Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Recipes for crunchy homemade horse treats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipes for crunchy homemade horse treats?

Hello all,

I've been wanting to experiment a little more with some good recipes for homemade horse treats. However, all the recipes I've tried seem to be for soft treats that don't last very long.

I'm looking for a recipe that will product a hard, crunchy, cookie... much like the bagged ones you can buy at the tack store that will last a long time!

Thanks in advance!

I think that, if you are in the good old USA, you won't be able to find any horse products for human consumption sold anywhere, so you are out of luck making horse treats.

How about trying some other, more accessible meat type?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
      I think that, if you are in the good old USA, you won't be able to find any horse products for human consumption sold anywhere, so you are out of luck making horse treats.

How about trying some other, more accessible meat type?

Comment

For treats, we use the little cubes/larger pellets complete feed or alfalfa cubes come in as treats.
        Clean and horses really love them.

The commercial treats are mostly extruded products and, without special equipment, I am not sure we can replicate those in our kitchens.

See what others have to say.

Comment

Mick's Favorite Treat

I have made very crunchy horse cookies using this recipe I created:

2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
          1 cup flour
          1 cup molasses

mix and drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. I use Crisco.
          bake at 350 for 10-12 min. will be soft but harden as they cool.
          be sure to take them off cookie sheet before waiting too long, as they will not come off! LOL

substitutions:
          can use grain, cracked corn, etc for the oatmeal,

if you add chopped apples or carrots to this, then the cookies have to stay cold as they tend to spoil.

any questions ask away!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HannahsMom7 View Post
            I have made very crunchy horse cookies using this recipe I created:

2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
            1 cup flour
            1 cup molasses

mix and drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. I use Crisco.
            bake at 350 for 10-12 min. will be soft but harden as they cool.
            be sure to take them off cookie sheet before waiting too long, as they will not come off! LOL

substitutions:
            can use grain, cracked corn, etc for the oatmeal,

if you add chopped apples or carrots to this, then the cookies have to stay cold as they tend to spoil.

any questions ask away!
            It's funny, before I even read your post I sort of came up with my own concoction which was pretty much the same thing! They turned out great... but how long do they typically last for you? Without the carrots or apples, that is.

I put them in airtight containers and left them in the tack room, not the refrigerator. Hopefully they'll last more than a few days because the recipe made a ton!

Comment

I'm glad we agree on ideas!

we leave ours in the tack trunk. I don't really know how long they will last! I give some to my daughter so they go very quickly!

sometimes I add baking powder to the mix to see if I can "lighten" the cookies a bit.

or add salt too. I figure the horses like/need salt too.

I have added crushed peppermints and couldn't scrape the cookies off the sheet! LOL

the candies stuck but good. Last time I tried that!

I think the crushed peppermints on top would be ok. stopped doing that.

and I have found out that Mick will eat the dark brown bottomed ones too.

Comment

I think the best way to make them would be similar to a biscotti recipe - where they are baked twice. That's the key to making them dry enough to store. See if you can find a molasses biscotti recipe and adjust it. I believe the dough is shaped into a shallow loaf and baked, cooled, sliced, and then slices are baked again at a rather low temperature (like 300) for another 40 minutes or so? Worth trying, although you could also freeze the treats and then thaw out some each week instead.

Comment

I usually mix quick cook oats, shredded carrots, salt, molasses, vegetable oil and enough flour to make a dough ball all in a food processor. Add more molasses/salt to taste -- if it's sweet/salty enough for you, the horses will generally like it.

I roll this up into a log wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight. Then I slice the log into half-inch wide circles. The circles are either placed on a cookie sheet sprayed with a good coat of cooking spray and baked for 10 - 15 min at normal cookie temperatures (325 - 350) or I put them in my dehydrator for a day or two.

As long as they're kept dry, they'll last. I've done this with making cookies with supplements, but it entirely depends on the "serving size" of the supplement on whether this would work out or not. If you add supplements, its better to go the dehydrator route so you're not degrading potency through high heat.

Comment

I have been baking treats for a few months and I have finally come up with a recipe that I really like. I make mine in mini muffin pans and they come out perfect. They can be crunchy or soft depending how long you bake them. Makes 36 treats.

1C Oats
                    1C Flax meal
                    1C Cornmeal
                    1C Whole wheat flour
                    1C Wheat Bran
                    1/2 C Flax Seed
                    1C Beet Pulp
                    1C Water
                    1C Applesauce
                    1C Table Syrup (bought from Amish Market) could use 1/2C molasses & 1/2C corn syrup
                    1/2 C Coconut Oil
                    Lots of ingredients but you can make 5-6 batches once you have all of the ingredients.
                    1. Mix Beet Pulp w/ hot water until soft
                    2. mix in rest of ingredients and scoop into greased mini muffin tins. I press them down into the pan so they are even with the top of the pan. Bake at 375 for 20-30 min depending how crunchy you want them. They will firm up after you take them out of the oven.
                    3. You can substitute other ingredients if you do not have everything that is listed.

Comment

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/dog-weight-loss.html

I made these for the dogs, but the horses like them as well. I think the last time I made them I omitted the banana. We made them around Christmas time and I still have some in the freezer. Doing the cutout shapes can be time consuming, but I had my stepson help.

Comment

Working...
                      X