• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you decide your Board Rate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you decide your Board Rate?

Would love some ideas as to how you came up with a reasonable Boarding rate. I have never raised my rates, and I have done many improvements. Do you consider being small and private, an advantage or disadvantage?

I figured out my base costs (including property maintenance, etc, not just food/fencing) and then added an amount on top of that that makes it worthwhile dealing with people.

Comment

You have to take a look at your competition. What are they charging? Unless you've got something really special that will attract high paying customers, you don't want the highest rates in your area...of course you don't want the lowest either.

Comment

What are you expenses? What is your labor costs? What are the "going rates" for similar facilities in your area?

Our rule is break even or else. We'd live on our Wee Farmette regardless, so the tiny number of boarded horses don't have to cover mortgage and some capital improvements, so for me it is covering the cost of hay, bedding, feed, my labor and a bit toward the "repair and recovery" fund.
        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

This is a great question. To add to that I might ask if you try to cover your mortgage payment with board. (House included). And if you do, why tell boarders you do not make a penny profit? Is it normal to roll house and barn payments into board?

Comment

I hope you won't mind if I answer from a non-BO perspective.

1. Do your costing. Figure out what it costs your to support each stall. That includes that stall's share of everything from the mortgage to the barn's toilet paper.

2. Figure out what your competition is charging. Sadly, you will be limited by folks who don't charge enough just to keep the barn full. I think you'll find that most barns have almost zero profit.

To answer your other question: I think private barns have an advantage. Most of the time, folks are looking to just make their horse life pay for itself. They don't need to charge amounts that put them way into the black, as dedicated boarding stables do. Those barns and training barns have helped to undercut the profitability of pure boarding.

Also (and hopefully), you are supporting the kind of barn *you* want anyway. So, for example, you aren't paying on a huge covered arena loan if you are a trail rider. So when you get tear-your-hair-out tired of being the cleaning lady for other people's horses, you remember that you are getting something out of the deal, but you aren't in over your head.

IME, the safest bet is to be middle-of-the-road in price and amenities for your area. Being the top is financially imprudent because of the enormous expense of keeping up that kind of a farm. Being at the bottom invites people to your place who are looking for a deal rather than a good standard of care.

The good HOs, IMO, are the ones who want their horses well-cared for and realize that BOs are charging about what it costs to do that. They can and will pay because it would be stupid not to.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by ultimateshowmom View Post
              This is a great question. To add to that I might ask if you try to cover your mortgage payment with board. (House included). And if you do, why tell boarders you do not make a penny profit? Is it normal to roll house and barn payments into board?
              I'd say that depends (and quite frankly it's really not the boarder's business how much profit a BO makes) on whether your boarding and training business is your job or a side income.

Comment

My trainer left her computations on the desk once and she did, in fact, factor in sundries such as TP in the boarders' bathroom (a very nice bathroom). Anyway, her list included insurance, grain, hay, electric, water, just for the pasture boarded horses. Then there has to be a cost averaged out for maintenance of fences and pasture, and a cost of labor if you have to pay a person to throw hay, a cost share for the truck that carries the hay that the laborer throws and a cost share for the tractor that tows the truck out of the mud hole in the pasture, etc. Did I mention insurance? MVP is totally correct that private individuals undercut the market considerably in many cases. You have to be projecting your costs according to the future market value, ie like the supermarket you have to raise the prices of all the stock on the shelves to cover the higher price of goods today, nobody with a private barn does that, they have a good job and a good accountant that helps them write off their barely profitable/break even business. Every single time hay goes up the board needs to go up to offset the future cost of puchasing next year's hay. If hay goes down then I sincerely doubt there isn't something that hasn't been deferred like fence painting, or perhaps you boarded a beaver and have twice as many fence boards to repair. Anyway there are things like operating funds and sinking funds that need to be kept separate purely for running the barn, then as you are able you take a draw for wages for yourself - that's your profit. I'd expect that anybody running a "barn who makes no profit" has zero in the operating fund and is drawing a wage and barely making ends meet at home too.

And actually the entire cost of the facility should be incuded in the cost analysis. I'd have to ask an accountant how a house on the property would figure in, if the mortgage covers the house plus barn do you charge off a percentage based on the pecentage value of the barn and land (usually mortgages are skewed towards house value). I know for our business we never charged off the house mortgage but we did have a separate structure that was charged off 100% as a depreciable. We built it so it was easy to figure.

There's a lot more to it than you might think.
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                  , then as you are able you take a draw for wages for yourself - that's your profit

Interesting discussion. I would only quibble that the draw for your own wages is "profit". I disagree, I think those are "labor costs" because your time is worth something. "Profit" is what is left over when all costs, including labor costs, are paid.

I would also add, how you price board depends on your reputation/how full you are. If you are full with a waiting list you probably have a really good product, in fact a better product than other barns who are less popular -- in which case that's a signal to price accordingly. That is, you can probably charge a little bit of a premium because you are offering a better-than-average product.

I hope BeeHoney chimes in, she's a boarding guru!
                  https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                  Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                  www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

SMF I meant to say just that but it came out wrong. The only way a draw would be coming from your profit is if you had all your labor already accounted for, everything, including some fixed sum(s) for disaster preparedness (for lack of a better term). Then if you had anything extra(hah) and drew off that.

I'm afraid that still doesn't make sense.

But at anyrate, rolling the mortgage payment into the cost of board if board represented the actual cost of operation plus paying for all the labor would only be unfair if you ended up shorting the business - ie the boarders - by say failing to maintain the premises such that all the facilities being rented were available, in good condition and or as advertised. There is no legal cap as far as I know, and a market cap is supply and demand - if you have the nicest, best kept and best run barn with no wackadoo stuff going on, plans for evey contingency including non-payers, then why not charge enough to pay the mortgage.

