• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone every put a barn/pasture/ring on top of recently tilled pasture?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone every put a barn/pasture/ring on top of recently tilled pasture?

The (seemingly) never-ending farmette search continues. Today we saw a place that is a house surrounded by 14 acres of recently tilled farmland which, for the past few years, has been planted bi-yearly with cucumbers and sweet potatoes. The land was literally just tilled and not yet planted.

I am wondering how long it will take grass to grow if we fertilize/seed part of the land. Can the horses be ON the land while that's happening? How long between when the grass seed is planted and they can go on?

In my brain, I am thinking this is IDEAL site prep for a barn and riding ring-- it just needs to be graded on top, but maybe that's just a layman's misunderstanding. Tilled land sure sort of LOOKS like footing I wasn't planning to be able to afford to put in a ring/footing immediately-- but am I in a position to do it cheaper if I start with tilled land versus well-established grass?

Anyone ever done anything similar and have thoughts to share?

And then the dumb question... if I keep a bunch of adjacent acres for farmland, are routine farming activities going to freak out my horses? I am imagining one of those GIANT water cannons going down the rows and watering my horses in their pasture along with the crops
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Our place was farmland when we purchased. He harvested late June/early July then came back then end of August and sprayed round-up. He then planted our pastures. Ideally, horses should be off for the first season so the grass can get established.

They came in and had to excavate/level for the barn, so the ground condition didn't matter

We have 20+ acres farmed and the horses look at the equipment but give it little bother. We don't have irrigation next to the field, but seeing they desensitize to planes (ours ignore our neighbors ultralights that fly over them), trains and what not, I would think it would get boring quick
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

The fact that it is tilled shouldn't make a difference for building anything. Getting down to dirt is not one of the expensive parts of building an arena. It's great if it's pretty level though!

We just redid several pastures. The grass grew in within a few weeks of sowing, but the conditions were good (nice amount of rain). The experts have told us that you must wait 2 months before you let horses graze on it. This is so the roots can become well established. After that, they recommend not mowing it any shorter than 5" so the horses don't rip the roots out when they graze.

Comment

• Original Poster

LOL, at least tell me it'll be easier to sink the fenceposts in!
        ~Veronica

Comment

• Original Poster

Super level

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/vxf11...th010.jpg.html

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/vxf11...th009.jpg.html
          ~Veronica

Comment

For building, agreed, it won't matter, as it will need to be leveled and compacted with equipment anyway. For pasture or riding use, it will need to settle and rest while vegetation is established. It depends on your soil type and moisture -- some places that are tilled deeply for crops here will need to settle for a year before horses won't jab holes in it and sink. Some will be ok after a few months. I'd talk to your extension office.

ETA -- you don't want to ride on tilled soil, it will be way too soft and it will turn to muck and erode away, it's extremely unstable. Established turf is far far far better for regular riding.
            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

In regards to your second question, I was scared when I saw the huge harvester(?) in the field next to my horses. It was two stories high. I'm fine with city cranes 30 stories high,I'm a mostly city girl, but that combine was huge, and on a hill, all I could think was its going to topple over and the horses are going to go crazy when they see it.
              My horses, originally from the burbs, pricked their ears and went to the fence line to say "hi". Since they've had a couple of years now seeing it, they are fine with it. Me, it was the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                LOL, at least tell me it'll be easier to sink the fenceposts in!
                LOL, not really, the soil should not be tilled that deep...
                Originally posted by BigMama1
                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

For any foundation for any building you must go down to undistributed ground.

When we built our riding ring we had to cut and fill .....the fill settled for two years (mainly because we had no money to finish) once we decided to go ahead and complete we had a big paving roller come in and roll the ground and the double layer base we put down.

Dalemma

Comment

No thoughts on the the first part of your post, but your horses will get over it. My gelding can be nutty, and nothing has been better for him than being pastured with and near cows, having the tractors going by his field every day in the summer, and even the kicker baler spitting out bales in the hay field right next to his pasture. They get over it. We used to live next to a railroad track that used freight cars and Amtrak - the first few times, holy moly! Glad I wasn't riding him when it went by...but after that, they never picked their heads up when they heard it coming. Old news.
                    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

I can't comment on the suitability of tilled land, as I have no experience with that. I do have some thoughts for you, however, particularly since we just put in a 110 x 210 riding ring.

First, I can tell you that unless you are capable of doing some of the work yourselves, it's damn near impossible to do a ring on the cheap. The excavation and grading are very expensive, and because they are probably the most important aspect of your ring, they need to be done right. If the slope is wrong, your footing will never be right. (And re footing: start with less than you think you will need. I put down 2" of sand and it is more than enough.) I would imagine that starting w/tilled land vs other won't be of any particular benefit.

Second, you would likely have a hard time getting grass to grow at this time of year. Planting really needs to be done in the spring or fall. Once the seed is down, the horses cannot be on it for several months. I know they say two months, but I'd allow closer to four to really give it a chance. Horses are so hard on their pastures - you will be surprised.

Third, you will be surprised how adaptable your horses are. They will not be bothered by farm equipment, and you will probably find that you worried far too much about them while boarding (I know I did!). I treated mine like delicate flowers / children. I don't anymore! lol

Last, expect pretty much any project you do to cost more than you thought it would and go over budget. I am of the opinion that at the end of the day, what you save in board, you spend on your property in maintenance / improvements / repairs. The rest goes to your hay and bedding suppliers. It's great having the horses at home, but it's a lot of work and the farm will be of considerable expense.

Comment

I'm the last person to ask about putting in pasture on former fields (even though that's exactly what my barn, paddock & pastures are built on).
                        Fields had been farmed the Summer before I bought the land, I just declined to renew the lease and had my barn built & fencing put up the following Spring.

If you heed the good advice here about establishing a pasture you s/b able to put horses on it by Year 2.
                        Or, like me, you can let them have at it right away and spend the next 8 years waiting for grass to get established to where I feed barely any hay as long as there's grass.

As for the equipment problem - it's not.
                        My pasture is right next to a filed still in use and the tilling, planting, dusting, harvesting, etc do not bother my horses a bit.

A neighbor makes hay from the narrow L-shaped field that surrounds my pastures - literally right along my fenceline - and the horses ignore the tractor, rake & baler as well as the team-effort to load the baled hay onto wagons.

Heck!
                        When I mow the pastures on my little riding mower they follow me hoping for the cuttings.
                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Working...
                        X