• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to get rid of a skunk??? Kinda amusing UPDATE, for me, not the skunk!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Not funny at all.


    I feed the barn cats and each yr I have 3 or 4 baby skunks that come join them for dinner. So I am putting down plates while baby skunks run to me. They actually eat at my feet, and have never sprayed. I've stepped over one once when I thought it was the blk/wh cat, and still no spray.

    I even had one run after my car once, when I fed early and it saw my car leaving. THAT was funny...having a baby skunk running after your car.

    They would all leave when they were about 3 months old, and go look for their own territory. Apparently, skunks each like to get about 30 acres. I was worried the first yr that we'd have a huge population, but that hasn't been the case in 5 yrs.

    FWIW- The skunks never sprayed a person, a cat, in the barn, a horse, or in the tack room. I even had one go in the tack room that I needed to get out, and was trying to figure out how. I couldn't scare him, or he'd spray. So I sprayed my citronella fly spray above him, and apparently the skunk thought it smelled bad, and quickly hopped out of the tack room.
    Killing a skunk with a pitchfork...not funny...using their own defense (smelly spray) against them...pretty funny.

    And before someone wants to say something about Rabies...in my county, in 11 yrs of trapping/testing them, the State health dept has NEVER had a skunk test positive for Rabies. They test several hundred a yr. That may not be true for other counties/areas.

    Comment


    • #42
      Poor skunk. That's an awful way to die.

      Comment


      • #43
        Meh. Yawn.

        We've all posted about doing odd, impulsive things in our undies. Op's DH didn't intentionally torture the skunk, just killed it. Better than if he'd shot and missed and left it to crawl off and die. Better than trapping and relocating and leaving it to starve.

        I posted a story on here sometime ago about killing a groundhog. With a flame thrower, since I was unable to shoot or trap him. Perhaps I told it better, but nobody rushed to Puxatawny Phil's cousin's defense or said I was sick and twisted.

        I kill every stray cat I see on the property that has testicles and is an adult. My neighbor, who feeds about 30 feral cats next door thinks I'm awful.

        I don't care.

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
          ...I kill every stray cat I see on the property that has testicles and is an adult. My neighbor, who feeds about 30 feral cats next door thinks I'm awful
          I hope you have your flame suit zipped up good and tight...
          "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

          Comment


          • #45
            I'm so scorched I don't bother with the flame suit any more.

            Our county in KY, has an insane, feral cat problem. I have spent, over the last 10 years, probably at least $1500/yr on cats who do not belong to me. If they are little, I make friends, spay/neuter and they can hang around. If it's a juvenile, catch or trap, neuter and rehome take home. Within a 10 mile radius of my farm, the local shelter has a TNR program (trap neuter release) that trapped almost 200 cats last year. 200 and that's just in localized apartment complex type places where there is lots of food and trash. "Awwwh, the kitties are cute", totally uneducated population, that just dumps them. I've had over 20 baby kittens "dumped" in my barn over the last 5 or 6 years. We're on a dead end street and the barn is 15 feet from the road.. these things didn't get their on their own.

            If it's an adult male, chances are, it's fighting with "my" barn cats and I've spent over a grand each on my two neutered males, repairing fight damage. It's also pissing on my hay and everywhere else. Too smart to trap, to wild and aggressive to tame, they get a quick, merciful end.

            I don't like killing living things that are there because of the ignorance of adult humans. When I take the little ones to the vet, before we do anything else, we do a fe-luke test. I've had 5 positives of the 20 or so we've taken in. The clinic I deal with knows if they get a positive to just euth the poor thing.

            I didn't always eliminate the adult males, in fact, I had one that came to the barn, only in cold weather. Big, black, huge, he and the boys would growl at each other, but no fur flying. He knew what time the doors would shut for the night and was always up on his big beam by then. In the morning, I'd open the door, and he'd "sneak" out, while I was cleaning stalls. Year 4, a female took up residence that he kept company with, just hanging out within a few feet of her. She was very affectionate and he'd get closer and closer to me, but would not allow me to touch him. He showed up one day, quite injured, looked like he'd been hit by a car. I did what I needed to do and buried him out back. I'm not heartless, and I don't miss. I've got scars from trying to handle the big, wild males, even with long sleeves and leather gloves. There are just too many and they're just too aggressive.

            We've had, at any given time, between 3 and 5 barn cats, though the number seems to be holding at 3 for right now. The lady next farm over feeds nearly 30 and she can only touch about 3 of them. If people would stop feeding them, natural selection would start to kick in and there would be a few less, or I hope there would. I hate it when I see them killing the baby bunnies. Domestic cats are not an indigenous species to North America.

            As much as I love my cats, the feral ones around here are no less a nuisance and no less destructive than the possums, coons and groundhogs. I treat them pretty much the same.

            Comment


            • #46
              I do hear your post - but even world class shooters do not get a bull's eye every time.

