• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

That cat isn't ours!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Well, the kitteh isn't here this morning

Last night I gave him food and a litter box in my tack room, but the walls don't go all the way to the actual ceiling. The ceiling is 9' and the walls on two sides go to about 8'. After I closed him in for about 10 minutes, he reappeared outside the tack room, so apparently he is an escape artist who can successfully jump down 8' from the ceiling. I didn't try to lock him in again, because apparently that wasn't going to work. When I came back this morning, kitteh wasn't here to greet me. I haven't seen him yet today.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Well, it IS Spring & the luvvin season with hormones a-raging. He may very likely return soon looking for a cigarette & a brandy.

Comment

I bet he shows up again as soon as the coast is clear.

Comment

• Original Poster

Maybe...

I'm sad...I was looking forward to having the kitteh around. Although, he used up one of his nine lives on Friday night when he followed me into the horse pasture and while I was feeding my mare, he walked UNDER my gelding in an attempt to rub on the back of my gelding's front legs...I have never seen a horse make an attempt with EVERY foot to stomp a cat into the ground...poor kitty is lucky he isn't dead...it was pure luck that he didn't get stomped because Jet couldn't get his aim down, and when I ran over the kitty ran; otherwise, little kitty was just standing there with not a care in the world, not a clue that he almost just died because the horse hated him! Then, he proceeded to walk over to my mare and do the same thing to her...lucky for him, she doesn't get a thrill over trying to kill cats! Yikes!

Comment

SforH:
            He may return - food is a powerful incentive.
            Locking him in anyplace with walls that do not go all the way up will not work.
            You need to cage him, then prepare for the fact that once neutered, he may adios for a while if not forever.
            If you want a barn cat check your local shelter.
            Ours has a program specifically for rehoming ferals as barn cats.

LOL on your near-death-by-horse story.
            I once found my bitty barnkitten hanging from my TWH's tail.
            One swish and she would have been launched into space, if not brained on something solid.

Hope your stray boy comes back, gets de-nutted & sticks around.
            *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
            Steppin' Out 1988-2004
            Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
            Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't really need a barn cat, my parents have two other cats on the property, but they are fat lazy house cats that have apparently decided that hunting mice is beneath them. They go out for like an hour each day and then are back in sleeping on the couch.

I would feel bad if any kitteh got killed by my horse...I'll hold off on getting a barn cat on purpose. If this guy comes back around, I'll try to get him to stay, but I won't purposefully go get a kitty.

Comment

You can band a male cats berries. They do that with cows, sheep, etc.

Hold him down and put a band on those berries. Cheap. You can use a rubber band. Make sure it is tight.

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post

Hold him down and put a band on those berries. Cheap. You can use a rubber band. Make sure it is tight.
                  I'm not going to go into all of the MANY reasons why one SHOULD NOT DO THIS.

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Whoa, I just happened across my thread again and saw this:

No worries, I would NEVER neuter a cat this way!

Comment

I would neuter this way. No worries.

So now he is out spraying and making more babies. No worries.

Whoa. More babies. SO WHAT.

A vet here in our rural area takes the male cat, puts him face down in a boot, and plucks his berry fur, then neuters him, then sends him on his way. No drugs. This is for barn cats. The cat you mention IS A BARN CAT. She does this for $5 with the purchase of a farm call. Or it could be free, I forget. But she does. Whoa. No worries.

Banding works for other farm animals. Whoa.

You were wanting to go the cheap route, this is a cheap route. Whoa.

You want some kittens??? I have a friend who right now has 3 female cats - barn cat type - 2 have litters 6 each, and one is due any day. She can't "afford" to spay them, so what can she do? Let them make more, of course. Whoa. No worries.

Comment

You are woefully ignorant. Please don't recommend practices that you know nothing about - your "rural, cat-in-boot, no drugs vet" notwithstanding.

Yes, banding is still used on certain farm animals - sheep & goats in particular - although the method has lost favor in recent times. However, sheep & goats are decidedly NOT dogs & cats, which have different, & more delicate, vascular systems "down there". BIG DIFFERENCE, & one that can mean the difference between a healthy, hygienic, pain-free, quick surgical moment, and/or an agonizingly painful, long & drawn out, quite possibly infectious situation.

"Barn cat" or housecat, I know which situation I'd choose, & it certainly isn't your backwoods "Lil Abner" route.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
                          You are woefully ignorant.
                          Don't you mean "whoafully"?

