• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Last Shot - 2 yo male Kuvasz with behavioral problems needs home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Shot - 2 yo male Kuvasz with behavioral problems needs home

(Cross posting)
    My friends do foster for a Kuvasz rescue. They have a lot of experience & have rehabbed many troubled dogs into solid citizens & placed them in good homes. They've literally helped 100s of dogs so they know what they are doing.

In spite of this good handling, this boy is still unpredictably biting. He was given up by a family for biting a kid. He has bitten both of the foster couple. Apparently he can be good & friendly for some time, & then out of the blue snap at someone. My male friend is closer to him, plays tug of war & takes him on walks. He thinks he can be rehabbed with more time, but my girlfriend (correctly I think - she has boarders with kids on the place) sees him as a dangerous liability. The rescue that placed him with them has irresponsibly bailed on offering any help.

He most definitely is not a candidate for a normal pet home, but maybe someone is out there with a big farm & flock guardian dog experience that thinks they might want to try? You'd have to sign a release stating you know you are taking on a dangerous dog.

He has an appointment to be euthed Monday night. Not necesarily the wrong thing to do, of course, but I just thought I'd post his story here in case anyone thought they might have a home for a troubled Kuvasz. Long shot, I know.

If interested PM me & I will give you the foster dad's phone #.

have they tried contacting the guardian folks at lgd.org?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

You may want to check out Pedigree Database and make a thread in the All Breed section (pedigreedatabase.com) as there are a lot of people there who may be able to help. Most have or have had difficult dogs and know how to place them in safe homes.

Comment

Good for your friends. It's a tough, tough decision. I've had to make the same choice for a dog I got from a rescue. The rescue did step up when I called with my decision. NC law calls for a 10 day quarentine for dogs that attack humans before euth. I surmise for rabies purposes, but I had the dog for 6 months before. And he was UTD on shots. I tried for 5 months.
        Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

Those dogs scare the heck out of me, along with Great Pyrenees
          I know it is my experience, but I find them aloof ad somewhat agressive
          HAd a bad experience with one once.

Comment

You've got a dog that is a prime candidate for euthanasia. This is not a PC choice in these waters, but when you've got at least THREE bites then you've got a DANGEROUS animal. It is irresponsible beyond words to keep this dog in "the stream of commerce."

Years ago we put down a really nice St. Bernard after it's third bite. I had a Great Pyr go "rogue" and kill four sheep one night. That one, too, was put down. It would have been criminally negligent of me to try and put either of these dogs in someone else's home.

Man up and end the danger.

G.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

There are SO MANY sweet, loving, tolerant, mentally stable dogs out there that need a home and don't get one.

Euthanasia is the best thing in this case. It sucks all around, but a Kuvasz is a BIG dog, making him that much more dangerous. Even flock dogs have to interact with humans on some level at some point. Put him down.

Comment

Maybe this isn't the place for this but I agree with Guilherme, and, um, dog sounds like it has a short circuit somewhere---euthing should be the only option, to me it's very irresponsible to send this dog somewhere else, essentially into the unknown. The people have full control right now, they won't after this dog leaves. I'm actually surprised that the clause about taking a dangerous dog, that has a bite record is even legal!
                I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

Sad to say but this dog is unfortunately, dangerous and un predictable. To ask some one else to deal with this is not fair or safe. Its not if the dog will bite again, its when. And who is going to be the next bite victim? If the victim is a child, a dog of that size could do unthinkable damage. The deal is, this is a situation where if you think you can control this dog, or not let that happen again, it is only a delusion.

I have spent a lifetime dealing with dogs like this, and many times was a last stop, before euthanasia, and some you just cant fix or save. It sounds like this dog falls into this catagorie.

As for the people you speak of that rehab or work with dogs of this nature, please advise them that playing tug of war with this type of dog is not a good idea, and may feed agressive dogs behavior towards more agression.
                  Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

Years ago when I did rescue we had a dog come through that was a tough nut to crack. He was too much for the owners to handle, very excitable, no one in the rescue could train this dog. He also had serious Separation Anxiety, though I don't recall a biting issue. Anywho, we had one member who was able to find this dog a place with a group that trained dogs to become drug sniffing dogs. It was the best thing ever, but they had to pass a lengthy test to be accepted. He went through the program that lasts almost a full year and graduated to sniff out drugs in airports! That's a great story, but not the norm. I'm not sure with a history of biting he could honestly be placed anywhere. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole honestly. Risk losing home owners insurance over a bite and god forbid a serious bite that wounded a human. Sometimes Euthanasia is in the best interest for all involved and the time and money can be spent on a dog that is worth the effort.
                    Your friends gave it a try but his time may just be up. I'm sorry I'm not more hopeful. Maybe someone will pull through for him in the end. Good luck.
                    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

Comment

The dog needs to be put down. A dog with a history of biting would not be suitable as a LGD. Livestock owners in general and specifically flock owners have NO interest in dogs that bite humans or animals. Typically they are running businesses and cannot afford dogs that will harm livestock or put them at risk for liability. A large dog with a history of biting--esp. multiple bites--cannot be responsibly re-homed.

