• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ohh, help! Ethical dilemma about our well.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up in a house that initially had a shared well. It was part of a "gentleman farmer's" dairy farm that had been subdivided in the 50s. 3 houses (the original farm manager's house, the origianl boarding house for the hired hands (our house) and a big dairy barn that had been converted into a house) shared the well.

When we bought the house, the bank refused to grant a mortgage unless the house had its own well (this was after an extended drought, and many area wells were going dry). Since the contract had a contingency for getting a mortgage, the sellers had to put in a new well (though the house was, and still is, still connected to the original well if you just open one tap.)

So, in addition to the county/state rules, and your own concerns, you need to think about what the banks will accept.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I doubt we would - ours also sits in the pasture and would hate to have it dug up and move horses around. I would also worry if it came back pos. for contamination, they would try and blame us since it is in the field. I would also worry in a drought about their usage or how they would handle the "high" usage by us for animals

As one person pointed out, it normally cannot be unshared. It could drop your property value as there will be a sect that would be turned off to a shared agreement. Also, who knows how long they will stay and what new owners would be like to deal with. I don't know how an formal agreement as someone said they had would be transferred or enforced with new owners
      Epona Farm
      Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

It might also make it harder for you to sell the property in the future as potential buyers might not like the idea.
        "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

I have a good well, one neighbor has a good well, that I witched for them.
          Both wells are connected, but each one is using our own well.

Over the years, they have put in miles of sorry water lines, that leak and keep their well overworking and every so often failing.
          Then they use my well, on the same bad lines.

I don't mind helping them out at all, but I am glad when they get their well fixed and mine cut off servicing their lines.

You have to think that any one else's uses of your well may, for many reasons, not be quite what you consider good water management and if so, how can you "ungift" that use?
          Not so easy, especially with something as important as water.

Definitively do run that idea thru a local attorney well versed in real estate law in your area.
          My guess is he will be at any such idea, but who knows.
          Give that a try so you have more to go by.

Comment

If you share a well with them will you owe them a legal "duty of care" to prevent it from becoming contaminated? What if the bacteria count gets high and the finger is pointed at your horses?

It is tempting to be nice and helpful in this situation and it might all go well for years and years but it could also go very badly.

Comment

Sounds like a good example of 'no good deed goes unpunished' depending on the legal situation, future water flow, and the current or future owners and their attitudes. I can see how it would work, but I can also agree with others that it could go very badly for everyone involved. It's nice to be helpful, but I don't think this is your responsibility.
              You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

NO! I would not share, your well is good now, what about if it becomes spotty? There are just SO many things that could go bad in a share situation like this.

Don't do it. You may end up REALLY regretting it.

The young couple should have looked into the water issue better before they purchased the property (heck, and they probably paid less for the property without water in place). That is their problem not yours.

I am usually one for helping a neighbor. I live in a very small town, I get it. But I also come from the west - water is a BIG DEAL. I would not risk my water source for a neighbor.
                APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I second the cistern vote. I capture rainwater and get enough (4000 Imp gallons) to do both the house and barn for winter although I do make every drop count. For drinking? Yep, just boil it and it's fine. An added bonus to using rainwater - it makes wonderful coffee and tea. The only provisal is allow the rain to wash the roof before turning the downspouts to the cistern to prevent sludge from forming at the bottom.

Suggest they look into it. You can get cisterns in assorted sizes and if they wish, two, one for rainwater and a smaller one to haul drinking water to. Cistern will have to be below the frost line and will need a pressure system.
                  Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

I wouldn't either. Having had an underground water line break on my property two summers ago and having it drain my well dry, I wouldn't feel comfortable having additional lines tagged into my well that may have the same type of failure. It doesn't necessarily have to be their usage that causes problems but sometimes, there is water loss in areas you can't see. It's your electricity that runs the pump too. Which means that their use may impact your other utility bills. Too risky for me.

IMHO, they had to know that they would have to drill a well when they bought the property and thought to build so it's clearly a risk they were willing to take. Now, this risk is not producing any results. That doesn't mean that they have the right to transfer this risk onto anyone else. Tough pill to swallow but that's life. They can either keep trying for water, find an alternative water supply method that doesn't involve you or cut their losses.

Comment

No way would I share a well! Even with our good well at our old farm we did have to be careful with water usage during one extended drought. My neighbor from across the road would occasionally come over and get jugs of drinking water from our well (his was sulfur water-Ick!) but that's quite different from regular usage.

