• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horses and freezing weather?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses and freezing weather?

DH and I have decided we are definitely moving from Southern California to Wisconsin. I know it's going to be a big culture shock for me having lived in So Cal my whole life. DH grew up in WI and only came to CA when he joined the Marines, so he knows more about life there and can help me through that part.

We are taking our two horses with us, and I really could use some helpful suggestions for what to do with them when the weather turns cold and freezing in the frigid north! The master plan is to rent a house in town and board the horses for the first year, and then buy a house on some land (with hopefully a barn and some horse setup already there, but the area we are moving to isn't a horsey area so that might be hard to find). So I will have the security of a boarding barn to help me figure things out that first winter (and hopefully an indoor arena to ride in...something I probably won't have again for quite a while!). We are planning to move in June, so that gives me a few months to prepare.

What would you tell someone who has never lived in a cold climate about how to take care of horses in real winter conditions? My horses are older, early 20's, but both are still spry and in good condition, easy keepers, no health issues. My mare is a sensitive Thoroughbred type so I bet I will have to get her some heavy duty blankets. DH's gelding is a tough Standardbred who resembles a yak even in our 80-degree winter months so I think after the first winter he will probably adjust fine.

I think I know theoretically what to do (giving extra hay for warmth, making sure buckets are not frozen, etc.) I think I am more worried about how to know when it is safe or not safe to turnout, how to tell if the horse is cold and needs extra hay/blankets, and anything that I am completely and totally not thinking about that might be important to know.

Thanks for the help! I am excited about the move because my horses will be able to graze on green pastures for the first time in their lives. I think they deserve that kind of retirement.
    Last edited by tbgurl; Feb. 18, 2013, 02:51 AM. Reason: think I posted in wrong forum, tried to change it
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

I think you are worrying too much about it.

A little bit of cold will not affect the horse's ability to go out. If things become a sheet of ice and turn out is not safe, then sure, restrict turn out.

I would be more worried about the transition to turn out on green grass than the winter issues.

Comment

My horse, who was bred in Florida, prefers the freezing cold to the hot summer. Your horses will be fine.

Comment

I'm sure you know that horses do better in cold weather than hot (they do).

I have 11 horses here (last night the temp was about 5 degrees, and about -10 with windchill) and all the horses live out 24/7, *including* the two 30 year old TB's* (as well as some younger TBs). In my opinion, more turnout for older horses is better as they can get creaky and the gentle movement of walking around helps arthritic joints.

You could see how the TBs do -- you would be surprised how much coat many of them can grow if allowed to. My own retired TB came to me with strict warnings to blanket heavily b/c he never grew a winter coat. I did the first winter, but the second one I waited to blanket him and lo and behold he has a very thick coat. (As do the 30 year old TBs, I might add, though I do blanket them much more than the others).

You already know the key things: shelter and a lot of hay. Your horses will probably be thrilled at the climate change!

*who were very fancy show horses in their day: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
        (and today (that's not me!) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater )
        https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
        Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
        www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

I know of horses that were born in Brazil, 1000 miles from the Equator, and live in MI. I've got a few that live in East TN. They do just fine.

The horse, genetically, is a creature of the short grass steppe. They are pretty much "temperature neutral" in a range of temps from roughly 15 degrees F. to 60 degrees F. Below that some human help is needed; above that you've got to look to sun shade and water availability.

The biggest change is that in the cold months you have to increase hay availability and ensure that you water supply is open. The act of digesting hay generates heat. Some folks add extra grain, but generally this is not as effective as a "warming strategy" as feeding extra hay.

If you move in the spring it won't be an issue. The horses will have a full summer to "acclimate." If you move in Nov. then you'll have to be more watchful, but the odds are that they will fare well with some good hay and water.

Good luck in your move.

G.

B.A., Marquette Univ., 1968; J.D., Marquette Univ. Law School, 1976
          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

While you are boarding that first winter, educate yourself on things like frost-free water pumps, heated buckets, barn insulation and airflow, types of all-weather footing for sacrifice areas, manure management in winter, etc. These are things that will make a difference when you get your own property ... the difference between a relatively safe and easy-to-manage set-up and one that fights you every day because things are a little 'off'. Something that is easy to do when the temps are above 70 degrees can become a nightmare when the temps are in the single digits with snow on the ground and the wind blowing.

