• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we talk about paddock gates? Is bigger REALLY better??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we talk about paddock gates? Is bigger REALLY better??

Do I really need a 16 foot gate on a 150 x 225' turnout-paddock? I was reading through threads and in typical COTH fashion I find "bigger is better," is the recommendation, but it tips me into thinking I need a smaller gate for daily use then...so now I need 2?

Also, 2" tube steel good enough? I am planning to get the nicer TSC one, unless someone has a brand that they recommend that is distributed around SD/MN/IA/NE as I can't imaine what shipping a gate would cost.

And finally, I thought I read somewhere that the mesh filled in gates could be dangerous, but I'm not seeing why? I mean this type: http://www.tractorsupply.com/wire-fi...14-ft--3610993 Also on this one, the 14 would be stronger than the 16' because the posts are closer...just saying. It just seems like if you are trying to keep dogs or something out this would be a better gate.

Thoughts?
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

big enough to get whatever you are driving to clean up in there through the hole.

The bigger is better is pretty much for the farm gate reserved, because you will be unhappy when the hay guy gets stuck or the hauler takes out one post by accident.

But I don't see how you should need anything bigger than 8 foot.

of course, wrestling a bigger gate in place might offer benefits in liue of gym memberships.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have a field access drive separate from the house drive (which is narrow) that is currently 25' wide to where the fencing starts on either side. I will probably gate that with two 12 foot gates on wheels (for sag), as it is basically the perimeter fence and will be used very rarely. So that makes sense to me. Also, that is where a fire truck would come--God forbid.
      DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I like my 8' gate for horsey in/out. Big enough for silly horse antics, small enough I can handle it one-handed. Bigger is not better when all that goes through it is you and a horse--wind is my enemy. We have wire filled gates on our driveway (one at each end) and with our rain, the painted Behlen brand have rusted on all the welds that hold the mesh to the tubular portions. Our bright, shiny galvanized version (more $$) into our pastures? Oh, those are awesome! As we replace the slowly dying ones, we'll use the shiny galv versions. I like the mesh ones, as gate-bangers can't hook a hoof, and our dogs can't get thru.
        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Big enough to get the biggest vehicle that would ever need to get in there. That can be a single gate, or it can be 2, either 50/50, or a bigger/smaller combination.

If you've got a straight run at the gate, it can be comfortably wide enough to get the largest vehicle through. But if the vehicle has to enter on an angle, it's got to be a wider opening.

My ring - 100x180, gate in the corner of the 100' side, is big enough to get a dump truck in for new footing if/when the need arises. Nothing bigger. Pretty sure it's a 10' gate but might be 8'.

Comment

I have two 4 foot gates to one of my fields. One gate right beside the barn, and one about 60 yards from that. I do also have 3 16 foot gates into that field as well (on different sides of the field).

I LOVE my 4 foot gates. Perfect for bringing horses In and out. Don't have to deal with swinging gates or other horses getting out.
            Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
            White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

The gate opening needs to be big enough to get in and out what you need to get in and out.

I'm not a fan of the big gates as they are problematical to install, keep hanging straight, and can be an issue for children or small adults to open and close.

So, if you need a 16 foot opening use two 8 foot gates. Easy to hang, easy to keep in place, easy to open and close.

G.
              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

No, you don't need a 16' gate for a smallish turnout. I have 8' gates on a couple of mine- easy to hang and open, and big enough to get the tractor and bush hog through. I also have a couple of 4' and 6' gates, but there's also a larger gate in those areas for equipment access. I only have 16' gates where I might need to get wider stuff through, like hay equipment, etc., through. The "free" end of the big gates sets on a chunk of treated fence post driven next to the post so the gate sets on it when closed and doesn't sag.

I just buy whatever's cheapest (1 1/2" ?) in the way of tube gates when I need to replace one- I've got horses, not bulls!

As far as the mesh gates for deterring dogs, I don't really see the point. I mean, my gates are hung at least a foot off the ground and just about any dog can squeeze under.

Comment

The federal width limit for commercial vehicles on the road is 8' 6", so accomodate that (hay/fertilizer deliveries etc.). If you have something you need to get through that is wider, then buy a wider gate.
                  ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I have 8' and 10' gates mostly ... I think our front entrance gate is 14' or 16' (whatever it is, big equipment, concrete and gravel trucks, etc. can make it through with no issue). One of my paddocks has only a 4' "man" gate that I can lead a horse through, and is fine for one horse and person, since that's the same width as a stall door and I don't have any hip hooking type latches protruding on it.

If you are going to do the electric tape fencing (from your other thread), you can always take it down if you need to, say, do a one time construction project and get through, as long as your posts are far enough apart. We do that when working in my gravel paddocks as they are cross fenced in Horseguard tape and maneuvering through the few gates can be a little difficult in our tractor.

I have the mesh filled gates and have not had a problem. I have electric across mine so horses don't lean or rub, and no gate pawers to worry about. However, my arena builder told me about one of his horses pawed at the gate, the mesh had come loose from the tubing, and cut the horse pretty badly. I monitor mine for loose welds and such hazards and they are still looking good after 5+ years.

