• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A spring without a garden? Talk to me about container gardening...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A spring without a garden? Talk to me about container gardening...

We're not really at a point in our property renovation to be putting in a permanent garden - moving fences, adding and subtracting trees and bushes and removing trash and odd, buried junk - yet. However, I can't really imagine a spring without a garden. Has anyone had good experiences with container gardening? What about straw bale gardens? Topsy-turvy gardening?

In past gardens (in a different location, with different soil) I primarily focused on tomatoes, peppers, and beans, because that was what grew best and didn't require a lot of upkeep besides water 'n weed. At one point I was harvesting over 5lb of cherry tomatoes a week from just two massive, overgrown plants. I also had corn. Love corn, and it grows well here.

Ideas? I don't need to do a full garden, and I don't really have time for that right now anyway, but I would like to have at least a few plants.

I had a small patch of sunlight at our last place and used half wine barrels and a small plot in the ground to garden. I managed to grow quite a bit...you can do a lot in containers. Go for it! I grew pole beans, beets, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, peas, etc. in half barrels and planter boxes. Haven't tried straw bale gardening but it looks cool.

Comment

You can grow just about anything in containers.
      Heck - when I lived in the Big City I grew lettuce and tomatoes (full-sized) in window boxes on my deck.
      Most seed companies now have container-sized veggies - Burpee just came out with a sweet corn designed for containers!
      Watering is your biggest problem since containers tend to dry out a lot quicker than plants in the ground.
      Look into simple raised beds or square foot gardening.
      I know straw bales have fans , but that method failed for me.
      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Everything you mentioned witht the exception of corn grows great in containers. If it were me, I would probably do 2 or 3 tomato plants, 3-5 pepper plants, beans however many I felt could fit in my container, and then I'd probably do a few "bag garden" sections of sweet corn. That way everything is non-permanent until you get your more permanent layout set. In case you don't know it, a bag garden is just that. You buy bags of garden soil/compost/potting soil. Lay them flat on the ground with a few holes punched in the underside for drainage. Cut a square out on top and plop in your seeds. Corn when grown like that (or even in a square foot garden bed), can be planted much more intensively than done traditionally. I plant my corn every 4-6 inches in every direction. They grow up in a big "mass", but since I harvest by hand out of square foot garden beds I've never had a problem.

I too would avoid straw bale growing. I don't know anyone personally who tried it and had any luck actually growing anything but squash (which we all know grows EVERYWHERE! LOL)

Sheila

Comment

There are plenty of various veggies that have been adapted specifically to container gardening, or that do well anyway Tomatoes, peppers, cukes, various squash types, all the herbs do well, etc.

You just need big enough containers to accommodate good deep roots, a well-draining soil mix (or soil-less mix), and be ok with watering sometimes twice a day in the midst of Summer. For things that vine - cukes, squash, maters, etc - you need to plan appropriately to either grow them up, which means stabilizing so the whole thing doesn't topple, or to travel more horizontally. The latter will then provide nice shade under which you can grow things that require cooler weather - the greens. They'll still probably do poorly in July and August, but by shielding them from the worst of the sun, you can really prolong their Spring season and get an earlier start on the Fall season.

Comment

Fiance and I rent so don't have a garden, but we do have a large south-facing deck, so container gardening is it for us! It's impressive how much you can grow in containers. Last year we did tomatoes (4 kinds), potatoes (3 kinds), peas, zucchini (2 kinds), strawberries (2 kinds), and a whole ton of herbs. We had so many tomato plants we dubbed part of our deck "tomato forest!"

This year we are going to nix the zucchini and do radishes and carrots instead. Also some beans. We're also going to try a vertical pallet garden with lettuce.

Comment

You can get garlic going too! I double-dutied my garlic plots by putting radishes on top of them. I had several radish sections and would plant a new batch weekly, since in 2-3 weeks they are ready to eat, some varieties, and I always had a new batch going. They grow so quickly, and grow right on the surface, that they don't disturb the garlic. Then when you get a bit of garlic growth starting, you can stop with the radishes

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
                You can get garlic going too! I double-dutied my garlic plots by putting radishes on top of them. I had several radish sections and would plant a new batch weekly, since in 2-3 weeks they are ready to eat, some varieties, and I always had a new batch going. They grow so quickly, and grow right on the surface, that they don't disturb the garlic. Then when you get a bit of garlic growth starting, you can stop with the radishes
                If I recall correctly, garlic is not a great grower in my zone. I planted it in previous years with mediocre results.

