• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trailer shopping!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer shopping!

So, having been a horse owner for a few years now I think the time has come to purchase my own trailer and stop hitchhiking with anyone who will let me Goals for it are short local trips to shows and trails, and to have on hand just in case we need to go to the vet school 30 minutes away. Budget is under $2k. Preferably closer to $1k if I can get something absolutely safe for that. Willing to do some work, but would prefer something ready to go.

So far, that puts very very old 2 horse straight loads and stock trailers within my budget range. Anyone want to weigh in on pros or cons of straight versus stock? So far I have:

Stocks: Cons: often not very tall, probably very cold in winter (when I wouldn't be going anywhere often), Pros: seem to be cheaper, more room for horse to move side to side to get comfortable.

Straight: Cons - not sure, but read that horses are more comfortable not standing straight Pros: under manger tack storage in some

Also, anyone have any ideas for places to look other than ebay, horseclicks, craigslist? There is a dealer in my state but 3 hours away.

Thanks!
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Horses are easier to load in a stock trailer, generally. I just sold my stock/combo for $2500, so you can probably find something reasonably close within your budget. Frame, floor, and tires would be the big priorities.

Comment

www.horsetrailerworld.com

Comment

It depends on what you are towing with, but as for straight vs. stock, there is little difference to me there. My horses prefer the dividers in the straight so they can lean on them for balance, but I still have stock sides b/c I am ventilation nazi. Horses just like to get in where there is light and air and space. The only warning would be to NOT get anything under 7' tall unless your horses will always be 14 hands. I learned that one the hard way, sold first trailer (a great 88 WW, just too short) to people with ponies.
        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

OK, my opinions. NO manger in front trailers. I've seen too many horses panic and rear up, getting their legs stuck in the mangers....And there's no forward leg room with them. And they're hard to clean, AND they'll rust first on a steel trailer. AND the 'escape door' on those types is usually a half door....try to get out one fast and you'll see you don't want that.

Straight loads are fine, but be sure it isn't a 'rattletrap'. I had an older Cotner 2H straight that was in need of.....help. My horse got progressively worse riding in it because I'm sure he thought it was going to disintegrate any time, due to the thinness an rattling-ness of it. I also think the back ramp, though closed, allowed for him to see far too much happening at the rear, meaning traffic, interstates type. That'd make me nervous, too.

What area are you in?

Make sure it's light colored inside, or be able to paint it with something like Rustoleum in white or gray (non gloss) after you get it. Good windows and ventilation. Bus windows aren't great ventilators, but if you have windows near the head that'll help.

I'm betting you can find something, though it may not be fancy.
          "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

The one challenge with your stated budget is that it puts you at the mercy of much older trailers. That poses several issues that you'll need to be very careful about:

1) Condition...rust, floor, brakes, tires, etc...everything safety related must be checked carefully to insure that remediation is possible and financially viable

2) Size...a large percentage of trailers of older vintage don't fit today's horses very well and sometimes the very style of the trailer is confining and uncomfortable for the horse. Some don't even have proper escape doors. Be sure that any trailer you consider is sized appropriately for your horse(s) and will allow safe handling...by today's standards

When I was trailer shopping, I did look at a few that were in the $1K-2500 range. most were rust-buckets; some were doable, but shorter in height than I would have preferred and would have required putting a bit of money into them to make them road-worthy and horse-safe. I then got lucky and found a 2004 vintage trailer in outstanding condition for $4K on Craig's List. It "sold" before I could respond, but that deal fell through and the seller recontacted me. So the moral to that story is take your time and find the right trailer for you...it's not just about money, but also suitability.

Comment

Originally posted by Melelio View Post
              OK, my opinions. NO manger in front trailers. I've seen too many horses panic and rear up, getting their legs stuck in the mangers....And there's no forward leg room with them. And they're hard to clean, AND they'll rust first on a steel trailer. AND the 'escape door' on those types is usually a half door....try to get out one fast and you'll see you don't want that.

Straight loads are fine, but be sure it isn't a 'rattletrap'. I had an older Cotner 2H straight that was in need of.....help. My horse got progressively worse riding in it because I'm sure he thought it was going to disintegrate any time, due to the thinness an rattling-ness of it. I also think the back ramp, though closed, allowed for him to see far too much happening at the rear, meaning traffic, interstates type. That'd make me nervous, too.

What area are you in?

Make sure it's light colored inside, or be able to paint it with something like Rustoleum in white or gray (non gloss) after you get it. Good windows and ventilation. Bus windows aren't great ventilators, but if you have windows near the head that'll help.

