• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ford F150 or Tundra (not hauling much)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We rented some of both as fleet vehicles for a job we were doing (about 20 people sharing them). The F-150s were overwhelmingly more popular than the Tundras once everyone had a chance to drive several hours in both.
    ---------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
      I don't know how you all get 20+ mpg with an F-150...please, let me in on the secret!

I have a 2008 F-150 FX4, extended cab (not the full 4 door), with the 6' bed. Its the 5.4L V8...I have calculated my mpg numerous times, and without towing anything, the highest I've ever gotten is 14 mpg.

I love my Ford for towing, regardless of the crappy fuel mileage. I've never had an issue pulling my steel 14' stock trailer with a dressing room with two horses on board, along with tack for both horses. It pulls it well, stops it well, and I don't even know the trailer is back there.

I did recently test drive a brand new Tundra and honestly...I liked driving my 2008 Ford better. Granted, I didn't tow with it, but I didn't get that "OMG, I love this new truck, I must have it!" feeling. I walked away and am still glad to have my Ford.
      Get yours looked over by a good mechanic, as that seems way too much gas going thru it.

I have checked the mileage with the gadget that tells you how you are doing as you are driving along and at the end with the records of miles driven and how much gas we buy for our overhead tanks and both match, so I know it is true.

Now, just going to get the mail to town and back, down the side roads and dirt roads, it uses more like 17/18, but going down the highway to the big town for groceries, it gets easily 22+.

On the average over many days, it hovers about 19+, with some hauling also.

Comment

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
        I don't know how you all get 20+ mpg with an F-150...please, let me in on the secret!
        Depends on the year and engine configuration as well as the way you drive. The current crop of F150s with the Ecoboost engine get very good rural and highway mileage for folks who need to use them as daily drivers. There are many variables, however, including terrain, stop/go frequency, short/long trips, colder climates, etc. But even the 2000 Tundra I owned two vehicles ago got decent mileage for its ilk simply because of the way I drive. I seem to remember averaging about 16 in typical rural driving and as much as 19 on the highway.

Comment

Bluey & Jim in PA:

Its a 2008, no EcoBoost, unfortunately!

Bluey, it checks out fine. I had a 2007 prior to this one that was a lease, and that wasn't any better on fuel mileage, in fact, the 2008 I have now is probably a smidge better.

I am in Vermont so we're definitely driving some hills, and its limited highway driving when I do drive it. But even when I do drive highway, I'm not getting better than 15 with it, I've computed the mpg to specifically guage this.

I test drove a Tundra at the end of January...nothing jumped out at me, I actually liked my 2008 F-150 better than the new Tundra. Maybe the MPG will be what sways me to get the Tundra, however!

I know someone with a new F-250, the 2013 model year, and he's getting 17-19 just rural commute driving. I may upgrade into one of those anyways if I decide I'm going to haul a gooseneck. The Fords look so robotic though...I definitely like the looks of the Tundra better!
          "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Originally posted by Serigraph View Post
            I'm not familiar with Fords, but I know they lead in trucks.
            Ah, no. Not at all. Not RUNNING trucks anyway.
            get a 4x4 for sure- you will so want that!
            tundra makes a great truck.
            Stay away from Fords (unless you are in love with a mechanic). They do ride nice but you will be sucked dry at the pump (and not in a good way!!)

Comment

Thanks for this thread, good to know the gorgeous silver Tundra I've been drooling over, which would look soooooo good pullling my Eclipse trailer, actually tows as good as it looks.

My non-farm car is a Scion, and the little thing is as close to an air fern as cars get, so I'm a huge Toyota fan.

