Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

528KerwinHill-003-HDRInternet
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Anyone Use a Mini-Truck on Their Farm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Use a Mini-Truck on Their Farm?

Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...#ht_500wt_1102

Hubby thought this would be a fun alternative to an atv or side by side for a runabout at the new place. I like the idea of the closed cab and the fact that it has heat and A/C! Most are four-wheel drive too. In Kentucky they don't even need to be registered or insured to be used on the roads like an atv. Honda, Mitsubishi and Suzuki are some of the makes available.

So, does anyone else have one?
    I would like to think I will die an heroic death...

But it's more likely I'll trip over my dog and choke on a spoonful of frosting.

You DID notice that it has right-hand steering? Probably not a problem on the farm, but might be difficult on the road unless you learned to drive in the UK.

Not owned one, though I have seen them in use at large facilities, zoo, tourist attractions kind of places. Looked like they could work.

Comment

I worked on a farm that had several of these sort of vehicles. 4 or 5 of them. All were slightly different. A couple had dump beds, a GREAT feature. We all loved them. They're really easy to climb in and out of. Fun to drive, like a slow go-cart With their small size they fit down narrow pasture lanes, into the barn and up to stalls, could drive them right into run in sheds for mucking, take them out to the woods to dump the random dead deer that was hit on the road and wandered into a pasture to die (that actually happened), they fit through every gate on the property. All with the conveniences of a closed cab and bed of a pick-up truck. LOVED them!!!

Like I mentioned, all were a little different. The one that was most coveted was the smallest that also had a dump bed. Really easy to take hay out to a large field, and then drive right into the run-in and muck, use the dump bed to unload at the manure pit. Then fill up with bedding and dump that into the run-in.

Comment

• Original Poster

I did notice that! I used to deliver for the Post Office, so problem sitting on the wrong side. I just like the idea that it's four wheel drive, is enclosed in case the weather's bad, but small enough to zip around and in and out of the barn.

I'm pretty sure this is what we'll be getting, so I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Twisted - we posted at the same time. This is how I pictured them working. They really seem like a great idea! Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

Comment

I've always wanted one of the Honda 6x6 ones that comes with crawler tracks.
            http://www.carsonexports.com/node/119

Maybe not so interesting in Kentucky, and not so good for on road, but it would entertain me.

Comment

• Original Poster

That is very cool!

Comment

We just bought our 10-acre avocado/citrus orchard about a year ago and I generally find myself riding around on a 350 quad with a rack and tool box on the front, it can hold a few people and it's a fun & visceral experience....but sometimes I need more in terms of carrying people or just moving stuff around.

I'm looking at the new Honda Pioneer 700-4....it can seat 4 people OR the rear seats fold down to become a rear dump (which everyone says is quite useful). Also, we can take it off the farm and ride it for offroading. It's full-time 4x4 with sweet suspension, a good deal more then just a farm-cart....but hey, you gotta have fun!

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/pioneer-700-4.aspx

Comment

• Original Poster

That is very cool Fillmore Farmer - but WAY over our budget! We're looking at spending between $3500 and $5k for one of the mini trucks.

Comment

Those Honda 4x4s are pretty cool. The barn I grew up riding at and visit occasionally have a couple of those now. The BO's teenage girls sure love driving them around! I wonder if there are covers for them - kinda like a soft top Jeep? For a work truck, I would look for something enclosed. When it's freezing rain in February, and you're in a moving vehicle, the roof and windshield are so wonderful to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
                      That is very cool Fillmore Farmer - but WAY over our budget! We're looking at spending between $3500 and $5k for one of the mini trucks.
                      You can barely buy a solid quad for $3,500....how could a mini-truck cost that little???

Originally posted by Twisted River View Post
                      Those Honda 4x4s are pretty cool. I wonder if there are covers for them - kinda like a soft top Jeep?
                      Oh yeah, Honda is going to make EVERYTHING you could possibly attach, add or accessorize to the 700-4...bumpers, winches, windshields, complete enclosures...even a licorice dispenser!

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore farmer View Post
                        You can barely buy a solid quad for $3,500....how could a mini-truck cost that little???:
                        US Gove surplus... those types of small trucks have been used on flight lines for about twenty-five years

http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/a...31QSCI13214011

Comment

Originally posted by Fillmore farmer View Post
                          You can barely buy a solid quad for $3,500....how could a mini-truck cost that little???
                          They are all used. I suspect that you can't get them new here because they would not be much cheaper than $15K or whatever a bare-bones ford ranger or similar costs so there would not be much demand.

Used cars are practically worthless in Japan after 5 years, so if there is a market for them overseas at scrap metal plus shipping cost it can be worth exporting them. In some countries (like New Zealand) where they are relatively easy to register and you want right hand drive you see a lot of used Japanese cars come in that way. In countries that have a domestic auto industry to protect (and where right hand drive is not useful) you don't see many on road.

Comment

Dihatsu hijet

I've got one. Love it. I accidently on purpose bought it on eBay if you know what I mean. It's useful and cute. I've had it three years and still get in on the wrong side to drive. It also takes skill to drive stick shift on the wrong side. I bought it instead of a gator.

Comment

I've seen one around here that has a little snow plow blade on the front, too.
                              It's a small world -- unless you gotta walk home.

Comment

Working...
                              X