• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New (to me) truck is killing my back/hips. Ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) truck is killing my back/hips. Ideas?

I bought a used truck a couple of weeks ago in the (vain) hope it would keep the one I drive daily a bit cleaner.

The new to me truck is old and battered, but it's sound and it was cheap. I took it to pick up some hay last night and I was in pain as I was driving back. The entire round trip had taken 30-40 mins.

I'm still adjusting the seat so it might be that I just haven't hit the sweet spot yet. The current driving position makes my back and hips ache as I'm driving. My normal truck doesn't.

Any ideas? I'm planning to try a slim cushion behind my back to see if that helps.

Thanks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Is it a Ford? I find the Ford seats VERY uncomfortable for travelling any length of time...it's a shame, because some of my favorite trucks are Fords... definitely try a cushion, and something else to sit on, because it doesn't get any better, trust me!

Ford, are you listening? Make your seats more comfortable!!!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

Originally posted by kari View Post
      Is it a Ford? I find the Ford seats VERY uncomfortable for travelling any length of time...
      I think it depends on the Ford. The old 2001 Ranger of mine had comfy seats. My dad's Ranger ('99 I think) had comfy seats. My new Fusion has comfy seats (with butt warmers too!). My grandfather's Explorer Sport Trac...complete agony. I've made the same seven-hour trip to the fishing cabin in all three trucks and the only one I come out crippled in is the Sport Trac.

One of those lumbar support gizmos you can buy to put on an office chair might help your back. If it's cutting you in the back of the thighs too, one of those wedge pads to elevate your rear would help with that. Also, depending on the vehicle's age and the costs, you might be able to replace the seats.

Comment

• Original Poster

It is a Ford!

Strange, because I have no problem with the seats usually. (The pool cars at work are all Fords.)

I have a lumbar support. I'll try that. It's the only vehicle that I've ever got out of lamer than I got in! :lol!

Just sent my mechanic an email about replacing the seats. I probably could do it, but I'm living in a sea of mud right now. I'd rather pay someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by kookicat View Post
          It is a Ford!
          I don't know what it is about the Ford Trucks, but they kill me, especially my hips! I can't move at all after an extended trip. Try adding something more padded to sit on. I think my problem is that I am short, so I feel like I am constantly reaching for petals?
          Good luck...worse case scenario, go to a junkyard and replace the seats!
          ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm short too! Maybe I need longer legs...

Comment

I'm short too! Maybe I need longer legs...
              I'm 5'7" (average?) but I don't think longer legs will relieve your pain. The seats just tilt at a weird angle in some models so it's not like you're sitting in a normal chair but instead are jack-knifed a bit with your knees forced higher than usual....if that visual makes sense.

Comment

Is recommend something to sit on - it might be jarring your back that way. Also get a mechanic to look it over and see if the suspension is working right. When I had a PT Cruiser and I needed a shock/strut replacement it was really jarring on my back.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by VaqueroToro View Post
                  I'm 5'7" (average?) but I don't think longer legs will relieve your pain. The seats just tilt at a weird angle in some models so it's not like you're sitting in a normal chair but instead are jack-knifed a bit with your knees forced higher than usual....if that visual makes sense.
                  That is actually how I feel when I'm driving it. Just couldn't put it into words. I feel like I'm jamming my legs down to use the pedals.

I'm shorter than you by a few inches.

Originally posted by DancingArabian View Post
                  Is recommend something to sit on - it might be jarring your back that way. Also get a mechanic to look it over and see if the suspension is working right. When I had a PT Cruiser and I needed a shock/strut replacement it was really jarring on my back.
                  I'm going to add a cushion behind my back and I'll try a thin cushion on the seat. (Maybe a rolled up towel to boost me forward a bit.)

Everything I buy gets a good check up before I drive it, so I'm pretty sure that the suspension is fine. I will ask about it though.

Comment

I'm 5 feet tall and I have my problems with our 96 F250 too-love the dang thing half to death but it hurts!

One thing that worked really well for me was a yard chair cushion-back and bottom in one piece. Exhibit A: http://www.meijer.com/s/hunter-green...io&kpid=170172

I really really toyed with the idea of attaching blocks to the pedals but it's really DH's truck to drive and he's nearly a foot and half taller than I am! LOL The clutch was the worst for me-down in a hole.

Next Ford was a 99 automatic with automatic seats. Much better.
                    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

I bought a McCartys Sacroease about 10 years ago. I use it in every vehicle I drive. It wasn't cheap, but was WELL worth it!

http://www.mccartys.com/

Comment

That is actually how I feel when I'm driving it. Just couldn't put it into words. I feel like I'm jamming my legs down to use the pedals.