              Feral cats are a problem, killing birds as well as vermin. Sounds like you do what you can with what you've got. I've not got my flame suit on, even though I hate killing.
              Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

              Comment


              • #47
                I think that is the point -- most of us who live on farms have had to kill some form of wildlife at some point. Most of us do so reluctantly, and are sad that it came to a bad end. We don't think it's funny. I have had to shoot one coyote that was in my yard, not acting right, not scared. I hated to do it, but felt i had no choice. I love hearing the coyotes sing at night ... Snarling in my backyard, not so much.

                Comment


                • #48
                  King's Ransom--we all see the point of eliminating wildlife that is damaging our livestock or sick and dangerous. The OP (and 2ndyr to some degree) exhibited a callous disregard and glee in the killing of a skunk--whose only sin seemed to be its existence on her farm. A careful shot to dispatch an injured or ill animal, or to protect livestock from imminent attack is one thing, but a scorched earth policy on the acres you own seems overly cruel.
                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    it isn't that I'm a crack shot

                    but because of where our farm is (right next to I-75) I have to be extremely careful which direction I'm shooting. I either have to aim completely away from the freeway (also a challenge because there is not only our house, but the neighbor's) or make sure there is something solid behind what I'm aiming at. As a result of this, I seldom take any shots from more than 20 feet, and I almost never shoot at anything that's moving. My rifle has been sighted in for my vision and it has a scope. There is generally something to "brace" the rifle on, so while it isn't impossible to miss, on the couple of occasions I did miss, I missed completely. For good or bad, most of the varmints, if they don't run away, sit still and stare. Doesn't make it easier on the soul, but it does make it easier to do.

                    It's just a part of life out here, but I'd be devastated if I wounded something and wasn't able to finish it. I don't like anything to suffer.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Must be a geographical attitude. Hardly anybody up here even has a gun...well, a legal gun, that is.
                      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        I thought Canada was full of hunters?

                        Maybe wrong.

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Calvincrowe, I am in agreement with you. I think what is offensive about the skunk story is really not so much that the skunk was dispatched (though, if he were running away, why not let him?) but that most of us do not think it's funny.

                          I do try to take a "live and let live" attitude with wildlife, and on the few occasions where that just didn't work out, I was sad. Killing a living creature is not funny.

                          I will admit that the image of an adult male stepping outside at 3 a.m. in his skivvies -- for any reason -- is somewhat amusing. Add in the skunk spraying of a skivvy-clad man at 3 a.m., and you've got yourself a situation comedy.

                          Pitch forking and shovel-smashing a skunk? Not funny.

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Originally posted by King's Ransom View Post

                            Pitch forking and shovel-smashing a skunk? Not funny.
                            ^^^^^^^this. Amusing? Not in the slightest.
                            Come to the dark side, we have cookies

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              While a lot of people hunt here in Canada, some of us don't see the need to be trigger happy with everything from Grizzleys to big horn sheep. But my husband was raised on wild meat - his dad was a gyppo logger and with a family of nine people to feed, miles from anywhere, your wild meat, garden and preserves was what they did to live.

                              So many people live in cities and think that a trip in the fall to go drinking and hunting is a very macho thing to do, with bragging rights when they come home.

                              This month (June) there is a gun amnesty - they will come and pick up your gun, no questions asked. But for the normal hunting guy, no problem.
                              Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                There are three current threads that show what I hope is the attitude of the majority of COTH'ers

                                - snapping turtles, the robins egg, and the feral kittens.

                                I love the sight of wildlife and feel flattered when they show up.

                                P.S. I've not seen the weasel recently - maybe he is full and gone hunting elsewhere.
                                Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                                  Not funny at all.


                                  I feed the barn cats and each yr I have 3 or 4 baby skunks that come join them for dinner. So I am putting down plates while baby skunks run to me. They actually eat at my feet, and have never sprayed. I've stepped over one once when I thought it was the blk/wh cat, and still no spray.

                                  I even had one run after my car once, when I fed early and it saw my car leaving. THAT was funny...having a baby skunk running after your car.

                                  They would all leave when they were about 3 months old, and go look for their own territory. Apparently, skunks each like to get about 30 acres. I was worried the first yr that we'd have a huge population, but that hasn't been the case in 5 yrs.

                                  FWIW- The skunks never sprayed a person, a cat, in the barn, a horse, or in the tack room. I even had one go in the tack room that I needed to get out, and was trying to figure out how. I couldn't scare him, or he'd spray. So I sprayed my citronella fly spray above him, and apparently the skunk thought it smelled bad, and quickly hopped out of the tack room.
                                  Killing a skunk with a pitchfork...not funny...using their own defense (smelly spray) against them...pretty funny.

                                  And before someone wants to say something about Rabies...in my county, in 11 yrs of trapping/testing them, the State health dept has NEVER had a skunk test positive for Rabies. They test several hundred a yr. That may not be true for other counties/areas.
                                  You know in all the years I have lived out in the woods, I have NEVER seen a baby skunk.. Adults, sure in the summer. but never babies.
                                  It is funny, the cats seem to know they are not cats!
                                  I wonder if the reason you got babies coming to your barn was because ma was hit or killed!
                                  They only spray if they are truly threatened. I have had one in the yard at night and sort of clapped my hands and they waddle back to the woods.
                                  I could never stab one.

