Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Coated high tensile or Electrobraid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coated high tensile or Electrobraid?

So I managed to get ONE paddock done before the Winter of 2013 struck. I had it done with coated high tensile. We have not made the top wire hot yet.

I have had 2 injuries already with this fence. I think it is the sharp ends of the wire where the coating is cut off and wrapped around the post. They were both minor, but injuries none the less (one dangerously close to an eye).

I guess I just want opinions on what is better? Coated high tensile or Electrobraid? I am kind of liking the Electrobraid. It looks easy to install and I know when it is hot it won't be touched. I have a mostly docile herd, and no road frontage.

I know there are horror stories for both but this is what I can make work with the budget.

I like my Electrobraid. It's soft and flexible, so when we had some guy try to turn around and miss his arc he took out a couple of posts, it was easy enough to just reset the posts, no stiff wire with memory fighting with you. Also really good for a spring gate because of that rope behavior. We have a couple of wire spring gates and having to mind the wire is too distracting, our wire gates will twist up and sometimes make contact with the hot fence which is no fun, you can actually use the rope to your advantage by flicking it a little or just toss it aside and have it fall where you tossed it.

If the charge fails it provides a pretty sturdy fence as well. If they panic anything they hit hard enough will break or deform and possibly injure them.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

I think the injuries possible are comparable with both. I had to pull a gelding out of Electrobraid last week that he had kicked through and wrapped around his hind legs that was about to be really, really bad. The fence was cutting into him and the end hardware was about to pierce through his legs. If he had panicked and I hadn't been right there he would have been toast, and it was fortunate that particular strand wasn't hot. If you go with the coated high tensile I'd add hot tape or wire somewhere to discourage them from hanging around it.

The best thing for either fence is not use it to separate neighboring pastures. Most legs get hung up kicking or striking at neighbors. Put a lane in there.
      As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

I use the electrobraid and have been really happy with it. Use hog ring pliers to easily splice together or attach to gate handles, etc.

Comment

Vote NO for electrobraid!!!

That stuff WILL NOT BREAK!!! I have had 2 very serious injuries with the Electrobraid. Happened right after installing it while I was out of town at a horse show. Both horses rolled into the fence, got caught in it, and as advertised...it did not break. One horse took me, my husband & the vet 3 hours...all working at the same time...... to sew his leg back on. Torn skin, muscle, & tendons. Needless to say, he has never been ridden again. The other was not as bad, just by luck, but it too resulted in stitches.
          That stuff came down and went straight in the trash!!!
          Last edited by paintjumper; Apr. 3, 2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Had Electrobraid for 9 years and it's been great. It has broken when a horse has run into it. Had a few mishaps over the years and nothing major has happened - a few rope burns that didn't even break the skin. I've heard that how you install it makes a huge difference in its safety. Make sure you follow the directions. I would never use any sort of wire with horses.
            2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

My vote is for Horse Guard tape. It is every bit as or more effective as any electric fence WITHOUT the injury risk. We have never had an injury with Horse Guard and we have miles of it fencing in many horses of all ages and sexes.
              Patty
              www.rivervalefarm.com
              Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

If it's a small space, either is dangerous as Hell.

If it's a larger space, either should be electrified. they will not lie down next to a hot fence and get zapped.

Both are very strong and not designed to give or break. Heat it up or take it down.

PS I have 6 acres in high tensile with 15+ years and no injuries. But..it's big, they don't graze over it or pressure it (forest, not grass on the other side), and the middle strands are Hot as Hell. And the fenceline that keeps them out of the barn yard is coated high tensile. Any 'ends' are nipped very short or wrapped in electrical tape.

Comment

Horses will find ways to hurt themselves no matter where you put them, and thre will always be someone who had a problem or accident with any type of fencing, but here's my experience.

We use Electrobraid, have used it either to help keep horses off of sub-par fencing while we were renting farms, and now as our only fencing on our owned farm, for more than 10 years now. I love the stuff. I wouldn't use anything else at this point. We keep all our horses in it--mares and foals, show horses, race horses, and our breeding (hopefully this summer also to be showing) stallion. With no problems yet. We keep it hot all the time, check that it's hot on a regular basis, and keep it properly tensioned. Another thing I like is that is doesn't move in the wind, like electric tape/horseguard tape that so many other people like.

You couldn't pay me to keep my horses in high tensile. We rented a farm for about 3 months that was fenced in high tensile--all in excellent repair, and a 30+ acre field, so lots of room. We had a two month old foal get her hind legs caught in the fence and degloved both her hind legs from midway between the stifle and hock to half way down her cannon bones. We called the vet out to have her put down, but since the tendons weren't damaged, he suggested we hold off and give her a shot. Our filly made it and is sound and may even make it to the racetrack, but even now, as a three year old after a skin graft, she still has a quarter sized section on one hock that STILL hasn't healed.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, but my vote would be properly installed and HOT Electrobraid.

