• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Qualities of a good rough boarding facility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualities of a good rough boarding facility?

If you were rough boarding, what would you be looking for? What would you NOT want to see?

We have space in our family barn and are thinking of taking in a few rough boarders. There will need to be no drama, and all horses must be friendly. Other than that, from an HO perspective, what should be provided?

Thanks in advance.

safe fencing
    clean water
    some attention
    hay fed when necessary
    safe entry into herd
    place to store stuff (grooming supplies, tack)

level place to tie for shoer

for me a place to keep my trailer (and in a perfect world truck!)
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Having been in a rough board situation while my mare was growing up, all I expected was that there was always enough water for all of the horses on the pasture, room to store hay under a roof (hay molds here if you just tarp it), windbreak/shelter for the horses and safe fencing. A good feeding strategy helps too, if there's nowhere to separate the horses during meal times.

In my particular situation there were two adult mares and two yearling fillies on a 10 acre pasture. There was a huge stock tank up near the "barn", plus a small creek that ran through the pasture. The "barn" was basically a run in on the pasture side and hay storage on the driveway side. There was also a good windbreak of trees on the west side of the pasture. It helped that all of the horses were eating the same hay, so whoever happened to be feeding would just put out 6-7 big piles of hay to prevent fighting. Usually I fed and checked on horses in the evening, and the owner of the other 3 fed in the morning.
      It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
      Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

What I'd like to see:
        Most important - safe fencing, reliable water (never dry, dirty or frozen) and uncrowded pastures. Also required worming and vaccinations.
        What I'd strongly like - Some oversight to keep a watch for injuries, illness, accidents
        Secure storage for food and tack, etc.
        Compatible horses (no overly aggressive horses to one another or people)
        Riding area separate from horses - just grass footing, trails, any arenas would be a plus but not necessity
        Windbreak and/or shelter, plus some sort of emergency stall availability for sick or injured horse or extreme, extreme weather

Comment

I'm not sure if you are thinking "long term horse storage" or "low cost boarding for riding horses"

If it's the latter- along with stuff already mentioned- I would think, depending on how many boarders you are thinking about- some sort of bathroom for people visiting their horses would be key.

and going along with workspace for farrier- a nice safe hitching rail/wash rack area that isn't muddy.

Comment

when I was fresh out of college I was fortunate to find a rough-board situation that worked out really well. I had a stall if the weather got really bad, but generally my mare was out all the time. Hay and 1 grain feeding was included in the board, and the owner fed that when she fed her horses. Separate feeding was automatic because she had the horses out in separate paddocks (like I said, it was a really sweet deal, only a few of her own personal horses shared the larger pastures).

What I liked
            - owner on property, oversight of what was going on.
            - owner let me know when her vet/farrier was coming if I wanted to get in on the party. If not, I was not pressured to use the same people.
            - If I went out of town, she gladly picked up my afternoon feedings. She charged me modestly for them, hence the 'gladly' but never made me feel like I was making her life miserable.
            - trails. not like I have now, but for central NJ it was not bad
            - turnout. for the area it was hard to find affordable boarding with turnout, with grass nonetheless.
            - safety as far as fencing, places to ride, turn out, etc
            - they even had a grooming stall!
            - she provided quality hay/straw bedding/grain at bulk prices so I didn't have to pay retail prices and try to haul it in my Nissan Sentra. And, never once did she come close to running out of any of these.
            - NO (regular) DRAMA. Everyone that boarded there was low key. It was quiet. We just had the owner's daughter's boyfriend who was a drug addict/drunk but you have to have a little excitment, right? And he wasn't there very much because daughter didn't live there.

Unless I put my mare in, she stayed out. The owner didn't try to read my mind, like at other places, where they usually read it wrong. There was no afternoon feeding so I did that myself (except hay, only in the winter) and water buckets would freeze but I doubt that she went longer than a few hours before they would get dumped and filled. Any stalling/cleaning was my deal of course.

Someone mentioned a bathroom... lordy, that was the end stall that no one was using! Yes, I suppose a bathroom would have been icing on the cake!

Also, locking tack storage would have been amazing but I hauled everything except my grooming kit in my car because of previously mentioned shady boyfriend character. But, we're talking rough board here so I never expected anything so lavish.

Comment

Safe fencing, non-trappy run-in sheds, no rusty nails/shaggy T-posts, other horses in GREAT condition and appropriate weight, all of them demonstrably friendly but not pushy (shows good manners/handling). Free-choice access to unlimited clean water a MUST! Ask to see the hay and feed, too.

The price should also reflect the level of care and the type of facility, as well as the specific clientele being sought. IOW, if you want retirees you'll charge more affordably, but don't have to provide as much of a riding facility. But the level of care, especially for oldsters, may well be higher!

Comment

I think some of the details depend on what kind of clientele you'll want, e.g., if you have trail access you'd probably attract trail riders so they'll need some facilities that retired horses will not. Here's what I looked for when I retired my horse:
                Safe fencing
                No junk stored in the paddocks
                Appropriate shelters
                Clean and plentiful water
                No deep mud
                Decent hay/feed
                Deworming plan for the group!
                Safe companions/nobody super aggressive
                Someplace sheltered to groom and tack up
                Not run by a crazy person

Comment

Working...