• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gardening: the 2013 season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
    I put two gooseberries in last year; so far have only gotten 2 berries so it's hard to know if they taste like I remember from my grandmother's farm. I don't recall them having those huge thorns! Maybe I never did the picking!
    Yup - those huge thorns. I remember them well. And I totally envy you those two berries!!!

Comment

Can someone advise me on the use of the stall waste in the raised beds?
      A little more info:
      Last year with put a thin layer of old stall waste on the bottom and filled up with bags of garden soil from home depot. Since fall when stuff started to die out I would put the older stall waste (you know when the shavings are really broken down not the huge flakes anymore) straight into the bed. I have all the beds full and looking fabulous. My DH says that the it is too fresh and nothing will grow this spring. I have been turning them occasionally to further compost what is in there, and added if I thought it looked a bit on the empty side.
      Should I add anything (nutrients)? Will anything grow?

Comment

DH is wrong. Poor thing.

Barn compost is perfectly usable 6 to 12 months after being piled/composted. I've been using it for DECADES, with wonderful results in both in-ground & in deck containers. So long as the product is well broken down & smells like good earth, the time frame means NOTHING.

Hopefully you made a good bet with DH re: this, because you won.

Comment

DH is wrong. Poor thing.

Barn compost is perfectly usable 6 to 12 months after being piled/composted. I've been using it for DECADES, with wonderful results in both in-ground & in deck containers. So long as the product is well broken down & smells like good earth, the time frame means NOTHING.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Katy9532 View Post
            Can someone advise me on the use of the stall waste in the raised beds?
            A little more info:
            Last year with put a thin layer of old stall waste on the bottom and filled up with bags of garden soil from home depot. Since fall when stuff started to die out I would put the older stall waste (you know when the shavings are really broken down not the huge flakes anymore) straight into the bed. I have all the beds full and looking fabulous. My DH says that the it is too fresh and nothing will grow this spring. I have been turning them occasionally to further compost what is in there, and added if I thought it looked a bit on the empty side.
            Should I add anything (nutrients)? Will anything grow?
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_frame (go to Hot Bed)

fresh, steaming manure is put in the bottom of the frame, then covered with soil. after a week or so uncovered, you put glass over it and you can start your seedlings early.
            This is how Jefferson did it, and all the gardeners, down to my grandma and my aunt: In January/February the hot bed is loaded with fresh, steaming horse manure! (Ok, it works like a charm with straw bedding/deep liter, not sure how pine works)

In a gardening book I read about putting fresh road apples on the top of potted trees in the fall, it being beneficial through the winter.

but yeah, after 6-12 month on the pile, it's good to go!

Comment

I don't think mine will get anywhere near 6 hrs of sun. They will only get a few hrs of morning sun.
              I find the plants get really spindly with that little sun and take twice as long to produce half as many potatoes that are a fraction of the size. That said, they are awfully tasty little critters, extremely tender and just bursting with lovely potato taste... not to mention digging for potatoes is so much fun no matter how few or how small... so I say go for it!
              Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
                DH is wrong. Poor thing.

This may be a little younger than 6 months. Guess we will see how well they grow!!!! Bless his heart!

Comment

Originally posted by buck22 View Post
                  I find the plants get really spindly with that little sun and take twice as long to produce half as many potatoes that are a fraction of the size. That said, they are awfully tasty little critters, extremely tender and just bursting with lovely potato taste... not to mention digging for potatoes is so much fun no matter how few or how small... so I say go for it!
                  Well I just bought 5lbs to plant around! I have the large load behind my barn, and a few other spots that I pile it up. I'm sure somewhere I will get some good poop potatoes!!!

Comment

This may be a little younger than 6 months. Guess we will see how well they grow!!!! Bless his heart!
                    I've used manure that's set a LOT less than 6 months... with mixed results. I put it in the beds, put straw or old hay over it, and let it sit for a few months. With good rain, it broke down well and was usable. Maybe I got lucky.
                    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

Came home to two wonderful packages today - some seed starting supplies from Jung's and a ton of seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I still need to order seed potatoes, sweet potato slips, onions, and leeks. And I forgot to order some herbs and banana pepper seeds, so I'll do that.