Sheila

Comment

I assume the OP is not talking about high tensile wire, but this type: http://www.rammfence.com/fence/coate...ric-fence.html ??

I know many people who are very happy with this type of fence. It is what I have personally chosen for perimeter fencing (horseguard for cross fencing). I've also heard enough degloving horror stories about electrobraid now that I wouldn't use it with my smaller pastures (I think the key word is HOT).

How large are your pastures? How hot is your fence?

I have had (luckily mild) injuries from high tensile wire (when it lost charge during a dry, cold winter) and from pipe (the rough kind) fencing. When you board, you don't always get a lot of options and everyone around here uses high tensile (with suprisingly less injuries than you would think based on these threads--not that I'm a fan). I think the safest fence is probably the flex rail...too bad it's so much $.

I started tearing down the rusted barb wire on our place (loose barb wire, now there's a good fencing choice!--and yes, they kept horses in it). I can't WAIT to start fencing!!!
                    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm trying to visualize how you have your ends done where they could still cause injury.

I have a lot of coated high tensile wire on my farm, Centaur Black Lightning. Even in the small sacrifice paddock, including perimeter fence, and all but one tiny 10' section is hot hot hot. The tiny section that is not hot is wrapped around the post and stapled in, but it's wrapped back on itself so there are no pokey ends. They'll get splinters off the post before they get hurt on the wire.

I had a filly last year, in all of her baby antics and playing she ended up miscalculating her sliding stops a few times and wound up in the electrified hotwire. She did not escape, she did not have a scratch on her, and she did not get hung up in the wire. She hit it and bounced off, the only thing that broke were a few plastic insulators.

When installed correctly and kept electric this fence is safe. Both types of fence you are looking into must be kept electric most of the time for it to be the safest. If the horses learn it is off they will begin to test it and rub on it, not good for any type of fencing.

My #1 concern with the electrobraid was it's lack of rigidity, it is too close to rope and rope gets tangled and wrapped in things too easily (legs). So I went with the coated wire and have never regretted it. I do not think the filly would have had the same outcome with the electrobraid when she ran into it, at a minimum I believe she would have gotten out of the pasture and since my land is on a 4 land highway I could not take that risk.

I actually just got done fencing in more of the property with a mixture of 4 strand coated wire and 4 board flex rail with a strand of the electrified coated wire on the inside. One of the neighbors said I looked like I was building a fence around Ft Knox.

Comment

I had to put down a beautiful 3 year old Appaloosa after he got my Electrobraid fencing wrapped around a hind leg, took off parallel to the fence and got all of the flesh on his leg cut down to the bone all the way around. It was tight and hot. Unless things have changed in the 10 years since I've had it, you didn't use tensioners to get it super tight like you can with high tensile products. You could only get it hand tight.

I will not put it up again.

I bought my current property already fenced with high tensile bare wire and it is on my list of things to do very soon to pull it all down and replace with high tensile coated tape at least 1 inch thick like this stuff: http://www.rammfence.com/fence/flex-...lex-fence.html

I used to board at a breeding farm that had something similar and the foals would bounce off of it all day long with no problems.
                        Equestrian and Sporting Oil Paintings
                        www.laurenfanning.com
                        Roxy 2001 APHA, Al Amir 2005 OTTB,
                        Ten Purposes 2009 OTTB

Comment

We have coated HT on both sides of our driveway with pipe posts and a pipe top rail. Not electrified. The pastures are 4-5 acres, but the horses still reach through and stretch the heck out of the coated wire. It doesn't pull tight enough to look nice. And yes...the ends - ours go through gripples...are sharp. I've used electro braid as a top electric wire and it's okay, but does stretch and I would worry that it is so strong that does not break. We used Bayco fencing for years and will go back to it on our next farm. It looks like small diameter coated HT, but is completely synthetic...no wire or cable core. It is installed - hand tightened - to have a 20% stretch. Trees can fall on it...horses can run into it and it stretches...rarely breaks, but when/if it does it doesn't recoil or cut. It MUST be used with a line or two (we do top and bottom) electric. We use the thinner poly wire.
                          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

I've had Electrobraid up here at my place for 13 years, and have never had an injury. I chose it after a lot of research following a nasty injury when my then 2yo got a leg hung up in bare high tensile (spent 2 months at vet school getting patched back together). That same horse ran into a cross-section of the Electrobraid once here, and the posts snapped off at the ground, te lines of fence laid down under the horse, and when he got up he carefully stepped out and the fence sprang back up (standing the post up with it). Obviously, that could've been more disastrous if the fence had been on, which would've caused the horse to panic, etc. Also, it could've been avoided by flagging the strands of cross-fence (I'd done the perimeter), he simply didn't see it until he'd hit it. From that moment on, new horses were introduced to the fence with it fully flagged and cold. Once they know where it is and there is no wild running around, the heat is put to it. One or two good cracks on the nose and they respect it!

