• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Keep boarding or bring home? WWYD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep boarding or bring home? WWYD?

I'm in a quandry and I need to make up my mind soon, because I need to decide on hay and/or get my name on the boarding list.

I currently have one horse--out for 90 days training (through June). She was boarded about 45 minutes from my farm, which sucks to get to, but there might be some advantages to riding a green bean with others around later this summer. However, I know I can ride more if she is here. I can do it before work, etc. I'm pretty motivated.

We bought an acreage last fall and I am seeding 1/2 of it (new) this spring. There is an existing 2 acre field that I was going to reseed a few areas of, but 90% is in great shape. All of the fencing needs to come down and be redone everywhere--which we haven't had the weather to do yet. I also don't have water lines done (although he's coming to give me a bid today) or shelter built (but there is a huge shelter belt of trees) or anything really ready.

I am thinking I will go back to boarding for July - late fall. I want to give the grass time to establish and get the pressure off of us to find grazing buddies (although I have had an elderly mare buddy volunteered already), and get everything ready. But maybe it is better to leave the pasture alone for a whole year? Also, I never ride much Dec-March, so an indoor just isn't a big deal.

Now add in the wrinkle that I am breeding her once probably the end of June with a dose of frozen I have left, so she may or may not be pregnant. Do I bring her home this fall or wait a full year? Just build a dry lot for winter, early spring and worry about fencing the rest next year? It is cheaper in my case to have her home than to board. Plus I want her home. But we have sooo much to do on this place (roofing a shed, siding the house, etc.)

I need to make up my mind. Ugh.

What would you do? Maybe I buy 5 months worth of hay regardless--I can probably sell it next winter/spring if I don't use it. I wish I knew if she were going to be pregnant...
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

It's been my experience that if you bring them home before you are "done" you will never get done. That is unless you have bucketloads of money. Winter and the rainy season can make a small "not quite done" area turn into a real mess. And motivated or not you'll have to spend quite a bit of time on farm chores, time that may cut into your available riding time.

So now you just have to decide what your budget will allow.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

Do you only have one horse? I found my mare had issues even in a co-op barn alone but near other horses. I'd board, take your time fixing the place up, and bring her home only when ready, and have a pasture,companion of some sort.

Comment

I would bring her home ;-) Besides the fact that I love having my horses at home, you will be able to have more opportunities to ride without the 45 minute drive up and 45 minute drive back. That's nice after you just sent her for training and want to keep her tuned up. You can use the extra-no-longer-board money to get your shelter up before winter, summer wouldn't bother me if you have trees. I wouldn't worry about 10% of your grass being new, I'd keep her off in the spring while it's still baby grass but this summer should be fine. Plus, a green bean that learns to ride alone turns into a good horse that rides alone without issues, that's a huge plus right there.
        Kerri

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
          It's been my experience that if you bring them home before you are "done" you will never get done.
          I second this, also from experience. It'll be "done enough", but not ideal in any way.

And you never know what hiccups you can experience (with your water lines, shelter, etc). I gave my notice to bring my last horse home at the end of the month, thinking I'd easily have his stall mats in and ready for him by then. Now I'm panicking because low and behold, I cannot find an appropriate base for under the mats. It's going to be cutting it close and he may have to live outside for a few days.

Comment

Bring her home.

I brought mine home as soon as we closed on the farm. No pastures, no stalls, etc... just a small lot that was fenced with no-climb wire and used as yard for dogs. A month later we are almost done with fance and will be turning them out in the pasture asap. Granted it's taken us a while to get everything in order because alot of time is spent on just doing the 'have to's and we rarely get inside before 8:30 at night. But it's also taking us so long to get everything done because we are doing it the right way first, stalls are next on the 'to do' list. My mare was 2 weeks from foaling when we moved them.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by morganpony86 View Post
              I second this, also from experience. It'll be "done enough", but not ideal in any way.

And you never know what hiccups you can experience (with your water lines, shelter, etc). I gave my notice to bring my last horse home at the end of the month, thinking I'd easily have his stall mats in and ready for him by then. Now I'm panicking because low and behold, I cannot find an appropriate base for under the mats. It's going to be cutting it close and he may have to live outside for a few days.
              Mine live outside all the time--unless they are boarded/in training With shelter of course.

I am really worried about the not-getting-it-done-first aspect. We have so much work to do on the house still (90% done inside now but the outside is in dire need of attention).

I do have a buddy available whenever I want her, btw. I am going to get a donkey too, just so the buddy isn't left behind when I go places. And because I really want a donkey.

I think what I'm going to do (typing it out helped me work through it quite a bit) is check out a boarding barn that is 15 miles south. It is more expensive than the other one, and doesn't look nearly as nice (no outdoors for one thing) but it is a lot closer. When I inquired a couple years ago, they fed straight alfalfa for some reason and I'm not too keen on that (or clear on why). If I don't like it when I visit, I go back to the original barn. Who has a waiting list. Eeek.

