• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Making Barn Plans - Need input (feed area, utility room, etc.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Barn Plans - Need input (feed area, utility room, etc.)

I am planning a barn in Wisconsin for my family; it's not going to be a big commercial barn. It is going to be a 4 stall barn with a wash stall, a heated tack room, and a utility room. 2 - 24' x 24' "garage" areas will be attached, one for hay and one for our tractor and horse trailer. The whole thing will end up being about 48' x 72' including the attached 3-sided run-ins. I'm not going for fancy, but I want efficient and well-thought-out. The biggest advice everyone tells me is to give myself room to grow, so I am trying to do that without breaking the bank.

Questions:
    1) Feed areas: I've seen quite a few people build an actual feed room. Just wondering what the advantages are of this. Can I get by with just a feed area that is open to the barn or would it be worth it to make into a separate room?
    2) Utility room: How big to make it? Should I combine it with the feed room and make it a 12 x 12 square? If I have a wash stall, do I also need a utility sink? I don't want to put one in if I'll never use it.
    3) Blanket area - Where is the best place to hang blankets to dry and store?
    4) What is the best size for a tack room. Is 12 x 12 enough?

Thanks everyone!

Put up a separate place for the blankets. They make a tack room stink.

But again, if you are in a colder area, you don't want them to hang to dry in the aisle or something alike, as they might take forever to dry up. So I would put an heated feed room, about 12x12, mice proof, where you store your feed bags, some tools, have a blanket rack so they can dry, water and a big sink, etc. Plus it is safer to have an enclosed area for the feed, in case a wise horse gets out of his stall and tries to open the bins to have a midnight snack.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Comment

I keep my feed in the tack room with the door closed to marauding horses. So far, none of them have learned to turn the knob on the door.

Now that I have an extra stall, I just hang blankets to dry in the extra stall, but they can take forever to dry if it's cold and damp. I will, on occasion, hang them in the tack room with a fan on them to dry them quickly...but my tack room is not heated.

I'm not a fan of storing a tractor near hay...will you have a firewall between the two?

Comment

I'd say put your utilities and feed in the same area - use the space. If you can put a sink in there, you can also use it for tack cleaning, though I would suggest that be a part of the tack room. Obviously a heated or warmed tack room would be better.

If you wanted it all heated - re: mice issue in the winter against the grain - you could make it a 24 x 12 space, and add a few closets at one end for your utilities, then combine your grain and tack space.

A long wall might be really good to open up blanket drying space!
        The Rodeo Project - Tracking an Event Horse

Comment

For the ease of mind, masonry firewalls between the garage areas and the barn and fire stop dry wall in the heated tack room (at least 5/8 drywall)

Or seperate the garage storage areas , you could have a covered walkway between those storage areas

Comment

Originally posted by TheHappyHorsewife View Post
            Whatever size you built it will be just a bit smaller than you need. We have Morgans, the tack room is full, the garage is full of tack also, then there are the trunks full of stuff in the spare areas of the barn. We have overhead storage, which is also full... now that everything is full nothing more can be bought, job done.

Comment

Contact your local County Extension Agent. They will have a file of plans for different barn configurations.

Hit a big bookstore like Books-a-Million and you'll find books of barn plans. You'll also find them on Amazon, but I like to buy DIY books "hands on."

I'd not put a tractor and hay storage under the same roof as a livestock barn. I'd use a separate building. It need not be far away, but should be separate. Hay is a significant fire hazard; tractors carry lots of POL products. Neither, IMO, are a positive in a stock barn.

Combining functions is a Good Thing. A combination utility/tack room should not be an issue. Feed ought to have its own location as feed draws rodents and varmints. The feed area ought to be accessible to the barn cats. Cats in tack rooms can cause issues.

You're in WI? Where they have 9 months of winter and three months of poor sledding? Heat the wash stall. And plan on using it during cold months as your farrier area. Your farrier will truly appreciate this.

Travel around you local area and see what other folks have done. This is a great way to see both "do bees" and "don't bees."

Specifics:
              1) Feed areas: I've seen quite a few people build an actual feed room. Just wondering what the advantages are of this. Can I get by with just a feed area that is open to the barn or would it be worth it to make into a separate room?

An open area is OK. Just make sure you can secure individual feed bins.

2) Utility room: How big to make it? Should I combine it with the feed room and make it a 12 x 12 square? If I have a wash stall, do I also need a utility sink? I don't want to put one in if I'll never use it.

What will you be doing in the utility room? Make it big enough for that. If what you'll be doing is not incompatible with tack storage then combine the two functions.

A "deep sink" is useful for lots of things. Cost is low and utility high.

3) Blanket area - Where is the best place to hang blankets to dry and store?

Tack room if either climate controlled or with a dehumidifier.

Yes. You'll fill 110% of it no matter how big you make it!!!

