• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spoke too Soon.... Lambs Killed, Sheep Injured

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoke too Soon.... Lambs Killed, Sheep Injured

I have been posting on the other two dog attack threads and mentioned that we didn't have a huge problem where we are. I spoke too soon. Came home this evening to one dead lamb, one mortally injured lamb, and many injured and tramatized sheep. We are not 100% sure that this is a dog attack, but all the signs say dogs rather than coyotes. The attack occured during daylight hours. We do have coyotes around, but we are in a farmette type community. None of the lambs or sheep had throat wounds. Almost all of them had wool pulled from their backs, sides, and flanks. One has bloody wounds on her back and sides, but hard to tell how deep they are tonight. She will go to the vet tomorrow. Some have bite marks to the face.

I will describe the following damage to one of the lambs only to demonstrate why some of us shoot loose dogs found threatening livestock. Both lambs were 4 to 6 months old. One of the lambs was dead. It appears it was frightened into the water trough and drowned. The other one wasn't so lucky. It was still alive, and had been chewed on on its back and side. A hole about 6 inches by 6 inches had been chewed out over it's ribs. You could see the ribcage. As I said, this lamb was still alive. We had to shoot it to put it out of it's misery. The lamb in the trough had been there for hours. It was waterlogged and starting to freeze. No telling how long that chewed up lamb lay there suffering today. I am physically sick.

Animal damage control and sheriff were called and report filed. They will be setting live traps tomorrow. We took photos of the damage and I am hoping that if dogs are trapped, we can at least be paid for the lambs and vet bills. I don't know if we can ask the dog/dogs be euthanized but probably not. A few months ago, our neighbor had a llama attacked. No one witnessed this attack either, but the wounds were more typical of dogs.

Our poor sheep are hurt, scared, and tired. They are huddled up, heads over each others backs, sniffing at each other where the wool was pulled off. The chewed lamb was the baby of the ewe I bottle fed a few years ago. We have perimeter no climb fence as well as no climb fencing for pens and pasture fencing. We could see tracks running up one of the fences, they were defintely canine. We could not find where they dug in or squeezed through anywhere.

I am very worried for the safety of my mini horses. I am mad that I didn't come home during the lunch hour today. I came home yesterday because it has been much colder than normal the last couple of days and I wanted to make sure all the animals had free access to water. If I had come home today, maybe I would have caught them in the act, or maybe I would have a better idea of what time the attack occured. I am just sick over this.

Criminy. I am SO sorry. Hope whatever it was never comes back or is trapped without further damage to your sheep.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

Don't blame yourself.

My condolences BabyGoose. Nobody should have to go through this. And if all the dumbass dog owners would bother containing their dogs...*sigh*
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

So sorry for you and your animals. That must have been a horrific discovery to be made. Poor sheep/lambs. Hope you get the ones responsible...dogs and owners.
        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

I am so so sorry I can not imagine coming home and finding my lambs like that so devastating.

Hope you find the culprits and they are made to no longer be a threat.
          www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

Very sorry for your loss and the pain of seeing what happened. Hope you can catch the preds that did that to your flock and soon.

ML

Comment

I am so sorry for this horrible experience. I just have no words. I hope at least you can find out what happen so you can rest easy that it won't happen again.
              www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

I am so very sorry to read this and hope that you can catch the predator soon.

Comment

I am so sad for you and agree it sounds like dogs. I'm so sick of people not keeping their dogs up.

Comment

As a former sheep ranch resident, that does sound like dog activity and I can only imagine how upset your sheep are now.

I'm so sorry-I know how sickening it is to find your animals hurt like that, it literally makes my stomach hurt to think of it.

There is a good GP/LGD rescue with a lot of dogs out of the SW on facebook if you think you might be interested in trying that. Otherwise keep your eyes peeled and the gun by the door and SSS.
                    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

As a former sheep ranch resident, that does sound like dog activity and I can only imagine how upset your sheep are now.

I'm so sorry-I know how sickening it is to find your animals hurt like that, it literally makes my stomach hurt to think of it.

There is a good GP/LGD rescue with a lot of dogs out of the SW on facebook if you think you might be interested in trying that. Otherwise keep your eyes peeled and the gun by the door and SSS.
                      “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

That breaks my heart. I am so sorry for you and for your sheep and lambs. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to shoot your own lamb. So sorry.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is possible with your setup - but you can create your own camera surveillance. It's not expensive and might capture an image of the dog(s). More than likely they'll come back.
                          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Damn, I'm really sorry this happened to you and your sheep. My husband and I have been searching for years for a farmette so we could keep our animals, but your experience is one of my greatest fears.
                            You are what you dare.

Comment

I'm so sorry this happened.

Game cameras or video surveillance might be a good way to see what is preying on your animals, and my bet is domestic dogs also. Some domestic dogs are great jumpers, and my guess is the predators are a pack of 'neighborhood' animals. Even if they catch them in the act the so-called owners will defend "Fluffy" to the bitter end. If you establish ownership, then I would sue the owners everyway you can, and for punative damages also.

I would also have animal control alert the local and emergency vets' offices. I suspect that unless you found a lot of wool around, the animals probably ate it, and that could lead to illness in the animal. Someone's dog turns up sick from eating wool it will be proof.
                              Last edited by JanM; Jan. 16, 2013, 07:38 AM.
                              You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Protecting sheep is why my hay farmer took the donkey when I was looking for a home for her. He was losing sheep to coyotes, but with the donkey he has only lost 1 or 2 and he wasn't sure that was coyotes. She will also go after dogs, especially if they act agressive.

It might be something to look into. Donkeys are cheap to keep and live and eat the same as your minis.

Christa

Comment

What a horrific sounding scene to come home to. So sorry for your losses and having to deal with that.

Comment

I'm so sorry, BabyGoose.
                                    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

I'm SO sorry ~ ((HUGS)) ~ how terrible !

I am So sorry to read about your terible loss ~ ((hugs)) ~

Hoping that this is resolved as quickly as it appeared ~

Jingles & AO ~
                                      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

OMG how upsetting and horrible.

Jingles for your herd and jingles for you - hope you catch the culprit before it does any more harm !

Comment

Working...
                                        X