I'm shorter than you by a few inches.

I'm going to add a cushion behind my back and I'll try a thin cushion on the seat. (Maybe a rolled up towel to boost me forward a bit.)

Everything I buy gets a good check up before I drive it, so I'm pretty sure that the suspension is fine. I will ask about it though.
                        Does it have adjustable pedals? My mom & dad's 01 -250SD has electric pedal adjustment. If it does that might help...

ETA: I have no idea if that's commonly available or not...
                        Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
                        http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

The last pickups have been Fords and no problems.

My friend uses mine for long trips, as his, not a Ford, makes him sore.
                          He is 6'+ and I am 4'11", but the pedals go up and down, the steering wheel tilts and the seat has all kinds of adjustments, seat forward or back, angle, height, back support and tilt on the back part.

Don't forget to check mirrors, as some angles may make you lean funny to see well.

I would say, if you do well in other pickups and not that one, consider trading, do not keep driving a vehicle that is hurting you.
                          Go back to the dealer and if he is honest, he should help you find a better fit.

Several friends with newer GMCs complain those are very rough when not on very smooth highways, but they have the bigger ones, that tend to be noisier and rougher anyway, in any brand, I think.

Comment

If the Ford is an F250 or bigger you might be able to find the seats from a Excursion..they were are on the same platform

Comment

Ouch. DH drove the same F-150 for over a dozen years. Then he thought he'd treat himself to a new(er) Dodge and give the old Ford to our son. Soon after, he started developing hip/leg pain, doctor diagnosed sciatica. Did exercises and all sorts of stuff. The most relief he would get would be when he would not drive anywhere for a day or two, and we started putting two + two together. Now our son has the Dodge and DH no longer has sciatica.
                              FWIW, if you're only going to use the truck occasionally, you might get some relief from sitting on a pad/pillow and/or having lumbar support... or maybe even switching out the seats in the truck with another truck. Good luck!

Comment

I'd bet that your truck's seat is broken down, only takes a few years to happen. I have a wedge seat cushion on all my vehicles.

example:
                                http://www.amazon.com/Original-Tush-...e+cushion+firm

Even my office chair has a wedge cushion. These will make all the difference for you. They fill the hole that an older seat developes, raises you up so your hips open up, your lower back is on a better location on the seat back, removes pressure on the underside of your legs, just all-around improvement. Be sure to move your truck seat far enough forward. If you are too far back then you "reach" for the gas pedal and that stresses your back.

I've learned to buy the thicker firmer foam for my truck, the extra lift is even better.

chicamuxen

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! The towel is helping. I've ordered a wedge pad and will try that.

Truck is a Ford Ranger, like this one (Not mine, by the way. I'm not daft enough to buy a white truck!)

Comment

My chiropractor gave me a tip that really helped. She suggested a cheap roll of paper towels, so that you can move it around- between your shoulder blades, lumbar support, etc. Her feeling was that some of the permanent ones were nice, but people need more mobility. And when your dog throws up in the car, you have an emergency stash to clean it with. I like the cheaper smaller rolls, they crunch right down to the perfect size. Good luck OP, I drive a sporttrac, and its a killer!

Comment

We had a 1994 4x4 Ford Ranger for 14 years.
                                      It is still going strong in a neighbor's farm and no one ever noticed getting sore on it.

The seats are not made for heavy people, they sink in and don't come back up.
                                      We are not that heavy, so it was fine for us.

I would say, try a cushion, or get a different pickup.

Comment

I have had the used truck seat pain too. It is a great thing to go used on a vehicle, but sometimes the seats just don't fit. It is kinda like wearing somebody else's shoes. You assume their foot walking pattern, which can cause issues in your body.

I would suggest a brand new seat for your truck. They are out there. It may not be made buy your truck's maker, it may be, but they are surely out there. That way YOU can create your own seat pattern by the way you sit. A new seat is much less expensive than a new vehicle. Also because people do odd things to seats in vehicles (tear the to shreds for example) there is a market for new seats. Hey maybe you could get seat heaters when you get the new seat.

You could try a fuzzy sheepskin type cover. I *know* it is only a bandaid for the problem. But for me it helped a some for a car I had.

My first truck a '73 Chevy (bought in 88) the bench seat tilted to the left, and where my left hip was it really fell off and tipped towards the door. I think somebody (and maybe weighed alot or it was a cheap seat to begin with) sat there and hung their arm out the window when they drove the truck at all times. The seat started to really give me issues in my back. Finally we sold the truck, and I got a bigger used truck to haul my trailer.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X