• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Realtors in Ocala

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtors in Ocala

Looking for a good, agressive, farm, buyers rep/ realtor in the Ocala area.
    We are out of state and would like to find someone who would actually be interested in helping.
    Last one I contacted couldn't be bothered sending additional pictures of a property for which she was the listing agent. I know they get a lot of tire kickers, but she didn't bother to pursue further. Market must be good.
    And additionally, what is the market like there now? TIA

All I know is when I drive home up 225A, which is a superhighway of gorgeous farms, theres more for sale signs than I can even count. You really need to make a trip here and look yourself, I think you'll be amazed how much is for sale.

Comment

We are herw now. We are looking on the west side--cheaper than the east side. Boocoo bunches of for sale signs. On both sides of town. And a lot are for sale by owner. If that tells you anything. So yes, book a SW flight into Orlando, find a flight into Gainesville, and get your butts down here for a week or so. NOW.

Comment

They are selling parcels of Irish Acres. Nice looking land. I think they are going as farmettes.
        “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

• Original Poster

We plan to make the trip soon.
          MeghanDACVA I'm confused, you say the west side is less expensive. Do you mean west of I-75? I really don't find much in the MLS listings on the east side.
          I think we would be looking between Rt 27 and 75 on the northwest quadrant.
          Any help appreciated. Realtors?
          Microbovine where is Irish Acres?

Comment

Irish Acres is one of the first big farms you see heading south along 301. I think the other poster may be talking about Dunnellon. I would also look at Alachua, which is north towards Gainesville. Ocala and Dunnellon is more old folks while closer to Gainesville is more vibrant, young and liberal. The further south, the older (plus Ocala is north of that nasty massive old folks community, The Villages).

It depends on what you like. I find the older communities to be grumpy and unfriendly so we live between Gainesville and JAX. Also, don't rule out Old Town and Micanopy. Strong word of warning, thoug, if you want rural Florida, you'll get along best if you attend the local church. In most towns entioned, that would be conservative Baptist. Rural Florida can still be backwards in atitudes. We are only friends with others who have moved to our area. None of the locals talks to us excpt to invite us to their church (we have told them we already have our church. We would not be invited to the local church if we were black. And, yes, our son is going to a school 30 minutes away at private school. Dunnellon has a lot German churches (Lutheran). Gainesville has everything and is much more accepting.

St. Padre Pio

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Microbovine, but we're set on Ocala, plus we're old. This would be for a winter farm only, and thankfully don't have to worry about schools or churches.

Comment

Ah, well, see if Irish Acres is still parceling. There are also lots of the big gorgeous farms that are desperate for boarders. You could buy the open land and build it how you want while your horses are boarded. I would research open barn plans with good air circulation. Also, import hay unless you want to roll the dice with coastal. Most hay farmers cut it too low and a lot of sand is sucked in during baling. Sand Clear, or other similar product, is a must when feeding local hay or pasturing on closely clipped pasture. Sand colic is very common.

St. Padre Pio

Comment

just type Ocala horse farms for sale

into your search. Ocala Horse Properties. You'll get the two brothers, who will deluge you with emails and phone calls. You will, depending on your $$$$$ get assigned to an agent. I sent one little email to them 4 years ago and I'm still getting solicit stuff. They will take you a tour, they will be aggressive and they will return your calls. They emailed me a "driving" tour of the big dog areas (none of which I could have afforded) .

Just be honest and up front about where you want to be and what you want to spend, they will try to get it done.

This is only my experience, others may have had different ones, but they do seem to be a presence in the Ocala horse community.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                    into your search. Ocala Horse Properties. You'll get the two brothers, who will deluge you with emails and phone calls. You will, depending on your $$$$$ get assigned to an agent. I sent one little email to them 4 years ago and I'm still getting solicit stuff. They will take you a tour, they will be aggressive and they will return your calls. They emailed me a "driving" tour of the big dog areas (none of which I could have afforded) .

Just be honest and up front about where you want to be and what you want to spend, they will try to get it done.