*star*
            "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
            - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

If you're going to be boarding for the first year, and it's not self care, find yourself a barn with a really great BO/BM and take their advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotenStar View Post
                While you are boarding that first winter, educate yourself on things like frost-free water pumps, heated buckets, barn insulation and airflow, types of all-weather footing for sacrifice areas, manure management in winter, etc. These are things that will make a difference when you get your own property ... the difference between a relatively safe and easy-to-manage set-up and one that fights you every day because things are a little 'off'. Something that is easy to do when the temps are above 70 degrees can become a nightmare when the temps are in the single digits with snow on the ground and the wind blowing.

*star*
                PRINT THIS POST FOR REFERENCE!

I can only say "Ditto" to everything star said, but also wanted to let you know my Big Guy (Australian WB) was bred in the part of Australia with weather like FL, then spent near 10 years in FL before coming to live with me (Midwest) 3 years ago. He turned 18 this Summer.
                He arrived December 1 with zero haircoat, slick as all getout, which made me go

I blanketed that first Winter and watched him the next Fall to see how fuzzy he'd get.
                The answer: not very.

He grows a short, thick coat and it seems to keep him warm enough.
                I do not blanket unless we get a stretch of sub-zero days, or a bout of wet & windy weather that has him soaked through to the skin on his back. Even then, once he's dry, the blanket comes off.

Even though he has access to a stall 24/7 he seems to prefer being Out to In.
                Keeping him stoked with freechoice hay seems to work best.
                I check belly, inside flanks, ear tips and general demeanor - if all check out warm & nonplussed he stays nekkid.

Welcome to the Midwest where Winter roars in around November and sticks around until the end of March.
                We've had snow in May, but not as a Rule.
                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

make sure you have heated buckets so they stay hydrated, lots and lots of hay for them to stay eating and use the energy to stay warm. Check blankets often to make sure they aren't too warm or too cold. THey'll be fine, horses are very adaptable. Oh, and shelter. Mine stay in if it's going to be below 25 degrees at night, but we're in NC.....
                  Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

Lots of good advice here! Horses are incredibly resilient, I think they'll probably surprise you. The first cold winter will probably be the "toughest" for them as they adjust to the colder temps, but blankets, access to shelter and plenty of good hay and plenty of water and they'll be fine. Believe it or not, it's not the freezing temps that make horsekeeping in the winter the worst, it's the mud that follows. Ugh. Mud mud mud. As long as the ground isn't a sheet of ice, turn 'em out. Mine love it when it snows!

If your horses are shivering, they are cold. If they lose weight during the winter, pile on the hay and even increase the grain a bit if you need to. They will feel less inclined to drink during the winter, so I do give mine super soupy warm beet pulp morn and night with their grain to be sure they are at least getting SOME liquid in them. Because you are throwing so much more hay at them to help them keep warm, colic can be a problem if they aren't drinking well. If I notice one of mine isn't drinking as much as necessary, I warm the water a bit and add some apple juice and chopped up apples to float on the water to entice drinking. They'll get some extra water down while "bobbing for apples." It generally works.

Comment

Lots of great advice here, and most likely you will have more culture shock than the horses about things like learning to drive in the snow, and having to wear (and come to love ) Carhartt & Sorel. You look like a lineman, but you are warm!

I have a mare who despite being born in NH doesn't grow much coat, and she gets blanketed through the winter. She also colics when she's too hot - princess.

I think those are the 2 biggies - they have to drink enough when it's cold, and you can't let them get too hot when the temperature spikes 60 degrees one random day in February.

Your plan to board the first year is a good one - let someone who knows how, do the work and you can learn from them.

Horses thrive in cool weather and for them, cool is less than 60.