But the planting will commence! Going to be sowing lettuce, spinach, kale, and some other stuff tomorrow. And we'll be putting in some more raised beds tomorrow and I'll be digging up the nice, composted manure to use in those beds. Ah, gardening bliss begins!
                      Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

I'm going smaller this year. I seeded over the veggie garden last fall and am going to stick some veggies in with the flowers. Between work, a husband, two horses, a pony, dogs and a rental property to care for, I just don't have time for a big veggie garden. Being in Florida if you don't keep after the weeds, bugs (I'm Organic as much as possible) and water amounts your garden is soon taken over. Besides, all my friends with big gardens love to give me their extras!

I did plant a bulb garden beside the new shed. Tried sticking the bottom of a celery stalk in with a potted plant (got that off Pinterest) and it does totally work! So I'm gonna try more "garbage growing" along with my composting.

Also starting a new walkway from the front porch to the cars (don't really have a driveway yet) with the layered newspaper technique. I'll lay payers or stones once the grass is gone.

If only I could retire. I could play all day.....
                        Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

I'm so jealous of all of you who are already taking "spring" planting. My garden is still covered in snow. Guess I should be happy that it is only ankle deep and not the normal waist deep or more we usually have at this time of year. We do have spinach up under the snow and ready to take off once spring finally arrives - in a few months. The winter has been mild enough that we still had fresh broccoli at New Years day and one last salad from under the snow. Fresh potatoes, carrots, onions, and leek are all stored in the root cellar (aka the insulated, but barely heated tack room. Clever how I got DH & friend to build that.) Lots of other goodies in the freezer, so really we're eating very well.

To answer a few of you - raised beds with composted manure are THE best! When we moved to the farm 4 years ago, I filled 6 beds with fresh stall cleanings in the fall. By spring they were ready to be planted. We seed pretty close (not exactly square foot method, but do fill the beds), so no/minimal weeds to contend with. Those 6 4x8 beds are enough to feed a family of 4; can, freeze, and still supply the neighbors now & then. Onions & potatoes have their own little plots. Strawberries & brambles are on trickle, so just a matter of turning on the H2O. Other berries & herbs are worked into the edible landscape.

As the raised beds have settled, we refilled in the fall with composted manure. Of course "the boys" easily keep our 2 bins stocked. DH build me 2 nice permanent 12x16 bins on a slab for "early" Christmas last year. Soooo nice! (Guess I should leave town more often, if that's what happens when I go.) I wouldn't recommend using fresh manure directly on the beds or around plants. The ammonia is too concentrated and will burn plants badly. Also the decomposition process actually pulls needed nitrogen away from the plants. Composted 6 months or so it's great though - almost black gold - the nutrients have been broken down to available forms and if you use pelleted bedding the organic matter content/manure mix is near perfect!

For a little brag, if I may, see here for an early morning view of the garden beds:
                          http://www.thegoodstuffguide.com/garden-dream/

I don't want to run amuck of the mods, but if you read the comments, you may get some hints toward answering a lot of your other edible garden questions, such as the gooseberry/currant one.

As for the gooseberry/black currant question; yes white pine blister rust can be a concern, but for the most part a very minor one. Some states still have old laws on the books from the days when the lumber industry needed to be protected. Very few enforce those laws, although nurseries may refuse to ship to those states to cover their hindends.

Today there are disease resistant fruit varieties that can be planted as well as fungicides that can control the rust. Also, if the currants are planted a sufficient distance from the white pines the disease cycle is short circuited because the rust needs to infest both plants at different stages to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by fjordmom View Post

As for the gooseberry/black currant question; yes white pine blister rust can be a concern, but for the most part a very minor one. Some states still have old laws on the books from the days when the lumber industry needed to be protected. Very few enforce those laws, although nurseries may refuse to ship to those states to cover their hindends.

Today there are disease resistant fruit varieties that can be planted as well as fungicides that can control the rust. Also, if the currants are planted a sufficient distance from the white pines the disease cycle is short circuited because the rust needs to infest both plants at different stages to survive.
                            Yes, I've heard that there are now rust-resistant varieties out there, but since I already go thru yearly problems with Cedar-Apple rust, I'm leery to possibly introduce yet something else to have to deal with.

Currants do pop up at some of the markets around here; gooseberries less so. Will just have to keep my eyes (& wallet) open.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bacardi1 View Post
                              Yes, I've heard that there are now rust-resistant varieties out there, but since I already go thru yearly problems with Cedar-Apple rust, I'm leery to possibly introduce yet something else to have to deal with.

