• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Share your trailering words of wisdom.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saje View Post
    Don't assume that just because a gas station advertises diesel that you can get your rig in AND out easily.
    THIS!!! Also, don't think, as you pass one who can get in and out of, "oh, I'm ok for awhile yet. I'll stop a little bit later." Otherwise, you'll end up having to get in and out of an impossible place! Speaking from experience....twice

AND, having had those two experiences, I also offer up what I learned from them....you don't get REALLY good at backing until you put yourself, accidentally, in a sticky situation. Ever since those two times (especially the first one, which was horrific!), any other backing type situation has seemed relatively EASY!
    Amanda

Comment

What I Always Tell Myself

W............I...............D.................E Turns.

Defensive braking - apply before you think you need them, especially approaching intersections.

Ditto to double-checking all hitch elements & testing brakes & lights before driving off.

And safer to assume other drivers will do most anything to avoid being stuck behind you.
      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Are you driving diesel? Then remember it's 'fuel' not 'gas!' DD made this very clear with me.

Never pull into a station without knowing how you're going to get back out. You will pick your favorites on your regular trips and GDit the car driver who pulls into a diesel pump when there are plenty of gas pumps open!! to them. and to top it off they'll leave the car there and go use the restroom, or get a drink. Welcome to our club

I am huge about backing off the pedal and slowing down and coasting into a light, keeping my wheels rolling as it turns green. Saves a lot of wear on your truck not having to start from a dead stop, esp on inclines.

Mount a marine battery under your gooseneck and then you can use lights without pulling off your truck battery.

Watch your right hand mirror on wide turns! You will get he idiot who has no idea and they drive and squeeze in there.

Honk and wave at us other ladies driving out there! I used to have an F250 I had a vanity plate made that said 'HER F250'
        Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

Something that really helps me on long hauls in areas I don't know for diesel is a smartphone app called GasBuddy - you can search for gas or diesel and by closest to you or cheapest price. It will also give you directions from your current location to gas/fuel.

Comment

Lots of good ones posted already, so I'll try to write some new ones...

Have screens if you leave their windows down, it will catch bugs and something most people don't think about: Cigarette butts. I've read news stories of tossed butts (not on purpose I truly hope) landing IN a trailer... never a happy ending.

First aid kit!

Water supply. Even with no LQ style trailer, have water in your tackroom or truck bed. Even if you have US Rider (GET) your horses (and you) need water.

Reflective stickers on the back stating the trailer has horses. Many people truly do not realize how far to stay back. Mine states 200 feet and has the wide turns sticker.

I got those bumper cushions for use on tables in homes with babies/toddlers and put them on the inside rim of my trailer doors so if a horse tosses their head up while backing out it can really help.

May think of more later but those are some that I value.
            My herd for life:
            King: 21 year old Foxtrotter gelding
            Ruais: 8 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
            http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

Comment

Take a friend, two eyes are better than one,,you will be fine
              [URL="http://rygarhorsetransport.com"]http://rygarhorsetransport.com[/URL

Comment

A Few Followup Questions

Following up on the GREAT information in this thread....

1. What are "chuckholes"? Do I really really need 2 spares if I don't trailer more than one hour away?

2. "Speed up, brake or turn, ONE AT A TIME"
                OK, when you have a clover-leaf loop merge onto a highway, you have to both accelerate up to highway speed, while you driving around the curvy loop, otherwise you'll get to the highway and not be able to merge at all 'cuz your going too slow.

(And the merges off a clover loop stress me out the most). What is the COTH opinion on this type of situation?

3. "Reflective stickers on the back stating the trailer has horses. Many people truly do not realize how far to stay back. Mine states 200 feet and has the wide turns sticker."

Where do you get a sign that says "Stay Back"? Any examples on the internet that you can think of ? I've never seen a driver stay back 200 feet. Most of them are so close behind the trailer that they are completely hidden.

Thanks!

