want to try Adequan on your dog.

Comment

Can anyone please recommend a vet in/near the Charleston, SC area who is familiar with Adequan?

I have been to 3 vets and none has really had an understanding of the product and how it works. I've been trying to get my dog on it for a year.

Comment

I've cehcked and all I can find is 500mg/ml vials of equine IM Adequan. The canine is 100mg/ml, which my dog would receive 1ml injection. Are you all who are using the equine Adequan dosing down you injections? Jsut wondering how you're doing it b/c I didn't see any equine vials that were 100mg/ml.

Thanks!

Comment

I tried Adequan on my big golden mix last year, and it did NOTHING whatsover to improve his hip arthritis. I was really disappointed after reading about how it was some sort of miracle cure. My vet said on some dogs it really doesn't have much, if any, effect.

I get really discouraged reading about all these "after two weeks my dog was jumping three-foot oxers" stories.

So just be warned, it doesn't work on everyone the same.
                I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

no miracles - more longterm preventative approach

Guin,

I had the same experience as you however my vet has recommended keeping him on it as a long-term preventative. The orthopedic surgeon suggested the same.

Both vets recommended Adequan injections over Dasuquin w/MSM, or similar supplements.

I use Adequan with the dog and Pentosan with my old horse with nasty arthritis.

Comment

My biggest Border Collie (large male, 11 yo, 52 lbs, 23" at the withers) gets 1.25cc per week and has been on Adequan for about four years now. Prior to Adequan he had developed a pronounced limp due a combination of unilateral hip arthritis and probable secondary lumbar arthritis (no fillms have ever been taken of his back). Prior to trying Adequan his orthopedist had suggested that he might eventually need surgical ablation of the nerves to the acetabulum or even hip replacement, but wanted to try Adequan first.

It took about three weeks of twice-weekly dosing to see a difference, but the limp went away and has never returned. Solo is never going to be mistaken for a young dog again, but he is not reluctant to move on out and suffers from acute episodes of joint pain much, much less frequently than he used to.
                    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Comment

Years ago, I gave adequan to my old dog. I bought it through my horse vet at the time. It was the "horse" adequan and appeared to do its job. I can't remember the dosage.

My sister just started giving her border collie adequan. I rarely hear about small animal vets who advise adequan use for some reason. She is doing the regular loading dose, but hasn't seen much improvement. Her dog might have been having issues with rimadyl.

Comment

Originally posted by abbydp View Post
                        Any idea if it can be used in cats?
                        One of the girls at my work has her cat on it. The cat was to the point of not moving much. I told her about it and she asked her vet. According to that conversation and what she told me is that it has not been tested on cats. It has only been tested on horses, dogs and rabbits. Her cat was so bad that they decided to try it even if it had a bad outcome. Its been about 3 months and from what I hear the cat is running around crazy but is losing its appetite. Might not be related is the cat is around 15 years old.
                        Pamela Ellis

Comment

I have a 14 month old dog that has been on adequan injections for the past 4 months. We did the first 4 injections one week apart and are now doing one per month.

My dog started limping (back left leg) at 3 months old and by 4 months was not touching the ground with her leg. The vet could not find anything wrong. We started her on Recovery for dogs and within 3 days she was fine.

We started adequan after the most recent xrays showed that her kneecap is not where it is supposed to be. The purpose of it is to save her joint until it either corrects itself (her growth plates are still not closed) or until surgery happens.

I have not noticed any side effects, but have also not noticed an improvement. On Recovery, she was walking almost normaly and would only limp after a long jumpy play session with another dog. She is still the same after a few months on adequan. I'm not sure if there is no imporvement because she was as imporved as possible on Recovery or if perhaps the good that adequan is doing is inside the joing and I am just not seeing the results.

Comment

I'm having great results with Cosequin for my 8 year old doberman, but he's not perfect. Now you guys are making me wonder if we should try adequan too. Mmmm. What does it run to do a full series for a dog? 71 lb.
                            DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Our old Rottie was on Adequan for years. He had hip displaysia and hip arthritis. It kept him going comfortably for almost 2 years longer than he would have had without it. He lived to be almost 11, which is absolutely ancient for Rottweilers. We used the horse Adequan and just gave him a shot when he would start getting stiff again--usually every 3-4 weeks.

Sheila

Comment

Just started my 9 YO Boxer girl on it. She's creaky out back (hips and legs). Noticed more "exuberance" with in a few days.
                                I'm getting a bottle from the vet Friday to admin myself...not paying for 1x a week loading dose when I can do it myself.
                                He suggested glucosamine. I said JUST GIMME THE GOOD STUFF.
                                Dog's otherwise fantastically healthy and often forgets she isnt a pup.

Comment

I highly recommend looking into GLC Direct. I actually found it through this forum. My old dog's hips were giving out, otherwise very healthy, and I will swear to you, from my skeptical scientist heart, that that stuff added a year and a half to her life.

In fact, I just ordered the human version for myself for the cartilage tear in my knee, it was that good. My vet has even put himself on it for his own torn up knee!
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I'm like you...I had my horse on it and requested it for my Boxer. He had was diagnosed with bursitis and it kept him comfortable. My dog vet wanted to give him the oral stuff and I said forget it....I'll give him the shots. We gave him 1.5cc every 3-4 weeks after the loading dose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sansena View Post
                                      Wait. Are you saying you use the equine product for your canine? And the vet said that's okay? THAT would make things easier..
                                      Yes. I used to give 1.5cc of horse Adequan to a 75 lb. Lab mix. It really helped him and worked out to be much cheaper than Adequan Canine.
                                      Originally posted by EquineImagined
                                      My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

My almost 13 year old lab mix showed improvement that quickly too! He's 65 lbs, and was on 2 1.3cc doses a week for the first month, and now one 1.3cc dose a month. He does wonderfully on it, and it makes a huge difference in his quality of life. Before we started him on it, when he was 11, he was starting to get really stiff all the time and was unable to jump up on the couch and "his" recliner that he loves to sleep on. He now has no trouble jumping up on things and still goes for daily walks with no problem.

Comment

What was your experience like?

Good morning! I know that this is an old thread, so thank you for your forbearance.

I'd really like to know about y'all experiences with Adequan for dogs, especially for the giant breeds.

The reason why I am asking is that I'm going to start my dog on Adequan in two weeks per vet recommendation.

George is a 4 y/o, 111 lb., unregistered, neutered, male Mastiff. We got him from a rescue that had Too Many Animals. He was very ill from four different parasites and Giardia when we got him three years ago. George was born with bilateral OCD in his front elbows. Oddly enough, his hips are fine. He had elbow surgery on his left front leg. He is on prescribed daily Synovi chews. Our vet treats him in consultation with his ortho doc at the KSU vet teaching hospital. We make sure that George never has to lay (lie?) down on the floor. He has a human couch to rest on in the breezeway-doggie turnout area when we are at work and his own human couch to lay on in the house. He is very bonded to our other two shelter dogs. Our vets thinks that the Adequan will help a lot, so we're going to start the series next month.

Anywhoodle, I just wanted to hear others' experiences with the Adequan series.

Thank you all for your time!

Kind Regards,
                                          Amber
                                          Last edited by californianinkansas; Apr. 28, 2013, 10:41 AM. Reason: typo and grammar errors.
                                          PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

Working...
                                          X