Currants do pop up at some of the markets around here; gooseberries less so. Will just have to keep my eyes (& wallet) open.
                              well, teh problem is that these plants can be carrier. meaning they don't get it, but can spread the rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                well, teh problem is that these plants can be carrier. meaning they don't get it, but can spread the rust.
                                I have no intention of buying plants - I'm talking about just buying the fruit.

Comment

ARgh. My limbs ache for dirt.

This week temperatures are predicated to fall below zero Fahrenheit.

Blah.

We plant some stuff at home, but also "co-op" with my parents. They have an enormous vegetable garden, but don't have the time to keep up with it and then they end up throwing stuff away.

We do always end up with a mega-weed-battle at my parents. Anyone have any suggestions? We tried straw last year and it helped, then it sprouted. My mother likes to put down newspapers, and weigh it down with rocks. Other locals say using the black plastic with soaker hoses is the only way to do it.

Can anyone recommend a soil testing kit? I know we have acidic soil, since we're in NE, but I have no idea if there is anything else I should be adding. My SO is fertilizer happy, as well, and I feel like he puts way too much on.

Comment

Oy vey!! Do I have to start thinking about the garden already?!?!? I just cut open my last spaghetti squash yesterday.

What will I plant? I am a negligent grower. I pop a bunch of stuff in the ground and hopefully it grows. I loved the heirloom tomatoes last year (lovely yellow/red and purple/red things) but they take forever to ripen. So maybe some industrial tomatoes this year too.

Need to put the peas in earlier. More wax beans. Zucchini, acorn, maybe butternut squash. I love the HOT peppers. They are the only plants the bugs don't touch !! And a bush of jalapenos is very pretty!! This year I mostly dried them out and put them in the coffee grinder. My own homemade hot pepper powder! Cucumbers usually do okay. Last year I did well with a basil plant. And we have spearmint which is such a weed I have to hack at it regularly.

I made several envelopes of my own seeds last year, so we'll see if any of those can be persuaded to produce.
                                    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

"If I can anything, I would can salsa or straight tomatoes. We love salsa. I have seriously considered getting a job at Chevy's to discover their salsa recipe. I know it is roasted and I love it."

The Chevy's recipe is online, just google it! the customer service gal who helped me track down a tomato shark (great in theory but not in practice I found) told me about it. We made a bunchon the grill last autumn and froze it. Maybe we'll do Mexican for diner tonight;-)

sorry, I haven't gotten the hang of the quote feature!
                                      Last edited by thathorse; Jan. 19, 2013, 07:02 PM. Reason: clarifying
                                      Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

Originally posted by fjordmom View Post
                                        For a little brag, if I may, see here for an early morning view of the garden beds:
                                        http://www.thegoodstuffguide.com/garden-dream/
                                        Beautiful pictures!!! And yes, the fog makes it more awesome!

We put in four 4x8 raised beds last year but will add two to the left side of this grouping:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/

It really is amazing how the raised beds make everything more manageable. Maybe partly just because you can say "I'm going to weed THIS garden before breakfast" and accomplish it, vs. saying "I'm going to WEED"...which can be very daunting!

We have three 3x6 beds against our garage (one still filled with beets under the snow!) that I am hoping to make cold frames for next month or so...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/

Has anyone built cold frames, and do you have any tips? I had thought about trying to get old windows or glass doors last year but didn't find anything, and then decided they might be too heavy and/or brittle. A friend made a simple one with a frame that just held plastic that rolled back, and I decided I was trying too hard. So I am trying to decide -- pvc hoops, or actual wooden "frames"...maybe with thick plastic instead of glass...? Anyone have any ideas?

Another project I would like to accomplish this year is a 2nd manure composting bunker....one that we could use more for gardening v. simply getting rid of manure & wood pellets. I'd like it to be more of the manure and old hay and minimal wood pellets -- so manure pickings from pastures and paddocks would all go in there, and no urine-soaked pellets from the stalls.

Well, the planning keeps me busy in the winter. Not sure it will get accomplished come spring....

No one has planted amaranth or quinoa, though?

Comment

Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                                          I just cut open my last spaghetti squash yesterday.
                                          OH NO!!!!! I forgot to put spaghetti squash on my seed order yesterday!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X