Comment

I grew up in NorCal and DH in San Diego. KY doesn't keep much snow on the ground which is actually more of a pain, freeze/thaw makes slippery muck. I actually like a hard freeze because the ground freezes and if you've been careful it won't be full of giant pock marks. Anyway, the horses are fine, it's us that have to figure it out. A frost free hydrant is a necessity, it's a funny looking thing like this . The handle lifts up to turn on the water and once you push it down if it's installed properly the water in the pipe drains out into the ground underneath. You'll have to learn about draining hoses and keeping pipes from freezing (they freeze and they burst, but that's happened to us in NorCal and at high elevation in San Diego county, it's just more consistent here in KY and especially WI) and the various kind of tank heaters and home made insulated stock tank boxes, there are also fabric bucket cozies and heated everything, dog bowls, buckets and muck tubs.
                        I just wore my nylon bib ski overalls, DH graduated to Schmidt bib overalls, they look like Carharrts but came in Short. Oh yeah, Muck brand rubber boots for farm chores, they have a half an inch of neoprene. Lots of knit beanies or those ear covers and something around your neck, I use my old wool gloves because they stay warm when wet. And don't forget winter underwear and winter riding clothing! You could go up to the mountains for learning how to drive, but the snow is different and they use salt here so there's a lot of slush, nasty stuff. Don't forget to wash your car fairly regularly in the winter as the deicer can eat up metal auto bodies.

Your SO should know all this. And the boarding barn is a very good idea. You might consider boarding during the winter even after you get a place. Good luck, I miss the ocean but it's still beautiful to see the change of the seasons and the green grass.
                        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                        Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all the helpful tips! I bookmarked this thread and will be printing it out for future reference lol. I'm glad to know I'm over thinking it...I tend to do that. I'm sure my horses will be much happier in the snow than they are during our miserable 90-100 degree summers. Heck, I agree with them. The colder it gets here the happier I am. But I've never been in below-freezing weather for more than a week. lol
                          Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgurl View Post
                            You guys are the best! Thanks so much for all the helpful tips! I bookmarked this thread and will be printing it out for future reference lol. I'm glad to know I'm over thinking it...I tend to do that. I'm sure my horses will be much happier in the snow than they are during our miserable 90-100 degree summers. Heck, I agree with them. The colder it gets here the happier I am. But I've never been in below-freezing weather for more than a week. lol
                            Ugh, I'm the opposite....much rather have those hot days than freezing cold miserable snow. Yuck! bad for business, can't teach if it's that bad since we only have an outdoor.
                            Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

Remember how different horses are from us. They grow natural hair coats that keep them warm by providing insulation. putting something on them will mash this fluffy layer FLAT so there's no warmth. And they don't live in nice warm houses like we do, they're locked in sunless barns where they can't use their natural warm-up mechanism, moving around. Horses are WARMER and HAPPIER outside, where they can move around and adjust their conditions to the weather.

Just keep them out of freezing rain. That's the killer...

Comment

Second everyone's advice.

My bit: buy your winter blankets NOW when they go on mad "spring clearance". You'll save a bundle instead of waiting til next fall!

Comment

Your horses will be fine. You, not so much!
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I would say hydration is the biggest thing. Once in a great while I will get one that colics when the weather goes from warm to super cold. I use heated buckets, trough heaters, and electrolytes. Some of them just don't like to drink the cold water.
                                    Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

Since everyone's taken care of the horse side, I'll make notes on the human side.

Learn to dress in thin layers, carefully chosen and put on in the right order. Cuddle Duds or Under Armour first (something thin that wicks), long-sleeve turtle neck, fleece and something wind proof... etc.

For feet, spray them with Anti Perspirant before donning socks. Sweaty toes = toesicles. Waterproof & insulated boots are your feets' friends.

Best of luck on your move!!!
                                      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but horse keeping in Wisconsin in winter sucks. It is absolutely horrible - see my post in Horse Care this morning if you want an idea of what winter has been like in Wisconsin so far this year. Regardless of what people say about horses preferring the cold, most I know absolutely do not. Even when it is safe to turn out, the horses can barely move around. They become sore and fresh all at once.

Ugh. I have absolutely nothing nice to say about Wisconsin winters, and I have lived here and had horses here most of my life.

What part of WI are you moving to?

Comment

Working...
                                        X