Only thing keeping me from taking the plunge is the unattractive idea of going down a $25K rathole of debt, and the gas mileage that's no better than my old Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
                Only thing keeping me from taking the plunge is the unattractive idea of going down a $25K rathole of debt, and the gas mileage that's no better than my old Dakota.
                If you're planning to buy new, you'd better prepare yourself for sticker shock because the one I just looked at was about $10K more than that...
                "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Ask around here too.

http://www.edmunds.com/truck/

Comment

No experience with Toyota, but I have a 2001 F150 that has over 200K miles on it and it's still doing great. Low maintenance, and good gas mileage.

I get about 20 mpg with it not towing anything, but I have a V6, not a V8. It pulls (and stops) my two horse steel stock trailer just fine. Although where I live it is pool-table-flat. The few times I've tried to tow up hills convinced me I will never haul to the mountains in it.

Mine is 2WD. My next one will be 4WD, since I've had to call a tow truck several times over the years to get me out of muddy fields.
                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

We have owned numerous Fords throughout the years. We typically get 200K plus on a gas engine. And we work them hard but we also stay on top of maintenance. Our trucks don't sit, either, which is something that I think happens when folks buy a towing specific vehicle. Get 4WD. We've used our F-150s for towing old steel trailers back and forth to SC Upstate and had no issues. Might be tricky to haul up Black Mountain grade, but not terribly so, I don't think given the way the truck handled otherwise.

We've got friends who own a VARIETY of trucks of all sizes (dumps, 3500, light duty - interestingly enough no Fords). Their Toyota gets horrible towing gas mileage. And I'm not sure what sort of Ford didn't feel "beefier" compared to the Tundra but our experience is exactly the opposite. The Toy-ota felt small and light; the cabin wasn't very comfy either.

There are lemons in every brand...we haven't had a lemon with Ford though I must say we haven't really owned anything else (though we've ridden in them and test driven them). As for the crap I get from a lot of the old men around here who like to tell me Ford stands for "fixed or repaired daily" or some other nonsense, I just smile...seems like the loudest ones always end up stuck somewhere or broke down and we pull them out or pick them up using our Ford. I used to tease them that I was going to take a photo of their broke down/stuck Dodge or Chevy and put it on the post office bulletin board.

FWIW - we're planning a truck purchase in the next year or so...unless something major happens to change our minds, it'll be another Ford.

Have fun truck shopping!

Comment

Just updating this thread from my original post (#6).

We had a 2010 Tundra that my husband and I LOVED (after having a nice F150 that we liked pretty well). It was the one with the 4.7 liter engine, two wheel drive, double cab. It was a fantastic truck, but we do a lot of towing (horse trailer and travel trailer), and (most importantly) we are preparing for a move to the N.C. mountains in a year and a half when our daughter graduates. The two wheel drive was going to be an issue for us, for sure (at least that was a big concern).

We had JUST made our last payment on the Tundra last month. *sigh* And we are back into three more years of payments all over again, LOL!!

But, the good news is....I have a brand new 2013 Tundra!

This one is the 5.7 liter engine, 4 wheel drive, plus a back-up camera that I LOVE!!! And then it came with all the same bells and whistles as the last one (blue tooth, 6 cd changer, leather interior, bed liner, front end sensors etc)

I'm very excited!!

Meet Tuffy Tundra 2.0

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic - been very rainy here)...
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps3e1e940c.jpg

Interior
                        http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps5c20c2ad.jpg
                        “When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, then you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
                        S.Roberts

Comment

I have a Hilux, which is the Tundra's little sister and I adore it. Reliable, comfy, tows well.
                          Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

I have a 1997 Ford F150. No complaints - it hasn't had any work done in 100,000 miles other than oil changes and tire rotations (knock on wood, hoping I don't jinx myself).

I drive a 2600 mile cross-country round trip 3-4 times a year, and it has never had an issue.

I pull a 2-horse warmblood-size bumper pull with it with 2700 pounds of horses inside, and I think it does great. I used to trailer somewhere at least twice a week, but now I'm down to once a month or every other month.

No complaints. It's a good, sturdy, hard-working vehicle. It's comfortable an performs well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Comment

Working...
                            X