Comment

Originally posted by ynl063w View Post
                            Don't you mean "whoafully"?
                            You're right. That should have been "whoafully". Lol!

Comment

I would neuter this way. No worries.

A vet here in our rural area takes the male cat, puts him face down in a boot, and plucks his berry fur, then neuters him, then sends him on his way. No drugs. This is for barn cats. The cat you mention IS A BARN CAT. She does this for $5 with the purchase of a farm call. Or it could be free, I forget. But she does. Whoa. No worries.

You were wanting to go the cheap route, this is a cheap route. Whoa.

You want some kittens??? I have a friend who right now has 3 female cats - barn cat type - 2 have litters 6 each, and one is due any day. She can't "afford" to spay them, so what can she do? Let them make more, of course. Whoa. No worries.
                              Barn cats deserve quality and appropriate veterinary care every bit as much as a house cat does. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would let that vet near one of my animals. Ever. Such a vet has no business practicing, and deserves to have their license revoked.
                              Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

In my county Animal Control would be involved if they found out someone was neutering cats with a rubber band.

Comment

Um, maybe I read a different thread than you did.
                                  The OP was willing to pay her vet to neuter this cat. Her vet had quoted her a wonderfully cheap price and was going to do the neuter. The cat left before it could be neutered.

No fault of the OP and the OP not caring if the cat went out and sprayed and made more babies.

The OP was going to do the right thing the right way.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                                    Um, maybe I read a different thread than you did.
                                    The OP was willing to pay her vet to neuter this cat. Her vet had quoted her a wonderfully cheap price and was going to do the neuter. The cat left before it could be neutered.

No fault of the OP and the OP not caring if the cat went out and sprayed and made more babies.

The OP was going to do the right thing the right way.
                                    I didn't willingly let the little stud muffin go with his nuts...he didn't stick around long enough for me to get him neutered the CORRECT way by my vet. Had he been there on Saturday morning, the little guy would've woken up from sleepytown without the family jewels.

Furthermore,
                                    The cat you mention IS A BARN CAT.
                                    What the hell is your point? That its okay to neuter a barn cat with his head stuck in a boot but if it was a house cat I should take it to the vet for the procedure?

Comment

FYI

Home : News : Crime Checker : Anne Arundel Crime :
                                      Police: Man tries to neuter his dog

SEVERN, Md. - Police say charges are pending against the owner of a golden retriever puppy who they say caused serious injury to the dog when he tried to neuter him at home.

On Friday, April 13 an anonymous caller told police that residents in the 8000-block of Sebring Court were attempting to neuter their dog.

An Animal Control Officer arrived at the home and found 4-month-old "Cola" with a rubber band wrapped around his testicles. The skin around the band was red and irritated, police say.

Cola was seized and taken to the Greater Annapolis Veterinary Hospital. The doctors offered to treat Cola pro-bono. They completed the neuter and treated Cola for an internal infection.

Police say charges are pending against Cola's owners. Cola is now in foster care.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/cri...#ixzz2S95sDUFg

Comment

Originally posted by judmor View Post
                                        FYI

Home : News : Crime Checker : Anne Arundel Crime :
                                        Police: Man tries to neuter his dog

SEVERN, Md. - Police say charges are pending against the owner of a golden retriever puppy who they say caused serious injury to the dog when he tried to neuter him at home.

On Friday, April 13 an anonymous caller told police that residents in the 8000-block of Sebring Court were attempting to neuter their dog.

An Animal Control Officer arrived at the home and found 4-month-old "Cola" with a rubber band wrapped around his testicles. The skin around the band was red and irritated, police say.

Cola was seized and taken to the Greater Annapolis Veterinary Hospital. The doctors offered to treat Cola pro-bono. They completed the neuter and treated Cola for an internal infection.

Police say charges are pending against Cola's owners. Cola is now in foster care.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/cri...#ixzz2S95sDUFg
                                        Good Lord. The "Lil Abners" are everywhere.

Comment

Hm, I recall a guy passing himself off as a vet who neutered animals. I thought the legal consensus was he could only be prosecuted for performing surgery on other people's pets, but not his own. And my take is many people do vet stuff on their own horses that would be illegal to do on others, or maybe I'm getting that confused with advising others.

Comment

Working...
                                          X