• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need new washing machine - what to buy that will clean muddy clothes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new washing machine - what to buy that will clean muddy clothes?

After 7 years, our Sears washer died and needs to be replaced. Problem is, most of the washers I've seen do not have agitators, don't use much water (washer brain determines how much to use), and have auto sensors for water temperature. How can they possibly clean my muddy jeans in one cycle? My sister-in-law says she needs to run a bleach & water cycle once a week to keep the water & clothes from smelling bad. Who with horses has time for that? For the last month, I've been washing our clothes in the washer in our barn but that's getting to be a hassle.

Has anybody here bought a washer in the past year? What did you buy and are you satisfied with it? Thanks.

We bought our front loader several years ago and have been putting it to the test ever since. We wash horse blankets in it, barn clothes, lots and lots of dog bedding, work-in-the-city clothes, you name it. Ours is some sort of GE model with a million options for cycles. The answer to the minimal water question is that the clothes wash each other, sort of, by agitating more with less water and soap - like scrubbing them against a washboard compared to soaking them in a bucket. Ours has a cycle for 'extra dirty" and we use that for barn clothes and horse blankets. We use the minimum amount of HE (high efficiency) detergent made for front loaders. We make sure the water is softened (important around here). We only use hot or warm water when absolutely necessary. And, key to the musty smell issue - we leave the door open, and soap door open, whenever it's not in use. We occasionally use a little bleach with a wash load, but never need to specifically bleach it to kill a musty smell, because it never gets musty as long as we leave the door open. We find we need to clean the drain filter for the laundry sink after every load, which is different from our old washer, but get a lot less lint in the dryer, and stuff dries really fast because it's spun so much dryer by the washer. The cycle is longer but you get used to it - the net time per load is probably the same because the dryer takes less time. So yes, we love ours and it uses a LOT less soap and a LOT less water.

Comment

Depending on how much you have to invest, what about looking into an industrial or commercial grade washer like what they have at laundromats?

Comment

I also 2nd the keep the front-loader's wash door cracked open to keep it from getting stinky. It works.
        Love my front load washer! But I do NOT wash horse blankets in it.

Comment

Speed Queen= the front loader if you can afford it.

I just got their mid-line top loader and I LOVE it. It's an old school, real deal washer.

Comment

Glad you posted this. I have an old Maytag front loader that has served me will for about 12 years, but now leaks beyond reasonable repair.

I am trying to decide between another front loader and top loader without agitator.
            Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

I have a HE Samsung top loader without the agitator and it is great, but not for washing horse blankets. I assume this, based on how it left soap on my comforter (using the comforter cycle). I think the issue I run into is if I really fill the load full (like my queen sized comforter). If I am not overloading the washer, it does great and I am very happy. I was worried because my aunt and uncle have a different model and absolutely loathe their top loader.

I do not have the biggest or most expensive one either. That could make a difference.

I don't think my mom's front load Samsung (which is the typical floor model one at the big box stores) would do a great job with a horse blanket either, but again, that's because it isn't big enough.

The Speed Queen at the laundry mat is a front loader and does great, but it is also huge! I just sneak my blankets in there and then clean it really well and haven't been forbidden from using it yet.

Washers jumped in price in 2012, unfortunately. I had looked the year before and was a bit sticker shocked to see the jump in price a year later.
              DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Your sister in law should start leaving the door to the washer open. That nasty smell happens when it's moist and warm. You won't get it if you leave the washer open when not in use. Easier on a top load than a front load of course.

Honestly, you probably want to go with the less expensive/automated washers for the stuff you're worried about. That gives you more control.

But regardless, you may want to let your muddy clothing dry and then try to shake/brush off as much mud as possible before washing to avoid clogging your drain and such.
                A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

We have a top loader without agitator and it sucks! As soon as this dies, and it can't come soon enough, we are going to a front loader.
                  A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

We have a kenmore top loader, with agitator. After our last died I researched on consumer reports and got one with manual dials. Turns out the circuit board on the fancy digital models fails, as our old one did. This model works nicely.

Comment

I love my front load. It's a miele so can't compare to other brands but I wash everything in it. Muddy clothes, camping gear, winter blankets (except the heaviest are too big), wool coolers, saddle pads, dog beds, fancy work clothes, silk blouses.....It gets everything very clean. I have to be careful not to use too much detergent on the big blankets since they are harder to rinse.

I play around with the settings. For horse blankets I wash on delicate with extra rinse, or on the heavy soil which gives them a pre-wash. Delicate adds more water than regular cycles. I will never go back to top load of any kind.
                      I just bought the biggest LG front load for my barn. I am concerned since I've never been a fan of LG but it was the biggest capacity I could find. Haven't used it yet though!
                      I looked into a commercial washer but they were 10x the cost of domestic.

Comment

we have a miele front loader. It is quite small but can be stuffed with clothes that always come out clean,we use very little detergent, but a brand that goes with the machine (Persil). I

never wash horse blankets in it but it does all my muddy barn clothes very, very well. The only downside is the initial cost, as it is from Germany it is quite expensive. I also know that they last forever, my grandmother had hers for over 20 years with no problems and when she passed my cousin got it and is still using it.