The mesh filled aren't as strong, however, as they lack the additional tubes across. Our front gate is warped from SO plowing snow into it...had it been an all tube gate, that might not have happened.

Comment

I took lessons at a place that had regular garden gates, which weren't miraculous at holding in the slippery eel pony but were a lot easier to handle than a wide gate. Unfortunately that was the only entrance so anything requiring a truck to get in there was not happening anytime soon.

As far as vehicle entrances, it's been said already, straight shot can be narrower but anything with a turn or an angled approach needs to be wider.
                      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                      Incredible Invisible

Comment

I *hate* the 14' gate the previous owner of our property installed leading into the horse pasture. I'll be adding a 4' as soon as we are able to. I don't think the mesh ones are as sturdy as the non-mesh, and are more expensive. We just added no-climb woven wire to ours to keep the dogs out.
                        "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

It also depends on your fencing type. At our barn we have smaller gates for every day getting the horses in and out of. They are the same size as gates to a pre-fab round pen and they work wonderfully. However, all of the fields have opening in the fence line directly off the lane. These fences are electrobraid so it is as easy as unhooking the insulated handle to get the tractor with the bush hog in and out. I have also seen other farms with board fence that use sliding boards in one section that completely remove to allow tractor access.
                          Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                            The gate opening needs to be big enough to get in and out what you need to get in and out.

I'm not a fan of the big gates as they are problematical to install, keep hanging straight, and can be an issue for children or small adults to open and close.

So, if you need a 16 foot opening use two 8 foot gates. Easy to hang, easy to keep in place, easy to open and close.

G.
                            This, and i you are thinking about a 12 foot gate hand 2 8's instead. Wrangling a 12 foot gate can be a choer especially if you are leading a horse as well.
                            I wasn't always a Smurf
                            Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                            "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                            The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I have mostly 12' gates at my place but none of them are used for taking horses out of the pasture. I just do that by leading my horses through the barn (stall and slightly oversized people doors). Well, I *might* have a 10' by the barn but I don't really remember.

The only one that I wish was bigger is the one to the main pasture. It's hard to get the tractor/bush hog in there because it's a tight cut from the road. Problematic enough that I just cut a big enough path through the woods.
                              "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

FWIW - I have 2 8' gates and a 14' gate I lead horses in and out of. It's not a regular basis, but when I HAVE to be doing it, it's done for weeks at a time usually, and last Winter it was 4 months, and when my ring was being built, it was about 4-5 months as well. I routinely lead 2 or 3 at a time. But, my horses behave on the line, they know how to lead like that, these aren't boarders' horses, and, well, I just made it work because I needed it to work The gates had to be what they had to be, so I made it work.

Comment

I have a couple 8' and the rest 14'. I don't find the 8 footers any easier to handle with horses in hand. And if I'm leading more than one horse at time to turnout I wouldn't want anything smaller!

I wish the 8' were 14' as I have a 10' bush hog. I have a 14' gates elsewhere in those pastures but seeing as I don't find any advantage in the smaller gates it would be more convient to use either gate with the tractor.

Comment

My favorite set up at a place I leased was they had two gate openings: one was 16' long with two 8' gates for the big stuff like trucks, tractors, etc, and one 4' gate for getting horses out.

I actually like the 4 foot gates for herd because only one horse can get through at a time, no wiggly little worm squeezing their way through. YMMV.

Comment

Oh, to add to my original post... If I was looking to pull a horse out of my current pasture (instead of through the barn), a 4' gate would be my go to gate. I had one at my old place and it was great. I didn't have a barn, just run ins, and my gates were either a 12' or a 4'. Used the 4' way more than the 12' for day to day use.
                                      "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

Different locations, different purposes, different requirements on gate sizes and placement.

Here, all our pasture gates are 16'.
                                        That is best to get in and out with most anything, even some oilfield trucks, etc.

In the horse pens, we have 14' gates and the smallest gate you may ever have to go thru with a vehicle/tractor is 12'.

Any smaller than that, you are talking about being able to go thru safely with very small tractors/ATC/UTV/mowers only.

If the access to the gate is straight and the ground solid, you may get by with 10' gates.
                                        If you have to make a turn going in or out, if it is muddy or icy and slick, 12' would be the minimum and that will be tight if you start slipping.

Now, to walk horses thru only, whatever you are comfortable with is fine.
                                        In pasture situations, I still think 12' is handy for everything.

If you use a double gate, we like best to have one gate too long, so they overlap, unless we want to put a post in the middle of them that can be lifted out of the ground if we need the whole two gate length to get machinery thru.

If gates overlap, you can secure them better, so the wind doesn't blow them back and forth.
                                        Adding a pin on the gates to fix their end doesn't work good here, too windy, they still wiggle back and forth too much.

Remember, the bigger the gate, the bigger the post you need to hang it.

As you see, gates come in all sizes, can be hung in all kinds of ways and your imagination is the limit on how you can make them work for you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X