Definitely will look into some containers. Container corn? My mind is blown!

Comment

Can't grow garlic? *sob* I'd be so upset! LOL Adding that to the long, long list of why I could never live in the PNW!

Ok, I just had to go look up some things because, well, that's what I do
                  http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/1068

Comment

Since I began having health issues a few years ago, I do almost all my gardening in containers on our deck. And I grow pretty much anything & everything I want - tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, okra, beans, carrots, beets, greens, flowers, herbs, - heck, this year I'm even going to do a few tubs of corn!! (Burpee has been advertising a new "mini" corn that only grows 4'-5' high & is suitable for container culture, so couldn't resist buying a packet to experiment with.)

All you need are containers of suitable size/depth for what you want to grow, along with the realization that you'll have to do more watering & feeding than you would with in-ground plants.
                    Last edited by Bacardi1; Feb. 4, 2013, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      Can't grow garlic? *sob* I'd be so upset! LOL Adding that to the long, long list of why I could never live in the PNW!

Ok, I just had to go look up some things because, well, that's what I do
                      http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/node/1068
                      Hmm...wonder what I was thinking of, then.

Comment

Well, I certainly don't doubt you had trouble! LOL It could have been the batch you had, something off with the soil, planted at the wrong time and it stayed too wet too long, and certainly there are varieties that do better in certain areas of the country over others.

Try again!

Comment

Save some money too and bring home some compost from deep in the manure pile for your veggies. I mix it 50/50 and I get tomatoes in containers that are 8 feet tall.

I usually grow tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers. All three can grow up and should grow up.

I live in Indiana and during the summer I water once a day, when it gets into the upper 90s I water twice a day.
                          http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

As far as what containers to use, if you have any old water troughs or bathtubs lying around, those make great "pots" for small "raised bed" gardens. You can grow potatoes in bags or rolled up snow fencing. Territorial Seed is your best bet for plants that will reliably grow in the Willamette Valley (and garlic grows very well here, as you learned). I only garden in raised beds now, and you could knock together a few, and fill with just composted manure, in a weekend. Then, when you are done, you can take them apart, or move them, too.
                            Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                              As far as what containers to use, if you have any old water troughs or bathtubs lying around, those make great "pots" for small "raised bed" gardens.
                              How did you know? Our yard is getting more redneck by the minute. First, we started with the old clothes dryer when it took a dive - then, the toilet. And we recently replaced our old claw foot tub with a nice, (MUCH BIGGER) new tub.

Yes, you read that right. My yard's got a dryer, a toilet and a tub.

I've got plenty of extra...stuff... to plant things in. Any reviews on those topsy turvy tomato things? I've got an overhang that would be an absolutely PERFECT spot to hang a few of those...

Comment

I haven't used "Topsy-Turvey" myself, but from what I've heard/read, they're a waste of money.

Comment

This will be my first summer with sunny land for a garden, but for the last 12 years I have been container gardening veggies. I agree with everyone, including that topsy turvy or the gourmet version the gardening mags have are a waste of money.

Self-watering containers are great if you want to go to the lake for 4 days in the hottest part of the summer. Also, I use judicious amounts of those water crystals--they made a big difference in my window boxes--can't tell as much in the super deep planters.
                                  DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Last summer we had over 90 days of over 100F and no one, in the ground or in containers, did get hardly anything to grow, no matter how much it was watered or protected from the searing hot winds.

We use plastic tubs the cattle supplement comes in, the size of half whiskey barrels, with holes drilled on the bottom.
                                    Generally you can grow two tomato plants to the tub, etc.

Hope this year will be better, but it looks like the drought will continue.

Comment

I've used the "up side down" containers for tomatoes and green peppers (Usually two plants per container of tomatoes) I then add some fertilizer to them. I also leave the lids off. Last year I tried two plants on the bottom and one on top. Mine get big & heavy - and would probably be bigger if they were not at the perfect height for the "deer buffet" that I grow

My favorite containers are the TALL supplement ones - I start a potato in each and as the plant grows, I just add dirt. Lots of small, yummy potatoes that I gig up in the fall/winter when the plant dies.

Comment

My biggest problem with the upside down ones was they needed to be watered more than I was willing to show up. I'm a water every-few-days kind of gal. I tend to forget. I do better with very large containers.
                                        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X