If I get enough done, then we can bring her home.

I'm still on the fence if it is stupid to buy some hay on the chance we don't succeed. I just like the flexibility of knowing I can bring her home if I want to, but maybe that is quite dumb...how old is too old for hay? If I buy it in July can I feed it next fall?

I am going to have a fancy autowaterer and no fence put up or animals (and you can see it from the highway). Awesome. I will make sure to post a picture. It will be like a piece of horsey art.
              Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; May. 3, 2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

We bought our farm with no fencing and no water ( spigot at house only) and brought all our animals in on the same day. We had massive barns though to house them all. When the animals are home I find you make getting their living quarters done a huge priority.

Comment

Since you have just put 90 days of training into her, it would seem reasonable that you would want to build on that foundation and ride as much as you can-right now. Have you ridden her while she's been in training? Does the trainer think she'll ( and you) be fine out by your lonesome? Are you trail riding, or did you mean to do something else with her?

As for breeding. Do you have a place where the vet can check her? Spec, inseminate, check in foal? Are you going to let her foal in the pasture? What if something goes wrong? Where will you put them? Will either of the boarding barns take in -foal mares? More questions than answers. Your new place sounds great, though!

Comment

I brought my guys home before my fencing was up - but I had an indoor to turn out in and fencing was up (with one delay from the fence guys) within a month. They survived w/o pasture for that time.

IIWM, I'd buy the hay - it is easily good for over a year if stored right < out of the weather on pallets.
                    That way if you chose to move your mare to the barn that feeds alfalfa you could arrange to feed your own hay (if they'd agree to that).

I'm not the person to ask about getting things done perfectly - I tend to go with Good Enough & Workable over picture-perfect.

Like olddogs asked I'd want to know how comfortable you are with having the mare foal out at home instead of a facility - boarding barn or repro place.
                    I'm assuming you have experience with it since you mentioned AI (leftover frozen).
                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

If you bring her home make sure you have a companion for her. I brought my mare home alone and boy was she unhappy! Bolted out of her stall one night in search of equine companionship. Fortunately, my friend loaned me a companion pony and she was content after we moved the pony in.

Comment

I would personally just wait until a few more things are done around the farm but either way buying some hay is a good idea in my opinion. As you say, you can always resell it. My biggest piece of advice before bringing your horse home is to go on a long vacation ahead of time!!! Even with house sitters you'll never have that glorious freedom again (Not that I would trade any vacation for being able to see my horse from any window in my house or for being able to control every single thing going into his mouth or on his body - control freak? Yes! When it comes to my horse). Good luck! And so exciting

Comment

I would leave her at the boarding/training barn for now. Get your farm set up a little better before bringing her back, especially if she is in foal. You will need a foaling stall and fencing that is foal safe. There are plenty of companies that make premade stalls/run in sheds that they bring out and drop already constructed, not the cheapest route but the easiest, if you got the run in shed style you could always close in part of the front to make it more of a stall. Get the hay and get your place set up better for a mare and foal (or mare and friend, since you cannot have just one horse at home).
                          "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

Comment

• Original Poster

Hopefully I hit everyone's questions:

I was never intending to foal out at home. I used the vet clinic last time and would do that again. It is just worth it to me for peace of mind. Then if there are issues they are already there. And I don't loose a ton of sleep. I'm a worrier.

I was never going to bring her home alone (mentioned that in an intial thread).

Yes, I know about safe foal fencing requirements--I agree that is a must.

Yes, I have ridden her once. She was two weeks under saddle (week and a half ago). I am trying to get there every other week (it is far). She's ridiculously laid back, so far, but I know she will have her moments in the future. We are taking her to a dressage show in June (walk trot). And he is working towards trail riding her (like I said, just started under saddle).

I don't really trail ride, I mean I will if there are friends going, and I will hack down the road or something, but I don't haul somewhere by myself to trail ride. I do believe in working a young horse out of the arena as much as possible though. Assuming she's not in foal, we will just focus on easy flat work for the rest of the summer, the farm we're going to is 100 acres so we can "trail ride" there (river bluffs) and she will get the winter off from probably Christmas-April.

I actually logged on to share that I just spoke to the barn I was at before and reserved a stall for July 1. I can't tell you how RELIEVED I feel!!!! I just feel like this huge weight is off.

I know it is farther, but she takes good care of her and I just want to be somewhere I know they do a good job. Also, an acquaintance is moving back and contacted me Saturday about boarding there too, so I may have an English buddy to ride with (yay). With two riders we can possibly get the dressage clinician that comes through to stop by for lessons (instead of me hauling 4 hours in a weekend). While I won't get to ride as much, at least I will have people around if I get bucked off.

If prices are reasonable this year, I think I may still buy 180 bales which would get me through December to May....just in case.

Comment

Working...
                            X