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    looking at it from the psychology of stabbing and bludgeoning anything to death, it becomes even LESS amusing..........

                                    stabbing and beating are two very "personal" methods of killing....you have to be up close and personal to make it happen,whereas shooting allows one to be more detached from the action and the consequences....it becomes more of "the gun did it" rationalization, and is a much easier method to dispense..once the impulse of squeezing the trigger and the bullet is released, it is out of the shooter's control...........but with stabbing/beating, every blow is personally intentional, and the one inflicting the damage has the option of staying their hand at every blow.........you have ,literally, caused death by your own hand..........not to mention the volume and duration of rage required for these actions......
                                    I just don't SEE HOW a skunk, whose worst offense of spraying is not deadly, can illicit such a violent and protracted response from someone whose physical well-being was not threatened by the skunk..ever

                                    not funny, and in addition, an over the top, anti-social reaction

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                                      Our county in KY, has an insane, feral cat problem. I have spent, over the last 10 years, probably at least $1500/yr on cats who do not belong to me. If they are little, I make friends, spay/neuter and they can hang around. If it's a juvenile, catch or trap, neuter and rehome take home. Within a 10 mile radius of my farm, the local shelter has a TNR program (trap neuter release) that trapped almost 200 cats last year. 200 and that's just in localized apartment complex type places where there is lots of food and trash. "Awwwh, the kitties are cute", totally uneducated population, that just dumps them. I've had over 20 baby kittens "dumped" in my barn over the last 5 or 6 years. We're on a dead end street and the barn is 15 feet from the road.. these things didn't get their on their own.

                                      If it's an adult male, chances are, it's fighting with "my" barn cats and I've spent over a grand each on my two neutered males, repairing fight damage. It's also pissing on my hay and everywhere else. Too smart to trap, to wild and aggressive to tame, they get a quick, merciful end.

                                      I don't like killing living things that are there because of the ignorance of adult humans. When I take the little ones to the vet, before we do anything else, we do a fe-luke test. I've had 5 positives of the 20 or so we've taken in. The clinic I deal with knows if they get a positive to just euth the poor thing.

                                      I didn't always eliminate the adult males, in fact, I had one that came to the barn, only in cold weather. Big, black, huge, he and the boys would growl at each other, but no fur flying. He knew what time the doors would shut for the night and was always up on his big beam by then. In the morning, I'd open the door, and he'd "sneak" out, while I was cleaning stalls. Year 4, a female took up residence that he kept company with, just hanging out within a few feet of her. She was very affectionate and he'd get closer and closer to me, but would not allow me to touch him. He showed up one day, quite injured, looked like he'd been hit by a car. I did what I needed to do and buried him out back. I'm not heartless, and I don't miss. I've got scars from trying to handle the big, wild males, even with long sleeves and leather gloves. There are just too many and they're just too aggressive.

                                      We've had, at any given time, between 3 and 5 barn cats, though the number seems to be holding at 3 for right now. The lady next farm over feeds nearly 30 and she can only touch about 3 of them. If people would stop feeding them, natural selection would start to kick in and there would be a few less, or I hope there would. I hate it when I see them killing the baby bunnies. Domestic cats are not an indigenous species to North America.

                                      As much as I love my cats, the feral ones around here are no less a nuisance and no less destructive than the possums, coons and groundhogs. I treat them pretty much the same.
                                      I dont' fault you at all. The rampant problem thanks in part to all those idiot people who say Oh just one litter... aGH
                                      From what I have read large Feral colonies are doing a serious job on some bird populations.
                                      And I am a cat person, But nothing of mine has ever not been spayed or neutered.

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        We have trapped and subsequently released or shot skunks that have taken up personal residences in areas that simply aren't compatible with our lifestyle... such as under our house or in our woodshed (that we go to every day) or in the milk house in the farm (that'll teach you to leave the door open...). My FIL usually traps/releases them and my DH usually shoots them as they exit the trap from a close distance (so he doesn't miss).

                                        Neither would EVER dream of stabbing and bludgeoning a skunk to death. It really couldn't had been that quick if he stabbed it and then had to go back for a shovel or what have you to 'finish it off.'

                                        sad. very sad.

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          I have peeps at my barn, they lay eggs every where including my old horse's stall. I knew a skunk would show up and find any eggs eat and leave each night. He would wait till I shut the horse in for the night. One night was a bit late and went in to feed and realized that black blob under my horses feed bucket was not a hen. So started to yell at it OUT, and get out now! My horse must of realized was off my rocker and stayed put. Out the skunk went, it never sprayed me and not sure if I used a broom to get it out of the stall that night. Never once thought it would spray me. I figured if left a egg out it was fair game, but not in my horses stall. Sort of miss that skunk. I never thought of it as a problem. Honest think they are hard to trap but heard they love baked beans. Never trapped one when I was on the war path on a coon or ground hog.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X