Comment

Drive as if you have a "coffee mug on the dashboard" .

I took out my r.h. fender on a post by turning too sharp (once )

Make a habit of attention to detail and that means do a walk about to check hitch and doors every single time.
                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by ytr45 View Post

1. What are "chuckholes"?
                    Seriously? What magical well-maintained place do you live in that you have never heard of chuck holes? I must move there.

Chuck holes are pot holes. If you don't know what pot holes are, we ALL need to move to your town.
                    "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

Originally posted by ytr45 View Post

3. "Reflective stickers on the back stating the trailer has horses. Many people truly do not realize how far to stay back. Mine states 200 feet and has the wide turns sticker."

Where do you get a sign that says "Stay Back"? Any examples on the internet that you can think of ? I've never seen a driver stay back 200 feet. Most of them are so close behind the trailer that they are completely hidden.

Thanks!
                        Here is where we got ours: http://cautionhorses.com/

Here are submitted before and after photos of trailers with them: http://cautionhorses.com/testimonials.shtml

Mine is one of them.
                        My herd for life:
                        King: 21 year old Foxtrotter gelding
                        Ruais: 8 year old Friesian/Arabian mare
                        http://imgur.com/a/LSPiJ#0

Comment

A good source for other reasonably priced trailer stuff: www.tweetys.com - Even tho my EquiBreeze (made by EquiSpirit) came with reflective striping, I bought & added more. They also have a good price on the Trailer-Aid.
                          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

oh I definitely know what potholes are..... I just never heard them called "chuck holes". It sounds like a colloquialism that we don't have in Virginia, or at least I never heard of it. I was hoping it would be something more interesting than just a regular pothole, maybe a pothole with a little troll in it ?

Comment

These are great! One thing that has been really valuable for me is teaching my horse to unload quietly and self load in any situation, no matter what else is going on around him. It really helps in an emergency if you don't have to deal with a panicky horse, too.

Two stories, both times I was by myself:

A freak accident -- I went over a bridge on a small country road and must have hit the bumpy seam in the road just the wrong way, because the trailer popped right off the ball. Luckily I was not going fast, and the chains and safety wire kept the trailer attached to the truck, but it was still fishtailing all over the place. I coasted to a stop on the side of the road, which had no shoulder and a 3' drainage ditch running alongside. I blocked the wheels right away (always travel with wheel blocks!) since we were now on a pretty steep uphill, and I realized I was going to have to unhook the chains to get rehitched, since the trailer was way off to the side now. But I really didn't want to leave my horse on the trailer, on a steep hill, without it being attached to the truck. Luckily a guy drove by at just the right moment and stopped to help. I unloaded my horse right there on the road, right next to the ditch, and he stood there quietly with me while I helped the guy back up the truck to rehitch (he was too scared to hold the horse ). My horse self-loaded back on the trailer, and off we went.

Another situation, just this year: I was driving down a very busy 4-lane road when my trailer brakes failed. They had just been serviced a week before. I pulled over the first chance I got, which happened to be a gas station/small truck stop, and called my mechanic. He was able to get someone to drive to where I was and see if he could fix it. Turns out he had to jack the trailer up and take the wheels off to fix the brakes, so I had to unload my horse in the middle of a truck stop with tractor trailers pulling in and out, then stand there and wait for 2 hours while he worked on the brakes. Oh, and did I mention we were also in Amish country and it was Sunday/church day, so there were lots of carriages going by, and we were right next to a cornfield being harvested the old-fashioned way, with a team of 5 draft horses hitched side-by-side and men throwing giant sheaves of corn onto a flatbed the horses were pulling. The mechanic did eventually fix the brakes, and we were able to get back on the road.
                              RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Comment

Keep an eye on your mirrors going around corners or turning. More than once I have had people try to pass me on the right despite the right hand turn signal was on because there was room as I was swinging wide. Always assume the other drivers are gong to do something incredibly dangerous/stupid.