I'm betting you can find something, though it may not be fancy.
              I just sold my CM Saratoga (for $4500 to the first person who saw it)which had mangers. There was a FULL door between the mangers into the dressing room. I never had a problem with them.
              I wasn't always a Smurf
              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

But carol, that kind of feature in a trailer is probably not going to be found in OP's budget....

I'm sticking by my dislike of mangers.
                "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

I would avoid mangers too. I find horses don't like having to keep their heads in that confined space. I got a 1999 2H straight load Bison for $4500. Good condition, new tires, sufficiently tall, well-maintained and recently inspected. I agree with the above poster that you should up your budget a bit so you can find something safe. I looked and looked but ended up finding mine through my farrier, so you may want to put word out that way too.

Make sure your intended towing vehicle is appropriate for the trailer you get!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I have an old but good condition Chevy 1500. I live in Wisconsin, land of ice. I didn't know some horses don't like mangers, mine have been doing fine in one with mangers but perhaps they would be even better without.
                    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Comment

I have a steel stock trailer with a divider diagonally across at the front so you can have a separate tack area, or leave it open for more room. 7ft 6 tall, and big enough for two horses + tack room. It was only 4k new, so definitely doable used. I prefer stock trailer because in the event of an accident (rapid deceleration) you are most likely to have the horse thrown forward, and the last thing you want is for them to be thrown forward onto their head and neck. Better to have their butt take the impact, so I like my guys to travel backwards - and that's what they all choose to do in the stock trailer.

Comment

In your budget you are really going to have to be flexible and take your time looking at what's available in your area. Look at anything that might fit your need and budget and go from there. Think long and hard about things you've liked and disliked about trailers you've used in the past. Come up with a list of the must haves and go from there.

A few years back when we were looking for our first trailer the must haves were a ramp and it had to fit my big wb. Other than that we were quite flexible on the layout and features. After looking at a lot of trailers we ended up finding a late 90s model straightload that fit the bill. It had some rust but was overall in great shape and came in under budget at $1800. It has been a great trailer and worked prefectly for what we needed. My friend still has it and uses it regularly.

Since then I've upgraded and when I was looking this time my budget was a bit bigger and my must have list was more specific. For example the escape doors on the first trailer were those smaller half doors of which I am not a big fan. So one of my big things on this search was I wanted full sized escape doors and a dressing/walk-in tack room along with a ramp and being WB sized. I ended up buying and selling a few trailer before I settled on the right one but thankfully I found the right fit for me and my herd.

Comment

I think escape doors are a priority. If you have a tricky loader and need to walk in with him, you need to be able to walk straight out without ducking under dividers and whatnot to get out. My trailer now is my dream trailer except that there is no front escape door, which is how I found myself climbing out the window at 5 months pregnant so I didn't interrupt learning to trailer load well (it worked). He trailers fine now, but I wish I had a door.
                          Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

I grew up with 2 horse bumper pulls with mangers and the first two trailers I owned were exactly like that. However, I would never own another one again because horses can and do get their front feet up there and it's a pain in the butt to get them out. I've helped a friend get their 14.3 hand Morgan out of the manger of their tiny old straight load and I've helped a friend get her 15.2 hand quarter horse out of the manger of her fancy-pants, all aluminum, slant load Sundowner.

I even quit using the corner hay bags in my slant load trailer after my then yearling got one of his front legs in the hay bag. He didn't panic or freak out but it was back breaking for me to unclip the corner feeder with his weight in it. Grrrr. Now I use a hay net tied high.

OP, my advice is to save up money and get yourself into the $2000/$3000 price range for a trailer. In the $1500 and under you are going to be dealing with some very old trailers that have hard wear and tear on them.

Comment

I found my trailer on a local equestrian website and only paid $2,000 for it. It took me a while to find what I wanted - I was looking multiple times a day in various places. I think I found it about 5 minutes after it was posted. You have to be quick since ones like this go VERY fast. And I looked at quite a few other trailers that were more expensive and total crap.

I've had to put a little bit of work in to it, but it was totally worth it. It's older but a very solid, quality trailer (Valley). Do you have anywhere local you can put up a "Trailer Wanted" ad? I did that as well and included my requirements and price range.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...82731912_n.jpg

Comment

• Original Poster

Update! I found a trailer! 7' tall 2 horse bumper pull, right at my optimum price ($1500) and BLUE to match the truck! It was originally the kind without a manger, but the guy who fixed it up put in half doors in front instead of the bars. I could reverse that easily if I wanted it. New reinforced floor, everything newly painted, new tires, good hitch, very little rust on the bottom. Only thing it needs is new padding inside and brakes hooked up, and new windows. I am so excited to bring it home tonight. Any ideas for DIY padding? I don't even know where to look for materials. I might just ask the trailer shop to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X