Comment

I had a very good friend who imported two beautiful Kuvasz puppies. He gave one to a close friend and kept one for himself. The friends puppy turned on the instructor in the puppy training class. After many trainers and many savage attacks the puppy was scheduled to be put down at six months. My friend took the pupy back to save it. His puppy also bit several times. He had to construct a separate living space for those two dogs. He struggled with those dogs for many years. He then passed away unexpectedly , the dogs had to be shot. I would never have a kuvasz. They are not really very good pets. Put it down before it maims some one.
                        Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Comment

I have an Anatolian Shepherd, which is also a LGD and quite similar (although perhaps less sharp) in temperament to the Kuvasz and GP. My experience is that while these dogs can be very laid back most of the time when they make a decision they can be very very fast, too quick to retract a snap or bite. Mine has never bitten but he has warned/growled. With one bite, I would seriously be thinking euthanasia.

With the bite history this Kuvasz has I would put him to sleep without question and without any doubt in my mind. These breeds are incredibly powerful and have the potential to be extremely dangerous. One bite could kill a child. There should be no hesitation.

Comment

The handlers who have him now have all the experience and have called it a day - go with their opinions. Sadly, we can't save everything in this world.
                            I agree with what others have said.
                            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Hulk View Post
                              As for the people you speak of that rehab or work with dogs of this nature, please advise them that playing tug of war with this type of dog is not a good idea, and may feed aggressive dogs behavior towards more aggression.
                              YES. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks playing tug of war with an aggressive, biting prone dog, is a baaaad idea.

Please put this animal to sleep. Not all animals can, and should, be "saved." This dog is a prime example.
                              Barn rat for life

Comment

Kuvasvs are not pets...they have a job to do...by themselves with their flocks. NOT PETS.

We've a neighbor with a Kuvasv...psycho dog he wanted since the breed is from his mother country...truly dislike this breed off the farm.
                                "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Originally posted by Cluck View Post
                                  I have an Anatolian Shepherd, which is also a LGD and quite similar (although perhaps less sharp) in temperament to the Kuvasz and GP. My experience is that while these dogs can be very laid back most of the time when they make a decision they can be very very fast, too quick to retract a snap or bite. Mine has never bitten but he has warned/growled. With one bite, I would seriously be thinking euthanasia.

With the bite history this Kuvasz has I would put him to sleep without question and without any doubt in my mind. These breeds are incredibly powerful and have the potential to be extremely dangerous. One bite could kill a child. There should be no hesitation.
                                  Plus, LGD's have to work independently without human supervision or intervention, roaming with the herd. You can't have a known biter un supervised.
                                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                                  Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

continued on Giveaway:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ems-needs-home

Comment

I have experienced this with a friend's dog, whom a well-respected trainer, a true dog advocate, called a "flash biter" - almost like an epileptic episode, no way to predict, made no sense at all. The trainer and vet both said "lawsuit waiting to happen" and the dog was euthanized. If there had been any alternative at all, I know that trainer would have pushed for it.

Comment

Kuvasz

I am so sorry to hear about the reputation my lovely breed has on here. That's why it's so important to go to a good breeder. One who understands the entire breed and how it fits into the working home (some might be kennel dogs with a few sheep, etc thrown in but they don't interact with predators)

To the last chance dog, could you please email me at northkuvasz@yahoo.com?

I know it might be too late for the dog but considering many of us try to keep up with kuvasz in need, none of us have heard of this dog so would like to help with the dog if still alive or work with the rescue organizations that assisted, or didn't assist.

In 20+ years, I've bred and owned over 30 kuvasz, and none have bitten me. Never even thought about it. My dogs go straight from guarding the property (first in Alaska where we had brown bears feed on the banks of the river 70 feet in front of the house to Montana where we've had big cats, wolves and bears come off the continental divide across the property) to the show ring where they don't go after other dogs or people. Now the kuvasz can be capable of getting into trouble if the owners do not train or socialize them correctly and let them get into trouble, but with good genetics and good husbandry, there is no reason they should be uncontrollable biters.

Deborah Blank
                                        Glacier Creek Kuvasz
                                        glaciercreekkuvasz.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X