Always check twice that you are hooked up right with the ball locked. I've personally known people who have lost trailers that way. Make sure your tailgate is in the correct position- that 's another common gotcha.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Comment

Always make sure you have some drinkable water for your horses, whether it's a small water tank or cooler full of water, just in case you get stranded. And always bring a map, because GPS isn't always correct, and know an alternative route just incase there is bad traffic and it's a hot day. Also, I use hay string loops to tie my horses to, instead of buying those little plastic things that pop open when pulled back on (Its much cheaper and recycles you our hay string). Make sure you have some sort of knife so you can cut off halters or lead ropes if you are in a bad wreck.

Comment

Good idea about knife (have one - but it's not in my trailer, it's in a saddlepad). Some people ship with two halters so that if you have to cut one off, or it breaks, there is still one on the horse. Spare leadropes.
                                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by groundrover View Post
                                      Make sure you have some sort of knife so you can cut off halters or lead ropes if you are in a bad wreck.
                                      An old friend of mine never hauled without carrying some tranquilizer. And it came in handy the time her truck broke down on a busy 4 lane. It took me time to get my trailer, and truck gassed, to get to her to pick up the horses. Meanwhile all the big rig truck traffic was whipping and rocking the trailer stuck on the side of the road and they had a long wait for me to get there.

I can also see the scenario if there is a bad accident and you're caught in the long wait pileup (especially on interstates) where you can't easily turn around and take another route.

Also always keep the lead rope/extra halter in the truck with you.

Comment

Several comments about wide right turns.

Get a CDL manual, even though you probably do not need a CDL.

Lots of good tips about driving trailers.

One thing they stress is that you do not swing wide right turns. You stay in the right lane and close to the curb or pavement edge and drive your truck PAST the corner just enough that when you make the turn, the trailer stays on the pavement and not on the sign posts or the ditch.

This means that your truck will on some turns encroach on the other lanes in the road you are turning into, but so be it.

Next time y ou are behind a big truck with a 50' trailer, watch how he makes the turn. He does this to keep you from trying to sqeeze between him and the curb.

It is true that if y ou are turning into a very narrow road, such as a private roadway or back road, that you will have to swing. But do not do it unless you are in that situation.

After a while, you will get so you can judge how far you need to pass the corner before turning and can do it on a dark rainy night, unable to see anything in the right mirror.

Another tip regarding left turns where there are two or more lanes turning to the left at a light.

Take the most right hand lane. The reason is that this allows you to go past the critical point in the turn before you turn, this keeping your rear wheels from encroaching on the drivers lane to your left.

If you take one of the inside or left most lanes, the vehicle on your right will prevent you from going past the critical point and crowd you so that your rear wheels just might crunch the guy to your left, if it is a three lane turn, or one of those signs the stupid DOT people put so close to the traffic island that you scratch your trailer.

I get my brakes checked and bearings checked twice a year, which for me is right at 10,000 miles between checks. Under side checked at the same time for corrosion or brocken welds.

One more thing. Be very careful about how you turn around or make turns on any uneven surface, even roads where the road you are entering is banked at a different angle than the road you are leaving. This will not apply to federal or state roads, but to farm roads, private drives, etc.

If the surfaces are too uneven, your truck will tilt in one direction, your trailer another and the goose neck will dig into the sides of your bed.

Ask me how I know. If I were to repair mine, it would cost $4,000. I won't because I would with my luck do it agaIn within days.

If you hunt and are parking in pastures or if you are camping in the mountains....something you need to pay a lot of attention to.

Comment

US Rider has a great list of things to always bring or have with you.

We also have the "back up buddy" yellow thingy. Best thing I've ever bought.

Finally, assume that the car/vehicle that you see waiting to pull out into the road will pull out right in front of you, trying to not get "stuck" behind a horse trailer. Whenever I see a car waiting to pull out, I take my foot off the brakes because 99% of the time, you'll get cut off and you don't want to have to brake suddenly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X