As much as I loved the taste of our well water, I'm now a fan of county water. A couple of drought years and the ice storm (no power=no water if on a well) convinced me that paying for water is a good thing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your helpful and thoughtful answers! I still don't know if this is why they want to "have a talk" with us. But we bought our property with no well and I know that is a risk we took--a "test well" costs almost as much as digging one for real, and, well, we gambled just like these folks are gambling. We got lucky! Our water is excellent and is even naturally slightly fluoridated!

There is a large parcel of land--almost 50 acres--that is in back of theirs. Maybe I'll suggest they talk to THAT landowner (who only hunts and does crops on his piece) about sinking a well.
                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                          Thank you all so much for your helpful and thoughtful answers! I still don't know if this is why they want to "have a talk" with us. But we bought our property with no well and I know that is a risk we took--a "test well" costs almost as much as digging one for real, and, well, we gambled just like these folks are gambling. We got lucky! Our water is excellent and is even naturally slightly fluoridated!

There is a large parcel of land--almost 50 acres--that is in back of theirs. Maybe I'll suggest they talk to THAT landowner (who only hunts and does crops on his piece) about sinking a well.
                          Now, if it does come to be that they want to talk about using your well, your idea of reflecting them to the other neighbor is thinking out of the box and a good way to say not really, try where that may make more sense, as in the situation you describe with that other neighbor and his use of that land.

As for cisterns and such, well, only works if and when it rains.
                          That would not work here at all.
                          Some years we have been getting 3 1/2" of rain IN ONE YEAR.
                          Won't fill much from that.

Comment

• Original Poster

Does snowfall count for filling cisterns? If so, we're covered in spades, at 50-80 inches per year.

As I said, I don't THINK cisterns are acceptable as a primary water source. Without a well or city water, no building permit.
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

Are they not hitting water at all or just not enough water when they drill? Because if it is not enough they can combine the two thoughts. Pump water slowly (at a rate that the well can accommodate) into a holding tank of some sort and that will store water to be used at a higher rate.

Comment

I doubt cisterns will be legal either, at least for human consumption.
                                You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

why don't you just give them your house while you are at it to save them some expense? just kidding. don't share.

Comment

Another possible issue to keep in mind is that well pumps can and do go out...and replacing pump motors and labor can be very pricey. Sure, you could have dual repair responsibilities written into a contract, but if the time should come for repair/replacement, would this young family be in the position to fork over their share?

This sort of thing happened to us, way back when we lived in Iowa, with eight properties on a community well. The pump went out and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, a couple owners couldn't cough up the cash, and the rest of us were saddled with their share. It didn't make for warm fuzzies in the neighborhood.
                                    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
                                    <><

Comment

Originally posted by FreshAir View Post
                                      why don't you just give them your house while you are at it to save them some expense? just kidding. don't share.
                                      Many years ago Progressive Farmer had a story of a piece of land being auctioned on the sheriff's steps.
                                      That land was landlocked without ingress/outgress and some of it was on a low spot that held water, so it's use would have been minimal for anyone not other than the neighbors.
                                      Those neighbors were bidding on that land and some stranger decided if they wanted it, it was worth more and got it bought, expecting someone would give him an easement.

Well, that didn't happen and finally that land again was sold as a sheriff's sale and bought by a neighbor.

Sounds like these people either thought it was very cheap, not realizing land generally has a price for a reason and lack of a good existing well was one there, or were completely clueless land buyers.

Whatever reason, I don't think it may be sensible to want to bail them out with something as critical as the use of a well for someone you don't know or may sell once it has water and no telling what the next neighbor may consider prudent water use.
                                      They sure won't be tied in by any this neighbor told you or acts like.

I would think that this situation is one of those where people have to learn by experiences, some times bad ones.

If your neighbor's house burns down, you help without being asked.
                                      We have plenty of those with our prairie fires.

If someone makes questionable decisions like they did buying that land on a gamble and ask for help that demands so much of you, the right and accommodation to use your well, then you may consider if you are not really helping, but enabling and will they keep making questionable decisions?

Comment

Maybe they want to meet to offer you an opportunity to expand to an 18 acre mini farm.....

Until I read your post about you buying not knowing whether or not you'd have water I was going to say I am surprised they can't get out of the purchase somehow. But I guess that's a risk you take. A piece of property near me has the world's prettiest driveway. And it ends in a giant piece of ledge. They were not able to build where they wanted and 10 years later it is still unbuilt.

I would share ONLY if you had an ironclad contract about usage/fees etc and somehow was profitable for you.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                          I don't want to be a hard-hearted neighbor.
                                          Better to seem hard-hearted on one occasion than to be cast forever as the villainous neighbor if a shared well became a source of neighborly acrimony!
                                          Evolutionary science by day; keeping a certain red mare from winning a Darwin award the rest of the time!

Comment

Working...
                                          X