This is only my experience, others may have had different ones, but they do seem to be a presence in the Ocala horse community.
                    OK, I know of them, can't swing a dead cat and all that, and do like the fact that they sponsor a lot of horse events in that area. I was afraid that they would be too busy to deal with the smurfs. I know there are realtors on COTH and I don't want to get their fur ruffled, but I have had a few experiences where the realtor doesn't want to do any work and it becomes the buyer's second job. That's why I was looking for recommendations. Good to hear that they actually want to sell properties. Thanks.

Comment

I never got the idea that Irish Acres was mini farms. Its directly across the street from Stronach's new golf course. I think its only one acre parcels, not farmettes. If you head north on 301, getting upwards towards the Anthony/Sparr/Citra/Reddick area, theres oodles of farms there, and its a really nice area. I may be a bit biased, since Ive lived there for 10 years, but I love it there. Close enough to town (within 10 miles of Ocala and 30 miles of Gainesville) yet far enough out to be very peaceful and quiet. And horse farms everywhere.

Check trulia.com. Check those areas I mentioned, and I think you'll get a pretty good idea of whats available.

Comment

I'm south of Ocala and around here the small farms/farmettes are selling pretty quickly so maybe you need to come down in person and look around. that's what I'd suggest if you're planning to purchase right away, otherwise anything you see or get info on now, may not be available when you get here.
                        "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Also be aware their is a vein of really good soil that runs north and south. Its where the original TB farms back in the early 60's set up shop. Unfortunately the town of Ocala has taken up a lot of that ground, but if you go north or south of town, you may still get good soil. When you start to go too far east or west, you get into very sandy soil. As you're driving around, check the trees. If its a lot of pine trees, you're in a sandy area. If its live oaks, its more loamy. Im in a very loamy area, so I have dirt, same as I had in NJ. And it grows grass like crazy.

Comment

Halo, you would know better since you live in Ocala.

The good soil isn't necessarily where oaks are. You have to see the soil. We have plenty of mature oaks as shade trees in our pastures and some of the sandiest soil in Florida.

St. Padre Pio

Comment

Duplicate post.

St. Padre Pio

Comment

No realtors - but you can try looking at this site:

http://ocala4sale.com/real-estate/ocala-homes-sw.php

I gave link to SW Ocala region but there are links at the top of the page from NW, NE, etc...

Best of luck!
                                Now in Kentucky

Comment

Realtor in Ocala

Yes I know one ME! I am the type that works on Sundays, no family, just horses and dogs. My objective for buyers is to find them a farm, not sell my own listings. Been a Realtor for 13 yrs. I specialize in Horse Farms, have ADD for answering my phone.

Comment

Ocala Real Estate Market

There is a lot of inventory and some great buys in Ocala right now. Most of the farms are WAY overpriced, unrealistic especially since recent sales will not support the price of some listings, hence not acheiving appraised value, then no loan.. ( I only list what I know I can sell..BTW) However if you make lowball offers ( which I am not afraid to do for a client, infact they bring me joy!), you will be surprised. Farms are selling for 30% less than asking quite often. You just have to throw a lot of "you know what" against the wall as far as offers and something will stick.

My advice to anyone buying and paying cash in Ocala GET AN APPRAISAL and make your contract contingent upon buyer`s approval of apprasial. Unless you have a super sharp Realtor that will show you recent sales. Demand that in fact.
                                    This will protect those of you who are in uncharted waters.

Karen Grimes
                                    The Ocala Realtor

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies. I actually left for Ocala before I received some of the suggestions. Farmtours sorry i missed you. Having just returned I can say i agree about the inflated prices, but not knowing the market it was hard to tell long distance. There are quite a few properties that were purchased at the height of the market and they want to make some appreciation and also ones that people are trying to flip, good luck with that. Saw one property that was purchased last year for 750K they tore out all the fencing, tore down the house and barn filled in the pool and now want 250K more
                                      A few others that added paint and did a little remodeling, nothing fancy, and want to make a 25% profit.
                                      I suppose if you don't do your homework you can believe the hype. But with all the property records available online including sales for the last few years, it certainly paints a different picture.
                                      Thanks also for the help with the soil types, and also noted that a lot of properties in the area have serious water and drainage issues, enough that many require the purchase of flood insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                      X