• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to safely split paddock in half - NEW QUESTIONS POST 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to safely split paddock in half - NEW QUESTIONS POST 10

I'm currently horse shopping and assuming that I bring another horse home, I'll need to figure out how to divide my current 35x100' sacrifice paddock into 2 paddocks. This is, of course, complicated by the fact that the orientation of the barn to the pasture isn't optimal (we didn't build).

I'm pretty sure that the dimensions work out well to divide it in 2 using metal panels, but I can't figure out how to secure next to the barn and next to the existing fence (I won't hit an existing fence post when I hit the fence). We'd like whatever we do to be fairly temporary as we would anticipate removing it in the next couple of years if/when we get back down to 1 horse or everyone proves capable of getting along.

Here's an aerial image of the barn / gravel paddock, surround sheds, and alley out to pasture (top end of gravel area). It's a pole-barn with metal siding.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8464/8...fdb6dc87_o.jpg

I've drawn in what I think works best. Giving the front two stalls (1 QH and the mini-mule) an L-shaped paddock and the back stall a rectangular one. It would preserve the ability to drive a truck/tractor out to the pasture and mean that the gate to either paddock could be open to alternate access to the pasture. In the drawing the green line is where I anticipate installing panels within the existing fence lines.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8084/8...06dc4974_c.jpg

But how do I secure the two ends??? Can I set an 8' t-post (capped of course) at either end and secure to that? Or do I need to set wood posts? Do I angle the long side slightly so I can secure to a wood post on the far top/left end and use a t-post up against the barn?

Advice? Ideas?
    Last edited by UrbanHennery; May. 19, 2013, 06:04 PM.

I do not see why you could not use a capped metal post to secure to.

Comment

Why don't you use electric tape and step in poles? Easy, removable.... and perhaps safer than a series of panels linked together....

Comment

To connect panels to our barn, we used two huge eye hooks (in place of the "v" on opposite panel) and slid the pin through: top eye hook, gate, bottom eye hook. If you are using the opposite end of the panel you need four eye hooks (2 for each panel pin slot). Happy to take pics for you tomorrow. I think you could do the same thing at the fence connection and maybe also use a post for extra strength. Let me know if you'd like pics.

PS- I think your proposed setup looks great!

Editing: not sure if it was clear that we screwed the eye hooks into the barn
        "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

• Original Poster

OTTBcooper - pics would be great! I'm not sure that I can screw directly into the barn (there's no structural post right where we'd be connecting) but I'm not opposed to sinking a post in concrete there. If we ever pull out the panels it could be used for scratching...

Lorilu - I could use tape and posts, but somehow panels feels safer to me. I hate tape even though I've used it for cross fencing and such. Also, I'd probably need to add another charger as I think my current one is pretty maxed out.

Nashfad - yeah, part of me thinks the metal posts would be fine. Especially if we used the super heavy duty ones. Might be worth trying and then deciding since I've already got some t-posts I could use. Worst case we move the panels and sink a wood post.

Comment

I had to put up some temporary fencing this past summer when we removed all the old fences and put in chain link. We used the 16' cattle panels, and t-posts. Posts were driven in every 8 feet to provide extra support, as the panels do tend to 'wow' a bit. Just wired them on. Was an inexpensive (panels just happened to come on sale at TSC when we needed them) and easy way to put up a fence.
            What you allow is what will continue.

Comment

As others have said, capped t-posts work fine. We secured ours with strong, thick baling twine (not small bale twine, but the really heavy stuff they use to hold together 21 small bales into mega-bales). Works great and is easy to manage.
              Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

• Original Poster

eponacelt - that's so good to know! Now to figure out how to deal with the slight slope away from the barn. Great for drainage, hard for leveling anything...

Comment

OP here are a few pics of how we secured each "end" - I like the idea of the capped t-posts between each of the free standing connections!

Close-up

Shot of both connectors against the barn
                  "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

• Original Poster

I was able to put this project off by leasing out my trail horse for a couple of months. Unfortunately my lessee lost her job and so he's coming home next weekend.

Panels are just proving complicated - for a lot of reasons I don't feel like typing out.

Soooo, can I do the same layout using electric? I've already got a charger that keeps our EquiFence and cross-fencing at 8,000 volts. With a little effort I can dig a trench to connect the new fence to the existing.

Everyone out there is really respectful of hot fences. I'm thinking of using either 1-1/2 tape or poly rope (preferred) and making the paddocks I drew in Post 1.

I've been to a lot of barns around here that have similar layouts done with 1/2" tape, and obviously it's working for them... Concerns I should be aware of?

