• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Speak to me of financing a house/barn on land already owned....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speak to me of financing a house/barn on land already owned....

So hubby and I *may* be gifted a beautiful piece of property by his parents. There is a house site and valid perc, but no home or any other improvements on the property.
    Does anyone have any insight into current practices regarding getting financing to build a home and possibly a barn on a piece of property that you already own outright? I know getting financing for the land/house combo can be difficult, but in my preliminary life-planning mode, I'm wondering what sort of challenges we may face should this come to pass.
    Thanks in advance!

home equity loans would be my first go-to. But you need to have enough equity in the property for them to loan you the $. Which may be doable in your case if you're gifted the property.

Comment

You will want to look into a construction loan. I'm in the process of building a house right now -- I actually did finance house/land together, it wasn't really an issue once I hooked up with a local experienced lender. Since you own the land outright, the value of the land is the downpayment on the construction loan. You also do not have to make payments during construction, but keep in mind interest does accrue, so faster is better as you will have to pay whatever that interest is when you move in.

Also, my construction loan will immediately roll over into a permanent mortgage once construction is complete. Construction loans generally have a higher interest rate (I think mine will be something like 5.25, so not horrible, then will drop to around 3.5 or something) which then changes as it rolls over. You will also need to find out if you or the builder will carry risk insurance during construction, investigate who will file the building permits (usually builder) and who will build the infrastructure (septic, well, sewer, whatever).

I had 3 choices for financing, my own state employees' credit union, a local bank, and Farm Credit (well, probably a larger national bank as well but I did not want that). I ended up choosing the local bank as Farm Credit wanted to significantly larger downpayment (although owning land probably makes that a moot point) and my credit union, while awesome, has higher interest rates.

So....there's some random info.
      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

My husband and I bought our land outright and then, when we were ready to build, we got a home equity loan (HEL) based on the value of the land. In order for this to work for you, you will have to get building estimates on your house construction to know whether you have enough value in the land to cover the amount of construction money you will need.

If you can cover your build this way it gives you more flexibility. Check in your area to be sure the details are the same, but in our case a construction loan would have been controlled by the bank - that is, they have to inspect the house at certain stages in order to release money for you to use. If you have an HEL you can use the money when you need to without the bank controlling its release. And like a regular mortgage, any interest paid on a home equity loan is deductible on your taxes. Plus you are only paying interest on the amount of the loan you have actually used (as you go along), rather than on the total amount you were approved for. And you could use money from the home equity loan to pay for horse-related building (sheds, fences, etc.) or other things, too.

Of course this works best if you have high enough land value to support a decent-sized home equity loan, coupled with relatively modest home construction needs!
        It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Comment

Mine worked as Wildlifer described.

Comment

The biggest money saver in building is no changes. Once the plan is finalized, and building starts you change nothing. Change orders ruin the timeline for the builder, the subcontractors, and cost time and money.
            You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Just make sure you will not need an appraisal at the end. We cannot get our 400K+ barn valued at much over 25K...

Comment

Originally posted by JanM View Post
                The biggest money saver in building is no changes. Once the plan is finalized, and building starts you change nothing. Change orders ruin the timeline for the builder, the subcontractors, and cost time and money.
                Well yes, but......

Change orders are not always the home builder deciding they want the wall moved three feet that way.

Change orders sometimes are necessary because of unforeseen conditions.

Comment

Yes Trub, but the people I know that built or totally remodeled houses had a pretty good handle on costs, but knew there could be over-runs because of unforeseen circumstances. However, one family changed the back wall of the house plan, enlarged a couple of closets, moved around the bathroom fixtures, added a feature or two to the garage, had to change the roofline to accommodate another change, and so on. There were minor construction glitches, but the huge cost over runs they had were their own fault. They really should have known better (they were in the remodeling business on a much smaller scale), and they did save on things like buying appliances from the cheaper retailers, but they still kept changing their minds, and it severely complicated things along the way. Even right after their house was finished they were saying what they would change if they could. I think some people (like my friends) would be better off buying existing houses, so they know exactly what they're getting. Indecisive people are not well suited to building or remodeling. However, I think with good planning, being realistic about budget, figuring out what you like in a house, and knowing exactly what you can afford, that you can come pretty close to your budget.

Going over budget is easy to do, and while remodeling after a fire I did the same thing-I call it the 'might as well as' syndrome. You're doing one fix, and because of that, you decide something is a good idea, and it affects a lot of things. I think people thought it was funny that I kept saying 'it's only money' or 'I might as well do this, because it's cheaper in the long run' but it did make sense.
                  You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Working...
                  X