You really want unfair? Get a BO with a drug habit. I'd seriously consider leaving based just on what my money is supporting, not to mention things usually start to slip and get scary.
                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

If the barn is paying for the house percentage of your mortgage and your horses are supported by the business, you are essentially being paid "in kind" by your boarding business. After all, if you had another job, you'd pay for your housing and horsing with post-tax dollars.

Maybe BOs who live on the place and own their own horses aren't doing quite so badly, even if they are cash-poor.
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post

And actually the entire cost of the facility should be incuded in the cost analysis. I'd have to ask an accountant how a house on the property would figure in, if the mortgage covers the house plus barn do you charge off a percentage based on the pecentage value of the barn and land (usually mortgages are skewed towards house value). I know for our business we never charged off the house mortgage but we did have a separate structure that was charged off 100% as a depreciable. We built it so it was easy to figure.

Well we did. We had three separate operations our private homestead, the farm corporation and the business which owned the horses paying the farm for care.

The farm leased its operation from the homestead thus was a separated operation. The lease payment the farm paid paid enough to cover the homestead's mortgage plus.

The farm then used that cost as its bases of costing for the boarded horses which were own by my business.

Comment

I've had 3 places @ 20 head over 15 yrs and what I'd say is you can charge what people will pay.

My house/land is on a separate mortgage, so I know what the facility is costing (and previous farm too). Hubby's income covers normal living expenses. 3x I can't even get a mortgage for horse operations if one of us doesn't have that reliable off- farm income to support.

No one knows how much 'mortgage' BO are carrying. Once my arena's interest rate was 11%. Big payment. Boarder's had no idea what is cost to own that place, and surprised when I downsized to something I could afford in the off season too.

Comment

OP, with regards to raising rates. What you are doing (and the shirt you are losing) has been industry practice for a while.

One new-fangled thing that seems to work is writing into the boarding contracts a cost-of-living increase each year. That saves you the angst and surprise of having to tack on surcharges for those years when hay or grain or diesel or whatever leap up.

Now if you want to "grandfather" in long-time boarders such that different people are paying different prices for the same services, you are on your own. This is another practice to be found in our industry and I think its a recipe for disaster. But you can keep it even with those annual board increases that everyone pays.

I hope you are able to find a happy way to keep your barn afloat. It sux for all of us if boarding barns get nickeled and dimed to extinction.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                              If the barn is paying for the house percentage of your mortgage and your horses are supported by the business, you are essentially being paid "in kind" by your boarding business. After all, if you had another job, you'd pay for your housing and horsing with post-tax dollars.

Maybe BOs who live on the place and own their own horses aren't doing quite so badly, even if they are cash-poor.
                              Yes, but we've all heard the stories of the disgruntled boarders tired of paying for the BO's horse hobby. And cash poor usually translates to skimping on the business end, NOT the BO eating Ramen and doing without Direct TV.
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

The only thing that matters is can you be priced competively with other barns in the area? No matter what your costs are, or what the numbers work out to, you can't charge signifigantly more for a similar product than others are.

Comment

If you have made improvements in certain areas it should be very easy to raise your board rates. Things like new footing, better jumps, heated wash rack, etc. that directly improve conditions for your clients are usually very well understood as increasing the value of board at a facility. Equally important improvements that are less important to clients, like new water lines, updated wiring, or new auto-waterers are a harder sell in terms of a reason to raise board rates.

Comment

If I ever become a barn owner, I would probably establish board by doing the following:

Calcuating how much it would cost me to live there *without* any boarders but just my own. 5 empty stalls still cost some amount of money and time (mortgage, spring cleaning, time and equipment for dragging the ring so I can ride, whatever). Or how much it would cost me to board my horses in a similar level of care if I *didn't* own a farm.

Calculate how much it costs per horse to live on the property (feed, bedding, pasture wear, time involved in care, etc).

And charge minimally the difference. If that minimal is very low, I would consider upping it a bit to cover the incidentals of farm life, and to attract the clientele you would want.

And I will never, never open a boarding operation if I can't afford to run the whole place without boarders. Their income is the icing on my (hypothetical) cake. That way I would never have to agonize over kicking out an awful boarder out versus having the income. And I can afford to absorb a boarder moving 3 horses out all at once.

I'm sure there are much more complicated, complete ways to do this. But this is my simple heuristic at this moment in time

Comment

Jaideux, what you suggest isn't really a workable business plan. I do think that a fair board rate should include a fair per-month, per-horse share of the cost of the property, cost of improvements on the property, cost of equipment necessary to maintain that property (tractors, arena groomers, manure spreaders, etc.), property insurance, property repairs, labor to maintain and manage the property (not just labor to care for the horses), accounting costs, etc.

While how you would run your hypothetical future boarding operation is up to you, I think it is completely unreasonable to suggest that someone trying to run a business should provide access to a major asset like a fully equipped and insured farm/barn/arena for free. That would be a charitable endeavor, not a business.

Comment

Well, that's just it... it wouldn't be a business. It would be my backyard. Hopefully a very nice back yard. But a backyard nonetheless. And I don't think I suggested doing it for free. I said, at minimum, charge the difference. That way you ensure you at least break with if the stall stayed empty. The cost of hay, grain, bedding, and your time alone will easily bump it over the "empty stall cost of existing" up another couple hundred I should think (at least the way it is for my horses it would... TB pigs, both of them). And if the difference is $200 and charging $200 will attract the "wrong kind" of clients, then make it $300. Or $400. But at least it's a place from which to start to help safeguard against financial ruin if boarders don't come... or don't stay... or don't pay.

IMHHO (In my humble, hypothetical opinion)

Comment

Working...
                                        X