Comment

This is the one that came with my apartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj5vGG3Jex4

It's worked really well for me. Ditto the other information about leaving the door open to dry. You can also run a bleach or white vinegar cycle once in a while.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the information which is extremely helpful. The front loaders sound best but are a problem for me with my low back issues -- although a LG combo front load washer-dryer is tempting except for $1600 price tag. I have a washer in the barn so won't do horsey things in the house machine. It's just that my clothes can get filthy very quickly and I don't want to get stuck doing multiple cycles. I may just get another with an agitator . . . . Going this morning to check out some more machines. Feeling that I need to make the decision and get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                              Your sister in law should start leaving the door to the washer open. That nasty smell happens when it's moist and warm. You won't get it if you leave the washer open when not in use. Easier on a top load than a front load of course.

Honestly, you probably want to go with the less expensive/automated washers for the stuff you're worried about. That gives you more control.

But regardless, you may want to let your muddy clothing dry and then try to shake/brush off as much mud as possible before washing to avoid clogging your drain and such.
                              Real muddy stuff gets dumped into a dedicated muck bucket in the driveway and prewashed before bringing it into the house. I also got a used washer from Habitat for Humanity that sits outside my barm for horse stuff. I don't want mud and horsehair in my pipes
                              I wasn't always a Smurf
                              Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Someone invented a mini fan specifically for getting rid of front load washer smells, https://washerfan.com/

Comment

most brands of front load washers & dryers have risers or lifts to bring them up higher so you won't have to bend so far down.

Comment

I bought a GE frontloader about a year ago on sale for about $650. I love it. I wash everything in it, from mud-covered barn clothing to horse blankets to towels we cleaned the dog off with after she's gone for a dip in the swamp. Everything comes out smelling and looking wonderful and the spin cycle is incredible. There is so little water in the clothing after it's washed that the time needed to dry it is about half of what I'm used to with the old washer we had (that spewed boiling hot water all over our basement).

I always leave the door open when the washer is not in use and in the year that I've had it, I've only had to run a bleach/cleaning cycle once and that was after I washed all of my horses RANK blankets last spring.

Another tip is to be careful of how much detergent you're using. These low-water front loaders need very little detergent. With my old washer, I was using about 3/4 cups of detergent per load. With the new washer, I only need about 1/8-1/4 cup because it uses such little water.

It has been great for our electricity bill (less time in the electric dryer), I go through one bottle of detergent about every two months now since I use so much less of it per load, and I am thrilled with how well it cleans my heavy duty stuff like the horse blankets.

I have a lot of back problems and don't have issues with taking the clothes out of this washer because they have such little water left in them that they're remarkably light to pick up, not like some sopping wet heap of material. But if you are worried about bending over, then get one of the risers like another poster mentioned. I've seen them available for most brands.
                                    http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

When we built our house, we thought we were so clever in putting our front load washer and dryer under the counter, so it looked built in. Loved it, until it quit (Kenmore, made by Frigidaire then...I think LG and Maytag make the current Kenmores). Hard to find replacements that fit, so had to go Frigidaire again to fit the spot and now that one is on its last legs, so I'm shopping replacements. I wish now I had designed the laundry room to fit washer/dryer on pedestals as that would help my back...when we originally went front loader, that wasn't a common option like it is now.

I will still go front loader as I think it does a great job cleaning. I just won't go with Frigidaire. Ours is literally falling apart. Within the first couple of years (beyond warranty, of course), the door handle broke off, the soap dispenser shattered, and the main body of the machine behind the soap drawer has cracked! I mean, mechanical issues are one thing, and we've had plenty of those as well, but I can't believe how the plastic has just disintegrated.

So now I'm deciding whether to buy something that goes under counter or redo the room to make one on a pedestal fit. In the meantime, I duct tape the soap dispenser closed and use a screwdriver to open the handle less door, and keep on washing until it fails completely!

Comment

• Original Poster

Just got back from Sears where I bought a top load washer with agitator and no brain so I get to make all of the decisions which I like. I appreciate all of your posts especially those about the front loads and low back issues and horse poor's comments which took into account the laundry room configuration which also played a huge part in my decision.

I liked the front loads w matching dryer when placed on pedestals and could see how these would be easy for me plus everyone here is saying they do a better job cleaning. The problem I run into there tho is that our laundry room is small and the room you go through when parking in the garage. Darling granddaughter comes every weekend and all holidays and throws all her gear on top the dryer. Barn jackets, hats & ariats get tossed on the washer. There really is no other place. The drawer in the pedestals for the front loads didn't look like they could stand up to the abuse from kids.

What we got is pretty much what I was satisfied with the past seven years. Once it's installed I have 60 days to change my mind.

Thanks again And horse poor, I don't envy your predicament. Dealing with contractors is even worse than selecting a new washer and you have both!

Comment

Working...
                                        X