Good luck in your project.

G.
              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

My barn has a 12x12 utility/feed room and a 12X24 tack room. I wish that the sizes were reversed or that I had combined them into a single room. A room where you can store feed so it is not accessible to a loose horse is a big plus as others have noted. The utility room has a stainless sink and drain board attached. I use it every day, from washing the dogs to soaking beet pulp. I have 4 feed bins stuffed in there, along with cabinets/shelving to hold supplies, a mini fridge and the water heater is in this room as well. Another thing I should have done is to install a drain in the floor with a slight slope to the drain to make clean up easier.

The tack room has my tack, and a seating/sleeping area that we used to camp out in when I have a sick horse or foaling mare (closed circuit camera to the stalls). It's just me, so that area is enough. The saddlle racks are very space efficient as they are from trailers of harness racing friends who had no need for them. I've been toying with the idea of moving some of the supplies to that room to free up some space in the utility room.

All the decor is in early american curb side :-).
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Comment

Would not put horses, tractor, and hay under same roof unless you do firewalls between, as others suggest. My biggest regret in my own barn is having hay stored in same building with horses. Although I'm not sure regret is the right word for something I didn't have much choice in at the time! But I still hope and plan to put up a separate building for hay. Someday.

My tack and feed are in one room, about 12x12. I have 3 horses. The space is tight but works ok. If you go with a separate feed area and then a 12x12 tack, I bet you will do all right. I prefer feed being in an enclosed room and not open. I've never had rodents in my tack/feed as I'm diligent about keeping the door closed and it was built properly.

I don't have to worry much about blankets drying as mine dry on the horses most of the time, but I've seen others talk about a blanket closet and I think that is a great idea. If you had something like that built into a wall near the tack or other heated room, and figured out a way to heat it...that would be such a neat thing. Have to rodent proof it too, lest they move in.

Good luck with your project!

Comment

I have a combintion feed/tack room that is 8x12. It is plenty big enough for me (no boarders.)

Along one of the 12' walls, I have 6 saddle racks, 2 bridle racks that hold 6 bridles each, and 3 bars that I hang saddle pads, etc. on.

One the short wall, I have storage drawers of various sizes that stack to make a unit - bought those at Wal Mart. They have medicine, wraps, etc. in them.

On the other long wall, I keep my feed and have a standing shelving unit with supplements. Have another standing shelving unit with grooming stuff, fly spray, etc. and another set of stackable drawers with misc. stuff in it.

It is plenty big for me and has worked great for 4 years.

Comment

One thing that I did in the feed room was put a shelf where individual pitchers can be lined up on from the inside right above the grain bins. It has a drop down flap on the wall right behind it that opens out on the aisleway. Go in the room to fill the pitchers, each with the horse's name on it, then do out in the aisleway, drop the flap, and deliver 4 at the time to the right buckets.

It saves going in and out of the feed room more than once per feeding.

We started with an 8 x 12 tackroom years ago, and then during one barn enlargement (there were several), we took in the 10' wide stall beside it, and made the room 12 x 18.
                      www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

You can do feed bins in the open aisle, as long as they're horse-proof. At one barn, they constructed very sturdy bins with plywood and 2x4s. Build it as small or big as you want, and you can attach it to the wall behind it to make sure it's totally secure. The key to making it horseproof was that the lids lifted upwards and had a recessed handle (something like this). So there was nothing that a horse (or raccoon) could effectively grab to lift the lid. The other nice thing they did was to slope the floor of the bins forward, so the last bits of grain would settle at the front where it was easy to scoop up. Here is a crude drawing. I plan on building something like this once I get my barn floor in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                          I keep my feed in the tack room with the door closed to marauding horses. So far, none of them have learned to turn the knob on the door.

Now that I have an extra stall, I just hang blankets to dry in the extra stall, but they can take forever to dry if it's cold and damp. I will, on occasion, hang them in the tack room with a fan on them to dry them quickly...but my tack room is not heated.

I'm not a fan of storing a tractor near hay...will you have a firewall between the two?
                          Yes, for sure. I wanted to keep the hay totally separate. There will be a firewall between the hay and the barn and between the hay and tractor area. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by clanter View Post
                            Whatever size you built it will be just a bit smaller than you need. We have Morgans, the tack room is full, the garage is full of tack also, then there are the trunks full of stuff in the spare areas of the barn. We have overhead storage, which is also full... now that everything is full nothing more can be bought, job done.
                            You made my husband laugh when he read this. He thought it was very wise!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I am going to save all of your suggestions as we continue planning. I will definitely check back on this thread, though, so keep the suggestions coming if you have them.

If anyone has any pictures of small-medium horse barns and/or layout ideas, let me know! I love to look and see what others have done.

Also, we are going to look further into a separate hay storage building versus having one big building with a firewall. Please keep chiming in your opinion on this issue. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X