Also, I did have a large section lose heat a year ago due to a severed connection. My appy figured it out and started wiggling through the lines to get to greener grass (this was winter when pasture was dead). Mine is tight enough to keep its shape, but flexible enough this 15.2 horse had no problem sneaking through unscathed. He stretched it out and just bulled his way through it. Again, this could have resulted in an accident, but it was my fault for not realizing part of the fence had lost electricity.

I love the fence. It's practically maintenance-free, and my gang respects it when it's hot, which it always is.

Comment

Just an FYI- after a hurricane I had to do some substantial repairs and purchased what was available at TSC. It happened to be a cheaper version of the Electrobraid and it has almost completely disintegrated within a 2 year period from exposure to the sun. I wish I could remember what actual brand of electric rope it was as it was a complete waste of money. The thick, top of the line stuff has held up fine for 5 years now. If you go with Electrobraid you should be fine. I have also used the premium Baygard electric rope and it has held up well.

Comment

Electrobraid from Premier Fencing. You must keep you fences hot and tight filling their instructions for installation. Springs on the ends make the fence very safe. I have had mine for over ten years and no injuries.
                                Virginia Field Hunters
                                https://m.facebook.com/vafieldhunters?ref=bookmark

https://m.facebook.com/studconcertogrosso?ref=bookmark CONCERTO GROSSO

Comment

There are horror stories about all kinds of fencing, so opinions can vary based on personal experience.

So, MY personal opinion, LOL -- I will not use Electrobraid, it is too slim for me. What I have installed myself, I have done with HorseGuard bipolar tape, so I don't have to ground the charger (LOVE. IT. WORKS. GREAT.).

When I bought the property, the owner (who is now my neighbour) had already fenced it for horses and goats, so all the fences are 6-7 strand coated hi-tensile. I just run my tape inside that. I used to categorically hate ALL hi-tensile, but Friday I learned an important lesson:

Not all hi-tensile fencing is created equally. My neighbour's fencing skills (he does pro contracting with USDA for huge cost-share projects of 1,000 acre pastures and the like) literally saved my heart horse's life.

Solo had slipped out a gate, naughty and suddenly found himself on the opposite side of a section of fence I had not put tape on yet. He does NOT respect wire and has run through it before, it doesn't matter if it's hot enough to put me on my knees. To his credit, he did try to jump it, but didn't see the top two wires, so he jumped THROUGH 2-3 strands of the top of the fence.

He is a lucky, stubborn redhead. The thick, heavy-duty, top-quality, COATED hi-tensile wire rolled smoothly down his front and back cannon bones and did not even leave a scratch. And then where the ceramic insulators were connected to the corner post, the wrapped wire released instantly like it was supposed to and all 3 wires fell away immediately as he galloped off.

After I started breathing again, I called my neighbour and thanked him. If he had skimped on the wire or not installed it correctly, my best buddy would either have no skin left or he would be dead.

So that really opened my eyes and now I worry a lot less about the wire on my property. However, I also have learned how absolutely critical it is to do it right if you use it. Neighbour showed me how to tension it and surprisingly, it should not be as tight as I thought. It is tight enough not to swing in the wind and let an accidental bump brush off, but not even close to as tight as tape should be.
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I have a top wood board with three strands of electric tape around one paddock with board fencing for the other paddocks. Getting ready to redo the fencing as it's old, and will do electric tape for all paddocks. It looks good with the top board, and the horses don't rub on it. They all respect it and don't touch it. They all lean and rub on the wood fences.

I will be installing solar panels, though, at least for one paddock. Right now the electric fence is hooked into the barn electric box, but I've been without power for days on end on multiple occasions, so will need an alternate source of electricity.
                                    Man plans. God laughs.

Comment

I started my farm with split rail only to have my horses knocking down the rails and walking off. After a couple of years chasing horse and getting too old for it I had electric tape installed and they stopped getting out through the fence. I really thought that Electrobraid or some knock off would work and now I won't try it. The last thing I want is escape or injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash44 View Post
                                        I have a top wood board with three strands of electric tape around one paddock with board fencing for the other paddocks.
                                        Oh good idea to put the board on the top for a sturdier perimeter!

As far as power, that's why I use a DC charger and just put the deep cycle battery on the charger once a month or so. Eventually the battery will get its own solar panel, but since it will require $150 panel, it has to wait for a bit, LOL. I've found the DC charger much more reliable than a pure solar charger though and thanks to everyone who pointed me towards Parmak's chargers, they are fantastic!!! (sorry, don't mean to hijack)
                                        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Working...
                                        X