• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What is the average size of your stalls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the average size of your stalls?

A friend came over to view our new barn and exclaimed 'these stalls are huge!' I'm curious, what is the average size of your horse barn stalls?

I think mine are 12 by 12 or a 12 by 14. Of course, I almost never use them
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

Hi
      Mine are odd shaped. I only have 2 stalls. 10'8 x 12. I am going to extend one stall to about 10'8 x 17 for my stallion because he stays in his stall ( by his choice ) and that will give him more space but will reduce my goat to about a 4 x 10'8. But she is a pigmy so that will be plenty big enough for her.

Comment

Most of the boarding barns I have been at had 12 x 12 stalls - standard prefab type steel barns.
        APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Mine are 10'x10'. Since my horses are almost never closed in them they work fine at this size.

Comment

Mine are also 10' x 10'......I never lock mine in unless injured so they are plenty big........less space for shavings and less area to pick manure up in
            RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
            May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
            RIP San Lena Peppy
            May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Comment

Mine are 12 x 14. Bank barn with stalls origionally ment for the drafts that worked the farm.

Comment

10 by 12 and the horses can come and go at will from them.

Comment

Mine are 10 by 12 and I think too small for my 17 hand horse. The 16 handers and pony seem fine.

Comment

I board and have been in 10x10, 12x12 and 12x14. The 12x14 stalls are considered big around here. 10x10 or 12x12 are normal.

Comment

Mine are 10x12. They work fine for my horses, the tallest of which is 16hh or slightly taller. They all have dutch doors and stall guards to stick their heads in the aisle.

First boarding barn was 12x12, second was 10x11 (and she kept 17hh horses in those).
                      come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

12X12
                        Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                        White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

I have boarded at 3 commercial barns and one private barn at this point in my life and all of them had 10 x 12 stalls. This seems to be the norm here. There are barns with 10 x 10 stalls as well (too small for my big horses, imo). The biggest horse I've owned was a 16'3" TB--he lived outside anyway (much happier outside).

I don't have any stalls at my house yet, but would probably build 2 10 x 12 and the rest 12 x 12 with the option to take out a divider in the 10 x 12's if I needed a large stall for breeding/confinement/some yet unknown huge horse. I keep everyone turned out outside as much as possible anyway.
                          DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

12x12 in the barn we have now - would not want anything smaller but considering 12x14 for the next barn.

Even though you have to initially use a bit more bedding, I think the horses are neater in a larger stall. Most of our guys have a bathroom corner and the rest stays pretty clean, and then there is Travis, our little tornado. Smallest horse in the barn and he stall is a constant wreck.

Comment

BTW, I used to work for a barn with 14 by 14 stalls. They were decadent and amazing. If I were building a barn from scratch I would definitely make the stalls 14 by 14.

I agree that the 14 by 14 stalls were super-easy to clean because the horses tended not to grind the poop all around the way they do in small stalls. I think bedding costs evened out.

Comment

Perfect timing on this question. We are about to build a barn. I originally was thinking 10x10 but got to thinking that might be too small. Two of my horses are 14.2 and one might be 15hh if his toes are long so 10x10 will probably be fine. Besides, they will only be locked in for feeding.

Comment

My home stalls are 10x12. And I'm not sure why, but often people look in my stalls and say, "Wow, these are huge!" And they're not huge. But maybe some folks are more used to solid side walls or a dropped ceiling and my stalls just look bigger due to grilled side walls or open ceiling?

Around here stalls are almost always 10x10, 10x12 or 12x12. And that's mostly because either those are the sizes pre-fab stalls and stall kits are made. Or because that's the sizes boards are sold in already or it matches up with supports in a barn.

There is a glorious old barn 2 towns over that has hand-made 15x15 stalls. They look fantastic! Those would be nice to have for some horses...but not all. Like my younger horse is the world's filthiest stall pig most of the time and that would just give him a whole lot more space and bedding to destroy, LOL!

Mine work great for me...and were just fine when my mare was in them and she was 17hh and long. But if I had to re-do my barn interior...I'd splurge on the uber-awesome stall systems that not only have side walls that can un-pin and swing flat to the back wall to make an instant double stall...but they make them on sliders too so you can pull a couple pins and move the wall where you want it. Want to change the 12x12? Slide it 2 feet in either direction. Since my barn is only a 4 stall it wouldn't be uber-expensive to swap out to more expensive stalls and I may do that some day. I can put it on my huge list of "Someday" projects, LOL!
                                  You jump in the saddle,
                                  Hold onto the bridle!
                                  Jump in the line!
                                  ...Belefonte

Comment

The last side of our barn that I added has 12 x16s. There're far easier to clean than the one 10x12, and three 12x12s we have on the other side of the aisle. There is no stirring in the larger stalls. The horses pick a spot and use it over there, since they have plenty of room. I even tried the horses who made a mess in the small stalls in the big stalls, and they kept the big ones clean with no stirring.

If I built another barn from scratch, they'd all be 12x16s. We started with a small 2-stall shedrow, and did several additions, including the 15' wide aiselway, and complete other side with 12x16s. Four of the 12x16s convert into two 24x16 foaling stalls, which we liked when we used them too.
                                    www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

I have two very old barns so I have many different sized stalls: 1 is 14 x 16, three are 14 x 14, one is 12 x 14, three are 10 x 10 and one is 8 x 10.
                                      https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                                      Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                                      www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Mine are 14' x 14', but my biggest horse is 15.2 hands, most are under 14.3 hands.
                                        We may be building some more and in that one barn, they fit best, as we think right now, 12' x 16'.
                                        Not quite sure, will have to see about that.

A friend just built a new barn and he made his 24' x 12' for now, each with a 24' x 48' run.
                                        If he needs more space later, he can cut some in half.

Comment

Working...
                                        X