If this is feasible, can I use capped t-posts for the whole thing? Or do I really have to set wood posts for the ends / corner? I'd prefer to keep it all easily removed, but I suppose that setting the posts in gravel wouldn't be that much work.

Comment

Reading your original post, I was thinking e-fence would be the way to go over the panels.
                      They say you should have concrete-set wooden posts as end/corners, but I've gotten away without it. The only trick is that the "end tensioners" I have are built to be screwed into wood, not t-posts. So I've had to get creative in using the t-post thingies as end-tensioners. The way I see it, if they do any more than briefly touch it, the hot tape isn't going to hold anyway. And it's not like you're using it for perimeter fencing.

My only concern is some horses (like mine) have such respect for hot wire/tape that 18'/16' might be a tight enough squeeze to make them nervous. If you want super-easy, you can get those cheap plastic "posts" for the e-fence. We used those all the time to move my horses around to graze in different spots when I was a kid.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think these guys will be okay in the space - they graze right up against the perimeter fence and stand against it in the current paddock. I guess if it doesn't work I can always re-evaluate.

Yeah, I've already done some "creative" tensioner building on t-posts for my cross-fencing under the same theory. I guess I'll have to hit the farm store tomorrow and start figuring it out.

Comment

I have some subdivision fences that keep the horses out of the berry vines and we use two el cheapo TSC tapes on step ins, and big alligator clips to fasten to the hot EB (and a chunk of pool liner to hold the clips with, the plastic is a joke). The Eb people actually advertise that you can extend fencelines simply by mating a new strand to a charged strand at any point, although putting a t-post close by gives support.

I've taken the spring gate handles and just hung it on the wire electric fence we use on the pig enclosure too. I wouldn't be doing that for a true exterior fence or if I thought we'd have horse interaction problems., it's very "permorary".

We have rock problems here so wood posts are really hard to set and we use t-posts for end posts by bracing them, takes three posts like this |\| and hardware you can get at TSC. If you don't brace they can be bent over if you use them as ending points.

We put them in the ground and yank them out all the time, I sure wish we had nice wooden permanent posts but we haven't got a rock drill.
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

When you make the braces with t-posts, do you have to cut off the "fin" that normally goes underground? Or is it just turned so its out of the way?

Comment

DH leaves them, turned so they are out of the way. Not 100% safe.
                              Incredible Invisible

Comment

Our sacrifice lots are constructed with metal panels that use chains to link together rather than pins.

I drove a 6 or 7-foot T-Post on the "outside" side of the perimeter...one between every-other panel joint. I used the chains to link the panels together around the T-Posts.

I didn't use caps because the posts are on the outside of the lot, but there is no reason you couldn't use the same method for your dividing.

Toughest part about using panels is your land needs to be rather flat, or you'll have trouble getting the panels to line up evenly.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanHennery View Post
                                  When you make the braces with t-posts, do you have to cut off the "fin" that normally goes underground? Or is it just turned so its out of the way?
                                  Don't you have to sink the tpost into the ground below the fin for maximum stability? That's what we've done...

Comment

I used eye bolts and ground rods like for an electric fence and pounded them into the ground this gave a nice secure connection. I also used the ground rods on my connections to keep panels secure. I have a horse that is hard on panels so far I have not problems.
                                    Last edited by DebraO; Aug. 25, 2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: add more

Comment

gate dividing paddocks

I need a stall guard that is 6 feet wide to divide my paddocks at night. My horse paws the gate until it will not even open, I have tried no climb wire across with not luck. I was thinking a stall guard. Does anyone have Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by DebraO View Post
                                        I need a stall guard that is 6 feet wide to divide my paddocks at night. My horse paws the gate until it will not even open, I have tried no climb wire across with not luck. I was thinking a stall guard. Does anyone have Ideas?
                                        My dad made for me long ago a slip bar gate. He took two chunks of rebar, bent them into a [, drilled holes and drove them into the two uprights on either side of the gate at about 3 and a half feet, lining them up so that a 2X4 would go into both of them and stay level. There were originally two at two heights but two were a pain and we had no ponies so one worked. We had to make a secure closure as my horse would fuss with the end of the 2X and eventually work it so it fell down and she could walk over. He drove a staple with a big washer/ring hanging from it into the bottom of one side of the 2x near the end, and fastened a hook on a chain to the fencepost, or a snap would work but a hook never freezes shut, and the hook on the fencepost went into the washer on the bar, the chain was just short enough that the bar wouldn't fall out. We had also made one where we used horseshoes to support the bar but they weren't quite big or sturdy enough.

They don't clear the opening all the way without a bit of work but if you push the 2x aside about 2 feet and drop it on the ground it functions fine.
                                        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Working...
                                        X